Smiley and West Criticize Obama on Tour

Smiley and West poverty tour draws criticism, support

12 august 2011

Talk show host Tavis Smiley and academic activist Cornel West embarked last week on a poverty tour to highlight growing inequality in the U.S. Both West and Smiley are vocal critics of President Obama's policies.

The bus tour, which expects to stop in 16 cities, opened in Chicago on August 6. It seeks to address the failure of Washington's leaders to confront an across-the-board growth in poverty but particularly among African Americans.

Dr. West, who claims the tour is not anti-Obama, in an interview on BET said, "Tavis Smiley and I had been talking for a year about how to dramatize the poverty and humanize our perception of poor people in America. This is especially so for the Black poor. Poverty has been criminalized, poor people demonized and what we want to do is dramatize poverty and humanize our perception of poor people to overturn what has been in place for so long."

West has referred to the president despairingly as Wall Street's "mascot," drawing sharp criticism from many quarters for personalizing important political issues. Both tour promoters have complained of alleged affronts from the president - Smiley for Obama's not showing up at the now defunct State of Black America gathering in 2008, and West because the president did not provide a personal "thank you" for support during the 2008 campaign.

During the Aug. 6 Chicago meet, Smiley drew applause from the crowd when demanding, "Say the word 'poor,' Mr. President. We want to hear you say it!"

Writing at the Thegrio.com Zerlina Maxwell pointed out that a brief review of the president's recent speeches shows Smiley's claim is groundless. Maxwell wrote, "Smiley and West seem to have missed President Obama's prepared remarks on July 25th in the middle of the debt ceiling debate to the National Council of La Raza where he said, 'Not only is it not fair if all of this is done on the backs of middle-class families and poor families, it doesn't make sense. It may sound good to save a lot of money over the next five years, but not if we sacrifice our future for the next 50.'"

The anti-poverty tour is taking place at the same as the Congressional Black Caucus is holding jobs fairs and public hearings across the country dedicated to addressing the very problems highlighted by West and Smiley. Over 7,000 participated in Monday's Cleveland "For the People Jobs Initiative" event.

The same day, Smiley and West were speaking with homeless veterans in Akron, Ohio, before going on the following day to Kent State University, just 45 minutes away.

President Obama is planning his own Midwest bus tour the week of August 15, where he plans to focus on jobs. The president has "promised to make job-creating measures his top priority when Congress returns from vacation - including pending trade deals, extending payroll tax cuts and overhauling patent laws," says the Associated Press.

Labor and civil rights groups, and even sections of the business community, however, have been urging the president to fight for public works jobs, extending unemployment benefits, and an infrastructure bank.

President Obama on the other hand has since the State of the Union address signalled the deficit as a priority, an unfortunate concession, some say, to the right.

The AFL-CIO plans to launch a petition drive seeking 800,000 signatures demanding jobs and other measures to address the economic crisis.

By comparison the West and Smiley poverty tour, while highlighting critical issues, seems not to provide those affected with tools to advance their demands.

Recent polls show President Obama with overwhelming support among African Americans with some 87 percent voicing approval.

The next stop on the West-Smiley poverty tour is a town hall in Memphis today.

Coon & Coon II. So they're on a bus tour kicking up dust? Those 2 released slaves must be getting paid b/c I can't find any other reason and results behind their chitlin tour. I wonder if they have those two white chicks or Romney on the bus? I mean, what's their purpose b/c they sure ain't creating jobs. So they must be driving Mr or Mrs daisy to the White House.

A year ago I may have disagreed completely with your comment Carey. I will never agree with the idea of calling West & Tavis "Coons" because they are doing something you disagree with.

Last December I even touted Tavis' achievements blogging about it last December. Today I too am a little unsure what Tavis and West are attempting to accomplish. I assume they are being paid to speak, will sell a lot of books, promote their radio programs and other platforms, do some damage control for their respective images and have good time hanging out with each other while strongly criticizing the country’s first Black president.

All of this begs the question what are those two really trying to accomplish?

Now I've read what they said the the tour will be about, but it just does not reasonate with me. Something is just not adding up. I can't provide proof it is just my intuition.

Xeon I assume you did not write this piece (you should at site the source -- even if you have permission to repost). The article is clearly biased, but is no different than the rest of the stuff that gets passed off as journalism today.

Nothing propels me into Obama's corner more than criticism by racist, conservative white people or - self-serving black detractors. I no sooner finished wincing over the President's inappropriate behavior as he reluctantly offered congratulations to Green Bay Packers during the traditional white house visit earned by Super Bowl champs who undoubtedly hope to receive dignified non partisan congratulations from their commander and chief, as opposed to the petulance of the sore losing Chicago Bear fan Obama showed himself to be, - then along comes the dog and pony show comprised of Smiley and West edging me back to Obama's side. Like a stand-up comedy team, these 2 jack-offs go into their glib spiel showcasing their skills at articulating specious arguments in an attempt to expose Obama's vulnerabilites. Jesse Jackson must be proud. But, talk is cheap and, in this case, counter-productive.

In spite of Cornel and Tavis making a great show of their past loyalty to Obama, it's clear that these 2 ego-trippin black men have always been secretly jealous of the brotha who became priesident because they both feel this was a position they were just as capable of being incapable at as Obama.

This country is so screwed up nobody is going to be able to fix it. It will just end up unraveling and undergoing a make-over, wherein the United States will be history. Babylon. Rome. America. -_-

• Like 1

"Jack-offs" ,"Coons", my, my what harsh words for two Brothers simply trying to bring attention to the suffering of the poor at the hands of the "plutocrats and oligarchs".

Seriously, maybe I need to re-think Tom Joyner's assertion that Tavis' issue with Obama is "personal". I don't think Smiley and West are jealous of Obama's presidency. Maybe they are upset at the lack of access and even more pertubed that Al Sharpton is Obama's go to guy regarding the Black community.

At any, rate I don't know enough about what S&W are actually doing on the poverty tour to be too critical of it. I have to believe there is a better way for S&W to get their point across to Obama than the approach they have taken.

