The Benefits of CoWorking: Exposure to Venture Capital

I described some of the benefits working in a coworking space in an earlier conversation, so I figured I'd share this video.  The Brother in the video runs a venture capital firm which operates out of the office I'm in.  This has inspired me to think about AALBC in new ways. 

In 60 seconds, Lightship Capital’s General Partner, Brian Brackeen, describes three of their programs to support Entrepreneurs:

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Troy said:

In 60 seconds, Lightship Capital’s General Partner, Brian Brackeen, describes three of their programs to support Entrepreneurs:

************************************************************************************

@Troy

This is great info.  Hopefully it will help someone here who needs it.

@Pioneer1 is correct.  Oklahoma is considered as part of the South.

************************************************************************************

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Mzuri said:

This is great info.  Hopefully it will help someone here who needs it.

Yeah, they are doing good work.  I wish more communities did this.  VC funds are no longer limited to white boys in silicon valley.

23 minutes ago, Mzuri said:

@Pioneer1 is correct.  Oklahoma is considered as part of the South.

There are people, who actually live here, that would disagree with you two. 

Culturally, the place is more western than southern. The geography is why some people say it is in the Midwest.  

Troy

There are people, who actually live here, that would disagree with you two.

Come on man...
There are people down in Oklahoma who believe Trump is still President too, lol.

There are some people down there who believe Texas is it's own sovereign nation...lol.
I've actually TALKED to some of them.

Troy

I haven't lived in Tulsa, but I've been there a few times.

When I was there people talked with a southern twang.
In many establishments you walk into they were watching Fox News.
It was hot and when you left the city you'd see miles and miles of just flat land.

And this is the ABSOLUTE PROOF that Tulsa is down South:

Waffle House - Meal takeaway | 10516 E 11th St, Tulsa, OK 74128, USA

It has several Waffle Houses....lol

1 hour ago, Troy said:

In 60 seconds, Lightship Capital’s General Partner, Brian Brackeen, describes three of their programs to support Entrepreneurs:

Yeah, they are doing good work.  I wish more communities did this.  VC funds are no longer limited to white boys in silicon valley.

Yessir. This is awesome. It's the kinda thing that makes me proud of us. Literally paying it forward. 😎

• Thanks 1

The map is not a firm rule.  There, for example is nothing "southern" about El Paso.  I would consider Texas, culturally a western state.

North eastern Oklahoma has a more midwestern sensibility that the Oklahoma panhandle, but the entire state is very different than South Carolina or Georgia.

I would not try to shoehorn these definitions based upon state boundaries.

Besides if you got tripped up on the Brother referring to Tulsa as the Midwest, you failed to appreciate the reason I shared the video -- which is surprising given you espousing the importance of Black people supporting each other.

Troy

I would not try to shoehorn these definitions based upon state boundaries.

We're not talking about shoehorning though.
These are official definitions.

Oklahoma is OFFICIALLY a southern state.

There is no way around it.

Michigan is nothing like Nebraska....but both of them are "officially" Midwestern states.

Besides if you got tripped up on the Brother referring to Tulsa as the Midwest, you failed to appreciate the reason I shared the video -- which is surprising given you espousing the importance of Black people supporting each other.

After you lecturing me about mis-information you should understand why I value CORRECT information so much...lol.

If you start off giving misinformation, even if it's an honest mistake...that let's me know HOW fallible you are and causes me to question the efficacy of the rest of the information you offer.

Now granted, I don't know the brother personally so I'm not criticizing HIS information at all (except for his labeling Tulsa "Midwester"....lol);  and yes I DO support  good Black businesses.

However as I've said time and time again a lot of what we're calling "Black businesses" today are mere internet schemes and scams that produce little tangible benefits for the Black community.
It's merely Black men ATTEMPTING to imitate White men in shuffling money around from one pocket to the next....or from your pocket to there's..in various investment and crypt-currency schemes.

image.jpeg.e4ad8bc09c4be6be0ddc45d98e0dfd8b.jpeg

"Yes!!!

I just made $4.35 from my web based
crypto-currency "business"!
My wife will be so proud of me when she 
comes home from her REAL job at the 
hospital...that pays the bills while I
 play on the computer all day!!!"

I'm not a financial advisor or stock broker so I'm not sure how venture capitalism works.
But I know what a grocery store is.
I know what a hotel is.
I know what a gas station is.

These are solid concrete businesses that our community needs.

Classifying states by food and music might be more useful. In which case Texas has more in common with New Mexico than Louisiana.

However within a state there are vast differences. Harlem of old is very different than the Upper East Side. Which in turn is different than the West Side of old.

2 hours ago, Troy said:

The map is not a firm rule.  There, for example is nothing "southern" about El Paso.  I would consider Texas, culturally a western state.

