Unsolicited Advice

3 hours ago, Mzuri said:

@Pioneer1

BTW, where were you today?  Cynique was asking 

about you.  I think she might have been jonesing.  

Sheeeyit.....

If she ain't got nothing better to do she can take her ass back up to her old job at the post office and start braiding some hair again...lol.

image.jpeg.6fa59e4e2d5389be902b71f24e5cca92.jpeg

"Girl hold still.....shit!"

• Haha 1

13 hours ago, Mzuri said:

I heard there were people graduating from that are illiterate.  How can you get through college when you can't even read and write?

College tuition is through the roof. Being able to afford it is one way to get a pass. Athletics is the other route.

Either way, it's not very hard for  folks who do not read and/or write well to graduate with a degree.

Over the course of my career, it never ceases to amaze me that so many educated folks write so poorly. It's not a matter of color either.

IMO, intelligence is no longer a valued commodity in our society.  The dumbing down and acceptance of mediocrity is on full display  every day. 😎

• Like 1

When I was a kid....
The teachers used to CORRECT you when you used words like "ain't" or used double negatives like "ain't got no".

By the time I got to highschool they STOPPED doing that and just let the kids talk however they wanted to.

Same thing with handwritting.
The teachers used to grade you on how neat and legible your handwriting was....then they stopped.

I'm seeing a connection between the school system and the police where at a certain point in time they just LET things deteriorate. 

38 minutes ago, Pioneer1 said:

When I was a kid....
The teachers used to CORRECT you when you used words like "ain't" or used double negatives like "ain't got no".

Same thing with handwritting.
The teachers used to grade you on how neat and legible your handwriting was....then they stopped.

I'm seeing a connection between the school system and the police where at a certain point in time they just LET things deteriorate. 

Facts.  Everything we were taught is different now. 

Double negatives are OK.  Now, ain't is in the dictionary as a contraction for am not, are not and is not.

Cursive handwriting is no longer taught in schools.  Young folks learn how to print and that's it.  That's probably because  they will end typing (smartphones and computers) more than writing. 

No need for a signature as checks and money orders are going out of style and forms have been digitized.  Everything can be paid for by a card or scan app and signed electronically or scribbled.

There is definitely a  school to prison pipeline which includes a conection to the police department.   

Reminds me of speed traps and traffic cameras.  Anything to criminalize folks and/or make money when they break and/or don't follow the rules.😎

• Thanks 1

22 hours ago, Cynique said:

Most people know right from wrong. They just live by their own code. 

Again, that depends.  One's moral code defines what is right or wrong they are not separate.

Here is question for you @Cynique (or anyone).  If the police call you in to question you about an illegal activity (say selling small quantities of marijuana) that you know a family member engaged in; is it right or wrong to tell the police about your family member's illegal activity?

17 hours ago, Cynique said:

In fact, the graduation rate is up for black kids.

It does not matter very much as the wealth gap has only widened. Plus I'm pretty sure the educational system was better in your day Cynique that it is today (what do you think).  Of course quality of education impacts life outcomes and class.

17 hours ago, Cynique said:

incidentally i did not lead a sheltered life.  

Again this is relative.  Have you ever be a victim of a violent crime?  Have you ever committed one.  Have your even done crack, heroin, or any of the harder drugs.  Have you ever turned a trick?  The questions were rhetorical, asked to make a point.

17 hours ago, Mzuri said:

There's a few people on here with typos including you, me, and Troy.  This does not invalidate a person's comments and pointing out typos is crass.

True, everyone who has ever posted here, including Cynique, is guilty of making typos.  On an informal discussion forum like this one there is no expectation for perfectly written posts.  If the typos make something unclear, one can easily ask for clarification.

3 hours ago, ProfD said:

... intelligence is no longer a valued commodity in our society. 

This is a low class, as our media focuses on appealing to our lower, baser selves, as it is more profitable, this contributes to the dumbing down of our country. 

To the senior people reading this like @Cynique, or any lurkers who'd like to contribute, do you think the culture is dumbing down to the point where intelligence is no longer valued?