More importantly this dysfunctional political system is really a reflection of a culture in rapid decline. Obama is merely a symptom of the problem not THE problem or even the cause.

"...Babylon. Rome. America..." is right.

Here are some comments from my Facebook page (names changed):

RJ

I posted this as a status the other day...

Looking at Tavis & Cornell on their "Poverty Tour" bus I'm wondering if their clout could be put to better use if they lobbied corporations for internships/training and community endowments, and worked with non-profits to drum up private funding instead of going town to town to sympathize with people that are unable to help themselves. Maybe its a precursor to the 2 of them running for a political office.

8 hours ago · Like · 2 people.

QAC

I think they should have been out there touring during the last President's 8 years in office!!!

8 hours ago · Like · 3 people.

YB

www.barackobama.com (Are you in? ) Obama for America

Barackobama.com

is the official re-election campaign website of President Barack Obama. Visit the site for the latest updates from the Obama campaign, 2012 election news, campaign videos, local events, and ways to volunteer and donate.

8 hours ago

JS

I was just talking to a friend about this kind of thing. Crabs in a barrel.

8 hours ago · Like · 1 person.

GH

I'm just not sure what they hope to accomplish? It's great to shed some much needed light on this countries poverty issue, however, I have heard nothing about any solution. Neither Tavis nor Cornel are making any moves towards eradicating poverty, all I hear are their rants and put downs towards our President, this behavior is not condusive in solving the problems of the American citizens and their behavior only solidifies the assumptions of white america that black folks cannot unite, that all we can do is drag each other down! Crabs in a barrel mentality is real!

7 hours ago

MM

I read the transcript. Travis has never gotten over being slighted by the then candidate, Obama. Obama refused his invite to appear on his talk show. Michele was ready to take his place but she was turned down by Travis. And West is a follower. Whatever Travis says, West dots his "i" and crosses his "'t" Bravo, Holly Green.

3 hours ago

Troy Johnson ‎

:-) I was attempting to get folks would visit AALBC.com and comment there. I should have been more explicit. That said, my thoughts re Smiley and West have soured as a result of the poverty tour: http://aalbc.it/rqqATD

2 hours ago

PM

Travis and West have their issues. You can shoot the messenger but the message is still valid. I am a Obama fan but you cannot deny that he has been timid as concerning a jobs program that can be seen as helping the poor (minorities). Obama's timidness to outlay a definite plan to put people back to work in a bold way like Franklin Delano Roosevelt has led to the Republicans to be able to change a job creating message to a debt and tax message. I hope he still has time to change the debate.

about an hour ago · Like.

Troy Johnson

I see two issues here;

1. What is the real motivation behind Smiley and West’s (S&W) harsh critique of President Obama -- is it mean spirited or sincere attempt to remedy a bad situation? i.e. Are S&W good or bad
  2. Has President Obama been an effective leader, living up to his campaign promises? i.e. Is Obama good or bad

There are only 4 possible situations (S&W Bad, Obama Good, or S&W Bad, Obama Bad, etc, etc). At the end of the day, none of it really matters.

Smiley and West will have negligible marginal impact on Obama's chance to win a 2nd term. Obama's chances will really be determined by the narrative his team comes up with to get people to come to the poles and vote for him. If the midterm elections are any indication, Obama has a tough road ahead of him. His story of hope and change will not resonate the same way it did when Dubya was in office.

I say “narrative” because I have little confidence that Obama (any person) will take any “actions”, that will benefit anyone but the Plutocrats and Oligarchs (to borrow West’s phrase).

3 minutes ago

President Obama is facing a merciless gauntlet of criticism and smearing every day by a bellicose cabal of Tea Baggers and virulent white conservatives. Some of their lies and distortions have reached a fever pitch and there is no letting up of the pressure on this man. I don't mind honest and accurate criticism, but the majority of the venomous hyperbole, exaggerations and outright lies, is being orchestrated to undermine his (Obama) character and ability to govern in the minds of the general public -both black and non-black. I've seen Bachmann, Perry, Romney, Hannity, republican congressman, conservative political pundits, FOX news, et al, tell one lie after another, distortions and exaggerations after about President Obama's policies and his character. It's sickening. . No president has received the number of death threats, disrespect, distortions of facts and virulent accusations from the moment he moved into the White House, than this man.

Now you have two litigious Negroes riding around the country throwing kerosene into the fire. Smiley has been a hater from day one. And now West has joined in. Although I am not a fan of Al Sharpton, I must give him respect for aggressively standing up to and heatedly addressing the rancorous nonsense that Smiley and West are spewing. I'm sure most of you have heard the radio clip of Sharpton vs. Smiley and have seen the disgraceful public cock fighting between Sharpton and West on the MSNBC Ed Schultz show, entitled "The Black Agenda". Both of these embittered nescient Negroes (West and Smiley) need to take a course in civics/American government and do some research on American fiscal policies and the financial market history of the past 30 years. By doing so, they might reverse running their mouths and making President Obama a scapegoat goat as the people they say they oppose (white conservatives and pro-business-free market capitalists).

Carey, I have refrained from calling West and Smiley coons, but I understand your sentiments……

"Jack-offs" ,"Coons", my, my what harsh words for two Brothers simply trying to bring attention to the suffering of the poor at the hands of the "plutocrats and oligarchs".

Troy, the words (even though I chose not to use them) that Carey and Cynique used are not that harsh….IMO. As I have stated numerous times, I have no problems with fair and factual criticism. But President Obama is facing an ongoing blitzkrieg by ignorant Tea Baggers, white conservatives and a contingency of eristic Negroes (enter Tavis Smiley, Cornel West, Ron Christie, et al….). The plight of the unemployed and poor is a national issue that deserves attention. No doubt. But attempting to poison the well with dissonant rhetoric against President Obama is unwarranted and misleading. As I said previously, no president has faced the number of personal attacks, distortions, revision of the facts, exaggerations and racist taunts than this man. I remember President Obama had not been in office 9 months and the crazies were already screaming, "We want our country back.." and the Secret Service reported the number of death threats was unprecedented! WTF??

