Slap: state your case, no answer is wrong or right

Each reader, the question that pertains to you is under your gender in bold. 

WOMEN

Married black women or boyfriended black women: you are at an award show with your significant other. A comedian makes a snide jest to your physical condition as a joke. Regardless of what your significant other does, what do you do? 

MEN

Married black men or girlfriended black men: you are at an award show with your significant other. A comedian makes a snide jest to your significant other's physical condition as a joke. Regardless of what your significant other does, what do you do?

Remember, no answer is right or wrong. I just want to know what you will do. Hopefully you can be as honest as possible. 

How Chris maintained his cool in that situation is beyond me. I’m not sure I could have maintained mind — I would have been in Will’s ass. Chris is a gentleman and Will behaved like a teenage moron. They had the nerve to give him an award, he should have been arrested.

…but to answer the question:

I wouldn’t do anything. If it were funny I might laugh. But it depends. Will’s reaction was simply crazy.

i never watch the academy awards but this assault was all over the news, so i could not avoid it.  interestingly it made me a bit angry to see a black man slap another Black man in a room full of white folk.  I have nothing but contempt  for Will’s violent behavior. 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Troy said:

i never watch the academy awards but this assault was all over the news, so i could not avoid it.  interestingly it made me a bit angry to see a black man slap another Black man in a room full of white folk.  I have nothing but contempt  for Will’s violent behavior. 

Same here. As I mentioned in another thread, it was a bad look for black men. All dressed up like penguins but one acting a fool. 

Will has apologized but the damage is already done.

They wonder why the Academy awards has been white for so long. 😁😎

• Haha 1

I totally agree that Will Smith's behavior at the Oscar's ceremony was uncalled for. His blubbering Oscar winning acceptance speech didn't redeem him at all.  He just threw  himself a pity party and failed in his self serving attempt to do damage control.  Nor is Jada a sympathetic character in the drama.  She is not ill and i question how severe her alopecia  is.  I  wouldn't be surprised if she is just experiencing the hair loss that often afflicts middle aged women on the brink of menopause, a condition attributed to hormonal activity.  In any case, If she can't deal with the observations about her shaved head, she should just wear a wig and keep on truckin'.

And of course social media is rampant with rumor and gossip, and the usual brigade of skeptics claiming they are too smart to be taken in by this charade and that, for some unfathomable reason, this incident between Will and Chris was all "staged". Whatever. Who cares? Anything  is better than hearing the hour by hour account of what's happening in Ukraine.  

On 3/28/2022 at 7:10 PM, richardmurray said:

Married black women or boyfriended black women: you are at an award show with your significant other. A comedian makes a snide jest to your physical condition as a joke. Regardless of what your significant other does, what do you do? 

I am a widow but if I did find myself in the described situation, I'd probably just grunt and do the black woman eye roll that's been known to vaporize antagonists .  I'd also restrain my significant other if he wanted to make a scene.

BTW, I actually thought Chris' reference to G.I. Jane was funny. And not an insult.  I've seen that movie starring Demi Moore several times on TV, and G.I. Jane was a strong, courageous woman trying to make the grade as the first female to become a Navy Seal. That was why she shaved her head. 

Much ado about nothin - that will go down in history... 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1