I say but i do not proclaim, to the blare of trumpets, that there are 3 positive things one can do to give one a better start in becoming upwardly mobile. That's all I am saying, and i stick by it. All the extenuating circumstance you guys dredge up are valid, but they do not invalidate a formula which has worked for many people. And I still say, that just because black people of a certain class may be more expedient than moral, they do know right from wrong.  Their impulsiveness may determine their actions but upon reflection they know  what gets them in trouble  

Pioneer threw shade on the younger generation by making fun of their forms and methods of expression, and I reminded him that he is not perfect, himself. Young people would find him obsolete. 

As a member of a dying generation. i would agree that Society has dumbed things down.  Kids nowadays do tend to be one-dimensional, not having a broad scope of knowledge and thinking that anything which happened before they were born is unimportant.  They are adept at computer skill sets, but lacking in practical applications.  Having said that, one thing I have observed from frequentlng FaceBook is that the average black adult does not have a great command of the English language; and Ebonics and careless speech are firmly entrenched in their self expression. Just an observation.  But they are also sympathetic and forgiving and endowed with insight and mother wit.   Times are changing and people are evolving. That's to be expected.  The LGBQ community is not going to disappear.   IMO

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, Cynique said:

Kids nowadays do tend to be one-dimensional, not having a broad scope of knowledge and thinking that anything which happened before they were born is unimportant.  They are adept at computer skill sets, but lacking in practical applications.  Times are changing and people are evolving. That's to be expected. 

I'm wondering if that will unburden the current and future generation of  black folks with any shackles of  grievance towards white supremacy and provide them with an

indifference towards racism that allows them to operate within a sphere that  it is what it is but doesn't stop one from getting theirs if they are smart and work hard enough. 

Maybe that mindset along with a biracial population explosion will bring racism to its knees.  Oh well, I may not be around to see it manfest but the thought of it happening delights my eternal optimism. 😎

14 minutes ago, ProfD said:

I'm wondering if that will unburden the current and future generation of  black folks with any shackles of  grievance towards white supremacy and provide them with an

indifference towards racism that allows them to operate within a sphere that  it is what it is but doesn't stop one from getting theirs if they are smart and work hard enough. 

What? 

20 minutes ago, Cynique said:

What? 

My bad. I should have typed current and future generation of young black folks.  Many of them are not taught about and/or don't think much of slavery. civil rights or any other black struggles from the past.  It's all about their technology and social media feed.😁😎

19 minutes ago, ProfD said:

My bad. I should have typed current and future generation of young black folks.  Many of them are not taught about and/or don't think much of slavery. civil rights or any other black struggles from the past.  It's all about their technology and social media feed.😁😎

OK Gotcha. Yes, i agree with what you say.  And, as usual, i am pessimistic. I don't think this will be reversed. The up coming generations will make the world over in their own image and - go from there... 

Troy

Here is question for you @Cynique (or anyone).  If the police call you in to question you about an illegal activity (say selling small quantities of marijuana) that you know a family member engaged in; is it right or wrong to tell the police about your family member's illegal activity?

It depends on the family member.
But generally speaking, I think it would be wrong to go to the cops and tell on a family member for such a mild offense.
The punishment and problems it would cause would out weigh any harm that came from smoking weed.

Especially when they're starting to legalize it all over the nation anyway.

ProfD

Maybe that mindset along with a biracial population explosion will bring racism to its knees.

Well according to the teachings of Neely Fuller you either have White, Non-white, or White Supremacist.

Biracials fall into the category of NON-WHITE.
The White Supremacists would continue to be just as racist and harmful to them as they are to full blooded people of color.

.....again, according to the teachings of Neely Fuller Jr.

30 minutes ago, Pioneer1 said:

Maybe that mindset along with a biracial population explosion will bring racism to its knees.

Well according to the teachings of Neely Fuller you either have White, Non-white, or White Supremacist.

Biracials fall into the category of NON-WHITE.
The White Supremacists would continue to be just as racist and harmful to them as they are to full blooded people of color.

That is correct. Mainly wishful thinking on my part.😁😎

• Haha 1