White Students Celebrate Black History Month: Ghetto Style!

UCSD Frat Denies Involvement In 'Ghetto-Themed' Party

UCSD Officials Condemn 'Compton Cookout' Held Last Weekend

POSTED: 4:15 am PST February 17, 2010

SAN DIEGO -- Administrators at the University of California, San Diego are condemning a weekend ghetto-themed party thrown off-campus by fraternity students to mock Black History Month, but they aren't likely to discipline anyone, it was reported Wednesday.

The so-called "Compton Cookout" event urged all participants to wear chains, don cheap clothes and speak very loudly, The San Diego Union-Tribune reported. Female participants were encouraged to be "ghetto chicks."

"It's insulting, it's derogatory, we're being made fun of, we're being made a mockery of and we're not being taken seriously," said UCSD student Elize Diop, who is black.

The invitation read, "For those of you who are unfamiliar with ghetto chicks -- Ghetto chicks usually have gold teeth, start fights and drama, and wear cheap clothes ...," the Union-Tribune reported. Click Here To Read The Full Invitation

UCSD student Chevelle Newell told 10News, "The part where it talks about black women … that's not what I am."

Jeff Gattas, the UCSD executive director of communications and public affairs, told the Union-Tribune that because the event wasn't sanctioned by the university or run by a student organization, university officials don't have a reason to penalize party hosts.

Campus chancellor Marye Anne Fox learned about the party Tuesday and reacted by e-mailing a statement to the university's student body and staff, according to the newspaper, which reported less than 2 percent of UCSD's undergraduates are black.

"We were distressed to learn that over the weekend an offensively themed student party, mocking the commemoration of Black History Month, took place off campus," her statement read. "We strongly condemn this event and the blatant disregard of our campus values." Click Here To Read Chancellor Fox's Full Statement

The university publicly identified the party planners only as a group of students but in an e-mail obtained by the Union-Tribune from Gary Ratcliff, assistant vice chancellor for student life, the event was linked to Pi Kappa Alpha.

"It was not an official Pike event, but the students who posted it on Facebook were members of Pike and other frats," he wrote, the newspaper reported.

Garron Engstrom, president of Pi Kappa Alpha, issued a statement Wednesday which denied the fraternity was associated with the party.

UCSD student Arthur Vigil said, "It's very insensitive. I don't think they're representing the school well."

Read The Invitation To The "Compton Cook Out," As Posted On Facebook:

"February marks a very important month in American society. No, i'm not referring to Valentines day or Presidents day. I'm talking about Black History month. As a time to celebrate and in hopes of showing respect, the Regents community cordially invites you to its very first Compton Cookout.

For guys: I expect all males to be rockin Jersey's, stuntin' up in ya White T (XXXL smallest size acceptable), anything FUBU, Ecko, Rockawear, High/low top Jordans or Dunks, Chains, Jorts, stunner shades, 59 50 hats, Tats, etc.

For girls: For those of you who are unfamiliar with ghetto chicks-Ghetto chicks usually have gold teeth, start fights and drama, and wear cheap clothes - they consider Baby Phat to be high class and expensive couture. They also have short, nappy hair, and usually wear cheap weave, usually in bad colors, such as purple or bright red. They look and act similar to Shenaynay, and speak very loudly, while rolling their neck, and waving their finger in your face. Ghetto chicks have a very limited vocabulary, and attempt to make up for it, by forming new words, such as "constipulated", or simply cursing persistently, or using other types of vulgarities, and making noises, such as "hmmg!", or smacking their lips, and making other angry noises,grunts, and faces. The objective is for all you lovely ladies to look, act, and essentially take on these "respectable" qualities throughout the day.

Several of the regents condos will be teaming up to house this monstrosity, so travel house to house and experience the various elements of life in the ghetto.

We will be serving 40's, Kegs of Natty, dat Purple Drank- which consists of sugar, water, and the color purple , chicken, coolade, and of course Watermelon. So come one and come all, make ya self before we break ya self, keep strapped, get yo shine on, and join us for a day party to be remembered- or not. "

Ref: White Ghetto Party

Xeon, why is this news? Seriously why do you even care about this. I'm not saying you should not have posted this, but I'm interested in understanding why you even care what some children are doing off campus no less.

