Are police officers going to stop killing us?

Guest LaMont

I don't have an answer to this question. But the frustration that I feel is immense. I've looked to civilian review boards, elected officials, community activists etc. I was referred to a podcast. The lead host is a former police officer. I don't know if the dialogue on their site is helpful but it gave me some insight. 

************************************************************************************

3 hours ago, Guest LaMont said:

I don't have an answer to this question. But the frustration that I feel is immense. I've looked to civilian review boards, elected officials, community activists etc. I was referred to a podcast. The lead host is a former police officer. I don't know if the dialogue on their site is helpful but it gave me some insight. 

As long as the police carry guns and other weapons, 

they are going to kill and injure citizens.  And if they 

don't have weapons, they will stomp, kick, choke, 

and do whatever else to exert their aggression.

They don't just kill Black people either, they will kill 

or beat anyone that poses a threat, agitates them,

talks back, or sometimes does nothing at all.

Look at all the women that have been sexually

abused by police officers and prison guards. 

That is another problem that I have not seen

addressed with any urgency.

But regardless of how awful they are, I am not a 

supporter of the defund the police movement.

That is a bunch of nonsense.

************************************************************************************

• Like 1

On 12/22/2021 at 11:26 AM, ProfD said:

The gun range is a good place to unload several rounds.  Nobody gets killed….

…the last gun range i went to, one of patrons shot and killed soneone else at the range a few months earlier.

I know that kind of thing rarely happens, but Y’all know i think access to guns should be extremely limited. 

0C2473AD-400F-42C7-BCD1-C19CBCEE6BD1.jpeg

• Like 1

We must keep up the pressure and not give up. Whatever it takes to correct the situation. Let's talk about economic inequality in addition to crime prevention. We don't have to wait for the Federal Government or states. In many cities we have the political power to act. We must push so called " leaders " to act and deliver or replace them. There are too many politicians and activists who don't get anything good done especially for the poorest working -class blacks in urban areas. They're good for their cronies, big corporate interests, and developers. But they don't serve the masses.

• Like 2

LaMont & All

I'm addressing this not only to you but to the rest of the posters because as so often is the case, people come on here to rant and rave on ONE post as a guest...then disappear to be heard from no more.
Time out for wasting time and energy on people who don't even bother sticking around to read the responses they get.

I'm not sure when the police killings will "end" because not all of the killings are unjustified.
However the majority of them clearly are.
They'll slow down when AfroAmericans stop being so lazy and start taking more responsibility for protecting our own communities ourselves instead of sitting around on the porch smoking weed day and night and bullshitting while expecting White folks to come in and do it.

If we don't like how Caucasians are keeping "law and order" in the hood.....and I certainly don't....then we need to get off our ass and do it OURSELVES.
Take an example from the Nation of Islam where the men are trained to protect their meetings, temples, and families.

Troy

Man is that YOU with the AR aimed and the 9mm laid to the side with the clip emptied looking like Nino Brown?????

You can get a brutha out of Harlem....but you can't get the Harlem out the brutha...lol

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Pioneer1 said:

They'll slow down when AfroAmericans stop being so lazy and start taking more responsibility for protecting our own communities ourselves....

Facts. As I mentioned in another thread, where I grew up,, the police looked like us. The only time we feared the police is when we were in the wrong. 😎 

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Pioneer1 said:

LaMont & All

I'm addressing this not only to you but to the rest of the posters because as so often is the case, people come on here to rant and rave on ONE post as a guest...then disappear to be heard from no more.
Time out for wasting time and energy on people who don't even bother sticking around to read the responses they get.

I'm not sure when the police killings will "end" because not all of the killings are unjustified.
However the majority of them clearly are.
They'll slow down when AfroAmericans stop being so lazy and start taking more responsibility for protecting our own communities ourselves instead of sitting around on the porch smoking weed day and night and bullshitting while expecting White folks to come in and do it.