I have no issue with Smiley and West calling attention to the level of unemployment and the increase of poverty in this country. But attempting to make President Obama appear to be a bystander, standing silently in a corner and then walking away while witnessing the rape of a 5 year old, is ridiculous. And what is more infuriating is the level of indefensible ignorance demonstrated by these two acerbic Negroes to the cold facts: Congress controls the money and writes the checks for any and all legislation and project funding -not the president!!!!! I have written in detail about this before. If congress is not onboard with a presidential proposal, it is a dead issue! President Obama is not a dictator nor king who can make things happen by simply saying -make it happen. He currently faces a rabid House of Representatives who are determined to reject and undermine anything he does.

Don't forget, Mitch McConnell (Senate Minority Leader) has already stated their goal is "to make President Obama a one term president". Congressional gridlock, rejection and a vicious right wing propaganda machine are their tools for success. With a frenzied cut, cap and cut, cap some more while protecting the wealthy and tax scamming corporations, what makes West and Smiley think they stand a chance of getting legislation to assist black Americans who are poor and unemployed?

Xeon as always you are come across reasoned, thoughtful, smart and passionate. We don't always agree on points but we agree in the spirit of honest debate. Thanks for your contributions to the conversations.

Not that that is out the way; you mentioned that "...no president has faced the number of personal attacks, distortions..." As if to imply that Obama is unique. This is in and of itself is an exaggeration. When Black people were lambasting Bush II, do you think they were more sensitive? More importantly you talk about Obama being threatened as if this is a big deal. ALL presidents are threatened -- this goes with the job. Regan was shot, other presidents where assassinated!

Here is the thing Obama is under no threat of assassination because he is not pissing off the rich and powerful enough to warrant the action -- indeed they have an incentive to keep him in place.

I have to say I really do not like the word "coon" and I shouldn't have used it. I hear it so much in reference to Tyler Perry and his films and I've never liked it. For one, the word "coon" was first introduced by racist white people, and now, misguidedly, we are using the word to describe one of our own. And really, I don’t know what the word means. Really, WTH is a coon and coonery?

re: The election and the issues. I believe some Troy said it best...

"Obama's chances will really be determined by the narrative his team comes up with to get people to come to the poles and vote for him”

That’s where I’m at. The job issue is a (smoke screen) as was the debt ceiling debacle. In reality, those issues were only being used as a stick to beat Obama with. They, the politicians had absolutely nothing to lose. And please, jobs? How does a president really create jobs for those who are not working? Granted, there are many opinions, but in reality, short of something on the order of Work Projects Administration; WPA, the rich get richer and there’s little ways to stop that, so the work force will continue to decrease. It’s one big game.

But all goodbye is not gone, imo. Obama is the best orator in the last 50 years or more, and he knows what he’s up against... been there and done that. It’s a war of word with one battle (issues) that will always be real and relevant... racism and bigotry. That’s the biggest elephant in this race and don’t let anyone convince you differently. Obama is getting ready and WILL win with words b/c he has his thumb on human emotions, and his opponents have showed their hold cards.

Carey, "It's one big game" - and on so many levels.

I do not think Obama's month will carry him as far as it did to get him elected. People will now include his actions as part of the equation for the next presidential election -- something I don't think many people did the first time around. The hall that “Hope” and “Yes we can” stuff will fall flat – especially to the working class.

Maxine Waters really summed it up regarding Obama; "We're supportive of the president, but we're getting tired." Check out this video.

Whether we like it or not many people voted for Obama because he was Black. There will be much less urgency for people to do the same for the next election.

Obama’s biggest advantage is that he is a sitting president and the opposition have not asserted a strong candidate.

Obama will have a very tough time getting re-elected and the reason will not be Smiley and West.

"Obama’s biggest advantage is that he is a sitting president and the opposition have not asserted a strong candidate"

Well Troy, there it is. When I think of politics and the "working class" (whomever they are?) I believe most of them are woefully ill-informed and consequently are moved emotionally as opposed to relying on their critical thinking skills. Words are very powerful, and those that move us the most, and hit the right receptors, are the ones that leave the most lasting impressions which leads to our actions. To that point I think about those that go to church and hear a great moving message. Regardless of the facts(truth or not) in said message, the person is physically and emotionally moved, which propells them to engraciate the theme of the speaker, and the speaker. Music has the same qualities to attract a person regardless of the lyrics.

On a side note, if the deciding factors to Obama's re-election depends of the job issue, a right-minded working class citizen surely wouldn't chose a money grabbing republican to lead the way to the promise land. It's been shown in every state that has republican law-makers and governors, that they care little or nothing about the average middle-class worker and their jobs. Be he a fireman, police officer, school teacher, government employee, etc., Republican are not the ones to run to if jobs are the issue. One leadng republican proposed to eliminate the minimum wage reguirements. That "MIGHT" crate more jobs but for who, and what can the "working class" do with 200 dollars a week?

Your assertion that Obama's mouth may not carry him as far as it did to get him elected may have "some" merit, but again, based on the parameters of this election and the cast of characters of his opposition, I still believe he has the best hand.

And really, on a light, yet serious note, he is one of the slickest brothas I know. Seriously, he doesn't show his hold card when people are yelling and panicking and acting a damn fool. Oh no, I'm telling you, ol'boy has been playing for the long haul, he knew this was an 8 year battle, so why make his moves too soon? When the time is just right, he will say all the right words. And when it's all said and done, he will break-out on post election night with James Brown's songs "It's The Big Pay Back" ... "Say it loud, I am Black And Proud", how y'all like me now? Then he will not give a damn what the red necks, tea party, racists, republicans, nor black prognosticators have to say.

CBC!? OH YEAH?

Rep. Barbara Lee, Chairman of The Congressional Black Congress: This Letter’s For YOU!

Dear Rep. Barbara Lee, Chair of the Congressional Black Caucus, Can We Talk?

