HICKSON IS SO GHETTOHEAT

6.4.09: THE GHETTOHEAT MOVEMENT

Courageously creating my independent publishing company, GHETTOHEAT® on June 4, 2003, my main objective was to solely become an entrepreneur, self-publish my poetry/prose book (proudly titled after the company), and control the marketing, sales and distribution of my works; with hopes of obtaining other talented authors in time. That initial concept quickly changed during the second week of my first book tour in September 2003. 

Being a new writer who was beyond ecstatic to present GHETTOHEAT® to any and all readers, I met this teenaged girl in Philadelphia during my book signing at Borders Express; inside the Gallery Mall. I was immediately drawn to her big, beautiful brown eyes: they narrated a sad, short story of pain, trouble, confusion and despair. An intriguing story I read within seconds. Understanding the young lady’s personal saga and nervous energy, noticing her being reluctant and awkward with meeting me, I quickly struck up a warm, friendly conversation about the process of how I’d penned my poems, before introducing the girl to my work. As she slowly thumbed through the pages of prose, she inquisitively raised an eyebrow while reading a selection, gave me a once over look from head-to-toe; then took a fresh copy off from my table to the register to purchase, before allowing me to autograph a book for her. I sloppily scribed an inspirational message of empowerment to the teenager.

A few days later, I surprisingly received an e-mail from this same young lady, thanking me immensely for saving her life. Instantly, I became quite perplexed…. As I continued to read on, she boldly confessed to me that, minutes before our meeting, terrible thoughts of committing suicide had entered her mind, and that the positive conversation we’d had, diverted the initial plan of total self-destruction. Further into the body of the note, the teenaged girl also revealed that, after reading the many messages within GHETTOHEAT®, she’d no longer felt alone within her personal struggle; she now realized that someone else had shared a similar plight. Revelations of a newly discovered inner-strength emerged, one that she didn’t know existed prior; and caused this young lady to view life, its challenges, and situations that were placed before her, differently. This brave, new soul also assured me that, I too, wouldn’t be alone in my journey. She vowed to follow me continuously on ghettoheat.com, and read the new works to come, admitting that she totally identified with me, the vibe of my company, and the new, positive “movement” that I’d created.  

It wasn’t until after reading that e-mail that I fully understood the power of words—my words…. From that day forth, I’ve felt an urgent need to be responsible when producing my works, as well as to teach people through my messages. I now realize the major impact and influence I may have on readers, when they absorb my words. Looking back, I honestly can say that, I absolutely had no clue as to what movement the big, beautiful, brown-eyed girl had made reference to. That changed one day when I received my first international letter in the mail, from a new reader and supporter from South Africa, full of enthusiasm and asking: “How can I be apart of the GHETTOHEAT® movement?” I then thought to myself, w-o-w…you already are!    

People strongly relate to the thought-provoking works of GHETTOHEAT®, especially within my urban fiction and hardcore street-lit categories (I also publish poetry, contemporary, sci-fi, politics, self-help/relationship books, as well as bilingual works), because of the gritty social commentary thoroughly addressed throughout the books. Many contact me worldwide, showing appreciation of the realness of the works, and how at times, they see themselves within the storylines, totally identifying with scenarios, and often, becoming as one with the characters. Whether the topics touch on education, race relations, teen pregnancy, HIV/AIDS awareness, or other socio-economic factors that ultimately affects family and community, GHETTOHEAT® brings forth these issues. I purposely do so to stimulate intense dialogue regarding these important matters while finding solutions to problems at hand, with great hopes of bringing about social change.

Six years later, seven books produced, and twelve authors now signed to my company, I’ve personally been on a crusade promoting literacy: THE GHETTOHEAT® MOVEMENT. Whether at literary events, through letter writing, or by connecting with individuals worldwide via Internet, I constantly encourage readers to read more; and show the importance of educating, empowering, enlivening, and elevating through entertainment. The beauty of the movement is connecting with all types of people from various backgrounds. Race, sex, color, creed, income status and sexual orientation don’t matter. What really matters is our universal commonality: a profound love for books, a true love for literacy, and our great love for GHETTOHEAT®! 

Occasionally, I think back to the young lady who sent me the enlightening e-mail, thinking how our paths crossed, how literature literally saved our lives, and how her story-telling eyes, actually forced me to restructure my business, and fully realize my sense of purpose in the process. I thank her for that! Today, I thank you for allowing me to share one of the many stories of my journey—THE GHETTOHEAT® MOVEMENT continues…. 

HICKSON: CEO of GHETTOHEAT® & GHETTOHEAT® TV!

GHETTOHEAT® PRODUCTIONS:

GHETTOHEAT® 
CONVICT’S CANDY 
HARDER 
AND GOD CREATED WOMAN 
LONDON REIGN 
SONZ OF DARKNESS 
TANTRUM 
HICKSONBELIKE... 
LOVE DON’T LOVE NOBODY 
THICKNESS 
GHOST TOWN HUSTLERS