Did the Bible Sanction Slavery?

I find it interesting yet somewhat annoying that there are many people including clergy who stumble over this question or subscribe to the false notion that God sanctioned slavery. When God  released the children of Israel from Egyptian captivity they were a free nation, with their own laws and customs.  After being held in bondage ,It is ridiculous to think that the almighty would ordain laws  allowing the Hebrews to oppress other nations as they were. What Moses regulated to his people was a system of servitude based on justice not chattel slavery. Chattel slavery as applied in the Transatlantic Slave trade granted the rights of property ownership in human beings. The Mosaic code  in the old testament lays out  a a detailed explanation of the rights of a servant  containing agreements and provisions. Not one element of slavery is in Mosaic law. Yet unscrupulous clergy in the past and even today corrupt the holy scripture to justify the exploitation of the Black race. 

The Almighty did not question Slavery. And throughout the Bible, Slavery was an accepted practice.

Right up into the days of Jesus and his Apostles.

There is no getting around it. 

Slavery is still practiced now in certain countries and by different armed groups, such as ISIS, Boko Harem and drug cartels and of course, China.

There are about 140,000 people living in modern Slavery in the United Kingdom and about 400,000 are exploited in the U.S., according to the Global Slavery Index. 

Global Slavery Index

Did you click on the Global Slavery Index link? And what makes you think human beings are any better than other life forms?

In the Bible, Slavery was nothing close to Chattel Slavery practiced in the Western Hemisphere. But it was still Slavery. 

The thread question is: "Did the Bible Sanction Slavery?" And because there were so many laws regulating it, the answer is obviously yes.

While this was due mostly due to Israelites becoming indebted to their brethren, the facts are that foreigners or war captives could also be designated as Slaves.

Which is what is exactly what happened in parts of Africa.

With all the movies, books and first hand historical accounts on the Holocaust, The Killing Fields, Bosnia and Rwanda, here we are in early 2022 and human beings have gleefully danced right back to the edge of a genocidal abyss. This is what may happen in Ukraine.  We already know this occurred in Libya after the U.S. ousted Moammar Gaddafi. 

We are just a violent and war mongering people. 

• 2 months later...
On 2/23/2022 at 10:36 AM, ProfD said:

I do not believe a God would sanction slavery

He wouldn't; that would be a complete contradiction to the very purpose of Passover and sending Jesus.

According to the scriptures, the Hebrews were under hard bondage for 430 years with no end in sight, therefore Passover was instituted.

The Creator Passed over the sins of the Hebrews and judged the Egyptian government and released the Hebrews from this form of captivity.

Passover is the key to understanding that the Creator would never condone mankind being defined as 'a slave for life'; that is human sacrifice.

On 2/22/2022 at 9:27 PM, Addison said:

subscribe to the false notion that God sanctioned slavery.

Thank you.

,It is ridiculous to think that the almighty would ordain laws  allowing the Hebrews to oppress other nations as they were.

Absolutely.

Yet unscrupulous clergy in the past and even today corrupt the holy scripture to justify the exploitation of the Black race. 

Absolutely.

White Supremacist dread the day that they will be judged and therefore insert deception to try and convince the Black race that God would condone slavery and human sacrifice and forgive them for this type of blasphemy. 

• 2 weeks later...

Addison

To sit up here and deny that the Bible condones slavery is indeed DENIAL itself.

It indeed supports slavery starting with Canaan being allegedly being "cursed" to be a slave to his brothers, as well as giving the Israelites permission to enslave OTHER groups of people who were not of their race like the Canaanites and other groups.

It may not have been the SAME TYPE of slavery that was instituted here in the Americas, but it was slavery none the less: confining people and forcing them to work against their will.

There's no way around it.
You will have to abandon that Caucasian's religion and his so-called "holy books" one day, and the quicker you do so the quicker you advance toward liberation.

• Like 1

On 5/30/2022 at 4:27 PM, Pioneer1 said:

It indeed supports slavery starting with Canaan being allegedly being "cursed" to be a slave to his brothers,

@Pioneer1 No Way. 

You are ignoring references.

On 5/30/2022 at 4:27 PM, Pioneer1 said:

It may not have been the SAME TYPE of slavery that was instituted here in the Americas, but it was slavery none the less:

You are misrepresenting truth. 

Addison used references.

No where in the scriptures will you be able to see slavery condoned. 