By Joan Ruaiz, on August 18th, 2011

As a constituent who resides in your district, I just want to weigh in on the hatred and political divisiveness that I hear and read about on the news and on the Internet. There are forces working very hard at making sure that President Obama is defeated in 2012. In fact, I wouldn’t be surprised if they took an oath or signed a pledge to that effect.

The newest political strategy is to turn the African-American community against the first black president. The idea is to get black folks to scream at the President and to threaten to withhold our support come November 2012. Due to the very high unemployment rate in the black community, this could be an easy sell. The well-paid professional propagandists don’t ask African-Americans to lay the blame for the lack of employment at the feet of the business world (which is hoarding up a couple of trillions in their rainy-day fund), or to consider the fact that governors everywhere are cutting down on the public sector workforce (comprised of large numbers of black Americans per capita), or to holler at the Republican-dominated House, which has blocked most of the job-creating programs introduced by Democrats. Instead, they want us to aim our fire solely at our President and to blame him for 30 years of white men’s policies.

Now, I have already informed myself on what this President has done to help the American population in general, and African-Americans in particular.

Considering 2.7 years as the current timetable of his accomplishments, I would note that President Obama has reformed the health care system, which will provide subsidies for lower-income individuals who may not currently be covered (many who are AA), and also provides funding for badly needed community clinics, while doing away with pre-existing condition restrictions such as diabetes, high blood pressure, and coronary heart disease, all ailments suffered in alarming rates by members of the black community.

In addition, women will soon get birth control free of charge if insured, which means that women who were previously going to Planned Parenthood – because, even with insurance, they couldn’t afford the price of contraceptives – won’t need to anymore. This leaves women who are uninsured more resources to get birth control via Planned Parenthood. Plus, the stimulus saved the biggest health care provider to the black community, the various state Medicaid programs. As well, the President closed the Medicare donut hole in prescription drugs, reduced seniors’ prescription prices by 50% through the use of generic drugs, and sent $250 payments to seniors to make up to the lack of a COLA increase for two years now.

Further, the President literally, by his lonesome, saved the auto industry (while being criticized for it all the while), and in so doing saved many jobs held by African-Americans in the Midwest. No less, the Cash for Clunkers program provided needed cash to those with clunkers permanently parked or about to stop running.

Benefiting young people who are attempting to afford rising college tuition, President Obama increased Pell grants, supported funding community colleges at unprecedented levels, and reformed the private student loan programs to eliminate the middleman, thereby reducing loan interest rates. He also revamped the actual repayment of loan programs, reducing them to not more than 10% of income, while providing incentives to those who would choose community service careers. His credit card reform bill stopped the predatory practice of credit card companies gifting young people with the ability to ruin their credit at an early age (something that hits our community harder than most). He is also cracking down on for-profit educational enterprises, some of which charge outrageous fees for inferior post-secondary education. These same young people are now able to stay insured under their parents’ health insurance until the age of 26, whether they are enrolled in school part-time, full-time or not at all.

For the younger children, President Obama is responsible for signing a bill insuring healthier meals are served in our nation’s public schools, thereby addressing the issue of childhood obesity, a subject that affects more children in the African-American community than in others. Michelle Obama’s “Let’s Move” campaign is also addressing this serious issue. And we shouldn’t forget that early in his term, President Obama provided healthcare to 11 million additional children via the CHIP program previously vetoed by President Bush.

As states cut funding for public education, President Obama recently allowed waivers to states to do away with strict requirements set by No Child Left Behind, requirements which would have marked many of the public schools in low-income neighborhoods for closure. He has also invested in the development and replication of successful charter school programs, again focusing on low-income communities, while rewarding teachers who plan to teach in such areas.

President Obama has assisted all Americans, which includes African-American workers, by providing a payroll tax reduction (beneficial to workers who may or may not pay income tax), extended unemployment benefits, kept income tax low for the working class, and signed financial reform into law (which benefits our community largely because minorities were especially hard hit by the subprime mortgage crisis). There is also the up and coming Consumer Financial Protection Bureau, which promises to be on the side of consumers, and we as black people are certainly that!

I cannot forget that the first black president increased military pay and improved veterans’ health care, is drawing down troops in Iraq, and has set a timeline for our departure from Afghanistan.

Lastly, President Obama instituted reform of crack cocaine sentencing, and the deadly killer, the tobacco industry. And – lo and behold – black farmers were recently finally awarded their long awaited settlement!

I may have forgotten a few other accomplishments that have been of assistance to the black community, but this letter is getting rather lengthy.

Now, that is not to say there is not much more to do, because of course there certainly is, and another four years would be a good start. But no president has ever been perfect, and this one should not be exempted from that rule. But I’m puzzled as to why some would want to believe that the majority of a particular minority group, who stood by FDR even as FDR basically cut them out of the new Social Security program as a compromise with Southern Democrats to get the bill passed, and who idolized JFK without gaining the rights that they were fighting for at the time, and who supported Bill Clinton, who gutted welfare, signed NAFTA, and then lied about having sex with “that” woman, would now be encouraged to drop their support of a black president who has done what I have listed in such a short time amidst political provocateurs and opportunists throwing rocks at him from the Left and the Right. It makes no common sense to me. In fact, it only tells me that we must insure that our community is well informed, so that we all hold steadfast, even as the most spoiled and entitled in this nation attempt to hoodwink us into believing that somehow we are worse off with this president than we have been with any other.

The Obama presidency is not about him, nor is it about black people. His presidency is about good common-sense governance for all Americans, while dealing with incredible odds and looking hateful enemies in the eye. Every day they conjure up ways to destroy this nation, just to say it happened on his watch. My bumper sticker statements are that ObamaCares, while Republicans won’t, and we shouldn’t turn our backs on him, we should cover his.

Thank you for your time and for your wonderful work, as I know that you have contributed to much of the changes I have mentioned. I support you and all that you do. I’m glad that we fighting on the same side. Stay as strong as you are, and I will do the same.

