THE OFFICIAL AHMAUD ARBERY TRIAL DISCUSSION THREAD

************************************************************************************

This discussion is about the trial of the white supremacists that 

murdered an innocent Black man while he was out for a jog,

minding his own business.  

Their defense for killing him was that they thought he was a 

burglar, running away from some imaginary crime.

For the record, I hope that this scum are found guilty and

executed in a most painful fashion.

IN TODAY'S NEWS:  

Three white men on trial for murder of Black jogger Ahmaud Arbery

'KNEW' he was not a burglar, jury hears: Judge allows photo of license

plate with Confederate flag to be shown in court

Murderers Knew Ahmaud Arbery Was Not a Burglar

AHMAUD-ARBERY-1.jpg

************************************************************************************

(If we could all please stay on topic and discuss 

only the aspects of this trial and topics that are

closely related, that would be great.)

This is a classic case of being in the wrong place at the wrong time.

Of course, many of us are taught to be aware of surroundings and keeping one's head on a swivel. 

Still, it's easy to relax and/or let the guard down for a second.  Unfortunately, that's all it takes for something bad to happen. 

The father and son definitely deserve the death penaltly.  The 3rd man should receive life in prison for being stupid.

But, this is the state of Georgia.  We're not talking about the alphabet soup community capital part of it (Atlanta) either. 

Nonetheless, folks will be watching this trial closely.  An unfavorable outcome could lead to another national protest.  😎

1 hour ago, ProfD said:

The father and son definitely deserve the death penaltly.  The 3rd man should receive life in prison for being stupid.

All three of them are being charged with murder so the third criminal

should  not get a lesser sentence.  

FROM THE ASSOCIATED PRESS:

The long-standing practice of allowing attorneys to dismiss prospective

jurors without giving a reason has come under intense criticism after a

nearly all-white jury was picked to decide whether three white men are

guilty of murder for shooting and killing Ahmaud Arbery, a Black man

who was jogging though a neighborhood in Georgia.

How the Arbery trial got a nearly all-white jury

IN YESTERDAY'S NEWS FROM THE DAILY MAIL:

Judge in Arbery trial accuses defense of 'intentional discrimination'

after selecting just ONE Black juror for case against three men accused

of murdering the jogger in county where 55% of people are Black

Judge accuses defense of intentional discrimination

They say they believe Arbery was a burglar because their have been a rash of crimes.  I would if there was enough crime in the area even support the suspicion.

In Florida the vast majority of people I encounter in Florida are very nice.  However Florida was the only place I've been when white men behave negatively toward me for not reason.  I'm thinking about two situations in the past 10 years and both men could not be reasoned with and they were both in the wrong.  I just chalked it up to old fashioned racism it is a now win situation.

One guy threatened to get his gun and I told him to "do what you need to do." I turn and kept walking and think to myself this is how Black men get shot -- over nonsense.  

I understand that Arbery entered a home that was under construction.  I've done this dozens of times.  I guess technically it is wrong, fortunately no one has ever shot me over doing it.

Here in Tulsa a man was shot, while riding his motorcycle, by a a motorist. They can only presume it was a road rage incident.

If it were up to me no one would be allowed to leave their home with a hand gun, and doing so would result in immediate imprisonment.  

Ahmaud Arbery's mother blasts investigator into son's murder,

calls testimony about her son 'trapped like a rat' disturbing.

Arbery's Mother Calls Testimony Disturbing

4 hours ago, Troy said:

I understand that Arbery entered a home that was under construction.  I've done this dozens of times.  I guess technically it is wrong, fortunately no one has ever shot me over doing it.

Here in Tulsa a man was shot, while riding his motorcycle, by a a motorist. They can only presume it was a road rage incident.

If it were up to me no one would be allowed to leave their home with a hand gun, and doing so would result in immediate imprisonment.  

I think it's trespassing to enter a construction area without authorization 

but if you're only there to observe and not trying to steal anything, it 

shouldn't be a problem.  With all the surveillance cameras everywhere, 

people should be mindful of where they go and what they do.

I read an article about someone shooting another driver because he 

LOOKED at him.  It is scary to think that you can't even look at people 

anymore.

I used to feel that only law enforcement, diamond couriers and certain

professions should be allowed to carry a concealed weapon, but these

days you need to carry a gun to defend yourself from all the other 

people with a gun. 

It's like the wild west days and it is ridiculous.  

11 hours ago, Mzuri said:

...you need to carry a gun to defend yourself from all the other people with a gun. 

I hear this argument a lot, and I image it comes from folks who have never been robbed by someone else carrying a gun.  I have and know others who have.