If we don't like how Caucasians are keeping "law and order" in the hood.....and I certainly don't....then we need to get off our ass and do it OURSELVES.
Take an example from the Nation of Islam where the men are trained to protect their meetings, temples, and families.

Troy

Man is that YOU with the AR aimed and the 9mm laid to the side with the clip emptied looking like Nino Brown?????

You can get a brutha out of Harlem....but you can't get the Harlem out the brutha...lol

Nobody I have ever met is saying that police are racists for killing armed thugs or drug dealers in a shoot out. But these high profile police killings of blacks don't involve violent criminals threatening officers or anyone else. More importantly policies like stop and frisk along with routine verbal abuse and brutality are a constant problem with blacks and police. We just want police to do their jobs and not be racist. The same thing is true about prosecutors and courts. It's not too much to expect.  

The political right, mass media, and a lot of black people want us to make the false choice between policing and racial justice. They want us take whatever racist cops dish out in the name of public safety, but if we complain about abuse police disengage allowing violent criminals to menace the neighborhood. This is blackmail plain and simple. And when certain black people break the law, they realize the situation. Black people shouldn't be in a Catch 22 situation. I know people don't like me saying this because I'm like a broken record playing a song nobody really liked anyway - SELF HELP AND SELF CRITICISM ARE FINE EVEN NECESSARY BUT THERE IS NO SUBSTITUTE FOR STRUGGLE

• Like 2

ProfD

Facts. As I mentioned in another thread, where I grew up,, the police looked like us. The only time we feared the police is when we were in the wrong.

Same as when and where I grew up.

I grew up in a mostly Black city where most of the police officers, as well as the Chief of police was (and still is) Black.

The cop situation in the neighborhood I grew up in was more like the Smitty-Hoppy characters on Sanford and Son...lol.

Kenneth

You're right in what you said.
Black people shouldn't be forced into a catch-22.

The solution to this dilema is to POLICE OURSELVES so we won't be limited in our choices.

It's like a person who is forced to either pay three times the price for edible food....or get rotten poisonous foods for a cheaper more affordable price.

If they'd grow and process THEIR OWN food for themselves, then they'd be completely delivered from that dilema all together.

Most of our problems as a community come from being too dependant on Caucasians in the first place.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Pioneer1 said:

ProfD

Facts. As I mentioned in another thread, where I grew up,, the police looked like us. The only time we feared the police is when we were in the wrong.

Same as when and where I grew up.

I grew up in a mostly Black city where most of the police officers, as well as the Chief of police was (and still is) Black.

The cop situation in the neighborhood I grew up in was more like the Smitty-Hoppy characters on Sanford and Son...lol.

Kenneth

You're right in what you said.
Black people shouldn't be forced into a catch-22.

The solution to this dilema is to POLICE OURSELVES so we won't be limited in our choices.

It's like a person who is forced to either pay three times the price for edible food....or get rotten poisonous foods for a cheaper more affordable price.

If they'd grow and process THEIR OWN food for themselves, then they'd be completely delivered from that dilema all together.Most of our problems as a community come from being too dependant on Caucasians in the first place.

Thanks so much, 

I see where you're headed with this, and more self-reliance can be a good thing. However. we can't be totally separated from white people and live in the US. It's not possible and most blacks don't want that. We want to preserve our culture, institutions, and neighborhoods. Yet we want opportunities in the mainstream like jobs, business opportunities, and a voice in democratic government. 

I'm interested in what you mean by policing ourselves ? How would it be legal and not subject to corruption. I don't want to replace racism with tyranny in " blackface" either.

• Like 1

Kenneth

You're welcomed

I see where you're headed with this, and more self-reliance can be a good thing. However. we can't be totally separated from white people and live in the US. It's not possible and most blacks don't want that. We want to preserve our culture, institutions, and neighborhoods. Yet we want opportunities in the mainstream like jobs, business opportunities, and a voice in democratic government. 

