More Blacks are Fleeing to the Metaverse. Are you developing the Skills?

@daniellegfny, I'd argue that I'm more tech savvy than your typical person -- even the so called social media influencers people like to talk so much about, as I actually build with technology.  In other words I'm not a luddite. That said, I'm in @ProfD's camp meaning that I will not be joining the Zuck's metaverse either.  

Now I will poke my head in from time to time to see what is going on, but the idea of going into a fully immerse environment controlled by someone solely interested in exploiting and manipulating me for profit is not something I'll be lining up to sign up for. 

You through people were being manipulated by social media now, wait until you we are in the clutches of the Metaverse 🙄

• Like 3

23 hours ago, Troy said:

n other words I'm not a luddite. That said, I'm in @ProfD's camp

It’s not ZUCKERBURG Metaverse. That was the point the Prof Kez had illuminated in her post. My Experience is with a total different app. The Sandbox.game isn’t Meta it’s Def Jam Records. 

And yea @Troy you are a Luddite. Your whole business model is a decade old. You didn’t even recognize the book sales potential which would be generated around metaverse experiences based on those books. I will have a demonstration ready for my NFTS then Books ready by next week. I just have to handle the fallout from the Biden Energy policies.

• Sad 1

5 hours ago, daniellegfny said:

And yea @Troy you are a Luddite.

How many ways can you be wrong. You are saying this on Troy's site. That is one of the few Black own sites and is about expanding folk's horizon. He's been in business for over 20 years. He's actually tried to assist you in selling your book. How do you go to someone 's house for diner and pull out a sandwich.

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Delano said:

How many ways can you be wrong. You are saying this on Troy's site. That is one of the few Black own sites and is about expanding folk's horizon. He's been in business for over 20 years. He's actually tried to assist you in selling your book. How do you go to someone 's house for diner and pull out a sandwich.

I pay for advertising on this site and also paid the $11 newsletter fee. If I can’t speak frankly with a person it means they aren’t worthy of communicating. He is the one who bought up the label Luddite and I disagreed with his assessment. 

Take listen on a dramatic representation of how real Black men converse. https://m.soundcloud.com/latheatreworks/mr-rickey-calls-a-meeting-part-2

If we keep it real we will win.

@Delanoit was listen to. It’s sad how we let preconceived notions prevent us from new experiences.

@Troy and @ProfD this experience doesn’t require any special equipment. You just need to have a cell phone and  download the app.

Gaia Girls & Pixel Pimpin NFTS in Metaverse

https://mtvrs.io/MysteriousBusyIchidna 

Zuck isn’t involved in this project and it more like AR (Augmented Reality) as opposed to virtually reality. I hope to do more projects with books and stories.

9 hours ago, daniellegfny said:

It’s sad how we let preconceived notions prevent us from new experiences.

Yes your comments made me think that as well. You have this ability to be so wrong. While I may disagree with Troy, he's my boy. And even when other members insult me I don't generally respond. Danielle I have lived the dream life, did most of what I felt like doing and I ain't dead yet. I wish you luck. 

On 3/6/2022 at 11:08 AM, Troy said:

Now I will poke my head in from time to time to see what is going on, but the idea of going into a fully immerse environment controlled by someone solely interested in exploiting and manipulating me for profit is not something I'll be lining up to sign up for. 

@Troy

Interaction defines the metaverse, not necessarily the website platform. The word folks are using in connection with the metaverse is "interoperability," defined as: "the ability of computer systems or software to exchange and make use of information." 

IDTechEx_Metaverse.jpg?p=publish

We connect to the internet with personal computers and handheld mobile devices in "cyberspace." Well, to successfully interact with the metaverse, we'll have to incorporate devices that allow for augmented reality, virtual reality, 3D media (which has been in use forever - remember those blue and red glasses they used to hand out at the theater?), etc.

The brands designing those lifestyle products, i.e., software embedded in hardware, will most likely benefit from consumer consumption. For comparison, think of Apple's micro semiconductor chip. The Apple A14 Bionic is a 64-bit ARMv8.4-A system on a chip (SoC) that makes the iPhone the must-have device today. While I don't have to use iCloud or even go there as a destination, it is an option because I'm a product consumer. In contrast, I don't have to go to Facebook for any reason. I'm even less likely to engage in the Meta platform in the metaverse.

