House committee approves bill to study slavery reparations for first time

39 minutes ago, Delano said:

Why do you think this will go forward?

Did you read the article?

38 minutes ago, nels said:

Reparations would be an absolute waste of time.

So were the Covid relief bill payments. But it’s important to define eligibility and a method for gathering the information necessary for validation.

6 minutes ago, daniellegfny said:

Did you read the article?

No. I noticed that hasn't been any movement in regards to this for about six months. I also checked to see if any older more established papers had reported the story.

Reparations is not likely to happen for more than one reason. Even the commit vote to "study" reparations was overwhelmingly in favor. The last time Black people were valued was during Slavery

However if your answers is predicated on me reading a twitter feed of a USA Today story that's 9 months old.  I understand your not answering my question.

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Delano said:

No. I noticed that hasn't been any movement in regards to this for about six months. I also checked to see if any older more established papers had reported the story

You don’t consider the Washington Post an older more established paper? I used this source because it didn’t have a paywall like the WaPo where it was called to my attention.

@Delano 

“Legislation to create a commission to study slavery reparations for Black Americans has cleared a House committee in a historic vote, making its way to the full House for the first time more than three decades after it was introduced. 

The legislation, HR 40, now faces a full House vote. Should it pass the House, the measure would go to the evenly divided Senate. “ I would say that’s a milestone crossed. Even if it is just to get out committee and has to now face the full house. It’s also just funding for a study.

A "study" is merely the process of asking questions, collecting information, analyzing and evaluating evidence, drawing conclusions, and sharing knowledge. 

Too much room for smoke and mirrors leaving it up the government.  There's no accountabiilty; checks and balances. 

If the commission decides reparations is not worth pursuing, then what becomes the recourse for ADOS.  

I believe an independent commission led by intelligent AfroAmericans should take up the task of defining reparations and how it should be enumerated and compensated to ADOS.

No doubt...reparations is a very tall order.  As @Delano mentioned, it's not likely to happen for a number of reasons.  Mainly because America would just as soon everybody forget slavery ever existed. 😎

• Thanks 1

In the "The Debt: What America Owes to Blacks," Randall Robinson's intelligent take on Slavery Reparations, he suggested that no one should expect million dollar checks.

Instead, they might enjoy a tax holiday or generous payments for colleges or trade school tradition. And that I agree with.

I would not put faith in anyone who refuses to stay abreast of current news. H.R. 40 has languished in the House with no movement since April 2021.

Basically, this legislation faces long odds and has less of a chance of passing than a new voting rights bill. 

1 hour ago, daniellegfny said:

Delanohere is the WaPo link

@daniellegfny has there been any progress in the last six months. If so can you tell me what has happened.

51 minutes ago, ProfD said:

"study" is merely the process of asking questions, collecting information, analyzing and evaluating evidence, drawing conclusions, and sharing knowledge. 

The late Congressman John Conyers first introduced H.R. 40 more than 30 years ago on the heels of the passage of the Civil Liberties Act of 1988

• Like 1

Recent polling data documents Americans’ general opposition to reparations in the form of financial payments to Black Americans as compensation for slavery.  In 2014, 68% of those polled opposed such payments while only 15% supported them (17% were unsure).  More recent polling in 2020 and 2021 suggests generally comparable results; in 2020, 63% of those polled were opposed to cash payments (31% supported; 6% had no opinion), while in 2021, 62% opposed (38% supported).  There are also indications that this robust opposition remains despite a growing awareness of contemporary racial inequality – suggesting strongly that a racial awakening alone may not substantially alter policy views.

• Like 1

Guest Whatever you want it to be

They had better not use tax payer funds for this.  They had better have a private fund that they are using, if not it will not go well.

18 hours ago, daniellegfny said:

I used this source because it didn’t have a paywall like the WaPo where it was called to my attention.

Yeah the problem is it caused money to produce journalism and the web has created the perception that this is produced for free.  As a result many people consume "news" via instagram and uninformed.

1 hour ago, Guest Whatever you want it to be said:

They had better have a private fund that they are using, if not it will not go well.

First is has not gone "well" for Black folks so far.  But you indirectly bring up a good point.  The money should come from a private fund.  The government, technically, does not have money they can only levy taxes or borrow it. 

The vast majority of the wealth accrued from slavery went to "the 1%" and their wealth has increased generationally.  Maybe they should pony up a small percentage of their slavery derived wealth and fund reparations for Black people.  They are the only ones with the money to pay for it  anyway.  

As of March 2021, the wealth of US Billionaires was 4.18 trillion it is surely more in 2022.  Would the wealthiest give up just 10% of their wealth to make this problem go away? 😉

The truth cash money to individuals alone will not solve the problem.  The structural problems also need to ne remedied.  

• Thanks 1

The federal government of the United States actually collected taxes from the sale of Black Slaves. Which makes it complicit.

This is why taxpayer money needs to be partly used while private institutions and companies must provide the bulk of the funds.

I am just wondering how much largesse the U.S. is going to bestow on Ukrainian immigrants once they're allowed to settle here. 

