Why the Black Book Ecosystem Needs Your Support – January 27, 2022

StarChild AABLC 28654 1p

From the New York Times bestselling author and National Book Award finalist, a biography in verse and prose of science fiction visionary Octavia Butler, author of Parable of the Sower and Kindred. Buy Now ▶

the-dock

Bookstore: The Dock Bookshop, Fort Worth, TX

This is my friendly reminder to support your independent booksellers. People often ask; why I spend so much time, energy, and money supporting other booksellers — my “competition” — when I could use these resources to support my own business?

I do it because there are so many great books, but increasingly fewer curated platforms with the visibility to get these books into the hands of the readers, who are most likely to enjoy and benefit from them. This is particularly true for books written by or about Black people.

There are fewer platforms publishing critical book reviews; covering, participating in, promoting, and hosting events; promoting authors and their books; bestowing awards; than ever before. These are things that AALBC does, and it is only possible because of your book purchases and website engagement.

AALBC can not function in a vacuum. There is an entire ecosystem of Black book professions that I must work with to learn about the books and authors that I share with you. AALBC is better when there is a vibrant “Black Book Ecosystem.” This is why I actively promote and support other booksellers and provide the following information on AALBC:

africaworldpress

Publisher and Distributor: Africa World Press & The Red Sea Press

Useful Resources

Black-Owned Bookstores
Black-Owned Book Websites
Black-Owned Book Distributors
Top Black-Owned Websites
Black-Owned Magazines
Black-Owned Newspapers

Often we default to Amazon when it comes to our books. As a bookseller for almost 25 years — most of that time, unfortunately, as an Amazon affiliate — I understand the destruction Amazon has unleased on the Black Book Ecosystem. From Amazon’s perspective, we are either competition to be eliminated or sharecroppers for their plantation.

Marcus Books, Oakland, CA

Fortunately, there is still an option: Support your indie booksellers!

Amazon is simply not going to do the things that AALBC and other, mission-driven, indie booksellers do. Our goal is to support the culture, not extract as much wealth from it as possible.

You don’t have to tear up your Prime card and boycott Amazon, just keep us in mind when it comes to books. We will all benefit in the long run. 🙂

OK, I’ll get off the soapbox. If anything I wrote resonates let me know: troy@aalbc.com. Even if I’m off base, I’d love to hear from you either way.

Troy-D-Johnson-AALBC-Founder-2020-news

Dear Reader,

Members of the Black Book Ecosystem have committed to help gather 100,000 signatures to request an official response from the White House and President Biden for a posthumous exoneration of the Rt. Honorable Marcus Garvey for his unjust persecution and imprisonment by the U.S. government in 1923. We will be hosting a video conference, on Friday, February 6, 2022, with Garvey’s son, Dr. Julius W. Garvey. More information will be provided soon.

Always remember Troy, you are why we’ve been able to make AALBC the premier online platform for books by, or about, people of African descent. Your paid subscriptions, book purchases, suggestions, engagement on the site, commenting, social sharing, and advertisements help support AALBC’s mission.

Peace and Love,
Troy Johnson
Founder & Webmaster, AALBC.com

This message is sponsored by sponsored by Dutton Books for Young Readers
Consider sponsoring our eNewsletter or a dedicated email.
★ AALBC.com eNewsletter – January 27, 2022 - Issue #348

I read this article in the newsletter and agree with the headline but I have no idea how to get my self-published book to the distributors or bookstores mentioned. Is there a service to assist with this or an article/post detailing how to do so?

Thanks. :)

Hi Taryn, for an existing, independently published book, getting distribution such that you book can be made available for sale in bookstores nationally can be a challenge. Distributors and wholesalers all have requirements that are difficult for an unknown, indie authors with a single book can meet.   

That said, reach out to the distributors on this page (also mention in original artice): https://aalbc.com/content.php?title=A+List+of+Black-Owned+Book+Distributors+and+Wholesalers  Also consider using the bookstore lists to find booksellers that you may have an affinity with (one near your home for example) that might be willing to carry you book.