When you are ambushed by a gunman he usually takes you by surprise.  Unless you are Quick Draw McGraw, or are walking around with you gun out with your finger on the trigger, you simply won't have have time to pull your piece in self-defense. 

Now after you are robbed you can shoot the guy as he leaves, but are you really gonna risk killing someone else because you been robbed?

The argument that diamond couriers, and others like them, are not exceptions I would tolerate -- if guns were completely illegal. 

There already too many guns out there and they are far to easy to acquire, arming more people is absolutely the wrong thing to do.  I know culturally people feel very differently about this and it is not likely to happen. 

In the meantime will continue to have more innocent children's being killed in schools.  The notion that the solution is to arm teachers is alarming to me.  We already have schools with armed police officers, where we require students to walk through metal detectors. Where does it end -- why not arm the students while we are at it?

Defense attorney for three white men accused of murdering 
Ahmaud Arbery wants Rev. Al Sharpton BANNED from court

for 'intimidating' nearly all-white jury 

'We don't want any more black pastors'

8 hours ago, Troy said:

I hear this argument a lot, and I image it comes from folks who have never been robbed by someone else carrying a gun.  I have and know others who have.

When you are ambushed by a gunman he usually takes you by surprise.  Unless you are Quick Draw McGraw, or are walking around with you gun out with your finger on the trigger, you simply won't have have time to pull your piece in self-defense. 

Now after you are robbed you can shoot the guy as he leaves, but are you really gonna risk killing someone else because you been robbed?

The argument that diamond couriers, and others like them, are not exceptions I would tolerate -- if guns were completely illegal. 

There already too many guns out there and they are far to easy to acquire, arming more people is absolutely the wrong thing to do.  I know culturally people feel very differently about this and it is not likely to happen. 

In the meantime will continue to have more innocent children's being killed in schools.  The notion that the solution is to arm teachers is alarming to me.  We already have schools with armed police officers, where we require students to walk through metal detectors. Where does it end -- why not arm the students while we are at it?

I don't have an answer for all the various gun crime scenarios that 

could happen to a person, all I know is that crime is out of control 

and it's not safe to go outside, be in your own home, at church, at 

school, at the restaurant, at the police station, or anywhere else.

It's hard to predict what a person will do in reaction to a gun.

When I was young, I jumped out of a moving car when a negro 

pulled a gun on me.  I'm not really the type of person you would 

think of to jump out of a car, but that's what I did, rather than 

getting shot.  It's a good thing the dummy slowed down since 

he couldn't do two things at once, drive a car and point a gun, 

I wouldn't have survived that jump if he was driving real fast.

I am in Texas and now we can legally carry concealed weapons

without a permit, so I guess that the majority of people are

carrying a firearm.  

I have seen the news where teachers are keeping guns in their

desks, and small children have been caught bringing a gun to

school.  Not to mention all the school age shooters.  

It's too late to put the genie back in the bottle on guns, there 

are too many of them, the whole situation is mind boggling.

I'm just glad that this madness wasn't going on when I was a

youngster, I couldn't imagine being in school trying to learn

while worrying whether a shooter was going to make my day.  

Guns aren't the problem. It's the mentality of the person carrying it.  

Texas is a great example of a state full of strapped people yet it's not the wild west. 

Minimize the conditions that lead to gun violence and fewer folks will get shot. 

Getting rid of racism and poverty would be a start. Of course those are two very tall orders.😎

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Mzuri said:

...all I know is that crime is out of control and it's not safe to go outside, be in your own home, at church, at school, at the restaurant, at the police station, or anywhere else.

I don't know where you live @Mzuri, but your statement is hyperbolic. Overall we live in a relatively safe control.  Now if you are talking about a place like New York City ghettos 40 years ago, were there were thousands of murders a year and mugging and larceny was objectively out of control I'd say you'd have a point.

Are you actually afraid to go to church or a restaurant with our a gun?

16 hours ago, Mzuri said:

It's too late to put the genie back in the bottle on guns, there are too many of them, the whole situation is mind boggling

It is mind boggling but the situation is not intractable.  Texas politicians are a strange group.  Didn't they just make abortions illegals there?

14 hours ago, ProfD said:

Guns aren't the problem. It's the mentality of the person carrying it.  

What is the difference?

15 hours ago, ProfD said:

Minimize the conditions that lead to gun violence and fewer folks will get shot. 

Really?  With all the Black people killed by white people, like Arbery, what condition needed to be removed to prevent his murder? 

44 minutes ago, Troy said:

What is the difference?

Really?  With all the Black people killed by white people, like Arbery, what condition needed to be removed to prevent his murder? 

Other than accidental discharge, a gun does not fire itself.  The person carrying the gun makes a decision if/when using it. 

