SCOTUS Justice Black Female Candidates

Well, it looks like they have convinced Justice Stephen Breyer to retire before he pulls a RBG on the bench.😁

The POTUS has already said that his SCOTUS nominee will be a black female. Another historic milestone for our people here in America. 

https://www.cnn.com/2022/01/26/politics/shortlist-breyer-replacement-supreme-court/index.html

The link above shows the leading candidates for the nomination. Of course, I will be thrilled if/when one of our sistas is confirmed to the bench. Let's get it. 😎

• Like 2

************************************************************************************

10 hours ago, ProfD said:

Another historic milestone for our people here in America. 

I don't know what Biden's motives are, whether he is trying

to appease people like Clyburn or whether he just wants the

Black vote, but I would prefer if he would choose from a pool

of best qualified people in the nation, vet them, and appoint

the top person based on their merits. 

And if that person happens to be a Black woman, that would

be fantastic.

It seems to me that he is trying to meet some quota or place a

token Black on the Court, like we're all so bereft we need help

and pity.

I also feel that his announcement causes hate and resentment

towards us from the other ethnic groups such as the American

Indians, Asian-Americans, and others because their people are

just as qualified to serve on the Supreme Court as anybody else.

Now, regardless of whoever is appointed, there's always going

to be a question of whether that person is truly qualified, or if

Blacks will always require handouts because whitey thinks that

we are incapable of attaining a position on the high courts on 

our own, through our own education, skills, and experience.

As I have stated before, I will be glad when we stop denoting

firsts for Blacks, and stop focusing only on race. 

That would be a wonderful progress.

************************************************************************************

@MzuriThis from a person who uses the derogatory term "whitey". So, did you apply the same perfect world criteria to Trump's supreme court appointees? I doubt it because you have no standards where right wing scum bags are concerned. 

Biden is looking to replace a Liberal presence to maintain some semblance of balance on the Supreme court bench, and if that choice happens to be a qualified black woman, of which there are many, then  why are you bristling? You act as though the Supreme Court has never been about politics. And if you're so desirous of  a color blind society, stop being so fixated on what you consider Biden's white racism. Call him what he is.  A product of the environment in which he was raised.

• Haha 1

Justice Sonya Sotomayor is the 3rd woman appointed to the SCOTUS, 1st woman of color, 1st Hispanic, and 1st Latina member.

So, there's an obvious lack of representation when out of nine Justices, there's no black woman.

If other ethnicities feel they should be represented on the SCOTUS, instead of any hate and resentment towards black folks, they need to make their case with the gatekeepers. 

Regardless, there are no shortcuts when it comes to producing qualifications for being appointed to the SCOTUS. One must be highly qualified to be considered.

IMO, the planet we live on will never be colorblind. It doesn't do black folks any good to hope for it especially in America, a country we built.

If it's any consolation, Justice Amy Comey Barrett is the 1st white female with black children on the SCOTUS. 😁😎

10 hours ago, Mzuri said:

appoint the top person based on their merits. 

You can appreciate the criteria for identifying the that "top person" is subjective.  A diverse court is a criteria that should be applied as well.  For FAR to long the "top" candidate has been white men.  Do you believe in the history of the court no Black woman has ever been qualified.

But to your point, we don't want to appoint an unqualified Black woman just to get a Black woman in there, and no one is suggesting that we do that.

1 hour ago, ProfD said:

IMO, the planet we live on will never be colorblind.

Assuming we survive long enough, the world will become colorblind.  It just will not happen in anyone's lifetime who is alive now.

7 hours ago, Cynique said:

This from a person who uses the derogatory term "whitey". So, did you apply the same perfect world criteria to Trump's supreme court appointees? I doubt it because you have no standards where right wing scum bags are concerned. 

Biden is looking to replace a Liberal presence to maintain some semblance of balance on the Supreme court bench, and if that choice happens to be a qualified black woman, of which there are many, then  why are you bristling? You act as though the Supreme Court has never been about politics. And if you're so desirous of  a color blind society, stop being so fixated on what you consider Biden's white racism. Call him what he is.  A product of the environment in which he was raised.

@Cynique

Why do you always make everything about Trump?  

As a Conservative, I agreed with Trump's choices,

but I didn't care for the woman because she seems

weird to me, like a Stepford wife.  

I have not considered that the term "whitey" is 
derogatory, I just use it to refer to white people. 

I have other terms for them like crackers, honkeys, 
and peckerwoods. 

Whitey sounds so much nicer to me.  

As to Biden, that old cracker is a segregationist. 

If he had his way we'd still be at the back of the bus.  

I don't know why he announced that he would pick 
a Black woman, but hopefully it will be someone 
competent, unlike his other prominent Black woman 
choice - Kamala Harris - who has proven to be an 
embarrassing, incompetent do-nothing.