Respectfully,

Alameda County Resident and Voter

and Oakland Small Business Owner

Carey I read the letter and it is interesting. The letter completely ingores all the reasons why The Congressional Black Congress and other Black people might not be too happy right about now. That really is the bottom line.

You can't see why support for the current administration (the whole political process really) might be wavering? You can't see that even though we have a Black man in the white house that business is as usual?

Joan gives Obama an awful lot of credit for perceived positives (health care without a public option), while conveniently blaming others or ignoring all the bad shit that is going down today.

The writer is clearly a rabid Obama supporter and not one easily convinced with what it happening right before her eyes.

Look Obama was voted into office with effectively zero record and a gift of gab. This time his gift of gab will be confronted with his record.

If literarlly millions of white people loose their homes incurring the collateral damage of bad credit, embrassment, depression, stress, etc and Obama gives the companies responsible for their misery trillions of dollars. Who do you think they will blame?

It millions of white people have lost their jobs and are rapidly becoming unemployable who do you think will take the heat -- deserved or not?

Yeah the president is the president of ALL the people. The CBC, Smiley & West are the least of his problems.

Troy, if all you say be true, rabid supporter or not, the following [ I repeat] is the most relevant issue that I wanted to bring to the table. It goes back to what I've been saying.... we don't need enemies on our own team and if not Obama than who? Check this one more time because it cannot be denied nor minimized.

"The newest political strategy is to turn the African-American community against the first black president. The idea is to get black folks to scream at the President and to threaten to withhold our support come November 2012. Due to the very high unemployment rate in the black community, this could be an easy sell. The well-paid professional propagandists don’t ask African-Americans to lay the blame for the lack of employment at the feet of the business world (which is hoarding up a couple of trillions in their rainy-day fund), or to consider the fact that governors everywhere are cutting down on the public sector workforce (comprised of large numbers of black Americans per capita), or to holler at the Republican-dominated House, which has blocked most of the job-creating programs introduced by Democrats. Instead, they want us to aim our fire solely at our President and to blame him for 30 years of white men’s policies"

**looking around the room**

All that quasi-intellectual "constructive feed" and ego strokin and fence straddling that many of our black faces love to engage in, does nothing for the home team. It's the time honored tradition of divide and conquer... that's what I'm referring to. Think about it, seriously, at this point in the game what can be gained by displaying and talking about Obama's alledged errs? Play the picture to the end.

I'm not Troy, but I am an Obama critic. What you seem to be saying, Carey, is that instead of Blacks deserting the sinking ship of state that Obama is the captain of, we should go down with this ship and by doing so, we help Obama save face. This is a noble sentiment, but sentiments are for Hallmark cards. When it comes to black folks and Obama, you imply that unless they have something good to say, Blacks should not say anything at all. They should all just shut up and forego their right of free speech.

You warn us against the "divide and conquer tactic", obviously preferring the "misery loves company" alternative that is at the root of being loyal to Obama. But I think you underestimate the intelligence of Black voters, They are are no longer naive and gullible. Obama challenged us to hope. We did hope and it didn't do any good. We're entitled to bitch and vent. This doesn't mean that Blacks will be switching their loyalties to the Republican party. I predict that despite my not voting, black support will overwhelmingly take the form of voting against the hated Republicans by voting for the Democrat wimps. If Obama loses it won't be because his people abandoned him.

The realty is that American is a runaway train, and the economy which represents its engine is broken. To carrry this analogy further, such a train is on a collision course with a crash. Only then can it be salvaged and rebuilt and whoever is in office will be faced with this monumental task. Republicans are also divided and they will be at odds as to how to save their beloved country. If they get in it will be the same ol partisan dissention for a long time.

Finally, Obama and his advisors can't be entirely exonerated from being the architect of his doom. He doesn't take a definitive stances on issues and doesn't seem to realize the importance of image. He's too busy playin it cool instead of puttin on a game face, at least making us think that he's gonna kick ass rather than giving us snow jobs about compromise and being the president of all the people (except when it comes to silliness like jockin the athletic teams of his home town).

Here’s what my local ‘what’s going on in the neighborhood for Black folks to know about’ reporter, Betty Pleasant from the Los Angeles Wave, a free local newspaper has to say:

http://www.wavenewsp...-128360693.html

Here’s my take on this [DISCLAMER: I haven’t been following the political news very closely for a couple of years now. I knew how hard on this man folks were going to get and I just didn’t want to hear it. Not because I thought of him as The Great Black Hope but because I was willing to give him a chance to try without listening to the BS. I didn’t think he would succeed because we are who/what we are, a racist and classist society and the white/rich folks are not gonna let that go anytime soon. Plus, I’m just not interested in trying to understand how Washington works. The little I do know pisses me off so why stress myself. I do what I can, go to a few local meetings and vote for people who act like they want to try.] Anyway – these 2 are on their last go-round. Tavis has never been as popular as his commercials make it look and Cornel has been ineffectual for a while now. Young people aren’t listening to them or even know who they are [except for maybe Tavis and his commercials and probably not even then because they don’t watch much tv]. They both come off as a little jealous of our President including the fact that he doesn’t seem to have invited either of them to his inner advisory circle.

One more thing: yes, a big part of the reason for my support of President Obama is because he is a Black man. I’m a Black woman voting for a Black man because he is Black. Oh My! Well, why wouldn’t I? This is America. It’s what we do. Plus, he is qualified! There’s a whole lot of people voting against him because he is Black qualified or not and they come right out and say it. I’m saying it too: this Black woman is giving that Black man a chance because he is Black. I’ve given a bunch of white men that same chance and look what they’ve done with it. Why not give a Black man a chance? He certainly couldn’t do worse [well he could but he hasn’t].

Plus he’s kinda cute and I like his walk.

Bottom line: I’m Still With You Mr. President!

