What have you created with other black people most recently?

I taught myself Portrait Photography and collaborated with many a Black photographer as well as models of all stripes.

I did not limit myself to only Black because beauty as well as art, can be everywhere. 

DSC_3264.jpg

News Writing and Editor was my profession. Teaching my passion.

Photography was a hobby that over a decade and half eventually morphed into a part time business. However, I really preferred charity, volunteering and aiding the homeless.

DSC_5203.thumb.jpg.7cc402f884b7a5cc64e4f3eb9d744461.jpg

• Like 2

One thing is clear, Black people need to create more with other black people, I doubt anyone can speak against that point.

@ProfD any links? do you have a band or you only do solo work? solo work isn't collaborative.

@Stefan I know many artists disagree, but I am certain a photo is a collaborative work between photographer side model.  thank you. At the moment, you are the only one who has presented collaborative work. 

one question @daniellegfny i looked at your webtoon, you don't cite others. You made these works all by yourself?  

you don't cite anyone else but you? 

Intro Part 1 Auntie I Don't Want You To Get Married - 1 | Danielle The Girl From New York: Childhood (webtoons.com)

I went to this page, i see you have an author pseudonym, but I don't see anyone else's name for coverartists or writer so, you did this all yourself? 

6 Magic Cans of Happiness 2: Danielle the Girl From NY (Danielle The Girl From New York Book 3) - Kindle edition by COGGINS, CLARENCE. Children Kindle eBooks @ am*zon.com.

If you did these works yourself, I am happy for you, I wish the works well, but I asked for collaborative work side other black people. 

• Thanks 1

Richard Murray, the images are portraits, not photos. I have taken and shot hundreds and hundreds of photos. As well as at least 20 weddings and countless parties, baby showers and other events. 

But a photographic portrait is quite different. This type of photography entails conception, discussion and finally, cooperation between a shooter and a model. 

• Like 2

On 1/25/2022 at 2:45 PM, richardmurray said:

you did these works yourself, I am happy for you, I wish the works well, but I asked for collaborative work side other black people. 

You didn’t go through the website. It shows the Black People involved. You can look on the Patreon page. https://daniellegfny.com/index.php/2021/10/10/what-judges-had-to-say/ 

@Troy The only person I see listed as having a role in the book you shared is clarence coggins/ 

I will give an example from aalbc

Daddy Speaks Love by Leah Henderson (aalbc.com)

the book was written by leah anderson while illustrated by e.b. lewis, I don't know if both are black , but if black that is an example to what I mean. 

I asked what have you <meaning any> created with other black people. I know most artists create work alone, I know personally. but what work has people created together. 

Ok it think I know what you mean now. 

Here are two books that should meet your requirements.

Raisins in Milk by David Covin everybody involved in producing this book was black; Editor, Artist, book cover designer, typesetter, printer, author, booksellers, distributors.

Covin was clearly very intentional about this and this is rare.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Troy said:

Ok it think I know what you mean now. 

Here are two books that should meet your requirements.

Raisins in Milk by David Covin everybody involved in producing this book was black; Editor, Artist, book cover designer, typesetter, printer, author, booksellers, distributors.

Covin was clearly very intentional about this and this is rare.

@Troy thank you , but it doesn't have to be everybody , at least two people have to be black that are involved, and danielle's books don't seem to be collaborative. I see one person doing everything

On 1/28/2022 at 4:17 PM, richardmurray said:

The only person I see listed as having a role in the book you shared is clarence coggins/ 

I will give an example from aalbc

The thing I think you are over looking is Troy being Black is working with me who is Black. My works are multi cultural production. I give acknowledgements in the book, but with the exception of Kenlyn who did the reading for the Audiobook I don’t put the participants in the metadata. The first two pictures were done by a Black Person in Nigeria for one of my upcoming projects. There name will appear on the cover because they will be doing both the writing and drawing.

Also promotional material had Black people participating in the production, but there two those are behind the scenes participants.

• Like 1

RichardMurray,

Many of us people photographers work with one another. This way we can combine our funds to rent studios, warehouses, lighting equipment and of course, hire qualified models. 

Not everyone can pose. Many have to be taught. So patience and understanding of whom we call "newbies" are paramount.

I have my own lighting equipment and a bevy of light stands, umbrellas and backdrops. I am getting ready to donate most of this to Black photographers so it can used for Education. My hope is young people will become curious about photography, maybe even enamored by it and eschew the streets and gun play.

The pros I am donating my equipment to have pledged to reach out to young People of Color. 

• Like 2

@daniellegfny hmm well said, I am not placing value or enough value on the cooperative activity of black people in production. Well said. @Troy danielle's work counts:) It was not my intention but my intention's scope was too small. 

@Stefan thank you for informing me of your positive work or information on the life of the photographers guild:) ... I wanted to know if the word images is adequate to use for your portraits or the photos that I take leisurely?

• Like 1