What type of leaders do we need?

@Delano, great question my brotha. 

Athletes, entertainers and gangsters  have become defacto role models for many AfroAmericans.  Yet, very few of them use their platforms in a constructive manner.

We need to pay more attention to ordinary people doing extraordinary things in business,  education, politics and making a difference in their communities.

We need to stop wasting bandwidth on celebrities and other n8gglets doing dysfunctional sh8t. 😎

• Thanks 1

@Delano I will restate your question, 

do the needs of leadership change based on the quantity of humans in a group? A common philosophical questions. many answers, none are right or wrong. Speaking specifically to the USA, a country with a multiracial while racially imbalanced populace , the legal argument is clear. The USA legal culture, national culture, states the answer is no. The Declaration of independence of the USA through its content suggest the essence of leadership in humanity has no difference based on quantity of group/time/place. So in the usa, historically from a legal view, the answer to your question is no difference exist in leadership based on quantity of people. Now the declaration also states that leadership must take into consideration the people being led. So to wrap it up, in the legal context of the USA, the type of leader needed does not matter, whether global or to the neighborhood, but the leader must take into consideration the want of the community and whether it is feasible to be in any union with another. So based on the advertised standard in the USA, the type of leader the black community needs in the usa, from sea to shining sea or in your local neighborhood, is the same. But the leader must get results to fit the black communities want. And the question to you then is, what does the black community want, from sea to shinging sea or your local neighborhood?

My specific thoughts

https://aalbc.com/tc/profile/6477-richardmurray/?status=1834&type=status

There is no shortage of smart, successful and hardworking Black men and women in various areas of human activity who could be leaders.

If those individuals are willing to be beacons of light, inspiration and motivation to the masses, they should be given a platform to shine.

Young black people especially need to see positive black role models everywhere they turn starting with their parents and extended family, in their communities, on TV and beyond.

Technologically, Black folks have the tools to broadcast positive leadership. Again, we need to stop wasting so much bandwidth on negative images, materialism and consumerism.😎

• Like 1

On 2/20/2022 at 6:49 AM, ProfD said:

We need to stop wasting bandwidth on celebrities and other n8gglets doing dysfunctional sh8t.

Agreed, but until doing so is no longer profitable it will never happen in our current system.

@Delano it is not so much the leader that matters it is the followers.  If the masses are uninformed or worse brain washed they can be easily manipulated by anyone with charm and a way with words. 

Charisma and the gift of gab are the requisite tools to lead people.  This is not will likely change this -- it is in our DNA.  If you add either narcissism or celebrity to the mix it is a wrap!  Trump has all four as does Oprah.  I don't think anyone would argue that Oprah has a least a touch of narcissism, given she is on the cover of every issue of her magazine and always manages to make interviews she does with folks as much about her as the person she is interviewing. 

People in the community doing the work are usually not narcissists or celebrities, so they work in obscurity.  Now they can certainly have an impact, but no one is going to give them a platform without getting something in return ... consider an Al Sharpton or Candice Owens.

There appear to be bright spots.  I think celebrities like Lebron James will break the mold, and become impactful leaders beholden to no one.   

Perhaps that is the thing about leaders they appear and strike a chord precisely because people aren't ready yet in a sense they are receptive.

Miles Davis was an amazing musical leader, and his influence extends beyond Jazz in particular and music in general. Other people who have that: Audre Lorde; James Baldwin; Harry Belafonte; Angela Davis. And Gadhi Malcom and Martin. I think Jimmy Carter leads by example but he doesn't have charisma for the masses.

• Like 2

@Delano one other factor not mentioned enough in our commentary or in general with these sort of topics is the desire of the people.

I use an example hitler. many people, maybe even most, say hitler swayed the german people, mind controlled them, talked them into some situation. 

Those people are liars. Hitler didn't trick anyone. he realized what the majority of german people, or shall i say, the german christian people,  really wanted. The german christian people represent a majority of germany's populace, they were tired of german jews, german turks, german romani, in their country. Did most kill? of course not. most people never kill because killing is harder than movies make it. But most german christian people were willing to cheer those willing to kill.  The german christian community wanted to dominate the rest of europe and keep europe a center of the world. And was education an issue? no. Actually at that time, german was required learning in many fields of study. Sometimes what a people want isn't positive. It doesn't mean they are uneducated. It doesn't mean it is right or wrong. but it is what they want. Some leaders like to not give the people what they want if it has a negative tinge. And that restrictions limits ones leadership possibilities. The people anyone lead do not always want to be nonviolent, do not always want peace.  ala most of the well known or financially/governmentally supported by whites in some way black leaders post war between the states in the usa.  frederick douglass/sojourner truth/booker t washington/web dubois/da b wells/thurgood marshall/fannie lou hamer/MLK jr/Jesse Jackson/shirley chisholm/al sharpton/oprah winfrey/barrack obama. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, richardmurray said:

Some leaders like to not give the people what they want if it has a negative tinge. And that restrictions limits ones leadership possibilities.