But I'm sure you think she's fantastic, since any 

lackey that Biden chooses is agreeable to you,

including the trannies.

3 hours ago, ProfD said:

So, there's an obvious lack of representation when out of nine Justices, there's no black woman.

@ProfD

Black women are supposedly 10% of the population.

So, honestly, it doesn't matter to me whether there's 
a Black woman on the Supreme Court or not.  

When is the last time there was a high court case

that affected Black women, specifically.

Besides Brown and Loving, there haven't been any.  

Decisions that affect women, affect Black women, and

for this reason, I don't see why a Black woman is needed

on the Court any more than any other type of person.

But that's just what I think about it.  

If you are happy about it, that is fine with me.

2 hours ago, Troy said:

You can appreciate the criteria for identifying the that "top person" is subjective.  A diverse court is a criteria that should be applied as well.  For FAR to long the "top" candidate has been white men.  Do you believe in the history of the court no Black woman has ever been qualified.

But to your point, we don't want to appoint an unqualified Black woman just to get a Black woman in there, and no one is suggesting that we do that.

@Troy

Top person means best qualified and I don't think 

it's subjective at all.  That decision should be based 

on facts, not feelings.

Do I believe in the history of the court no Black woman

has ever been qualified.

It's my understanding that people who served on the

Supreme Court were lawyers and judges.

Since there was a time when Black women weren't in

those career fields, they would not have been qualified

based on that criterion alone.

Do I think that Black women in general could be a judge

without a legal background?

The answer to that would be "yes" since most Black

women that I have known have vast life experience, 

are great thinkers, and practical decision makers, but

those factors are not the prerequisites of a SCOTUS

justice.

Obviously we would expect the Black woman that 

Biden appoints to be qualified, but based on the

dopes he has appointed to various positions so

far, I'm not too optimistic that his SCOTUS pick

will be a good one.  

But we shall see.

Some people have VERY short memories. President Ronald Reagan himself, promised to appoint a woman to the Supreme Court in October 1980. "The time has come," said Reagan. 

Donald Trump also promised to appoint a woman after Justice Ruth Bader Ginsburg passed away. 

No one had seizures.

I wish Biden had kept his mouth shut about his particular choice. And simply said he would look at all qualified candidates. Because his words have penned him in and actually limited his choices. And as anyone who has been part of the news business knows and understands the following: Perception is important.

Now, in defense of President Biden, from everything I have been reading on countless online news pages, some Black Democrats and many other Dems appear to be disappointed with 46. Biden could have announced his pick and choice after the news of Breyer's resignation sank in. 

But he didn't. 

We have to live with it. Unless of course, some angry fools want to lay siege to the White House with torches and pitchforks. 

5 hours ago, ProfD said:

@Mzuri, the black women being considered for SCOTUS are extremely qualified in terms of education and experience. 😎

@ProfD

I'm not sure whether Biden has provided his list, 

only what I've seen in the news and that would 

be speculation, unless his administration has 

confirmed his picks.

Today I saw a news article that says over 70% 

of voters do not approve of Biden's declaration 

of only considering Black women, even Black

people don't like it, so it looks like another

failure on his part.

I am fairly certain that any Black woman nominated to the Supreme Court is going to need Republican support in the U.S. Senate. Well, I sure hope Sen. Lindsey Graham (R-SC) continues on this path:

From CNN: Republican Sen. Lindsey Graham lavishly praised possible Supreme Court nominee South Carolina U.S. District Judge J. Michelle Childs as "qualified by every measure" and "one of the most decent people I've ever met."

"I can't think of a better person for President Biden to consider for the Supreme Court than Michelle Childs. She has wide support in our state, she's considered to be a fair-minded, highly gifted jurist. She's one of the most decent people I've ever met," Graham, who represents South Carolina and sits on the Judiciary Committee, said in an interview on CBS's "Face the Nation" on Sunday.

"She's highly qualified. She's a good character, and we'll see how she does if she's nominated. But I cannot say anything bad about Michelle Childs. She is an awesome person," Graham continued. (Link is included).
The White House confirmed Childs was among the candidates President Joe Biden is considering to fill the Supreme Court vacancy created when Justice Stephen Breyer announced his retirement on Thursday. Childs was initially nominated to serve on the Court of Appeals, but her nomination has been delayed as Biden considers her for the Supreme Court.

Sen. Lindsey Graham praises potential Black woman SCOTUS nominee

Senator Ted Cruz says POTUS promise to put a Black woman on the SCOTUS is “offensive” and an “insult to Black women”. 

Sen. Cruz also claims that since black women only make up 6% of the American population, it tells 94% that they won't even get a shot at the seat. Nevermind the fact that a very small percentage of folks regardless of color are even qualified.

Then, Sen. Cruz  totally ignores the fact that a majority of the 108 Justices have been white dudes.

It's hard to deny that racism exists when the gross protection of white supremacy is always on display. 😎