We Need Your Signature to Get a Pardon for Marcus Garvey – February 1, 2022

newsletter-Banner-Justice4Garvey-Black-Book-sellers

Justice4Garvey campaign partners with members of the Black Book Ecosystem to petition a presidential pardon for Marcus Garvey

Black booksellers, publishers, and distributors throughout the U.S. have partnered with the Justice4Garvey campaign to petition President Joe Biden to grant a posthumous pardon to civil rights leader Marcus Garvey. The goal of the campaign is to gather the required 100,000 signatures necessary to elicit a response from the President. The signatures must be collected within a stipulated 30-day period, from February 1, 2022 to March 2, 2022.

On Sunday, February 6th, 2022 at 6:00 PM (EST), a special virtual town hall for the public is scheduled and will include presentations from Dr. Julius Garvey, son of the Hon. Marcus Garvey, and several other leaders to inform and encourage the community-at-large to sign the global petition. Register to participate here.

Signing the Petition is Easy:
1. Visit https://www.whitehouse.gov/contact/.
2. Under MESSAGE TYPE select “Contact the President.”
3. Enter your contact information.
4. Under WHAT WOULD YOU LIKE TO SAY? type, “Exonerate Marcus Garvey.”
5. Hit the Send button.

Our Official Statement

We, the undersigned Black Booksellers and Publishers belong to a long tradition of providing essential and corrective information to our community. Marcus Garvey, who was wrongly convicted and punished almost one hundred years ago is a foundational part of our tradition. On February 1, 2022, a global Justice 4 Garvey effort begins which calls for the posthumous pardon of Marcus Garvey. We fully support this effort and are committed to using our platforms and our networks to secure the 100,000 signatures required for the petition’s success.

We call on everyone, but especially Black booksellers and publishers to join with us by encouraging people within your network to sign the Justice 4 Garvey petition when it begins circulating on the first day of Black History Month. Additionally, we ask that you create and sponsor activities and events during February to heighten awareness of the sacrifice, and achievements of Marcus Garvey and all those ancestors who stood for our freedom.

Troy Johnson, AALBC.com
Kassahun Checole, Africa World Press
Nati Kamau-Nataki, Afrikan World Books
Nzingha Nommo, Afriware Books & Co.
W. Paul Coates, Black Classic Press
Saleem Hassan, Books by Saleem
Vera Warren Williams, Community Book Center
Verlean Singletary, Da Book Joint
Desmond Reid, Dare Books
David Miller, Dare To Be King Publications
James Fugate and Tom Hamilton, Eso Won Books
Sekou, Frontline Books & Kultural Emporium
Jeannine Cook, Harriett's Bookshop
Jamilah Horton, House Of Pages Bookstore
Tony Browder, IKG Publishing
Wade and Cheryl Hudson, Just Us Books
Hanna Oliver Depp, Loyalty Books
Luther Warner, Lushena Books
Derrick and Ramunda Young, Mahogany Books
Blanche Richardson, Marcus Books
Nia Damali, Medu Bookstore
Delores Williams, People Get Ready Bookstore
Shirikiana Gerima, Sankofa Video Books & Café
Patrick Oliver, Say it Loud! Publications
D. L. Mullen, Semicolon Bookstore & Gallery
Donna and Donya Craddock, The Dock Bookshop
Haki Madhubuti, Third World Press
Uuka Elegba, Umoja Books and Products
Kenneth and Sharon Holley, Zawadi Books

#ExonerateGarvey / #30Days4Garvey

Troy-D-Johnson-AALBC-Founder-2020-news

Dear Reader,

Thanks in advance for signing the petition. I have always been impressed and inspired by Garvey. The Black Stars () you’ll find in my newsletter and throughout AALBC.com are placed in homage to Garvey. It is also in his spirit that I run AALBC.com: “Up! You mighty race, you can accomplish what you will.”

Always remember Troy, you are why we’ve been able to make AALBC the premier online platform for books by, or about, people of African descent. Your paid subscriptions, book purchases, suggestions, engagement on the site, commenting, social sharing, and advertisements help support AALBC’s mission.

Peace and Love,
Troy Johnson
Founder & Webmaster, AALBC.com

This message is sponsored by sponsored by the Black Book Ecosystem
Consider sponsoring our eNewsletter or a dedicated email.
★ AALBC.com eNewsletter – February 1, 2022 - Issue #349

I'll keep you posted on our progress.  If you sign the petition please let me know by replying to this comment.

In the spirit our forums, if you choose not to sign the petition please share why; it will be interesting to read your perspective.

• Like 1

Here are a few quotes from Garvey's First Message to the Negroes of the World from Atlanta Prison  (Look for me in the Whirlwind)

The idiots thought that they could humiliate me personally, but in that they are mistaken.  The minutes of suffering are counted, and when God and Africa comeback and measure out retribution these minutes may multiply by thousands for the sinners.  Our Arab and Riffian friends will be ever vigilant, as the rest of Africa and ourselves shall be.  Be assured that I planted well the seed of Negro or black nationalism which cannot be destroyed even by the foul play that has been meted out to me.

My work is just begun, and when the history of my suffering is complete, then future generations of Negroes will have in their hands the guide by which they shall know the "sins" of the twentieth century.  I, and I know you, too, believe in time, and we shall wait patiently for two hundred years, if need be to face our enemies through our posterity.

If I die in Atlanta my work shall then only begin, but I shall live, in the physical or spiritual to see the day of Africa's glory.  When I am dead wrap the mantle of the Red, Black and Green around me, for in the new life I shall rise with God's grace and blessing to lead the millions up the heights of triumph with the colors that you well know.  Look for me in the whirlwind or the storm, look for me all around you, for, with God's grace, I shall come and bring with me countless millions of black slaves who have died in America and the West Indies and the millions in Africa to aid you in the fight for Liberty, Freedom and Life.

source:

https://www.unia-acl.org

Below is the video of our virtual town hall, which included presentations from Dr. Julius Garvey, son of the Hon. Marcus Garvey, Ta-Nehisi Coates, Greg Carr, Nkechi Taifa, Justin Hansford, and several other leaders to inform and encourage everyone to sign the petition to secure a presidential pardon, to exonerate Marcus Garvey. #ExonerateGarvey #30Days4Garvey Learn more at: https://justice4garvey.org/

• 2 weeks later...