Ding, Ding, Ding!  Powerful observation! 

We have so many leaders today - and all start out by responding to the will of the people.  

Celebrities rarely become leaders - leaders sometime become celebrities.  

For example, Beyonce became a leader not because she could sing but because her journey mirrored the millennial woman’s journey. The songs she chose amplified what some women (all ethnicities and ages) were experiencing but had a hard time articulating. 

She sang their trials and provided solutions. 

“Put a ring on it”  Beyonce  led many young women to consider marriage while promoting the nuclear family. 

Troy Johnson became a leader not because he reads books - but because he decided books by and for black people needed a platform to get the recognition they deserved.  Lawd knows publishing companies weren’t doing it.  Today, Troy leads many people to consider black books first! 

True leaders are rarely in front of a group.  Leaders center themselves in a group that has problems no one is addressing.  Leaders organize a group that already exist and provides them direction.  

Bravo @richardmurray You nailed it!

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Delano said:

Jimmy Carter leads by example but he doesn't have charisma for the masses.

Former President JC did get elected to lead. But I agree he is a rare air man and the problems he’s willing to solve - are too difficult to assemble a large following. 

I’m still tripping over his willingness to go into a nuclear reactor.  

Carter also tackled affordable housing - and joined habitat for humanity in the 80s  to put together a annual home building program that offers different levels of involvement.  That’s strong leadership there to get folks from around the world to build homes for people they don’t know.  

Good food for thought here  @Delano

• Like 2

Jimmy was often dismissed as a mediocre president, but he was a good man.

4 hours ago, Mel Hopkins said:

Troy Johnson became a leader not because he reads books - but because he decided books by and for black people needed a platform

Did you ever hear me say this?  If not, it is a keen observation.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

12 hours ago, Delano said:

Your passion and commitment is inspiring,

thanks Del. I have to combine that passion and commitment with working smarter. Which means utilizing technology and the talents of other people. That has been my biggest realization while here in Tulsa. That happened because i was working in co/working space for a year rather than my home office 🙂

• Like 1

Jimmy Carter is a decent man. He evolved and began accepting everyone as an equal. I've always admired him. 

Carter's biggest mistake after getting the hated Shah of Iran to leave Tehran was to allow this cruel ruler to enter the U.S. for cancer treatment. I don't think anyone had any idea of the extent of the Shah's crimes against the Iranian people.

But everyone soon found out. 

The reason why celebrities are viewed as role models is because the news media pays so much attention to them. 

At this juncture in black history, i find the questions "what types of leaders do back people need?" a rhetorical one, not rising to the level of seriousness, Sorry, Del.   America is the origin of the  "rugged individualism" ideal, as I'm sure you know. Which begs the question, who leads the white masses? The Asian ones? The Hispanic ones???  Why do black people need leaders?? Why must they be on an eternal quest for a captivating man on a white horse to lead them?. Why, among blacks, is there always a yearning for a savior? if Jesus can't get the job done, then who can?   When are America's step children going to grow up and become independent? When are they going to realize that when  they do unite. it becomes a matter of misery loving company and never reaps permanent results, done in by the egos of mortal men and the seductive corruption of power.  

Prominent figures are, of course, worthy of being respected and appreciated but I find myself raising an eyebrow at the idea of Miles Davis, in particular, being a black leader. This ill-tempered, wife-beating,  heroin addict may have been a great trumpet player who took jazz to another level but that wasn't enough to land it in the mass popularity zone. Yes, he played by his own rules and defied white convention but he died of sickle cell anemia, being nursed by a rich white female patron. A dubious role model.   

Barack Obama achieved the epitome of leadership but never commanded the unanimous approval of black folks because they are multi-faceted and are not of one mind, black men being among his harshist critics, accused by some of being driven by jealousy.  Many older blacks remain mired in the slavery mentality that keeps them congregated in churches, praying for a Moses to lead them to the promised land.  But upcoming generations  pay homage to the almighty dollar that  this Capitalistic society promises to those who learn how to "play the game".  

