Interesting Reaction to The 1619 Project: Born on the Water Picture Book

Troy

This past Wednesday I sent a sponsored newsletter promoting a children's book, The 1619 Project: Born on the Water, that was born of the 1619 Project, which was conceived by Nikole Hannah-Jones. You can read more the project at The New York Times' website

Below are graphics from the newsletter I emailed.

BornontheWater_AALBC_28503_3p.gif

The reaction to the mailing was very positive.  In fact, I sold more copies of this book in direction response to the newsletter than any other newsletter in recent memory.  People where buying multiple copies clearly purchasing them for gifts.

I did get one negative response however, and it was just one sentence:  

“Why are you supporting the middle of African American history…in the water? Quite absurd, don’t you think?”

Does the critique make sense to you?

I replied asking the person to elaborate on the comment and if they were familiar with the 1619 Project or had seen the book.

I just read the book. While it is a picture books, the text and subject matter are more appropriate, in my opinion, for a middle grade reader.  

The "born of the water" is a reference to the water we crossed to get to America.  I don't think the notion is "absurd," but folks can certainly disagree on whether that was the best metaphor.