Why Obama is a Diappointment/ Why We Must Support Him

I worked like a dog for him. I was standing on the mall inauguration day along with tens of thousands of others, thrilled at the prospect of the dawn of a new age. It was not simply that he was the first black man with a serious chance of being elected president. I would have been the first one in line to vote against a Clarence Thomas or a Michael Steele. He spoke in the language of a progressive who would fight to make the United States a fairer place—who would fight for universal health care, for public works programs that would put people back to work fixing road and bridges, for laws that would make it easier for workers to form unions and fight for their own rights, for a tax system in which the rich paid their share, for rules that would end the kind of Wall Street recklessness that nearly brought the world’s economy crashing down. Sadly, although there have been some significant accomplishments, little that is fundamental has changed—the rich are richer, the poor and middle class are more desperate, corporate power is greater than ever, and money rules congress while a few progressive voices struggle to be heard over the Tea Party, right-wing din. And as eloquent as his words were in 2008 he has somehow, inexplicably, allowed the most reactionary elements on the other side to set the terms of debate, to frame the language within which the pundits and the public talk about the nation’s ills and possible remedies.

Yet we must support him and fight as fiercely in 2012 as we did in 2008. If you think it is bad now, the republican governors elected last year have given us a preview of what it would be like if the republicans controlled all three branches of government. The unthinkable would become common place. Here is a short list.

1. In the name of decreasing the federal budget deficit social security, Medicare, Pell grants and other programs that benefit the middle class and working people would be decimated while tax cuts for the wealthy would be made permanent.

2. The one or two Supreme Court openings that will occur in the next few years would go to conservatives who would join Scalia, et. al. in making it harder to fight employment discrimination, easier for corporations to buy elections, harder curb abuses in the criminal justice system, harder for people injured by defective products to seek redress.

3. Legislation aimed at making it relaxing the already lax rules on corporations fouling the air we breathe and the water we drink would become law as would legislation curbing regulations aimed at preventing Wall Street speculators from again enriching themselves while bringing the economy to the edge of ruin.

4. Rights long taken for granted might again become matters of debate. When was the last time one heard a member of the Senate question the constitutionality of the 1964 Civil Rights Act with its prohibition on discrimination in public accommodation such as hotels and restaurants, and its prohibition on employment discrimination on racial or gender grounds. A republican senate majority would make Kentucky senator Rand Paul, a candidate for a committee chairmanship. The right-wing social agenda is as devastating as its economic agenda.

By any conceivable measure the middle class, the poor, African-Americans, Hispanics, gays, abortion rights advocates, environmentalists, trade unionists, civil libertarians, and most other Americans would be better off in an Obama administration after 2012 than in any republican administration.

Our task and charge is to show as much passion, be as well organized, and press as hard for progressive positions as the other side presses their retrogressive, destructive agenda. Ironically, most polls show the majority of Americans to be more progressive on the issues than their elected representatives. Our task is to press lame, vacillating, mealy-mouthed democrats, including Obama to do the right thing.

Sure I’m disappointed with Obama---but I will be pounding the pavements again in 2012, and I hope you will too.

http://www.facesinthemirror.com

I think it's rather ridiculous that you exhort us to revitalize our enthusiasm for a "disappointing" candidate who throwing our support to will amount to nothing more than voting for the lesser of 2 evils.

What if an independent candidate appears on the scene who doesn't espouse the platform of the Republican/Tea Party candidate but who vows to pursue the agenda that Obama has abandoned??

Nowadays, does one black person really have the right to tell another one to work like a dog and pound the pavements for a candidate just because he is a half black man masquerading as a liberal??

I think it's rather ridiculous that you exhort us to revitalize our enthusiasm for a "disappointing" candidate who support for will amount to nothing more than voting for the lesser of 2 evils.

What if an independent candidate appears on the scene who doesn't espouse the platform of the Republican/Tea Party candidate but who vows to pursue the agenda that Obama has abandoned??

Nowadays, does one black person really have the right to tell another one to work like a dog and pound the pavements for a candidate just because he is a half black man masquerading as a liberal??

The third party candidate would not be elected and you would probably tip the election to the republican candidate---thereby opening up the gates of hell. Think 2000 and Ralph Nader's candidacy which helped tip the contest to Bush---I've seen that movie before---We've taken that ride before---let's not do it again.

JH

You're deluding yourself if you think that once Blacks help Obama get re-elected they can make demands on him. Being a second-term president relieves him of the obligation to honor the expectations of his suppporters since he can't run again anyway.

It's a lost cause but be my guest in your quest to dare to dream.

• Like 1

Listening to Obama's press conference this afternoon, it was good to hear him give the Republican-controlled congress hell. :wub: You don't have to be a flaming Liberal to be fed up with those idiotic assholes.

Michele Bachmann and Sarah Palin are having a contest to see who can be the most ignorant when it comes to American history! :blink:

As Cornel would say our country is run by oligrachs and plutocrats. Obama seemingly is just one of their tools.

The midterm elections showed you just how much Black folks care or even understand the process as virtually no one showed up.

Even I am pretty feed up with the political system. The candidates say whatever is necessary to win, they need far too much money to a viable candidate.

• 1 month later...

I think that is high time that we "Black" people free our minds of this Messiah mentality we hang on to. Too many of us are still looking for one of us to do for millions of us what millions of us should be doing for ourselves. Why do so many of us seem so dissappointed with Obama as if he was supposed to the perfect "Black"man? Are any of us perfect? Besides how well would any of us do in his seat? Remember the President of a country is supposed to look out for all the citizens of that country, even if they do not look like him. Considering all that has been thrown at him plus the lack of help gets even from the millions of us-yes I think I'll vote for him again. Maybe to just to tick-off the Tea Party.

