U.S. Police Have Killed 400 People During Traffic Stops In Last Five Years

************************************************************************************

This really could happen to ANYONE!!!

U.S. cops have killed 400 people who weren't wielding knife or gun during

traffic stops in last five years: Study finds many of these police interactions

occurred in municipalities that rely on ticket revenue

U.S. Police Have Killed 400 People During Traffic Stops In Last Five Years 

************************************************************************************

It is unfortunate that police officers have the added responsibility of debt collector and enforcement.

There's enough technology available that police really don't even have to  engage with motorists for minor infractions.

Once a license plate or registration or drivers license information is obtained, either write up the ticket and hand it over or in the case of a fleeing person, mail it to them.

No interrogation or aggression or chase required. Everyone involved lives to see and have a nice day. 😎

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Pioneer1 said:

I think they've killed more than that.

I just read a story the other day about how OVER half the killings aren't even being reported.

They've definitely killed more folks.

The story above was very specific about unarmed motorists during minor traffic infractions. 

That doesn't account for a whole bunch of people they weren't able to apprehend alive for one reason or another. 😎

• Like 1

Wikipedia has a list of officer involved killings.  

There's a chart where you can click each year and month.

And it seems to be current.

Lists of killings by law enforcement officers in the United States

In a country as populous as the US with 335M+ folks, unfortunately,  some are going to die at the hands of law enforcement. 

I'm not an advocate of defunding the police although I don't see why they have so much military equipment.

But, I do think there are issues that arise and crimes and infractions that do not require typical police involvement. 

Mental health issues and drug addiction need to be dealt with long before it becomes a crime.

A broken tailight should be the equivalent of jaywalking. Not even worth enforcing. 😎

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Apparently 10 officers have died during these interactions.

The presumptions is that all of these killing were unjustified -- surely some were justified.  What is the percentage?

The articles says "often" the stops are financially motivated I wonder how they justify making that assertion.  Do they know how many stops do not result in fines?  Or how many stops warranted a fine. but the violator was let off with a warning?

400 hundred was killed but what is the trend.  If it was 200 in year 1, 150 in year 2, 75 on year 3, 50 in year 4 and 25 in year 5 I was call this good news.  I don't suspect this is the case, but the trend matters.

Read like the article is attempting to depict the US as a bunch of guns crazed lunatics.  The case for this can be easily made without bias 😉

• Like 1