The black diaspora grows more diversified by the year, and the idea that individuals can command the loyalty of this multitude of non whites is wishful thinking.  The answer to the perennial question about "what black folks need to do" is: Aspire to live your best life and, along the way, each one teach one.  But always keep in mind that - the Universe doesn't give  a damn about you. 😜

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, Cynique said:

not rising to the level of seriousness, Sorry, Del.   America is the origin of the  "rugged individualism" ideal, as I'm sure you know. Which begs the question, who leads the white masses?

There are different types of boats, some races have a speed boat, a ferry, a sail boat. American Blacks have a rudderless  raft.

When are America's step children going to grow up

You are asking the better question. Have American Blacks done better even if it is only a perception when they had a leader. I think the answer to that is yes. I think every endeavor needs a leader or at least a mentor. My two favourites are Malcolm X and Gandhi.

done in by the egos of mortal men and the seductive corruption of power.  

I saw this after I wrote my two favorites. Which is cool since it feels like I am having a conversation with you, at least in my mind (which is the only place the World actually exists)

I find myself raising an eyebrow at the idea of Miles Davis, in particular, being a black leader.

Prince and Miles Davis are my two favourite musical personalities. So bright you can't ignore their genius, alas I can not ignore their faults in the they way they related to both women and their bands. horrible person brilliant musicians. 

However that is often the trade off. With Malcolm X and Gandhi again possibly being the exception.

Many older blacks remain mired in the slavery mentality

How could descendants of slaves not have a slave mentality. Furhter to this point there are only different types of  slaves. Unless your mind, bod or spirit are free how can you be free? It is a Herculean task to become free from the vise grip of cultural and or society. Which is why I like genii in whatever field they pop up.

12 hours ago, Cynique said:

But upcoming generations  pay homage to the almighty dollar

Another type of bondage. We are a planet imprisoned in our desires. The Buddhist may be the closest to the truth, honorable mention to the Vedas. Which also has some amazing nuggets like focusing on the all will lead to nirvana

The answer to the perennial question about "what black folks need to do" is: Aspire to live your best life and, along the way, each one teach one.

I agree, leadership by example, without the cult of personality. Sivananda was one such guru. He had a simple rule spend every donation on the day received. He was revered built a publishing house , an ashram and donated to the medical care all without any scandals (I just came across him yesterday (as part of my deeper dive into Yoga and it's 8 branches ( btw Yoga is a philosophical system that encompasses philosophy and morality)).

But always keep in mind that - the Universe doesn't give  a damn about you. 😜

One of the rare occasions where I whole heartedly disagree with you. I consider you to be a gift from the Universe. And based on the reaction of others I am not alone in this affection

affect verb to have an effect on, to touch the feelings of

• Like 1

@DelI expected people to disagree with me, but I wasn't expecting a detailed response from you, replies wherein you opened up about  things more than you usually do, and I appreciate you sharing your opinions with me.  Yes, it was like having a conversation with you. And it was especially gratifying because I wasn't motivated to engage in my favorite pass time of name-calling. 😉  You're a cool dude.

BTW, yesterday 2/22/22 i spent a long time meditating and I do kinda believe that the Universe is in us as much as we are in it.  Do you have any explanation as to why I feel so much younger in the cold winter than i do in the hot summer?  The frigid weather energizes  and rejuvenates me! ????  

• Like 1

I wasn't planning on writing one, it just happened. I wasn't certain if it would feel conversational to you, glad it did.

I have been doing a deeper dive into the esoteric, and it is changing me deeply. My partner says that I don't talk much. Which is true but I feel as though I talk too much. Both statements are true. Well "cool dude" is name calling but I like it coming from you.

21 minutes ago, Cynique said:

I do kinda believe that the Universe is in us as much as we are in it. 

That is the essence of spirituality and is a fundamental tenet of Magic. I meditate and reflect every day sometimes twice a day. What ever you focus on or contemplate is in fact your God. So it is easy to see what people worship. See where they spend their time and attention (tangent)re truly absorbed

There is a practice from both Ancient China and India, I also believed some of the Native Americans may also practice it. If you focus on the Creator, or any non corporeal aspect of said you can merge with it. So instead of there being opposition their is a unity. Some call this cosmic consciousness, nirvana flow. et cetera. In this state of timelessness the physical world dissolves and you are well and truly absorbed...

I have a few goals, to understand Astrology and its connection to the Vedas (Indian Holy Books that cover philosophy, healing practices, astrology, philosophy, rules for living et cetera. To stop thinking and cease talking.

• Like 2