[25] And he said, Cursed be Canaan; a servant of servants shall he be unto his brethren.
[26] And he said, Blessed be the LORD God of Shem; and Canaan shall be his servant.
[27] God shall enlarge Japheth, and he shall dwell in the tents of Shem; and Canaan shall be his servant.

GENESIS 9:25-27.

As you said recently @Pioneer1 God allowing things to happen versus God is the key here.

Canaan becoming judged by Noah to be a servant of Japheth does NOT define him to become a slave and neither does this mean that God condoned slavery of any human being. 

THERE IS WHITE SUPREMACY AND DECEPTION WORKING IN THIS COMMUNITY. 

The entirety of GENESIS 9 is based on NOAH's judgment and blessings to his sons, the 3 patriarchs; Shem, Ham and the oldest son JapHeth of whom Noah judged earlier due to SODOMY and GOMER. 

Because JapHeth did not dishonor his father and together with his brother Shem, he covered his mother [Noh's Nakedness] and helped her back out of the tent of whom Noah caught her in the act...

Canaan was 'a bastard'; a product of that incest relationship and this is why Noah judged Canaan to be 'a servant of servant'. 

Sidon and Heth, descendants of Canaan, were sired and developed their cultures in the east and is why Heth shares the name of JapHETH. 

When Noah found out that Canaan was not his direct son, he took back the land that he originally inherited for being a son of Ham. 

**************************** REVELATION 18 ********************************* 

********************* THE DESTRUCTION OF WHITE GOVERNMENT ************************ 

[13] . . . And cinnamon, and odours, and ointments, and frankincense, and wine, and oil, and fine flour, and wheat, and beasts, and sheep, and horses, and chariots, and slaves, and souls of men. REVELATION 18:13.

God never condoned slavery. 

Stop believing that the ancient scriptures were written by White men.

Edited by Chevdove
graphics

Chevdove

2 points:

1.  Like modern interpreters of the Bible, you're taking the word SLAVERY and switching it for SERVANT.
If those scriptures were PROPERLY translated from their literal meaning instead of deceptively translated to make them seem less harsh and more politicaly correct....the word being tranlated as a mere "servant" would have been kept as SLAVE as it originally was.

2. I didn't say God condoned slavery.
God certainly allowed it, but whether God condones it or not, I don't know.

I said THE BIBLE condones slavery.
Not only in the Old Testament but even in the New Testament, slaves are told to OBEY THEIR MASTERS.

Stop playing girl.....lol.

• Thanks 1

21 minutes ago, Pioneer1 said:

I didn't say God condoned slavery.
God certainly allowed it, but whether God condones it or not, I don't know.

Yes! 

22 minutes ago, Pioneer1 said:

slaves are told to OBEY THEIR MASTERS.

Stop playing girl.....lol.

Servants obey your masters, @Pioneer1! Not Slaves.

Government service workers may feel like their slaves if they're Black but not many White service workers. 

The word slave is defined in the Bible as being buying a person like a horse.

The word servant is also fully defined and is not allowed to be treated as a slave.

White people want to be excused for their chattel enslavement of Black people, No, that won't happen. 

There is a distinction and this is clearly defined. 

@Chevdove

Completely untrue. The Bible was written in three languages: Ancient Hebrew, Aramaic and Koine Greek, which was the dominant Greek tongue during the short reign of Macedonian Conqueror Alexander the Great.

The problem with your explanation is that you do not consider how the Koine Greek words were translated. Servants should not ordinarily beaten to the point of serious physical injury, such as losing an eye or suffering broken limbs.

But they were.

Remember, one can do anything they wanted to a someone who was considered a Slave and subject to the emotional whims of their masters.  This is why protections had to be written into the Laws of Moses to allow compensation for their mistreatment. 

• Thanks 1

13 hours ago, Stefan said:

Completely untrue. The Bible was written in three languages: Ancient Hebrew, Aramaic and Koine Greek, which was the dominant Greek tongue during the short reign of Macedonian Conqueror Alexander the Great.

The problem with your explanation is that you do not consider how the Koine Greek words were translated. Servants should not ordinarily beaten to the point of serious physical injury, such as losing an eye or suffering broken limbs.

@Stefan I understand about Koine Greek and its relation to ancient scriptures and the Septuagint, etc. 

