Newsletter June 15nd - 6/15/2021

AmistadAds 590x250WhereYouAre

In Where You Are is Not Who You Are, the first Black female CEO of a Fortune 500 company, Ursula M. Burns, looks back at her life and her career at Xerox, sharing unique insights on American business and corporate life, the workers she has always valued, racial and economic justice, how greed is threatening democracy, and the obstacles she’s conquered being Black and a woman. More ▶

Pulitzer-2021
Mitchell-S-Jackson

Mitchell S. Jackson Awarded the 2021 Pulitzer Prize in Feature Writing

Mitchell received the Pulitzer Prize for his article “Twelve Minutes and a Life,” about the 2020 murder of 25-year-old Ahmaud Arbery.

Mitchell’s win means even more to AALBC, because last year he told Oprah Daily, “My favorite, and one of the most important bookstores in the country, is Troy Johnson’s AALBC.com. Troy is a committed literary citizen and it shows in his site, which features, among other things, thousands of books for purchase, info about literary events, and profiles of Black authors.”

Congratulations to Mitchell S. Jackson and all the honorees and finalists!

thedockbookshop
pan -afrcian-connection-200

The Dock Bookshop, Fort Worth, TX

The Dock Bookshop is owned an operated by two awesome women, Donna Craddock & Donya Craddock. They recently celebrated their 13th anniversary of being in business.

The Pan-African Connection Bookstore, Art Gallery and Resource Center, Dallas TX

Founded by Bandele Tyehimba, this family owned and operated store has been in business since 1989. Bandele’s wife, Akwete Tyehimba, kept the dream alive when Bandele passed, at age 58, in 2012.

Both stores are more than just bookstores; they are truly cultural institutions and would be the pride of any community in this country. If you are in the Dallas/Fort Worth area, I encourage you to visit both stores — you will not be disappointed.

audiobookmonth

Libro.fm makes it possible for listeners to buy audiobooks through AALBC. You support AALBC with every audiobook purchase. Checkout the hand-curated audiobook selections in commemoration of Juneteenth.

I plan to send information on books, and special promotions, that will not be included in our email newsletter. I promise not to “blow up” your cell phone, and I will never share your contact information with anyone. You can easily stop the text messages at any time.

Troy-transparent-background

Dear Reader,

Based here in Tulsa Oklahoma, I’ve had an opportunity to experience a number of activities recognizing and commemorating the 100th anniversary of Tulsa Race Massacre. This week the 156th celebration of Juneteenth will be the focus. Some call these events “celebrations,” and the associated musical festivals are indeed celebratory. However, these events are stark reminders of how much we have endured, and overcome, as a people in this country.

The struggle is not over. The ability to share our stories, and uplift others who do, is my small contribution. Each of you reading this is my partner, for your paid newsletter subscriptions, book purchases, suggestions, engagement on the site, social sharing, and advertisements helps support my mission to celebrate Black culture through books.

Peace and Love,
Troy Johnson
Founder & Webmaster, AALBC.com

This Newsletter was Sponsored by Amistad Books
Consider sponsoring our eNewsletter or a dedicated mailing.
★ AALBC.com eNewsletter – June 15, 2021 - Issue #327