Close Call...Saved by the Governor

https://www.npr.org/2021/11/18/1056753071/activists-call-on-oklahoma-governor-to-stop-julius-jones-execution

Apparently it doesn't happen too often in Oklahoma but a man hours away from the needle got a stay of execution from the governor. 

I didn't realize Oklahoma has the highest incarceration rate of AfroAmericans and a strong record when it comes to carrying out executions. 

My 1st thought is how or why a black person would live in, er, commit any crime in the state of Oklahoma knowing the chances of being locked up are guaranteed.

Nonetheless, while the man's life has been spared, he will still spend the rest of it as Jay-Z rapped, locked up, behind bars.

The family can also breathe a sigh of relief for their loved one knowing he's stilll alive and they can keep sending money for cookies and candy bars.😁😎

13 hours ago, ProfD said:

https://www.npr.org/2021/11/18/1056753071/activists-call-on-oklahoma-governor-to-stop-julius-jones-execution

Apparently it doesn't happen too often in Oklahoma but a man hours away from the needle got a stay of execution from the governor. 

I didn't realize Oklahoma has the highest incarceration rate of AfroAmericans and a strong record when it comes to carrying out executions. 

My 1st thought is how or why a black person would live in, er, commit any crime in the state of Oklahoma knowing the chances of being locked up are guaranteed.

Nonetheless, while the man's life has been spared, he will still spend the rest of it as Jay-Z rapped, locked up, behind bars.

The family can also breathe a sigh of relief for their loved one knowing he's stilll alive and they can keep sending money for cookies and candy bars.😁😎

************************************************************************************

I am not familiar with this case, I just read about it a couple

of days ago where Kim K was supposedly trying to save him.

I also read that the condemned gentleman professes his 

innocence.   Maybe that's why he got the reprieve, the 

Governor isn't sure he's really guilty.

If a person is definitely guilty of a heinous crime, I believe 

they should be executed.  But if there is doubt where guilt 

has not been proved, only circumstantial evidence is being

used, or flakey eyewitness testimony, then it's better to 

let the prisoner live. 

Our judicial system is flawed, too many innocent people

have been executed and that is horrible.   

************************************************************************************

17 minutes ago, Mzuri said:

Our judicial system is flawed, too many innocent people have been executed and that is horrible.

Agreed.  The system needs to be fixed before handing down capital punishment and prison sentences in general especially when disproportionately applied to people of color.

Yesterday, they released a 75-year old man who was convicted as a juvenile but sentenced to life in prison.  That man did 57 years in the penalty box.  Hundreds of murderers have been convicted and released in that amount of time. 

It should not take the Innocence Project and celebrities to get wrongful convictions overturned.  The Department of Justice needs to fix the broken system. 😎

• Like 2

I thought it was unnecessarily torturous to wait until just a few hours before granting the stay.  Imagine saying good bye to your family as you mentally prepare to be killed only to be told, at the last minute, that you will be locked up forever...

I have not been following the case closely and know about it because, being in OK, it comes up from time to time.  My understanding is that the guy did not do the murder and did not know it had been committed until after the fact. 

You don't have to pull the trigger to be convicted of murder.  Often the one who actually committed the murder will be released from prison, while someone else who was present during, or involved with, the crime will be locked up much longer. Often this has more to do with the quality of representation rather than guilt.   

53 minutes ago, Mzuri said:

Our judicial system is flawed, too many innocent people have been executed and that is horrible. 

Yeah, and too many of these innocent victims are poor and Black.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Troy said:

I have not been following the case closely and know about it because, being in OK, it comes up from time to time.  My understanding is that the guy did not do the murder and did not know it had been committed until after the fact. 

Often this has more to do with the quality of representation rather than guilt.   

Yeah, and too many of these innocent victims are poor and Black.

About 3 years ago, Viola Davis narrated "The Last Defense" which details the case.  There's definitely room for doubt. 

Either way, as @Troy mentioned, representation makes a huge difference in criminal cases.  Too many folks get imprisoned for being poor and black. 😎

• Like 1