Crystal

Hey Cyrstal, I feely admit I voted for Barack Obama soley because he was Black. If you truly believe in the political process it really is an assinine reason to select the President, but I cast my vote for all of the reasons that you mentioned. You can read my comments from 4 1/2 years ago here: http://aalbc.it/obama2007

I even called other Black people who did not want to see a Black man in the white house "self-hating negroes". I could not understand why people would not be willing to give the first electable Brother a chance -- especially after George Bush -- how bad could Obama be in comparison?

Carey, your quote is best summarized by the following:

The newest political strategy is to turn the African-American community against the first black president
. This assumes that someone is planning the whole thing out. Carey what we are seeing is just a result of greed, and bad decisions, not some grand strategy.

I'm not Cynqiue, but she has been pretty consistent in her impressions about Obama, and I find myself agreeing more and more overtime. Over 4 years ago called Cynique and anyone unwilling to vote for Obama a self-hating negro. Today I have to aologize to Cynique and everyone else -- sorry Cynique.

Any Black person who chooses not to vote for Obama, or not to vote at all. I may not agree, but I understand.

Cyrstal I just finished reading the editorial. It sounds like Carey's arguement: It is founded on several flawed assumptions:

1. There is a grand consipiracy to make Obama look bad including paying off the Cornel West to bad mouth the President
  2. Obama shoud be supported based upon what he says he is going to do versus what he has actually done
  3. Critics of Obama are just bad people and are in not way justified for their opinions.
  4. Only Obama supported care about the poor

At the end of the day we can never truely know Pres. Obama's motivations and more than we can know Dr. West's motivations.

What we do know however is that Obama had a very difficult, perhaps impossible job and I'm not convinced he is that man for it. I also don't know who would be a better chose. This alone is Obama's saving grace regarding his reelection.

Yeah Troy, Betty did kinda take it too far. She usually does. Although I wouldn't discount the consipriacy theory but maybe not the paying them off part [?].

I agree we don't have much of a choice this time around. Who else? None of the Rep's seem to have much going for themselves thank goodness. Except for the color of their skin. The turnout for this election may be pretty low. That's a choice too and one I've made before.

Crystal

Not that that is out the way; you mentioned that "...no president has faced the number of personal attacks, distortions..." As if to imply that Obama is unique. This is in and of itself is an exaggeration. When Black people were lambasting Bush II, do you think they were more sensitive? More importantly you talk about Obama being threatened as if this is a big deal. ALL presidents are threatened -- this goes with the job. Regan was shot, other presidents where assassinated!

Ya know, I have to say in all honesty, I am somewhat taken back by your naive thinking Troy. First of all, yes all the presidents have received some kind of threat or another. But no president to date has received more death threats than President Obama. Six months into his presidency, before he had enacted or supported any controversial legislation –the Secret Service said no other president had received the number of deaths threats as President Obama. A CNN source reported that the U.S. Secret Service confirmed and told them that threats on the life of the president had risen by as much as 400 percent since his inauguration. It had gone go far beyond anything the Secret Service had seen with any other president –period! And this was two years ago!

The man had not been in office one year and already the rabid haters were bleating, “We want our country back!” WTF? Want their country back from what and to what condition? What did they really mean? And at that early juncture, what had President Obama done to merit such hatred and ferocious scorn? Simple: We don’t want a nigger in the White House making decisions about our country! End of subject…….

Here is the thing Obama is under no threat of assassination because he is not pissing off the rich and powerful enough to warrant the action -- indeed they have an incentive to keep him in place.

Wrong again. To be an object of a death threat, you don’t have to piss off the rich and Wall Street bro Troy. Reagan was as pro business and pro rich as one can expect. Yet he was shot. What about Gerald Ford? Was he a pro-working and underclass warrior who pissed off the so-called oligarchs and plutocrats Cornel West loves to accuse President Obama of being in the bed with? Was Squeaky Fromm or John Hinckley agents for the rich and powerful? I don’t think so. But they were kooks, just like the anti-Obama Tea Baggers and bellicose haters who would love to see something bad happen to the president.

But those days of getting close enough to do what others did in their success/attempts to assassinate a president (Lincoln, Garfield, McKinley, Kennedy, Ford and Reagan) are over. The Secret Service (in conjunction with other federal agencies) has made extreme advances in preparation and technology that makes it extremely difficult to hurt the president. People would be shocked to see what they do and what technology they have available to blunt an attack on the POTUS. It’s very impressive –trust me! So your assertion of not being in danger “because he is not pissing off the rich and powerful enough to warrant the action”, is totally incorrect and not supported by history……..

I simply have to say yes-yes-yes to Xeon's most resent retort (30th Aug, 9:11 am), and Troy's following really has me shaking my head. Look at this...

Cyrstal I just finished reading the editorial. It sounds like Carey's arguement: It is founded on several flawed assumptions:

1.There is a grand consipiracy to make Obama look bad including paying off the Cornel West to bad mouth the President

2.Obama shoud be supported based upon what he says he is going to do versus what he has actually done

3.Critics of Obama are just bad people and are in not way justified for their opinions.

4.Only Obama supported care about the poor

Now come on Troy, talk about being condescending and disrespecting the intelligence of black folks? Your summation reeks of someone who's intentionally trying to cloud the facts and give the apperance that all Obama's critics are well meaning good white folks, and that there's no way in hell that clusters of racist, bigots, tea-party members, Republican and lost negroes, are not clustering together in small groups and large, with the sole purpose of bring down the black man. Troy, when you post such garbage, you lose crediablity. I mean, if YOU believe any of what you said is true... excuse me but, you're a bigger fool than Chicken Little or you think we are. And she thought the sky was falling down.

Damn Troy... NO grand conspiracy? All white people, Obama's critics and republicans are good people and thus "justified" for their opinions?! WTH... JUSTIFIED?! Care about the poor? Who the hell are you talking about? C'mon man, you tanked this one. Damn Damn Damn, you could have saved us this spit in the face.