As far as 'my explanation', I posted the scriptures for review. Anyone can see that the scriptures clearly define a distinction between 'SERVITUDE' versus 'SLAVERY'.

The Bible gives a complete breakdown on bond servitude and also gives a complete definition of 'slavery'.

These forms of bond servitude are distinct no matter what language was used. 

But they were.

Truth!

Remember, one can do anything they wanted to a someone who was considered a Slave and subject to the emotional whims of their masters.  This is why protections had to be written into the Laws of Moses to allow compensation for their mistreatment. 

Yes.

There is a huge definition between Servant and Slave and different Bible translations tend to mix these Greek words terms up. That is why I wrote what I wrote. 

The scriptures I cited for the mistreatment of Slaves in Ancient Israel prove some were treated rather shabbily. 

This is an issue which means little to me. I just happen to know a bit about it. 

• Like 1

Chev

As Stefan alluded to, there are many different kinds of slavery.
As long as people are being held in custody (against their will) and forced to work....they're in a state of SLAVERY.
It doesn't necessarily have to be as brutal as what our immediate ancestors went through here in the Americas.

You're playing into the translator's semantics and word games that they PURPOSELY mistranslate in order to deceive people.

• Like 1

On 6/2/2022 at 7:01 PM, Stefan said:

There is a huge definition between Servant and Slave and different Bible translations tend to mix these Greek words terms up. That is why I wrote what I wrote. 

Absolutely! 

On 6/2/2022 at 7:01 PM, Stefan said:

The scriptures I cited for the mistreatment of Slaves in Ancient Israel prove some were treated rather shabbily. 

Yes. 

On 6/2/2022 at 8:47 PM, Pioneer1 said:

Chev

As Stefan alluded to, there are many different kinds of slavery.
As long as people are being held in custody (against their will) and forced to work....they're in a state of SLAVERY.
It doesn't necessarily have to be as brutal as what our immediate ancestors went through here in the Americas.

Yes. I agree.

On 6/2/2022 at 8:47 PM, Pioneer1 said:

You're playing into the translator's semantics and word games that they PURPOSELY mistranslate in order to deceive people.

That would NOT be me. I understand perfectly how a deliberate attempt has been made to deceive.

Israel seems to be doing just fine. Netanyahu managed to convince the administration of Bush II that Saddam Hussein was building a nuke. Which was hilarious since Israel's Air Force demolished Iraq's Osirik under-construction nuclear power plant in 1981.

Since then, Iraq had no way of enriching uranium.

Now watch Israel begin to lay the groundwork for an attack on Iran, led of course, by the U.S. and Britain. First, they'll  start with propaganda. 

As soon as the Republicans are back in power, this will begin in earnest. 

Who are the Slaves this time?

On 6/8/2022 at 11:07 AM, ProfD said:

Iran is considered a part of the axis of evil as defined by former POTUS Bush II after the 9/11 attack. 😎

THANK YOU.

I need to do more research. 

I am very curious as to know more about modern day politics about Iran and their neighbors in the Middle East. 

Years ago, my coworker, a man from East Africa once told me that many of the countries in the Middle East are in disagreement with 

the Israeli government because they have major gun power and nuclear weapons [support] from the Western powers. He told me that was

the major conflict with regards to Israeli. He said that they are a small country but yet they have this major support.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Chevdove said:

THANK YOU.

I need to do more research. 

I am very curious as to know more about modern day politics about Iran and their neighbors in the Middle East. 

Years ago, my coworker, a man from East Africa once told me that many of the countries in the Middle East are in disagreement with 

the Israeli government because they have major gun power and nuclear weapons [support] from the Western powers. He told me that was

the major conflict with regards to Israeli. He said that they are a small country but yet they have this major support.

Many people in East Africa, especially Muslim Africans in Somalia and Sudan don't like Israel.
I tell Somalis and Sudanese Muslims 
"I don't care WHAT them Arabs say because they are just as racist against you as the Jews are.  So Somalia, Sudan, and other African nations have no business taking sides in that Arab-Jew conflict"

Black Africans look silly as hell taking sides with one racist over another when BOTH are working together for their destruction.

• Like 1

@Chevdove

One of the reasons why the racist Afrikaaner government in Pretoria, South Africa, was able to hold out for so long is because Israel gave the South Africans nuclear weapons.

Israel simply turned against the African National Congress because they wanted the gold and diamond riches of South Africa. 

• Like 1