John H, I am totally feeling you and agree 100%. I've been saying the same thing (at this site) for several years. My "voice" is different than yours but we are saying the same thing... take a look.

Raise your hands in the air if you just don't care. Or, wave the flag for Ms Palin or any old Mr Charlie?

Let me cut to the chase. Some blacks should change their names to Mr. & Mrs. BootyForSell.

That's right, they should flash a red sign and adorn it with big purple lips - and a big fat booty. You know, them big booty lips that compliment deep ass kissing while they spout half-baked solutions. But wait, dez some smart negros that may not know the errs of their ways. I mean, they have great writing skills that most would die for - but many of them ain't talking about a damn thang except what Obama has "alledgedly" done wrong.

Listen, I am a ride or die Obama supporter that....

"HOLD UP CAREY, WHEN ARE YOU GOING TO STOP HERO WORSHIPING?"

No, you hold up, and you can miss me with that one. I mean, you should define hero worshiping. I know you may believe that's a clever phrase, but it's nothing more than a tired and trite remark that allows you to run from the truth. Get back to me with your definition of a hero worshiper.

But first, tell me, who would you rather have in office, Obama or and ol'nondescribt Mr Charlie? Come on now, answer that question. I know most of my wayward friends will have a hard time answering that one. Well, since they claim to be supporting Obama's mission, they can't say, "we love Mr Charlie". On the other hand, if they say Mr Charlie, I'd say "give me his *bleepin* name". Who would be a good replacement? And, since I am referring to smart negros, they wouldn't say anybody except President Obama. I mean, that reply would instantly discredit them. And lord knows what that would do for their egos.

That reminds me, I believe much of their whimsical hater-aid "constructive feedback" (conscience of not) is rooted in an ego that's in grave need of constant stroking. What else could justify their negative rants about our presidents?

"But Carey, we can't give him a pass just because he's black"

Who said anything about a pass you knuckle head? Again, if not Obama than who?! See, some folks wish to run from that question, They will never answer that question. They generally give a ambiguous answer like "it could be someone who has not yet stepped in the race", yeah, right.

Really, that's the big elephant in this house "who would my naysay negro friends chose as a replacement". If you can't stop the elephant, then your house will become very raggedy. And, we all heard what Malcolm said:

"if your kitchen is dirty and your mind is cluttered, your house is dirty"

So, would it be right to invite someone to dinner and feed them Cracker Jacks? Wouldn't that be kind of dirty? Well, inside a box of Cracker Jacks, there's always a surprise. Who exactly is going to jump out of the box? But I am still wondering who my no-no Obama friends would bring to the table. Who?... Any ol'cracker-Jack?

Remember, the elephant is still there. He ain't going to disappear because the question is side stepped. Consequently, until the chicken head naysayers can tell me the purpose behind their eloquent dissing of President Obama, I can't help but believe they are unconsciously soothing a soul that needs to sound intelligent. More importantly, they have to know their words are a cheap cloned edition of Mr Charlie's. I wish they would just speak the truth and come out of the closet. I wish they would change their names to STUPID Black Booty For Sale: The place of intelligent BIG BOOTY for your Disposal. "We don't know and have no idea who would replace Obama, but we'll just flip a coin and maybe a "good" republican will appear from the clouds"

"But again carey, we can't give Obama a pass because he is black, we have to make him accounting"

Okay, one mo gin for all the circle jerks. Do you really think you are making him accountable by mimicking the words of his arch rivals?! I mean, really? Do you think you're making him accountable by sitting with a bunch of people that acquired their political science degrees on-line - or off the 10 o'clock news? I mean, what's accomplished by listening to rants, half-baked solutions, haters and naysayers - huh? Surely that's not making him accountable. That's nothing more than a game of spades or dominoes. Any negro can sit around a table and talk trash. I mean, making him accountable??? Tell me, tell me exactly how you're doing that? I mean, considering the un-focused willy-nilly rhetoric, that's the final product of most political discussions, I find it hard to believe that's a package that would make the president accountable. Having said all of that, in the very least; would your words move people toward Obama or move them away from him? Don't duck now, but the BIG ASS ELEPHANT is still in the house. If not Obama than who? Think about it.

Play the story to the end.

I know this post will not get me invited to soft music and satin sheets, but as Martin Luther King said,

"Many people fear nothing more terrible than to take a position which stands out sharply and clearly from the prevailing opinion. The tendency of most is to adopt a view that is so ambiguous that it will include everything and so popular that it will include everybody"

Come on folks, John is laying the results right in front of you. Look at the big picture. Obama vs WHO?! Pick a side. We don't need enemies on our own team.

If not, Obama than who? Well, I've voted in 12 presidential races, and I feel like I've paid enough homage to the people who came before me and made it possible for me to vote. I now have the right to NOT vote, and I refuse to vote for Obama simply because he's the best we can do. I personally don't think it matters one way or nother whether I vote and I probably won't do so in this upcoming election if I'm still alive.

I'm sick of people excusing Obama's gaffes because Bush and Reagan and Clinton did something just as bad. Obama needs to give the semblance of empathizing with victims of the bad economy and cut that damn Martha's Vineyard holiday short and get his ass back in Washington DC and do his chilling out in private, while at least outwardly giving the appearance of being on the case! When it comes to projecting the right image, when are he and his inept advisors gonna quit playing into the Republicans' hands by making the president look silly and stupid???

• Like 1

• 1 month later...