racist Teddy Roosevelt statue removed

Removing statues and other symbols will not change the hearts and minds of people to whom the preservation of white supremacy is most beneficial.

Attention should be paid to the fact that in addition to removing that which can be seen as symbols of white supremacy, they're also whitewashing history books too. 😎

15 hours ago, tipsyturv said:

I'm surprised it took this long...I mean look at it! 

an african and native american at his feet helping him along on a horse?!

Actually I was born in NJ and I work in NY. The statue didn’t offend. It actually captured the essence that Roosevelt just wasn’t a white figure. It’s because out society has advanced so much that people are easy to be offended and not realize how bad conditions were at the time Roosevelt lived. 

The questions could be. “Why was the Black man and Red man included?” “What message was the sculptor trying to portray?”

4 hours ago, ProfD said:

Attention should be paid to the fact that in addition to removing that which can be seen as symbols of white supremacy, they're also whitewashing history books too.

I concur. Which makes people parrot Sidney Poiter was the first Black America to win an Oscar, when it was Hattie McDaniels for her role in Gone With The Wind.

• Thanks 1

19 hours ago, daniellegfny said:

Precisely why confusion reigns in our communities.

Confusion? No. Indifference? Yes.

18 hours ago, daniellegfny said:

AMNH Excerpt: “I don't think any educator in New York City would describe Roosevelt as a racial unifier. In fact, quite the opposite. And the portrayal of the superiority of his figure on horseback [with] half-naked African and Native American [men] carrying his rifles on foot is a very stark illustration not of racial unity but of racial hierarchy.”

IMO, when social-diving authors make these kinds of comments, they tend to bend the mind to conform to their subversion of the sculptor's true intent. If you flip the script, the very muscular Native and African could actually be there to buttress, secure and protect Theodore Roosevelt, who without their flanking, would not stand any chance of survival or success, at a minimum.

9 hours ago, nels said:

IMO, when social-diving authors make these kinds of comments, they tend to bend the mind to conform to their subversion of the sculptor's true intent. If you flip the script, the very muscular Native and African could actually be there to buttress, secure and protect Theodore Roosevelt, who without their flanking, would not stand any chance of survival or success, at a minimum

I agree. It sums of the schizophrenic nature of how race plays in the minds of people especially her in America. I believe it’s touched upon in Post Traumatic Slavery Syndrome that came out in the 80s. 

18 hours ago, daniellegfny said:

I agree. It sums of the schizophrenic nature of how race plays in the minds of people especially her in America. I believe it’s touched upon in Post Traumatic Slavery Syndrome that came out in the 80s. 

Yes, race is rather slimy. You can't quite get a grip on it.