You've convinced yourself that everybody who supports Obama is intelligent, reasonable, and totally informed, Carey, when actually most of these sheep are in denial, sticking with him because their vision is clouded by blind faith.. Other supporters who are more realistic are quite aware that Obama is in over his head but feel they have no choice but to stick with him. The only notable thing Obama has had success in, is polarizing black people. All of which is why It's foolish to call anybody a "fool" who doesn't see things your way. "If not Obama, then who?" is your robotic mantra and as long as you chant this, your mind remains a blank.

The "body politic" has become a 2-headed monster, and now more than ever, freakonomics will come into play because no matter which party gets in, things will get so bad that they won't be able to get any worse, and there'll be no where to go but up. By that time, Obama will be looking for a pick-up basketball game.

...and while I'm at it, I am also compelled to pose the question that since the Secret Service has all of these new and improved sophisticated ways of detecting danger and protecting the president from it, why doesn't that prove that he is in less danger than other presidents were. Yes, there are more crackpots threatening his life but there's more of everything today than there was a few years back - and that includes unemployed people!

Love your comment Crystal...and our President's walk.

I'm new to all of this, so maybe somebody can school me: What is it that our President can do to create all these jobs people are talking about? Seems to me that a whole bunch of rich white men are sitting back in major corporations and businesses deciding they're not interested in hiring right now...just because they can. What power does Obama have to make them get up off their greed? Seems like his hands are being tied every way he turns...Or maybe things aren't that simplistic.

What are some bulleted points on things he can do right now to turn this thing around? I hear a lot of folks talking about what he's not doing, but not too many tossing around solutions.

It's not our job to come up with solutions. That's what we elected the President and our representatives to do. Irate voters, tired of the gridlock that is the result of the partisan politics practiced by inept officials, are simply doing what they have a right to do, which is to hold Obama and the Congress accountable for not providing effective leadership. That's how the process goes, and there's nothing new about it.

Barak Obama is a prime example of the old adage about “being careful what you wish for because you might get it“. His ambition was to become president of the USA and now he's literally stuck in the job, impotent and immoblized. But, apparently, the perks of the office fuel his ego trip and drive him to seek a second term. Of course, he is not the only candidate guilty of this. Politicians are a flawed, power-hungry breed.

Ok Xeon, if you want to elevate a bunch of death threats over an actual assignation we’ll have to just agree to disagree.

Xeon, all your complaining about the Obama “haters” ignores the fact that we, and a whole lot of while folks, voted that “nigger” into office. If we are all haters and racist – how in the world did he get elected?!

“…days of getting close enough to do what others did…” Xeon, if you believe that you have cornered the marketed on naïveté.

Carey. I get it now. It really is a religious argument with you. Anyone who says something negative about Obama is a racist or a fool and damned for all eternity. Nuf Said.

Dee please re-read what Cynique wrote it sounds simple but it is a profound statement. By the way even though you are new here you are doing quite well ;-)

Cynique, again I disagreed with you years ago regarding Obama. But there is nothing that you’ve written recently that I disagree with. Truth be told I completely understood your points years ago – I just did not want anyone to jeopardize the chances of the nation’s first Black president

While I supported Obama unconditionally, the 1st time it was not “blind” support; in that I KNEW I was not evaluating him on his then unquantifiable merits. I wanted a Black president. OK now that he is President I can treat him like every other one – approve when I think he is doing well and disapprove when he is doing badly.

I completely understand why Carey and Xeon feel the way they do about Obama. I was guilty of the same affliction. What we really need to do is stop worshipping Obama as if he is the 2nd coming. Our dysfunctional political system is off the rails and I pray it rights itself for our children’s sake.

Dee, you may be new here but let me tell you first and foremost, the 2 loudest voices, Cynique & Troy, are closet Obama haters. If you pay attention, there's never any balance is their "criticism", and, as I am sure you've noticed, they will never have any solutions. They're content with bitching and moaning about what Obama has alledgedly done wrong, but never what he has done right. Let them tell it, he started the wars, and fired everyone who doesn't have a job. Yeah, they act like he can force the rich to open more factories and create more jobs. Isn't that sick thinking. Business men are not tryng to look out for joe smoe. I call the both of them died and fried cynics, who sit on the couch and stroke their egos and pat each other on the back. It's an old game reserved lawn jockeys. You know the ones. They carry the light for their Mr. Charlie. They's some good ol'darkies.

They have a propensity to throw out trite phrases like “we are making the president accountable” and “everyone else is hero-worshippers", yet, in the last 3 years or so, they've never once defined how they are making him accountable, and if you asked them who they would vote for, they’d sit there like damn fools with egg on their faces. Go ahead, ask them who they would replace Obama with? I’m telling you, it’s a big damn game with them. They will burn down your house and their own house so they can sit on the middle of the fence with the hope of saying “ I told you so”. Yeah, they have no solutions and no candidate, so they are nothing more than pesky flies who are waiting for shit to drop on the ground so the can stir it up and lick it up.

Watch, they’ll come back with some ambiguous BS but no solutions. Oh, and ask them to say one good thing about Obama. Yeah, try that and watch them coil up like the toes of the wicked witch of the west when water was splashed on her ass. They will not come clean because some people are constitutionally incapable of accepting the truth. They are basically fake jakes with a voice that says nothing. Nobody listens to them anymore, they only stroke each other.

Watch, listen to them real closely. It will not be hard to hear what they are not saying. Lies and deceit have no foundations so they will always be found talking in circles in an attempt to evade or cloud the issues.

WATCH! No solutions! no balance is their supposed “constructive criticism”! No candidate to replace Obama! Nothing good to say about Obama (that would make them have constipation)! No concise and defined way in which they are making him accountable! A foolish and kiddy definition of the word herowhorshiper!

Watch, they’ll slink back up in here with that same old mess, but every closed eye is not sleep. In short, they are your garden variety of hateful, jealous and envious negros, You know the type.

• Like 1

You don't listen very well either, Carey, because I and everybody else who has any sense knows that since anarchy hasn't prevailed yet, it's not the job of the electorate to solve the nation's problems, except by voting out those who aren't getting the job done. Those in office are the only ones who can implement reform. But, as usual, you resort to attacking the messenger instead of the message, on and on and on and on and on, invoking the signature pettiness that is your MO because you can't deal with anyone who dares burst your bubble and disagree with your sorry ass.