We don't have to be totally separate from White America anyway.  We can BOTH integrated as well as have our own separate facilities and institutions at the same time.

Look how Asians are well integrated into the medical and educational systems and are trying to make their way to the top of Western financial systems also....but they still have Koreatowns and Chinatowns as well as communicate with their respective nations back home and keep their own language and customs.

Once again even in THIS instance.....
No need to wind up trapped in a Catch-22 either being totally isolated or totally immersed. 
We can be both independent and integrated.

I'm interested in what you mean by policing ourselves ? How would it be legal and not subject to corruption. I don't want to replace racism with tyranny in " blackface" either.

Good question.
One of the good things about the United States is we have the ABILITY....as difficult as it can be sometimes..to make our own laws and tailor fit them to our personal needs and desires as a community. 
Right now as an emergency measure, qualified Black cops who already exist would train other Black people to be officers to enforce already existant laws in mostly Black communities without the racism and blood-thirst that comes with having racist White cops patroling these areas.

But to prevent the corruption you speak of, eventually we'd have to change the laws all together and tailor fit laws for OUR communities that serves us best to prevent crime and tyranny in the first place.

Right now in many Black communities you have BOTH....excessive crime AND a tyrannical police state.
You'd think under a police state where cops are all over the place and there are millions of laws preventing you from walking to one corner to the other without cops jumping out and threating to beat and kill you.....atleast crime would be low.
But under the CURRENT police state...crime is getting hire and hire!!

Figure that shit out.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Pioneer1 said:

Right now in many Black communities you have BOTH....excessive crime AND a tyrannical police state.

The good news is that I do not live in a tyrannical police state. 

The bad news is that n8gglets are killing folks with no regard for human life and committing other crimes. 

Road rage or looking at someone the wrong way should not end up in death. 

Respect for life and accountability across the board is totally necessary.

Black folks need to demand both that n8gglets and police see fellow human beings and not a paper target at the gun range.

Real life isn't a video game. Folks don't jump back up when they get shot, stabbed, choked out or beat up. 😎

• Like 3

5 hours ago, ProfD said:

The bad news is that n8gglets are killing folks with no regard for human life and committing other crimes. 

Road rage or looking at someone the wrong way should not end up in death. 

Respect for life and accountability across the board is totally necessary.

Black folks need to demand both that n8gglets and police see fellow human beings and not a paper target at the gun range.

Real life isn't a video game. Folks don't jump back up when they get shot, stabbed, choked out or beat up. 😎

We must cooperate with police and stop calling it " snitching. " We need to realize that people who kill and rob along with drug kingpins need to be locked up. More importantly some of us deserve to be put to death for murder. That's not racist or class oppression. It's just a fact. This doesn't mean systemic racism or predator capitalism are not problems that we must address. However there has to be a balance between holding both individuals and society accountable. 

When it comes to racist cops especially those who unjustly kill blacks. The more of them who are prosecuted, convicted, and given long prison sentences will make things better. This might be more important than improved training or defunding. Prison time for bad cops sends a clear message of accountability, and no police officer wants to be put in jail.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, KENNETH said:

We must cooperate with police and stop calling it " snitching. "

Prison time for bad cops sends a clear message of accountability...

Correct on both accounts. 

People know who the bad seeds are in society way before they commit terrible crimes and/or murder.

Family members and friends and police officers need to drop dimes on bad apples before they do something tragic. 😎

• Like 2

On 12/27/2021 at 11:12 PM, Troy said:

I see you know your weapons. When in Rome…

I think black folks should definitely spend more time at the gun range.  I have a blast there.😉

A trip to the gun range does two (2) things,  1) teaches folks how to use weapons and 2) exposes them to the power of firearms. 

While folks think it's easy because of TV or whatever, everybody ain't built to point and squeeze or qualified to do so.

Contrary to the murders we read and hear about in black communities, black folks aren't into guns nearly as heavily as white folks.  