Reducing gun violence comes down to fixing the mentality of the person holding the gun whether it's poverty, criminal, mental health, racism, etc.

Eliminating racism will reduce the number of white folks murdering black folks.

If folks are inclined to rob, steal or kill others, they will find an alternative if guns are unavaialbe.  Fix the mentality. 😎

On 11/12/2021 at 12:13 PM, ProfD said:

Other than accidental discharge, a gun does not fire itself.

Actually I would not be so quick to dismissed this serious problem:

"In 2018, accidental gun deaths accounted for 1% (458) of total gun-related deaths (39,740) in the United States. 

Thus far in 2020, there have been unintentional shootings by over 220 children. This has resulted in 92 deaths and 135 injuries..."

That said, so you propose that we fix poverty, criminal, mental health, racism, etc. as a way to curb gun violence?!  Wouldn't it be easier to simply outlaw guns?  In all of recorded history we have never "fixed" poverty, crime, mental health, but we can certainly outlaw guns? You gonna wave a wand and fix racism?

Sure, as you suggest, the wealth of a nation lowers gun violence.  However we also know the availability of guns also increase gun violence.  Wealthy countries like Japan and very strict gun laws and a fraction of our gun violence.  One would think this would be common sense.

Americans, on some level, are crazy.

1 hour ago, Troy said:

That said, so you propose that we fix poverty, criminal, mental health, racism, etc. as a way to curb gun violence?!  Wouldn't it be easier to simply outlaw guns?  In all of recorded history we have never "fixed" poverty, crime, mental health, but we can certainly outlaw guns? You gonna wave a wand and fix racism?

Sure, as you suggest, the wealth of a nation lowers gun violence.  However we also know the availability of guns also increase gun violence.  Wealthy countries like Japan and very strict gun laws and a fraction of our gun violence.  One would think this would be common sense.

American's, on some level, are crazy.

@Troy, you're a smart man so we'll skip the true meaning of the 2nd amendment.

A wand will not fix the issues I raised but they are the primary reasons for gun violence in America.

To outlaw guns would be counter-productive to white supremacy.  Like the boogeyman, they believe that one day they're gonna have to go to war in order protect their way of life.  As a result, stockpiling guns is necessary. 

A certain amount of guns are sent to the streets so that aimless folks will take each other out.

So, you're right...Americans are crazy on multiple levels.  😀😎

21 hours ago, ProfD said:

you're a smart man so we'll skip the true meaning of the 2nd amendment.

Agreed because it is not relevant to my point.  There are many laws, in this country that have been extremely detrimental us -- especially Black folk.

21 hours ago, ProfD said:

A certain amount of guns are sent to the streets so that aimless folks will take each other out.

That is reason enough alone to outlaw guns.

In that past century, Black people have gunned down more Black people than all rogue cops, Klansmen, and run-of-the-mill white people combined.

All of the issues responsible for gun violence should be addressed, getting guns off the street should be at the top of any serious person's list.

On 11/12/2021 at 10:22 AM, Troy said:

I don't know where you live @Mzuri, but your statement is hyperbolic. Overall we live in a relatively safe control.  Now if you are talking about a place like New York City ghettos 40 years ago, were there were thousands of murders a year and mugging and larceny was objectively out of control I'd say you'd have a point.

Are you actually afraid to go to church or a restaurant with our a gun?

I am on the Texas/Mexico border.

Crime is out of control and many crimes are not

even reported for various reasons. 

Whenever I go anywhere, I reconnoiter the exits 

so I will know where to go if a situation arises.  

This has been a habit of mine since those post

office mass shootings that inspired the phrase

“going postal.”

I actually had a co-worker who threatened to

shoot the place up.  This was in a government 

facility, but back then we didn’t call the police 

about threats since they wouldn’t do anything

about it anyway.

You probably think you live in Mayberry.

Jury deliberating in the Wisconsin trial. Judge dropped underage weapons charge. In his instructions to the jury, I kept hearing the Judge mention self-defense. I'll be surprised if that clown gets convicted.

In the Arbery trial, 1st the defense doesn't want black pastors there and then they tried to get a mistrial.  A guilty verdict in this case should be a slam dunk despite the shenanigans. 😎

• Like 1

https://www.forbes.com/sites/nicholasreimann/2021/11/19/prosecutors-reject-plea-deal-for-defendant-in-ahmaud-arbery-murder-trial-attorney-says/?sh=107f7b741e97

It was rumored that one of the defense attorneys asked for a plea deal.  There's nothing to corroborate it. 

I think we'll get a verdict before the Black Friday sales begin. 😎

2 hours ago, ProfD said:

It was rumored that one of the defense attorneys asked for a plea deal.  There's nothing to corroborate it. 

