The Best New Audiobooks, An Important Illustrator Transitions, Black Book Distributors, and More - 10/26/2021

ebooks

AALBC offers for sale, in partnership with Libro.fm, more than 2,000 audiobooks. Here are 100 of the most recently published Audiobboks on AALBC. Audiobook membership is only $14.99 per month. Choose one free audiobook every month. Cancel, or pause, your month payments at anytime and keep your audiobooks forever. Discover the best new audiobooks ▶

Fool Me Thrice: Money Changes Everything by Dean Conan

“No doubt, I was born a sucker—a sucker for a hot girl with a smile, that is. I have to admit I was abused by every gold-digger I came across. For as long as I can remember, I’ve chased the kitty, and it took me losing all my belongings to realize I had a problem.” So opens Conan’s sexy caustic tale of love, loss, and revenge, and what happens when they intertwine.

In Fool Me Thrice: Money Changes Everything, women are types who fall into categories, all of which revolve around money—mostly trying to get Charlie Mo’s money. Regardless if they are a former best friend, fixer, businesswoman, spiritualist, Christian, stripper, or Daddy’s girl, these types are all calculating, gold-diggers who use sex to achieve their aim. Read the entire review written by Carol Taylor ▶

book-selling-troy-news

Publishers Weekly article by Judith Rosen, Oct 15, 2021

Though it may be hard to measure just how much the reverberations from George Floyd’s murder contributed to the opening of Black bookstores, the number of such stores has more than doubled, from 54 at the nadir in 2014 to 111 today, according to Troy Johnson, founder and webmaster of AALBC.com (the African American Literature Book Club). In addition to operating the oldest Black online bookstore, Johnson opened his first monthlong pop-up in Tulsa, Okla., the Black Wall Street Bookstore, in August to mark the centennial of the 1921 Tulsa Race Massacre. The store was so successful that he continues to supply the Greenwood Welcome Center, where the store was located, with books. Read the entire article ▶

BAIAOctoberMagazine-page-curl-220

BLACK ART IN AMERICA™ (BAIA) is a leading online portal and network focused on African-American Art with visitors from over 100 countries visiting their site each month and about half a million visitors to their social media pages. BAIA amplifies thought-provoking commentary on today’s visual arts news from a variety of perspectives, including breaking news, gallery meet-ups, market trends, and profiling leading (and emerging) Black visual artists in the country.

BAIA also publishes a quarterly newspaper. Purchase a copy of Voices of the Harlem Renaissance from AALBC, or any indie store (email me the receipt), and I’ll send you the latest issue of their newsletter for free.

africaworldpress

These distributors represent the premier, Black-owned, book distributors in the country. AALBC buys books, for resale, from these distributors and endorses them without reservation.

They will have titles, including many AALBC bestselling books, that are simply unavailable from any other distributors. Working behind the scenes, with little fanfare, these businesses are crucial to the “Black Book Ecosystem” and are responsible for ensuring important Black books are available for sale, not just here on AALBC.com, but to bookstores around the world.

If you have not watched this video, please check it out. Not only does the video give viewers tremendous insight into the work of both Marshall and Williams, it also gives the viewer keen insight into the difficulty faced by Black writers, how the challenges were met, and what remains to be done. The video was filmed during the 2021 National Black Writers Conference Biennial Symposium, hosted by the Center for Black Literature at Medgar Evers College, CUNY.

paule-johb-video
Jerry-Pinkney-180

Little, Brown Books for Young Readers announced the passing of Jerry Pinkney; “…one of the most heralded children’s book illustrators of all time. The illustrator of more than one hundred books, he had the rare distinction of being the recipient of five Caldecott Honors and the winner of the 2010 Caldecott Medal for The Lion and the Mouse. He died at age eighty-two after a brief non-Covid-related illness on Wednesday, October 20, 2021.”

Jerry Pinkney (December 22, 1939 – October 20, 2021) has been illustrating children’s books since 1964. In addition to his work on children’s books, he is an extremely successful artist who has had eleven one-man retrospectives at venues ranging from the Museum of the National Center of Afro-American Artists to the Art Institute of Chicago. More ▶

troy-d-johnson-2020-180

Dear Reader,

As always, you are why we’ve been able to make AALBC the premier online platform for books by, or about, people of African descent. Your paid subscription, book purchases, suggestions, engagement on the site, commenting, social sharing, and advertisements helps support AALBC’s mission.

Peace and Love,
Troy Johnson
Founder & Webmaster, AALBC.com

Consider sponsoring our eNewsletter or a dedicated email.
★ AALBC.com eNewsletter – October 26, 2021 - Issue #338