50 minutes ago, Delano said:

Classifying states by food and music might be more useful. In which case Texas has more on common with New Mexico than Louisiana.

@Troy and @Delano

It all depends on what part of Texas you are in.

Texas, as a whole, is not culturally a western state.  It's too vast to classify 

as having only one personality.  Austin is different from Brownsville, and 

Dallas is different from Houston.  And then you have all the various cities 

and towns throughout.  This would be a very long post if I addressed all 

the major locations separately.  

There may be areas of Texas that eat New Mexico style food, but I'm five 

miles from the New Mexico border and I couldn't even tell you what that 

is.  Is it food that's made with green chile?  People in Lubbock don't

generally eat what people in Albuquerque are having.

We eat a lot of Mexican food at my house.  Things like enchiladas, tacos,

burritos, pozole, and huevos rancheros.  Salsa is the condiment of choice. 

We also eat Soul food, Italian food, German food, Greek food, etc. 

I do not limit myself on the type of food I consume.  I eat what's good.

If you travel to the gulf coast region of Texas, people eat more shrimp 

and other seafood based meals, and in East Texas, some of the cuisine 

is Cajun/Creole.

Again, you can't put the entire state of Texas in a single box, and you

definitely cannot classify it by its foods.

image.gif.b05fef28d3e6760b4f9376c41adcdba5.gif

44 minutes ago, Mzuri said:

It all depends on what part of Texas you are in.

1 hour ago, Delano said:

Classifying states by food and music might be more useful. In which case Texas has more on common with New Mexico than Louisiana.

However within a state there are vast differences. Harlem of old is very different than the Upper East Side. Which in turn is different than the West Side of old.

Yes I mentioned that possibility in my second sentence. And point out that even within a city there can be neighborhood differences.

• Like 1

On 10/26/2021 at 6:45 PM, Pioneer1 said:

After you lecturing me about mis-information you should understand why I value CORRECT information so much...lol.

Dude, again if native Oklahomans disagree with you that should tell you something. But you can check out this Forbes article on the Brother's company.  Forbes i a good white-owned company that you can believe, since you won't believe me 😉

Yes, food is regional and impacts the culture as more than state boundaries.

Southern Texas' cuisine is much more influenced by Mexico that the northern part of the state. Tulsa has more in common with Kansas City Missouri than it does with the OK panhandle.  It is also physically closer -- state boundaries be damned.

Troy

Dude, again if native Oklahomans disagree with you that should tell you something. 

It tells me that many Oklahomans...just like many people all over the nation...have been MIS-educated or NOT educated at all.

Take a look at these maps:

image.jpeg.893276b61b6b86275daf5d0d9efc7c87.jpeg      The Southern States – Part 2 - ppt video online download

Tulsa and the entire state of Oklahoma is clearly in the South.
That's a fact.
Facts aren't determined by consensus or HOW MANY people agree with it.

A lot of native Oklahomans are anti-vaxxers too...lol...a LOT of them.
Do you agree with that?

But you can check out this Forbes article on the Brother's company.  Forbes i a good white-owned company that you can believe, since you won't believe me.

I didn't say I did or didn't believe you.
I don't know the brother.
My focus was on his mis-statement about Tulsa being in the Midwest.  
It was inaccurate.

My only issue with what he was pushing was a GENERAL issue...not personal....that we need more brick-n-mortar businesses and less web-based businesses.
Or a less PROPORTION atleast.
Too many of our people have a laziness problem where they'd rather spend time playing games on the computer instead of putting on a pair of overalls and getting out doing some WORK.

1 hour ago, Pioneer1 said:

that we need more brick-n-mortar businesses and less web-based businesses.

@Pioneer1

These days, a serious business owner needs a combination

of both.

A hybrid, because people are searching and researching 

things online before they make their actual purchases.

The last time we bought a house, we researched online

for a couple of months before we agreed on the house

we wanted to buy.  And then we came to see it in person

and purchased it.

If it hadn't been listed online, we probably wouldn't have 

found this house.

That's just an example but more people are making their 

buying decisions based on what is online.

Restaurants need an online presence because people 

want to see what's on the menu before they go in 

person.  Especially now during pandemic.  And most 

need some type of online ordering system, to schedule 

deliveries, accept payments, etc. 

All those types of businesses require an online presence.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Mzuri said:

These days, a serious business owner needs a combination of both.

A hybrid, because people are searching and researching things online before they make their actual purchases.

Restaurants need an online presence because people want to see what's on the menu before they go in person.  Especially now during pandemic.  And most 

need some type of online ordering system, to schedule deliveries, accept payments, etc. 

All those types of businesses require an online presence.

@Mzuri is absolutely on point. 