I would have been up in there playing dominoes and knocking out a 40 myself, a little NWA, Snoop Dogg playing in the background -- sounds like fun (sans the drive bys, and harrassment by the LAPD)!

Are we to infer from this that you reserve the right to be the only one who can talk about "black coonery", Xeon?

Not really. Coonery is what it is (unfortunately). But if you read the entire story (ref the link), you can see there were some racist elements there. What should be done about it? Not much you can do. It happened off campus and the students are free to express themselves in anyway they want. I was just surprised that this happened at UCSD. As you may recall, the same kind of whites in "black face" "In Da Hood Ghetto Party" happened at Clemson University a few years ago. I suspect it has happened more than this across the nation. I was on the campus of UCSD Thursday and it is a somewhat diverse campus (almost half is Asian). As I said before, I was just shocked to see it happen there.

One more thing, the mayor, council man or representative (can't recall which) from Compton was railing away of how it was racist, the university should conduct a full scale investigation, the fraternity associated with this party should have their charter revoked and the students involved should have their names revealed to the public and expelled from school. Needless to say, this is not going to happen nor do I think it should.

Just havin a little fun with ya, babe.

I love it! Please continue......

Xeon, why is this news?

Because it is. It’s all over the West Coast. Sorry if it offends you but it did happen….

Seriously why do you even care about this. I'm not saying you should not have posted this, but I'm interested in understanding why you even care what some children are doing off campus no less.

Well, why are you interested in any news….period? But to answer your question, when white college students take it upon themselves to cynically personalize tributes to Black History month and MLK Day with “ghetto parties”, there is a good chance it will make the news. This type of obnoxious behavior has not only happened at UCSD and Clemson University. It happens more often than reported. For example, there was a serious controversy concerning a black ghetto fabulous party given by white first-year law students at the University of Texas at Austin a few years ago in celebration of Martin Luther King Day. But it didn’t end there. Turns out students at the University of Connecticut School of Law also opted for do-rags, gang signs, gold teeth, 40 once malt liquor bottles, black face, white girls wearing braided weaves and sticking pillows in their back sides, carrying fake made up welfare checks and a fake hand guns in their waist bands during an off-campus party.

These are the same white students who may one day work in the HR dept, become prosecutors, judges, hold positions of authority and power, making decisions that impact the lives of people. So, there is a concern that the mind set that generated those inexcusable racist parties may bleed into their professional lives one day. Now, is there anything that can be done? Well, nothing I know of other than shaking of the head and letting them know how stupid and racist they are (as if that will change them). The public should know about such things. And yes, contrary to your disapproval and annoyance, it is news out here on the West Coast.

I would have been up in there playing dominoes and knocking out a 40 myself, a little NWA, Snoop Dogg playing in the background -- sounds like fun (sans the drive bys, and harrassment by the LAPD)!

Oh, I’m sure you would. In fact, I’m going back to the UCSD campus this week. I can leave a message in the student affairs center (just provide your e-mail, MySpace or space book info) that you are interested in providing ghetto culture technical advice for their next “in da hood party”. If they are going to go that route, why not get it right by someone who is willing to provide instruction and technical details on how to keep the coonery real. I’m sure they would be amused by your offer……

374632633_2916606898.jpg

Xeon, none of this offends me. But this type of "reporting" on the private behavior of some kids in my mind is hardly newsworthy. It is meant to get folks riled up for the goal of selling newspapers. That is all. This party is inconsequential.

That photo is priceless! It really is amazing how far some white folks will go to have a good time. That kid who painted his body black -- that is just too much! Judging by the look on that girl he is grinding on I'm sure he scored that night! Looks like she thinks she is dancing with a real brother ohmy.gif.

These are the same white students who may one day work in the HR dept, become prosecutors, judges, hold positions of authority and power, making decisions that impact the lives of people. So, there is a concern that the mind set that generated those inexcusable racist parties may bleed into their professional lives one day.

I suspect these types of kids will be more likely end up painting their bellies, the colors of their home team, and attending over priced football games, rather than sitting on some judical bench or being a captian of industry.

Admittedly, this might sound hypocritical. I but if that was MY daughter in the photo I would be lets just say more than concerned

I suspect these types of kids will be more likely end up painting their bellies, the colors of their home team, and attending over priced football games, rather than sitting on some judical bench or being a captian of industry.

Troy, if you believe that, then you are extremely naive..........