Blacks deserve Reparations

@Stefan the problem with comparing the Jewish Holocaust (as done in the article you shared) and the African Holocaust in terms of reparations is that we were talking about living survivors.  The same goes for the Japanese-Americans who victimized during WWII.

While there is at least one surviving child of an enslaved African (see video below) the vast majority of us are generations removed from slavery.  As a result it is hard for people to see why we should be compensated.

The other problem is that the American public is so poorly educated about American slavery most people think we were put in a better position by being brought here -- seriously!  

Then of course you have the population of white people, who despite their advantages compared to Black people, are struggling.  They deserve help too, but Black people deserve so much more.  This discrepancy leads to jealously and just plan hate.  this will be virtually impossible to over come.

Maybe instead of cash payments.  How about a life time of not having to pay federal income taxes and a refund of taxes previously pad with interest 🙂

• Like 1

Not just free education. Free HIGHER education or acclaimed training or technical colleges.

If we had more intelligent people, we probably would have not have to contend with spurious posters such as Nels.

I really do not think that poster is Black. He seems more an anti-Black plant and a paid one. 

@ProfD

You did not need to correct anything. You were right in the first instance.

If Black descendants of Slavery want to use their largesse to pay tuition for their offspring or themselves to attend Black Education, Technical or Science Academies, I am all for that. I am certain others would be as well. 

But all of us who are eligible to vote, must do so every time. Elections have consequences. Let's change this to Elections have benefits. 

We are being slaughtered on Messaging by the "CRT sucks" crowd and by traitors in our midst and those masquerading as Black. 

@Troy Chattel Slavery appears too far in the past for anyone to claim Blacks alive today deserve redress. 

I do not believe this is the case at all because we do have surviving Black Slave narratives, photos, drawings and learned historians who have little problem telling the truth about the centuries of our subjugation. 

For everyone else:

Most mistakenly argue for and against Reparations because they do not understand its underlying reasoning.

The purpose of Reparations for Black Slave descendants is NOT for pain and suffering. Reparations will be payment for centuries of UNPAID labor and there are legal precedents for this.

Once this is narrowed down and this salient is driven home repeatedly, it may make our case easier. However, we must contend with the Hate against our People. This will not be easy because new legal ground has to be broken and legal history made before we can even advocate for pain and suffering.

However, we owe it to our ancestors to do something they have always done: Believe a Better Day was coming.

Black Slaves small.png

• Like 1

On 2/25/2022 at 4:23 PM, ProfD said:

I believe an independent commission led by intelligent AfroAmericans should take up the task of defining reparations and how it should be enumerated and compensated to ADOS.

If that’s the case make it so and submit the data to the study.

7 hours ago, Stefan said:

we had more intelligent people, we probably would have not have to contend with spurious posters such as Nels

Your hatred hides your intelligence.

21 hours ago, Troy said:

The other problem is that the American public is so poorly educated about American slavery most people think we were put in a better position by being brought here -- seriously!  

I think that’s compared with conditions found in many parts of Africa and their technological and political structures. I at this stage I would not want to give up my American citizenship. I am open to dual citizenship.

On 2/26/2022 at 10:47 AM, Troy said:

Yeah the problem is it caused money to produce journalism and the web has created the perception that this is produced for free.  As a result many people consume "news" via instagram and uninformed

As you know there are different funding mechanisms. I understand the internet cost money and that people pay in one way or another.

1 hour ago, Stefan said:

We are being slaughtered on Messaging by the "CRT sucks" crowd and by traitors in our midst and those masquerading as Black. 

Nothing is stopping you from developing support systems for the Black community from the AntiCRT crowd. We don’t think that government has the answers for our communities to develop anything other than dependency and misery. 

You don’t need CRT to organize and move forward. CRT actually hides how much progress has been made and provides mental comfort food for the depression and riches for the Proponents like Merrick Garland’s son in law. 

https://nypost.com/2021/10/14/watchdog-probes-ethical-conflicts-tied-to-garland-son-in-law/

Maybe if we started with hold poverty pimps accountable we might garner better results.

On 2/26/2022 at 8:40 AM, Guest Whatever you want it to be said:

They had better not use tax payer funds for this.  They had better have a private fund that they are using, if not it will not go well

You sound like some Redneck with a Grudge. If you are going to make veiled threats like that take off your hood of anonymity.

On 2/25/2022 at 8:45 PM, Delano said:

There are also indications that this robust opposition remains despite a growing awareness of contemporary racial inequality – suggesting strongly that a racial awakening alone may not substantially alter policy views.

People are generally reasonable. The problem is that you have to have a clear coherent case. I am not opposed to reparations. I am opposed to weak arguments that can be used as a wedge to divide America further and not have a clear definitions. Why should I pay reparations to other Black People who don’t have my interest at heart. I should I  volunteer for a Black boot having just removed the White one? 

i have communicated with the ADOS community, they are about as aligned with me as the Back to Africa crowd or Moors or Hebrew Israelites.  

Daniellegfny, I already and clearly defined what Critical Race Theory actually is and included a few links which proves my contention.

I cannot help it if addle-brained folks cannot comprehend 10th grade reading. That's on them, not ME.

I've told you a few times now ... READ!

This is something you rarely do, but you want to appear informed.