Americans back ban on Russian oil imports, even if prices rise

A new WSJ poll finds that 79% of people in the United States support Joe Biden's ban on imports of Russian oil.

And they feel this way, according to the poll, even if gas prices rise. 

This ought to kick the Biden haters square in their pants.

President Biden on Tuesday halted the purchase of Russian crude oil, certain petroleum products, liquefied natural gas and coal, according to the March 8 edition of the Wall Street Edition.

The WSJ certainly carries more weight with the world and the U.S. corporate and business communities than the hysterical ramblings of Trump supporters. 

The new Journal poll showed broad support for the energy ban across political breakdowns. The ban had support from 77% of Republicans and 72% of voters who said they would support former President Trump if he ran again in 2024. Among Democrats, 88% said they favored the moratorium on Russian oil imports, including 94% of Democratic men, the WSJ said.

Guess the losers who care only about themselves, and not innocent and dying people, are on the wrong side of history.

Wanna read the whole WSJ story? Click on the photo after clicking on this link.

Americans back a ban on Russian oil imports

America definitely should ban Russian oil imports even if it's only a 2% consumption. 

However, I think it's unfair that Americans are paying higher gas prices at the pump and for heating too. 

America has enough reserves to drop fuel prices significantly. Instead, they're willing to satisfy futures investors and shareholders. 

It's unfortunate that this conflict is 1) costing innocent lives and 2)  another money grab.

Geopolitics is a dirty business. I hope this situation gets resolved soon. 😎

People are just going to have to pay more. No country can continue using up its reserves of oil. If both parties had been forward thinking they would have endorsed alternative energy sources. 

Fossil fuels will not last forever and there is now ample evidence that their continued use contributes greatly to air, ground and water pollution.

Geopolitics is not always a dirty business. President Jimmy Carter made super use of global politics and diplomacy by ending a 30-year state of war between Israel and Egypt through his Camp David Accords.

Carter was masterful and kept Anwar Sadat and Menachem Begin interested, talking and got them to reach agreement after 12 days of secret talks at Camp David in Maryland.

That's just it...America doesn't tap into its own reserves. We've purposefully stopped fracking because it's cheaper to buy from the global market. 

Regardless of whether it's gas, electronics, clothes, shoes, furniture,  etc., Americans are paying higher costs on cheaply produced sh8t that comes from overseas. The rich get richer.

Fossil fuels and natural gas are scheduled to last another 50+ years. Coal should last 100+ years. Then, there's alternative sources of fuel being developed.

Electric cars will be the norm in about 15 years. That's another reason for the money grab.

Oil companies are making a windfall of cash while positioning themselves to make the switch from fossil fuel to electric power.

Controlled chaos is the best way to get people to think and react in a predictable way. Watch their hands and follow the money. 😎

Black people suffer horribly from air pollution, much of which is tied to refining and use of fossil fuels.

Increasing oil and gas use produces acid rain, a warmer atmosphere and respiratory illnesses. 

In New York City and other urban areas, there are much higher incidents of childhood asthma which are blamed on the construction of waste transfer stations and elected officials having ignored healthcare discrepancies for decades. 

Do any of you understand how many individuals lose their lives every year due to oil and gas use? Including the burning of coal, it's about one out of five.

I am not a tree hugger, but some of you seem more worried about paying a few more dollars every time you gas up than the Black child or grandparent struggling to breathe in polluted air. 

One out of five people killed by fossil fuel air pollution

6 hours ago, Stefan said:

Do any of you understand how many individuals lose their lives every year due to oil and gas use? Including the burning of coal, it's about one out of five.

Statistics are interesting and usually exaggerated to make a point.  It helps to know the "control" numbers. 

There are 8 billion people on the planet.  1 out of 5 people dying from air pollution would be 1.6 billion.  

Yet, it is estimated that annually, about 7 million people die from air pollution globally.  I"m not a statistician or mathematican but that's not 1 out of 5.

China and India account for about 5 million air pollution deaths.  The remaining 2 million deaths are spread out over western Europe, Southeast Asia and parts of the US Northeast and Midwest.  

Interestingly, the virus that claimed 6 million lives globally over a period of 2 years was classified as a pandemic.   

Rhetorically, I wonder why air pollution doesn't carry the same classification. 😎

The price of a barrel of crude oil dropped from $125 to $95 wthin a matter of days. 

We should be seeing a 17 cent per gallon reduction at the gas pump any day now.

The saddest or funniest part depending on your sense of humor is that 2 years ago, a barrel of crude oil was selling for -$41 per barrrel.  That's right.  They were giving it away.  Yet, during that same timeframe, the  national average was about  $3 per gallon at the pump.  It wasn't free.

So, these folks are not price gouging consumers out of necessity.  They're raising gas prices because they can get away with it legally. 😎

• Thanks 1

Which is what I've been saying since the beginning of this Ukraine-Russia conflict. All these price increases at the pump are nothing more than the result of pure and unadulterated greed. 

The angst of the selfish, the misinformed and the angry is silly. No amount of drilling, release of strategic oil stockpiles and belief that completing the Keystone Pipeline project will reduce gasoline or diesel prices at the pump. 

