Eric Adams/NYCC signed a law that allows a noncitizen/permanent resident NC/PR who has not been sentenced for a crime in 30 days to vote for elections in NYC,agree?

@daniellegfny just for the record, eric adams signed a bill into law that the city council of nyc set up and agreed to in majority. the city council of nyc has all races in its membership. Are you suggesting Eric Adams should had not signed the city council passed bill into law? Eric Adams himself said that he was against it originally , and there is proof to his statement online. so... He changed his mind, isn't that a sign of self awareness from an individual? 

I have more questions for you, you say the black community works against self interest but this issue has supporters plus detractors in the black community. I don't see this issue as one that has an advantage in either camp. The comments in this post prove many black people are against this plus many blak people are supporters of it. Are you suggesting all black people need to be against this? I don't know anything in this world that gets all support or detraction. 

I first need you to explain how you define being an American. in my experience, people do not have the same idea or viewpoint on what it means to be American in the USA. I am not suggesting your definition will be right or wrong but I need you to clarify how you see being american before I can comprehend on how to approach your assertion to an anti american narrative. 

THis law in one city represents a desire to recreate the USA. I thought laws at their core represented change, not necessarily good or bad , wanted or unwanted, but change. 

In my view of history the constitution exists cause the articles became unsatisfactory.  EXcellent point, many have not sworn allegiance. It says alot that the people you refer to as having an anti american agenda don't feel the desire to swear allegiance. An old saying exist, the king who asks for loyalty hasn't earned it. Maybe the usa needs to be a better job in earning allegiance? 

When was the USA stabilized in your opinion? 

How are you certain what will happen in the future? 

@nelsfair enough but my point is about the dialog between any multitude online, anywhere online. When someone says to another everything you say I dismiss. You are correct to say it is known but it ends the dialog and for me, i see these spaces as places as dialog. None of the people in commenting in this post know each other , at least I don't know any of you, we are not friends, so if someone dismisses my words, that is fine, no problem, but it culminates in the end of dialog, which they can do at any time anyway. I am on here to debate, discuss, not gain friends. Thus no multilog can get hot, as you say. 

1 hour ago, richardmurray said:

just for the record, eric adams signed a bill into law that the city council of nyc set up and agreed to in majority. the city council of nyc has all races in its membership. Are you suggesting Eric Adams should had not signed the city council passed bill into law? Eric

Yes he should have signed. New York City council is full of kooks. Part of the policing problem are the laws the city council passed. They are turning the city into a cesspool.

least I don't know any of you, we are not friends, so if someone dismisses my words, that is fine, no problem, but it culminates in the end of dialog

If you hang around long enough you will become a friend. We might disagree but very few of us dislike each at least I don’t dislike anyone here. 

When was the USA stabilized in your opinion? 

That’s an odd question. Life was much better with Trump than it is now. When I was born Segregation was just ending 1964. I can remember listening to Richard Wrights Black Boy. My views have been informed by the fact as a child my mom gave me Golden Legacy comic books. My father was a Marx Leninist and responsible for getting the first Black Councilman and Mayor in the city of New York. America isn’t supposed to be stabilized it’s supposed to be growing in the right direction. That direction is towards life, liberty, freedom and justice for its citizens. Peace and prosperity.

@richardmurray it’s not in myself interest as a Black man to have my vote diluted by non-citizens. It deeply offends me considering how hard Black people had to fight to get the right to vote. Most people from outside of America don’t understand what makes America so special. It’s the notion that the citizens run the government and not the government being the sovereign of the people. It’s because of the legacy of slavery, Jim Crow and racism it’s difficult for many Black Americans to see that. But the Civil Rights movement was a battle for being recognized as citizens with all the rights and privileges. Desegregation was just an outward sign or symbol of those rights.

@daniellegfnyfair enough,  to your first/second/third points ... I must say I don't concur or support all of what you say, but fair enough

To your 4th point, the usa is an empire, it has been meddling negatively in the affairs of other countries before it had the most potent military among human governments. 