Yes, of course, most people go to Facebook, Instagram, and Twitter, but the internet doesn't belong to those websites, any more than the metaverse will belong to them tomorrow. Mark Z - and the other ICT (Information and Communication Technologies) brands will always work together to get the biggest payday from consumers.  

Here's where it gets sticky and appears to be a "gold rush" mania in the making. Folks involved in cryptocurrency make it seem like you have to trade 'coins' and buy 'land' in the metaverse. 

So far, it appears that you can still register a metaverse domain and develop your website through coding. Some say that NFT (non-fungible tokens) will replace trademark laws, so "get yours now." Some have tried that with internet domains and have lost, with-quickness, to the major brands who hold those trademarks.

Anyway, I believe the metaverse will be another way to engage readers. I plan to write more about this topic on #readingblack.com.   

Edited by Mel Hopkins
Insert an image
  • Thanks 1

On 3/7/2022 at 9:38 AM, daniellegfny said:

Your whole business model is a decade old.

Actually it is at least a century old LOL.  I'm more confident the current model will persist for another century than I am the model being rendered obsolete by the metaverse. 

Man, I've played around with Crypto, NFTs, virtual and augmented reality, all of it -- I'm into that kind of the tech stuff.  But for the same reason I don't spend hours of social media I will not be spending an appreciable amount of my life in, or engaging in, the metaverse. 

We are a long way away from selling books on block chains or building a metaverse where books will be purchased.  

Physical books will persists and will be sold outside the metaverse for the foreseeable future.

@daniellegfny did anyone buy your NFT yet?

I'll pass on downloading this apps -- it is not exactly revolutionary...

• Like 2

41 minutes ago, Troy said:

@daniellegfny did anyone buy your NFT yet

Not yet, I am getting closer every day. We shall see. You remind me of the Super Bowl commercial. A thing doesn’t have to be revolution to be of value or useful. People have to make an entry somewhere and I would rather be a producer than just a consumer.

6 hours ago, Mel Hopkins said:

don't have the app - and they haven't updated it in 3 years. 😨  Also, I'm not thrilled by GoMeta's privacy policy. http://help.gometa.io/privacy.html

Ok thank you anyway.

• Like 1

@Troy @Mel Hopkins This site and project is why I raised the issue 

https://blackhistorydao.godaddysites.com

A DAO (Decentralized Autonomous Organization) to preserve black history on the blockchain. The black diaspora has a unique history in that it has been intentionally manipulated and destroyed. Intentionally unfunded. This DAO will gather the coders to lay the foundation of the technology to decentralize history. Gather the griots and scholars to tell the stories that need minting. Gather the marketers, because this will be a global marketing campaign to reprogram the minds of the world with a more accurate picture of our complete history, beyond the past 300 years. Gather the creatives to artistically, and graphically d display what’s been buried, burned, flooded, and erased through time in our history. 

• Thanks 1

@Mel Hopkins, Sorry, I misspoke.  I know full well that people are selling, or attempting to sell, any and everything on block chain. 

What I meant was that we will not see, in my opinion, use of this technology for books for sometime.  Buying books with NFT;s will not suppliant the traditional way of purchasing books -- certainly not in our life time. Have you or @daniellegfny (or anyone) purchased a book on the Block chain?

Even the site you linked to Mel does not sell physical books

Do you, or anyone else here besides Danillegfny and myself hold, cryptocurrency? 

I know, with tech, things can change quickly, but the adoption rate of buying physical things with crypto faces many challenges which will imped, if not stop wide spread adoption.  Most notably is the proliferation of different currencies and lack of standardization, which are two problems I see with Publica -- why are they introducing another cryptocurrency and requiring a proprietary browser extension?  There seems to be very little utility here for the user.  It looks like the owners benefit off the transactions of others hoping to get rich.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Troy said:

Do you, or anyone else here besides Danillegfny and myself hold, cryptocurrency

Yes, I've been trading Bitcoin, Ethereum and other coins since 2018.  Coinbase pays you to learn about new coins. 