Nowadays, fewer folks want  to show up in a office building to work, restaurant to eat or store to shop especially if they have to see PJs, bonnets, sagging pants, azz crack, eyelashes, Crocs and catch COVID.😁

@Pioneer1, I know you're a proponent of brick and mortar businesses and folks putting on overalls, rolling up sleeves and getting their hands dirty.  There is still a huge need for that kinda work too.  But, it takes a vision and a considerable investment to make that happen.  Jeff Bezos is proof positive.  His business is predicated on both.😎

• Haha 1

We definitely need an online presence to stay on top of modern technology.

However I don't want to see Black people putting the cart before the horse.

Online businesses and investing are careers of REFINEMENT.

These are careers you engage in when your INFRASTRUCTURE is already build, solid, and sound.

The housing is intact.
The plumbing is straight.
The roads and fixed.
The population is healthy.

The basics of society is already established.

Now you can go into your nice well built home..sit at your desk....and get online to engage in web-based activities.

image.jpeg.0ffb4c12733081c9ae46d43497bd23da.jpeg

White men have a full well rounded diversity of men who can do these things.

But if you're broke and homeless like a lot of our people are, with no construction or medical skills.
You have to PRIORITIZE and focus on what needs to be done the most.

Let's keep it real.

The reason you, me, and so many of our people can get on the computer RIGHT NOW and mess around....is because White men are keeping things running.

They are keeping the lights on, the heat going, the roads fixed, the grocery stores stocked with food, ect..
So Black folks don't feel any need to learn how to do these things.
But when they run out...and all you know how to is swap currency on the internet....what are you gonna do?

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Pioneer1 said:

Now you can go into your nice well built home..sit at your desk....and get online to engage in web-based activities.

That is a misconception.

You obviously have not heard about the nomad laptop lifestyle 

where people are running their online business wherever they 

happen to be.  Traveling the world, living in RVs, doing whatever.

Your life doesn't have to be perfect to setup an online business. 

It helps to be well-organized, but it's not a necessity.

6 hours ago, Mzuri said:

That is a misconception.

You obviously have not heard about the nomad laptop lifestyle 

where people are running their online business wherever they 

happen to be.  Traveling the world, living in RVs, doing whatever.

Your life doesn't have to be perfect to setup an online business. 

It helps to be well-organized, but it's not a necessity.

I've heard of it.
But I doubt that 90% of the population can actually make a living that way.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Pioneer1 said:

I've heard of it.

You're such a doubter.  Always doubting things.

Haven't you ever heard about mind over matter?

Why don't you start believing and having a more

positive attitude.  

Bears glitter gifs

3 hours ago, Mzuri said:

You're such a doubter.  Always doubting things.

Haven't you ever heard about mind over matter?

Why don't you start believing and having a more

positive attitude.  

I've heard of SANTA CLAUSE and the EASTER BUNNY too.

But that doesn't mean I believe in them....LOL

Pillsbury Doughboy GIFs | Tenor

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Mzuri said:

You obviously have not heard about the nomad laptop lifestyle where people are running their online business wherever they happen to be.  Traveling the world, living in RVs, doing whatever.

This is true, in fact I'm one of these people and have been living this lifestyle since 2008. I still teach a college course in New York City and have not set foot in Camaous since March of 2020.  In the program I'm in, here in Oklahoma, Tulsa Remote, one of the requirements for participation was being a remote worker.  There are about 1,000 people in the program today.  There are programs like this all over the country.  The pandemic has only accelerated this lifestyle.

12 hours ago, Pioneer1 said:

Who knows, but the percentage of people who are doing this is probably much higher than you think.  There is also a percentage of people, who would not like this lifestyle and would never do it.

But it is indeed a lifestyle that is continuing to grow.  Imagine having a silicon valley salary but living the Tulsa.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Troy said:

This is true, in fact I'm one of these people and have been living this lifestyle since 2008.

13 hours ago, Pioneer1 said:

I've heard of SANTA CLAUSE and the EASTER BUNNY too.

But that doesn't mean I believe in them....LOL

@Pioneer1

Do you see Pioneer. 

Troy has grown his AALBC empire whilst traveling

all over the place and using his laptop.

You need to start having more faith and 

BELIEVE!!!

Pillsbury Doughboy GIFs | Tenor

BTW, Pillsbury Doughboy is my favorite thing.

You must be psychic ❤️

Troy

Who knows, but the percentage of people who are doing this is probably much higher than you think. 

Probably.
But keep in mind I said MAKING A LIVING on their computers.
Not making  SOME money here and there or using it as a side hustle, but making it their main method of making a living.

I'd say less than 20% of the population is actually making a living from their computers alone.

There is also a percentage of people, who would not like this lifestyle and would never do it.