Sequentially, most people outside the usa, I don't see as liking the usa. I have travelled outside the american continent. I find most people want the money the usa has or openly dislike the place. It isn't a liking. My point is, your correct, they don't comprehend the usa, but I want to go further, they don't want to comprehend the usa, because they don't like the usa. The usa for many of these people is the enemy. An enemy they have to live with in the same way, the colonies of england/france/spain/holland in africa or asia had to live with england/france/spain/holland. An enemy that earned the title of enemy. And that concept extends to the black populaces in the american continent < canada to argentina> . You know the history. Most black people know the history. Our forebears, were immigrants, but they were not willing immigrants. Our forebears were dragged to this place by whites. That is the source of the difficulty you wrote of. An difficulty well earned. Many black people have come to positive terms with the usa/brasil, but I think most black people know our forebears were forced here when the usa was colonies of britian, when brazil was a colony of portugal, and were still being forced when the usa was free from britian or brasil was free from portugal. And as you said, for you and many black people like you, the usa's continual journey toward what you call peace or prosperity is embraced with love, caring, community. But, my point is, many black people are opposed to that and the anger or hatred that is well earned to the usa is a real thing, and I can accept black people who do either or. 

While I do not agree with this law, you should know that more than a dozen communities across the U.S. already allow non-citizens to cast ballots in local elections, including 11 towns in Maryland and two in Vermont.

Non-citizens still wouldn’t be able to vote for President or members of Congress in federal elections. And they cannot vote in state elections for Governor, judges and state legislators.

Puerto Ricans in Puerto Rico, who are U.S. citizens by birth, also cannot vote in presidential elections. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, richardmurray said:

You know the history. Most black people know the history. Our forebears, were immigrants, but they were not willing immigrants. Our forebears were dragged to this place by whites.

That’s not the history of all Black Americans. That’s the broad brush pablum that has been feed to people. The story of free will immigrants and free Black have been glossed over. 

Black People have been throughout the Globe prior to the European. Our “history” doesn’t stop at the story of slavery. And then you have the issue of Birthright citizenship. ADOS have a distorted sense of reality. This has been caused by the phenomena of White Supremacy. 

Blacks in America don’t share a common history. No not all their ancestors were brought to these shores in chains. Not all that were had to wait until Juneteenth to be free. Free Black Americans have existed in the Western Hemisphere from Europe since Columbus. 

Because the United States of American is pretty much the British seed on this soil that is were the focus has been. That’s one of the flaws of the 1619 project. It leaves out close at least 200 years of Black history here.

My Grandparents on my Father’s side came through Ellis Island. They came from Trinidad 🇹🇹. My mothers family can be traced back to to Black men bought down to GA to be sharecroppers. My mother still has some of the land that has been passed down matrilineally. 

Just like Europeans migrated to the United States not all came in chains. Many of those who were bought here in chains didn’t stay here. Many more were born here. While the United States has participated foreign adventures it is not an empire. As for being hated, that’s debatable. America is a beacon of hope to millions. Those who dislike it have various reasons, but none of them outweigh the standards of living and freedom people have here.

I am a proud American. And I realize that the country has more good than bad and is getting better every day. It’s my choice to strive to help it get better or hold resentment over phantoms.

7 hours ago, richardmurray said:

yes I know, I told some commentors already that the law only applies to voting in nyc, so it isn't a state level or federal level right in any way. and it demands non sentencing. I tried to explain all of that in the original post but I failed

Politics flows upward not from the top down. When America was a young nation, it was ok to have a lot of foreign nationals participating in the voting process. However you had to be a male property owner. The City Government is where the allocation of resources and jobs comes from. You will find Black Americans getting pushed to the side by non citizens because they have a higher degree of identity, organization and access to foreign resources. Net results those in impoverished communities will suffer from greater instability.

• Like 1