13 minutes ago, Troy said:

but the adoption rate of buying physical things with crypto faces many challenges which will imped if not stop wide spread adoption. 

We trade in cryptocurrency like we trade in fiat money - I'm not sure what you mean.  I haven't used my cashapp to trade in cryptocurrency yet - but it's an option.  Do you rermember when I wrote about Publica back in 2018?

• Thanks 1

On 3/12/2022 at 9:55 PM, Delano said:

Would this result in more book sales or is it going to limit book sales but expand the resale market. 

My preliminary assessment is trading nft books is no different than big 5 publishing does with books that are in the public domain and no longer have copyright protection.  Penguin Random House makes a grip selling "The Souls of Black Folks by W.E.B DuBois  - so yes, I believe it would expand the resale market in a similar way.  No one can own the copyright on the book but you can update it with your insight and create NFT for it.  At least, my understanding is the copyright remains with the creator , the winning bidder owns the the original digital file.    

On 3/13/2022 at 7:00 AM, daniellegfny said:

Gather the creatives to artistically, and graphically d display what’s been buried, burned, flooded, and erased through time in our history. 

My understanding of the blockchain ledger - crudely put: no one can go back and change the building blocks. So, the only way it could be effective in black history keeping is if we start from today and add digitized artifacts - kind of like the national archives.   Have you read  this whitepaper https://www.archives.gov/files/records-mgmt/policy/nara-blockchain-whitepaper.pdf ?

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Mel Hopkins said:

the only way it could be effective in black history keeping is if we start from today and add digitized artifacts - kind of like the national archives.   Have you read  this whitepaper https://www.archives.gov/files/records-mgmt/policy/nara-blockchain-whitepaper.pdf ?

I have not read the white baby yet I will do that this evening also your expertise might be extremely helpful with this particular down it’s now the project that I am running it’s some other people who are running this particular project but I most definitely have wanted to quot by the recording of black history it’s just like we have recorded black history and out already but you would probably have the addition of A/V files know you probably have different types of digital items that were completed that would be added to the archive so it’s not like oh hello go back in time but no I would imagine that pretty much be building at five below  box that we currently have for Black history and going beyond that 

On 3/14/2022 at 2:27 PM, daniellegfny said:

also your expertise might be extremely helpful with this particular down

@daniellegfnyI'm not sure what you mean by " this particular down. "  Also, I'm not a blockchain technology expert.  My vocation is journalism. I'm an expert at gathering and disseminating information.  In short, I read a lot.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, ProfD said:

I think brotha @Delano is referring to the Metaverse in general as a temporary escape from reality.

At least, that's what the whole Lego digital people and landcape looks like to me.😁😎

I felt a little guilty because reading does help me escape some of the madness.  And yep  nailed it with legoland! 😅

Yes hobbies and pastimes are a way of escaping reality. Just remember that the world exists only in your mind. If you think your a genius, then you're a genius. Everyone lives in their own world it is only a problem when these self delusions impinge on others.
A friend once said if you enjoy it , the time isn't wasted.

1 hour ago, daniellegfny said:

Another way to accumulate and transfer wealth.

Most people fall into one of those categories, so this isn't new.

3 hours ago, Mel Hopkins said:

I felt a little guilty because reading does help me escape some of the madness

If you didn't escape the madness you would go mad. I heard that dreams allow us to go mad every night.

3 hours ago, ProfD said:

I think brotha @Delano is referring to the Metaverse in general as a temporary escape from reality.

You both are right. Contextually, the subject is the Metaverse. However I wanted to suggest entertaining the idea, that disposable time is generally used to escape reality or the mundane aspect of our existence.

How many things aren't an escape from reality?

Edited by Delano
typos
  • Like 1

On 3/14/2022 at 11:18 AM, Mel Hopkins said:

We trade in cryptocurrency like we trade in fiat money

We trade across fiat currencies and financial institutions make a lot of money during this.  And sure individuals can do this with Crypto, but again doing this is even more complicated for the vast majority of individuals.