True.
Most of them CAN'T.

They aren't computer literate enough, nor do they have the disciplined to sit down unsupervised and do WHAT must be done WHEN it must be done.

The average person can't be relied on to return a simple phone call....let alone teach a class at the same time every day for years at a time online.

Mzuri

Do you see Pioneer. 

Troy has grown his AALBC empire whilst traveling
all over the place and using his laptop.

But Troy has an Engineering degree and also TEACHES college level computer related classes.

Are you saying since Troy can do it...any nigga working at Walmart or shoveling biscuits and fries at Popeye's chicken should be able to run down to Best Buy, grab a lap top, and  do the same thing?

Watch Undercover Boss Season 3 Episode 6: Popeyes Louisiana Kitchen - Full  show on CBS

"Bitch I ain't gotta take NO orders
from YOU.  I got multiple streams
of in come...comin' in!"

BTW, Pillsbury Doughboy is my favorite thing.
You must be psychic

Yes...I am!

19 hours ago, Pioneer1 said:

I'd say less than 20% of the population is actually making a living from their computers alone.

let alone teach a class at the same time every day for years at a time online.

Are you saying since Troy can do it...any nigga working at Walmart or shoveling biscuits and fries at Popeye's chicken should be able to run down to Best Buy, grab a lap top, and  do the same thing?

@Pioneer1

Lots of people are working from home or making money online. 

I don't know what the statistics are, but many people that were

working for governments/corporations are working from home

for those same entities, especially during COVID lockdowns.  

And you have probably heard that some corporations are going 

to keep their employees working from home.

Most online courses are pre-recorded videos, webinars, and/or 

downloadable course materials.  If it's repetitive, nobody is going 

over the same topics when they can just make a video and sell

that, perhaps with an upgrade of personal tutor sessions, or

some other type of consultation.

I'm not saying that anybody can start a business online, work

from home, or figure out how to generate passive income or

even active income, but they can try to do something because

that is the future.  

Mzuri

but many people that were
working for governments/corporations are working from home
for those same entities, especially during COVID lockdowns.  

And you have probably heard that some corporations are going 
to keep their employees working from home.

Yeah, like ProfD or Troy said they were heading in that direction anyway and the covid crisis just sped it up.

We didn't have a REAL lock down anyway.
Not like we should have had.

The shopping malls and a few stores closed down for a few months, but by Christmas most of them were all back up running again spreading Covid like wildfire.

The only thing that RELIABLY shut down were the government buildings.
Notice how many of THEM shut down and still haven't opened back up to the public?

They didn't stop operations.
They just shut it down to the public so you couldn't attend the meetings and see what they were up to.  And they started passing all kinds of weird laws while the public were occupied.

I'm not saying that anybody can start a business online, work
from home, or figure out how to generate passive income or
even active income, but they can try to do something because
that is the future.  

If they continue with these covid vax mandates....that's not the ONLY thing I see in the future.

There's a hard core group of people who aren't gonna take those shot for any reason.

44 minutes ago, Pioneer1 said:

They just shut it down to the public so you couldn't attend the meetings and see what they were up to.  And they started passing all kinds of weird laws while the public were occupied.

If they continue with these covid vax mandates....that's not the ONLY thing I see in the future.

@Pioneer1

Whenever I talk to anyone on the phone lately, at a business or a government

agency, I always ask them if they are working from home.  And they always

say, "Yes." 

I also hear crying babies, barking dogs, doorbells ringing and all the other 

noises that emanate from inside people's homes.

I am curious to know what you see in the future.  Do tell.

image.gif.b05fef28d3e6760b4f9376c41adcdba5.gif

Troy

Probably, but it would an interesting stat to know.

I think an accurate figure would be VERY difficult to determine because people have VASTLY different ideas of what "making a living" means.

Some people will swear ANY income they get from online activities constitutes "making a living" for them.

Mzuri

Whenever I talk to anyone on the phone lately, at a business or a government
agency, I always ask them if they are working from home.  And they always
say, "Yes." 

And the sad thing is.....
This type of ghetto unprofessionalism will become the norm, we can see it coming.

At the end, the corporate wins because they no longer have to provide office space or stationary for their employees.
But how much do the employees get out of this deal?

I also hear crying babies, barking dogs, doorbells ringing and all the other 
noises that emanate from inside people's homes.

And that's so unprofessional.

That's even worse than calling up and getting people from India who's English is so poor you can barely understand what they're saying.

And if you ASK them what country they're speaking from they have the nerve to get an attitude and say:

Amateur radio turns vital link when gadgets fail in flood-hit Chennai |  Latest News India - Hindustan Times

"I in Texas.
Why ask that sir?
What country YOU call from?
I from Texas....TEK-SAS

I tolded you already sir."