He probably wants a plea deal so that he won't be executed.

I hope his ass fries like KFC in the electric chair or whatever

the Georgia method of getting rid of scum is.

But the truth is, every time that I have tuned into this trial, it 

sounds like they are trying to blame something on Arbery.

The last witness I listened to was a woman that lives on that 

street, she testified about how her across the street neighbor 

called her house to say that she saw someone on her security 

system.

WTF any of that has to do with those murderers chasing and 

shooting Arbery is beyond me.

@Mzuri, capital punishment is not an option in this case. Life imprisonment is the maximum these defendants are facing.

The defense attorneys will do everything they can to make the victim look bad. The witness testimony has actually helped the prosecution. 

I believe those clowns will be found guilty. It remains to be seen how much prison time  they will actually receive. 😎

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ProfD said:

@Mzuri, capital punishment is not an option in this case. Life imprisonment is the maximum these defendants are facing.

No capital punishment?

Well, then I hope their ass gets shanked.

That would work for me.

2 hours ago, Mzuri said:

Defense in Ahmaud Arbery trial insist he was a threat because he was armed 'with his fists even if he had

no weapon'

I find it incredulous the defense would try to use the fists as a weapon trick. That hasn't worked since the early 1900s.😁

I think the defense knows they're going to lose the case. They were  just grasping at straws in closing. 😁😎

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

This b*tch needs to be thrown in prison right along with 

the rest of those cold-blooded murderers, and it's too

bad she's only facing a five-year sentence.

If it had been left up to her, they would have gotten away 

scot-free.

From The Daily Mail:

Former Georgia District Attorney faces five years in prison

for 'protecting Ahmaud Arbery killers and delaying their

arrest by more than TWO MONTHS' after ex-cop defendant

called her and said 'I need some advice right away'

Former District Attorney faces prison for protecting killers and delaying their arrest

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Mzuri said:

This b*tch needs to be thrown in prison right along with the rest of those cold-blooded murderers, and it's too bad she's only facing a five-year sentence.

If it had been left up to her, they would have gotten away scot-free.

Agreed. She needs to go to prison too.

Also, thank goodness for technology and stupidity. Had the murder not been recorded, those killers definitely would have gotten away with it. 😎

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

'They lynched him in broad daylight' 
Ahmaud Arbery's parents ask judge to 
jail his killers for life without parole as

they are sentenced for shooting him 

Parents ask judge to jail killers for life

Anything less than life without parole for those murderers would have been another failure of our criminal justice system. 

Considering they also have a federal case too, it's unlikely they would ever be free again regardless of state sentencing. 😎

• Like 1

Killers are sentenced to life WITHOUT parole, while

neighbor gets life with the possibility of parole

Killers are sentenced to life in prison

• 4 weeks later...

Ahmaud Arbery's parents blast 'unauthorized backroom 
plea deal' that will allow Travis McMichael and Greg 
McMichael to serve time for killing their son in 'preferred'

federal prison instead of state penitentiary. 

Arbery's parents came out against the plea deal, which

they called an 'unauthorized backroom deal' that 'is a

huge accommodation to the men who hunted down

and murdered' their son.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-10458759/Ahmaud-Arberys-parents-slam-McMichaels-plea-deal-federal-prosecutors-hate-crime-trial.html

Mzuri, 

As much as I share your outrage and demands for total revenge, I am just happy the killers have been convicted and will serve life in prison.

But I have to tell you something. Because this was such a high profile racial murder case, be well aware it is the type of court proceeding White Supremacists will remain aggrieved over. So, it is entirely possible that years from now, some Black hating POTUS could commute their sentences to "time served," employing the oft-used excuse: "They've suffered enough." 

I will also believe someone snitched on them, because the local district attorney tried to cover up not only the killer's actions, but their intent. The killers did not think Ahmaud was a burglar. They just didn't like seeing a Black man in their neighborhood.

The claim of burglary was used for their defense.

• 2 weeks later...

FEDERAL CASE SCHEDULED TO BEGIN ON MONDAY:

The federal judge presiding over the hate crimes trial of three

white men who chased and killed Ahmaud Arbery said she will

seat a jury Monday after a week spent asking potential jurors

what they already know about the Black man’s death as well

as their views on racism in America.

Judge in Arbery death federal trial to seat jury Monday

IN RELATED NEWS:

Several potential jurors in the hate crimes trial of three white men

who chased and killed Ahmaud Arbery said in court Tuesday that

they believe problems with racism in America are exaggerated

and questioned whether there should be special charges or

punishments for crimes motivated by race.

In Arbery death case, possible jurors question hate crimes

• 2 weeks later...