On 3/16/2022 at 7:54 PM, Delano said:

A friend once said if you enjoy it , the time isn't wasted.

I guess it depends upon how you define "wasted" time.  Drug addicts enjoy getting high; is that wasted time? Rapists derive pleasure from victimizing others; is their time wasted?   I thing so, but my definition of wasted time apparently differs from that of your friend.

Back to the Metaverse, @ProfD the pixelated people of LEGOLAND is not the metaverse.  It will be a fully immersive digital environment which may ultimately be indistinguishable from the real world; more like the Star Trek holodeck. Except, lurking in the background, Zuck will be devising more diabolical ways to extract your wealth and time.

Meanwhile, your ability to engage in the real world will be diminished to the point where you no longer productive or derive pleasure from life outside Zuck's Metaverse.

And @daniellegfny I know you said it is not Zuck's Metaverse, but it is not Zuck;s Internet either ... or is it?  Think about it. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Troy said:

Back to the Metaverse, @ProfD the pixelated people of LEGOLAND is not the metaverse.  It will be a fully immersive digital environment which may ultimately be indistinguishable from the real world; more like the Star Trek holodeck.

I know.  My comedic mind wouldn't allow me to pass up taking the shot. 😁

When it comes to digital enviroments, I'm just not there.  No social media for this old man.  This site is one of very places I participate digitally. 

Otherwise, I"ll be an analog guy to the grave.  It has to appeal to my senses.  H8ll, I still shop for my groceries. 😁 😎

• Like 2

3 hours ago, ProfD said:

...I still shop for my groceries

Neanderthal!😆

Man, there are new apartments in NYC where there isn't even a pretense of a kitchen -- people order, and eat, out so frequently -- there is no perceived need.,,

3 hours ago, ProfD said:

This site is one of very places I participate digitally. 

Thank you!  If you care to share what the appeal of this forum is for you maybe I can share it with others and get more participation.  

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Troy said:

I guess it depends upon how you define "wasted" time.  Drug addicts enjoy getting high; is that wasted time? Rapists derive pleasure from victimizing others; is their time wasted?   I thing so, but my definition of wasted time apparently differs from that of your friend.

Did Malcolm Little waste his time? He was a junky before he became Malcolm X. While I see you're point and don't agree, am I not trying to defend or justify rapist. Although it is an interesting rhetorical approach.

When have I ever been advocate for harming others @Troy

1 hour ago, Troy said:

Neanderthal!😆

Man, there are new apartments in NYC where there isn't even a pretense of a kitchen -- people order, and eat, out so frequently -- there is no perceived need.,,

Thank you!  If you care to share what the appeal of this forum is for you maybe I can share it with others and get more participation.  

Yessir. My cave doesn't even have an address  🤣

For me, the appeal of the forum is that it's a discussion space for black folks.

The cast of characters made the fourm interesting too. Hate that I ran them away.🤭

i doubt thet my reason for participating will motivate others. But, I'm comfortable in my easy chair.😎

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Troy said:

We trade across fiat currencies and financial institutions make a lot of money during this.  And sure individuals can do this with Crypto, but again doing this is even more complicated for the vast majority of individuals.

When you write "Trade Across," are you referring to the foreign exchange (FOREX)? - ETF (exchange-traded funds) investing?- I agree with that too. I made a few "dollars" ETF investing in the Yuan around 2012-2013 (I think). Aside: a lot of folks don't know this, but working as a flight attendant is like earning a GLOBAL MBA. I got stories. 😉 

But I'm not talking about trading across currencies.

I mean trade cryptocurrency for goods and services like we trade US dollars for goods/services. For example, Today, I can edit a paper and ask for a Cash App payment in Bitcoin. I can cash out too. It is that simple. These platforms exist to make the transition smoother.  

However, I think your original statement raises the question of Usability versus Utility. ("Is it easy to use" versus "do we need it")

I just finished watching the JP Morgan Chase CEO of asset and wealth management on Bloomberg - and her main gripe is keeping financial talk simple so that everyone can understand how to invest.

Plain communication helps to drive easy-to-use design.