My concern is not for the selfish or the greedy in the U.S.

My sympathy is for WBNA star Brittany Griner whose detention in Russia has been extended until at least May 19. 

My worry is for Black African and other foreign university students who could not escape Ukraine in a timely fashion. I wonder and hope if all of them are safe.

And my compassion will be for the people of Africa when Ukrainian grain exports to the continent are slashed under Russia's continuous bombing and artillery shells.

And BTW, do not throw away your facemasks. I knew the Covid-19 mandates were ended too early.

The latest Covid-19 mutation, the BA.2 Omicron subvariant, is reportedly even more transmissible than other variants. And it's clobbering China and Hong Kong as you read this.

The living will rebound from higher fuel prices, incarceration, displacement, a lack of goods and creature comforts and even food shortages.

However, there is no coming back from death.  This is not a  video game.   There is no reset.

My sympathy goes to the thousands of Ukrainian and Russian lives being sacrificed for political reasons. 😎

Interesting conversation.

Oil is generally purchased in advance, at a set price, to protect businesses from volatility in prices. The immediate change in prices seen at the pump, in airline tickets, or in your utility bill is profiteering.  If the price of a barrel of gas goes up today that does not mean the price has to be immediately passed on to the consumer -- the gas has already been purchased.

Again, we need to move on from fossil fuels.  the idea that we would continue to use them for another hundred years knowing what we know it is doing to the planet seems insane to me.

Here in Tulsa, I've experienced earthquakes and my understanding is that this is a direct result of fracking...

The pandemic is largely over here in Tulsa there is little evidence outside of hospitals that we are in the midst of a "pandemic."  Covid variants are seemingly part of our life now -- get used to it. Like the flu vaccine, a covid vaccine will be part of our lives, for the foreseeable future...

@Troy, you're absolutely right about the price of oil and how it works.

The money folks  know consumers aren't going to protest or complain too much about gas going up and down like the Dow Jones. 

Same goes for moving from fossil fuel to alternative sources of energy. Neither the money folks nor the consumers are more interested in saving the planet than burning dinosaur extract in order to get around. 

The pandemic has moved into the endemic phase. Now, they're going to treat it just like the flu virus. Right. 

It's interesting that I don't hear much of anything about the virus since the invasion of Ukraine started. I guess senseless murder is more important. 😎

• Thanks 1

The reason why so many don't hear much about Covid-19 is because they don't assiduously peruse the news as others do. But Covid-19 had not gone away. 

What has largely dispersed is the worry. But unvaccinated folks, especially older ones, are still dying in high numbers because of new variants.

For example, the newest Covid-19 variant, called Omicron BA.2, has hit China hard. 

https://time.com/6157720/china-stealth-omicron-covid-outbreak/

It really depends on what news program one watches or what news websites one reads. But Covid-19 is still around and still mutating. 

March 18 - New Covid variant killing many in Hong Kong

1 hour ago, Stefan said:

The reason why so many don't hear much about Covid-19 is because they don't assiduously peruse the news as others do. But Covid-19 had not gone away. 

It really depends on what news program one watches or what news websites one reads. But Covid-19 is still around and still mutating. 

Sure.  I still hear about the virus but it's no longer at a fever pitch. 

At point in time, there was a ticker on the screen showing the # of case, # of deaths, # of vaxxed, # of hospital beds open, etc. 

Now, the media casually mentions the Deltacron variant and outbreak in China.  The coverage has changed from 6 months ago.😎

On 3/8/2022 at 6:01 PM, Stefan said:

President Biden on Tuesday halted the purchase of Russian crude oil, certain petroleum products, liquefied natural gas and coal, according to the March 8 edition of the Wall Street Edition.

Yes, I read that America did trade with Russia and continued to do so after the invasion.

I also read that some felt that by doing so would contribute to Russia being able to fund their invasion. 

On 3/17/2022 at 6:49 PM, Stefan said:

Which is what I've been saying since the beginning of this Ukraine-Russia conflict. All these price increases at the pump are nothing more than the result of pure and unadulterated greed.

I had hoped not. 

I also find it interesting that 16 countries did not vote against Russia's plan to invade; I understand that these countries did not agree, but still did not vote against the invasion and I am still trying to understand why. I know the Eritrea was one of the group and analyst say that in the past, Russia made great efforts to support Eritrea for certain reasons. 

Russia wants and needs allies around the world. And some leaders of Black African countries seemed to be easily co-opted by Moscow and Beijing. 

I cannot entirely blame them. 

Most U.S. presidents and the U.S. Congress have given Black Africa the cold shoulder for decades. Much of the promised Covid-19 vaccines were never delivered. Economic and financial aid from the U.S. to the continent has always been a trickle. Trump always referred to Black African nations as "sh!thole countries."

As far as countries refusing to condemn Russia's invasion of Ukraine outright, these nations and their people still have to exist after this war is over. 

And trying to exist may not be easy because of this war:

Ukraine war imperils Africa and Middle East grain imports