About Mental Illness and the Recent Prison Release Programs ...

This is a recent news story about two women that were murdered. These stories made me reflect on a few recent comments in this community about prisoners being released and having the freedom to go into Black communities. I recall @Pioneer1's viewpoints on this subject. I also recently read a few days ago that the past president Trump's program has led to a recent release of thousands of prisoners. This story that I have just read is about a young lady that was working in a furniture store, and she was murdered. A suspect has been arrested and he is a Black man who was said to have had a long criminal record across many states. Then another young lady was recently murdered when she was pushed into a subway and the man, another Black man, was said to be mentally ill. I am so sorry for the deaths of these women. And, I am also concerned, to say the least, about criminals being released into Black communities as well.

In this clip, it is mentioned too, how the response differs when the victims are in upscale communities versus lower class communities. 

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/crime/man-who-murdered-ucla-grad-student-had-extensive-criminal-history/vi-AASYhS7?ocid=msedgntp

I am not sure if the problem is Criminals Being Released.

I believe the real issue is the shutdown of all the mental hospitals years ago these folks should be in. Now, granted, these institutions were poorly run, replete with horrors of abuse and behaviors we would not wish on people who stole from us.

But I remember the regional debates about closing them and I think I was in favor of this move - under the belief of giving all folks a chance.

However, the mental health crime surge is now a serious and on-going problem and too many innocents are being losing their lives. I feel these institutions need to be reopened. 

• Like 1

On 1/20/2022 at 8:55 PM, Stefan said:

I believe the real issue is the shutdown of all the mental hospitals years ago these folks should be in. Now, granted, these institutions were poorly run, replete with horrors of abuse...

You're 100% correct. The prison industrial complex has also become a mental health institution. 

Mentally ill folks are free to roam certain communities until they commit a crime. Then, they're locked up and released back into the community once time is served. Rinse and repeat. 

I saw this coming down the pike back in the 1990s. 😎

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Eugenics has been thrown around for several hundred years in the pursuit of genetically superior human beings.

America slaveowners practiced a crude form of eugenics in breeding slaves. 

Hitler was on a quest to build the master race only to be defeated during WWII. 

China had a one child policy for 35 years which essentially slowed down population growth by a generation.

India has local laws that impose penalties for having more than two children. 

Between morality and bioethics considerations, eugenicists have resorted to other measures of genetic selection and population control.

That leads me to wonder if a pandemic and everything that follows it could be ancillary to eugenics.😎

On 1/20/2022 at 8:55 PM, Stefan said:

I feel these institutions need to be reopened. 

Yes, @Stefan, this is a great point!

I had forgotten about that subject. I am divided on this issue due to the negative issues that you, in fact, mentioned in how people at times were forced into these institutions and then mistreated. 

On 1/21/2022 at 12:25 AM, ProfD said:

The prison industrial complex has also become a mental health institution. 

Yes. I agree. But why?

Why, I wonder a lot has the prison system linked to so many people with mental illness?

Are people criminalized even though, they are mentally ill, and this issue is being ignored, or is the main problem, that people 

become mentally ill due to the prison system?

15 hours ago, daniellegfny said:

Let me throw this in to the mix. What are your thoughts on how it applies to the topic? 

Good point to consider @daniellegfny. Now, because it seems like this issue of prisoners being released with mental illnesses, it may lead to some politicians looking towards Eugenics as a solution. However, I hope not. 

Oh yes, I just read that there was another incident in which a man was pushed into an oncoming subway! Gratefully, that man was able to climb out before the subway came. 

The suspect is at large. He supposedly ran off after he did the crime. Nevertheless, what kind of person would do such a thing!? It seems like another case of mental illness. 

Actually, daniellefgny, Eugenics has nothing to do with the topic of mental illness.

Seriously, I have to ask you: WTF is wrong with some of you?

Do you REALLY believe the  majority of certain races are worthless, psychotic and just criminally minded?

It is now fully apparent that Black people are not inferior to Whites. I watch few videos and I would never watch anything with Shockley speaking. I prefer reading. Because innate intelligence can be glimpsed and regarded in an individual's own words. And besides, words are what allowed me to make a living in an extremely competitive and biased industry.

The problem is that mentally ill people who are not properly cared for, who do not take their medicine and who are violence prone are the problem. The problem isn't racial. It is access to mental health care and the availability and cost of mental health professionals.

On 1/20/2022 at 5:33 PM, Chevdove said:

I also recently read a few days ago that the past president Trump's program has led to a recent release of thousands of prisoners.

MSN has zero (0) credibility.

On 1/23/2022 at 11:24 AM, ProfD said:

That leads me to wonder if a pandemic and everything that follows it could be ancillary to eugenics.

Perhaps one need only look at Margaret Sanger, who many believe was the architect of abortion to eradicate black people.

"I’m the Head of Planned Parenthood. We’re Done Making Excuses for Our Founder."

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/04/17/opinion/planned-parenthood-margaret-sanger.html

57 minutes ago, nels said:

Perhaps one need only look at Margaret Sanger, who many believe was the architect of abortion to eradicate black people.

Sanger's vision backfired as many whites have taken advantage of the program which has negatively affected their population growth. 

The whole idea of overturning Roe v Wade isn't about saving non-white lives. White folks are trying to stop killing their future. 😎