We should know the various types of firearms and be proficient in using them.😎

• Like 1

ProfD

The bad news is that n8gglets are killing folks with no regard for human life and committing other crimes. 

Unfortunately, in this country that's often the trade off.

Either you're over policed to the point of oppression.
Or under policed and the place is a jungle.

Demand, backed up with FORCE to force them to respect the lives and property of others.

Like I've said numerous times in the other thread, the solution to this is POLICING OURSELVES.
When we police ourselves....we control the laws and crime and if things to wrong there is no one else to blame but ourselves.

Real life isn't a video game. Folks don't jump back up when they get shot, stabbed, choked out or beat up.

Reminds me of a quote from DMX:

DMX: Rapper in 'grave condition' after drug overdose triggers heart attack,  report says | The Independent

"This ain't a flick...
You won't come back on...
You ain't that strong."

Kenneth

We must cooperate with police and stop calling it " snitching. " We need to realize that people who kill and rob along with drug kingpins need to be locked up. 

I understand what you mean and I would agree in an IDEAL situation where the law enforcement were actually doing their jobs and protecting citizens.
However that's NOT the case in many urban areas of the United States.

First of all, in many places the police are SUPPORTING the drug dealers and protecting them.
They're on the pay roll.
So you call yourself running to the police to tell on the drug traffickers down the street...and the police not only know about it but are acting as their own personal security guards to protect them from rival dealers.

Second, in many if not most places in the United States today....you can't RELY on cops to protect you.
If you "snitch" on the man down the street who shot that kid or who traffics cocaine out of his house there are several things to consider:

1. Will the cops even come and arrest him?
Or will they decide there isn't enough evidence on him to take him in?
Because if they don't....and he finds out YOU are the one who called on him....it's over.

2. Even if he's taken into custody, how soon will he get out on bail?
The sooner he get's out....the sooner YOU will be in danger.

3. Have the police guaranteed YOU 24 hour protection from him or his friends who will want to target you for being a "snitch"?
If not?
If the police aren't even willing to do that much...what good is it?

They tell you not to snitch, but they aren't even protecting those who AREN'T labled snitches...let alone those with targets on their backs.

This is just another reason we need to police ourselves.

12 hours ago, nels said:

The police will stop killing black people when black people stop committing crimes and hating themselves while in the process.

You said the police will stop killing Black people WHEN Black people stop committing crimes.
That statement raises a number of questions:

1. Does that mean ALL crimes are worthy of death?

2. What "crimes" were George Floyd and the young man in Minnesota who was killed by a cop who CLAIMED she thought she was using a taser...what crimes where THEY convicted of for their deaths?

3. And as far as Black people hating themselves, WHO TAUGHT them to hate themselves?

15 hours ago, Pioneer1 said:

You said the police will stop killing Black people WHEN Black people stop committing crimes.
That statement raises a number of questions:

1. Does that mean ALL crimes are worthy of death?

2. What "crimes" were George Floyd and the young man in Minnesota who was killed by a cop who CLAIMED she thought she was using a taser...what crimes where THEY convicted of for their deaths?

3. And as far as Black people hating themselves, WHO TAUGHT them to hate themselves?

Pioneer1, you make absolutely NO sense. Black people who commit crimes ARE criminals, just like everyone else who does. Don't waste your room temperature-level IQ trying to explain away what you don't know. And yes, black people tend to spend a lot of their lives trying to un-black themselves. It is what it is.

Nels (nails???)

I should start calling you NAILS because you're grasping and clawing for attention from me....lol

Pioneer1, you make absolutely NO sense. Black people who commit crimes ARE criminals, just like everyone else who does. Don't waste your room temperature-level IQ trying to explain away what you don't know. And yes, black people tend to spend a lot of their lives trying to un-black themselves. It is what it is.

For someone you claim doesn't make any sense, you sure do understand enough of what I say to challenge and oppose it.

Again, my question is WHO TAUGHT them to hate themselves?

If Black people hate themselves...as you say...then WHO taught them to????