When referring to anything digital, the KISS method would benefit Boomers, X-boomers (the Jones Generation), and the first group of generation X, especially since the digital age happened to us. Digital generations Millennials and Generation Z live it - but they may not have an easy time explaining it to dinosaurs.   Aside: Not too long after graduating from Tech, I worked for Digital Equipment Corporation during its heyday. 😏 It was fortuitous to have access and exposure to technology communication since my teen years and beyond.  I do my best to share that insight. 

If we're going to bring our community up to speed, we must discuss emerging technologies in plain language.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Mel Hopkins said:

are you referring to the foreign exchange (FOREX)? - ETF (exchange-traded funds) investing?- I agree with that too.

I am not sure you appreciate just how much smarter you are than the average bear.  …. Or maybe my opinion of the masses is just too low, But I don’t think so 😉

yeah i did miss understand what you meant by hanging across currencies…

i raise both Utility and usability arguments. Crypto is far too lacking in both for widespread adoption right now. These are things I’m considering for the AALBC website redesign.

@Delano you worked at Wang! man you must be super smart too 🙂 no wonder you and Mel are kindred spirits. 

22 hours ago, Delano said:

… it is an interesting rhetorical approach

I thought so and is why I disagree with the statement. Pure hedonism is selfish.

well @ProfD thanks for joining us. I’m due there are others out there like you — i just gotta find them and get them here.

• Haha 1

@Troy I think that both Mel and are comfortable in the spiritual and the intellectual. In addition she lime yourself is amphibious we can swim in both cultures.

The regional controller wrote me such a good recommendation, the Dean of admissions at Yale University grad school was impressed. I hadn't finished undergrad. He said we don't take people out of undergrad. But when I showed him my letter of recommendation. He said but we do make exceptions.

5 hours ago, Troy said:

I am not sure you appreciate just how much smarter you are than the average bear.

It's obvious to me that @Mel Hopkins is above average in intelligence and esoteric knowledge.

5 hours ago, Troy said:

thought so and is why I disagree with the statement. Pure hedonism is selfish

Possibly however perhaps some women who "knew" Casanova might disagree. Tee hee hee.

https://www.smithsonianmag.com/travel/who-was-casanova-160003650/

He was an intellectual , an astrologer and a talented writer. All of which was news to me.

Apart from the more than 120 notorious love affairs with countesses, milkmaids and nuns, which take up about a third of the book, the memoir includes escapes, duels, swindles, stagecoach journeys, arrests and meetings with royals, gamblers and mountebanks

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Delano said:

DEC was big in in the Boston area. I did a co-op at Wang Labs in the mid 80's. So you are giving me a flash back.

Ok now it's getting really weird.  Are our lives our own?  😱

18 hours ago, Troy said:

I am not sure you appreciate just how much smarter you are than the average bear.  …. Or maybe my opinion of the masses is just too low, But I don’t think so 😉

erm...Thank you? 🤣

1 hour ago, Mel Hopkins said:

erm...Thank you? 🤣

Is Troy saying that you can't tell you are smarter than people around you. Our that people around you aren't smart, in which case you're average?

I am going to make a word to describe this, complisult. Starts as compliment ends as an insult

@Mel Hopkins if you were flying international from 97-00 we may have met.

Actually I used to fly to the islands around Christmas 84-91.

• Haha 1

20 hours ago, Delano said:

I am going to make a word to describe this, complisult. Starts as compliment ends as an insult

YES!!! Perfect word! 😆

20 hours ago, Delano said:

if you were flying international from 97-00 we may have met.

Actually I used to fly to the islands around Christmas 84-91.

I started flying international routes in '08. Best gig ever! Well, until we got the low-rent gangster Smisek for a CEO. I left the job soon after. Many flight attendants hated Glenn Tilton. Someone in scheduling (or higher up) requested me for the lead flight attendant for the executive merger transition team flight. Tilton was on that flight, and I found out he was all about the passengers. Tilton was older, but many of United's passenger-technological upgrades began under his leadership. He was also a gentleman. Smisek, in comparison, had no honor - and the airline went down under him. 

Edited by Mel Hopkins
clarity
  • Like 1