You're an Obama suck-up and because others don't emulate your slavish groveling they are "closet haters". Wooooo. I don't hate Obama. I feel sorry for him because I"ve always kinda thought of him as a son. I voted for him because he was a black man and I wanted to participate in history. If you'd stop droning your "if not Obama, then who" whine maybe it would occur to you that the situation Obama inherited is in such bad shape that nobody can untangle the mess, so sympathy is all he really inspires. In all honesty, I would've preferred someone older and wiser and more experienced like Colin Powell.

And it's not like we who assess the situation place all the blame on Obama. His advisors, Congress, and the right wing Republican factions are just as at fault. But since the economy has gotten worse on his watch, the buck stops with the POTUS. Yet, your mind seems incapable of processing logic and you identity so closely with Obama you can 't stop wallowing in your hero worship. So you trot out all your old stale arguments that are laced with the personal attacks and name calling that set the tone for a debate with you.

And speaking of slinking back up in here with the same ol mess, I haven't gone anywhere. You're the one who showed back up, trying to portray yourself as the voice of reason and intelligence on this board. Puleeze. Get real.

• Like 1

You don't listen very well either, Carey, because I and everybody else who has any sense knows that since anarchy hasn't prevailed yet, it's not the job of the electorate to solve the nation's problems, except by voting out those who aren't getting the job done. Those in office are the only ones who can implement reform. But, as usual, you resort to attacking the messenger instead of the message, on and on and on and on and on, invoking the signature pettiness that is your MO because you can't deal with anyone who dares burst your bubble and disagree with your sorry ass.

You're an Obama suck-up and because others don't emulate your slavish groveling they are "closet haters". Wooooo. I don't hate Obama. I feel sorry for him because I"ve always kinda thought of him as a son. I voted for him because he was a black man and I wanted to participate in history. If you'd stop droning your "if not Obama, then who" whine maybe it would occur to you that the situation Obama inherited is in such bad shape that nobody can untangle the mess, so sympathy is all he really inspires. In all honesty, I would've preferred someone older and wiser and more experienced like Colin Powell.

And it's not like we who assess the situation place all the blame on Obama. His advisors, Congress, and the right wing Republican factions are just as at fault. But since the economy has gotten worse on his watch, the buck stops with the POTUS. Yet, your mind seems incapable of processing logic and you identity so closely with Obama you can 't stop wallowing in your hero worship. So you trot out all your old stale arguments that are laced with the personal attacks and name calling that set the tone for a debate with you.

And speaking of slinking back up in here with the same ol mess, I haven't gone anywhere. You're the one who showed back up, trying to portray yourself as the voice of reason and intelligence on this board. Puleeze. Get real.

I am now succesfully sobered regarding the "mess" your would-be son inherited. General Powell is certainly beloved, but are his politics what we need?

Regarding the underlined portion of your quote above, I'm unclear. Anarchy as in a political ideal, or chaos/disorder?

Also, are you saying that successfully implemented political reform will solve the "mess"?

No, "breathbooks", Colin Powell's image is what we need. We've had enough of everybody's politics. In a time of crises, people feel more reassured when their leader brings to mind a calm confident, father figure rather than a brother or a son. Image is the operative word here. The consensus is that Obama does not project strength and toughness.

Anarchy, as in "chaos and disorder" which is what ensues when the masses decide to instigate "solutions" by taking things into their own hands.

I said nothing about "political" reform per se. But any reform comes about via of the governing body enacting it.

Obviously there are Obama supporters who resent those who criticize him. Their solution to the problems seems to be for everybody to just shut up.

Carey, I'm not a closet Obama hater. I too voted for him. Just 'cause I'm not jocking him like you are does not make me a hater.

Since you seem to be so hell bend on me providing solutions. Why don't YOU provide solutions; or are you suggesting that no solutions are in order?

Better yet I'll walk you through this slowly Carey; pick a specific problem; unemplyment, the deficit, the economy, health care and give me the solution that Obama has implemented and give me your assessment on how it is working.

Ok Xeon, if you want to elevate a bunch of death threats over an actual assignation we’ll have to just agree to disagree.

Agree or disagree about the number of unprecedented death threats? Ha! Ha! Ha! That’s funny.Troy, your response is like agreeing or disagreeing that there are 50 stars in the American flag, is there snow in the Antarctic or do sharks actually have fins. There is nothing to disagree or agree about -it is what it is! It is a documented fact –not an opinion…….

Xeon, all your complaining about the Obama “haters” ignores the fact that we, and a whole lot of while folks, voted that “nigger” into office. If we are all haters and racist – how in the world did he get elected?!

Bro Troy, attempting to reduce my commentary to dissonant complaining is disingenuous and misses the point. I am stating facts –not an opinion, or, as you have suggested -complaining. As far as your statement about voting the “nigger” into office, the majority of whites voted for McCain –not Obama! Non-white votes helped tip the scales. And I never suggested that all whites hated Obama. There is a reasonable number who do (because of his politics and those who dislike him because he is black) and then there are those who voted for him but no longer support him. I never suggested that “we are all haters and racist”. I have no idea what prompted you to write such nonsense…..

I completely understand why Carey and Xeon feel the way they do about Obama. I was guilty of the same affliction. What we really need to do is stop worshipping Obama as if he is the 2nd coming.

Once again bro Troy, you have displayed extreme confusion. I do not worship Obama or anyone else. So there is no affliction (at least on my part). I simply wrote about the obstacles both calculated and deliberate and those that are unfortunate circumstances of a national and global economy that has tanked. But you either deliberately or unconsciously side stepped my question: How is Obama to implement any legislation when the House is hell bent on derailing all of his efforts? Their contentious legislative obstructionism has undermined any attempts by President Obama to make changes or address issues. Rather than looking at the facts, you have opted for the low road of personal attacks and not acknowledging the real (not imagined) barriers to successful polices and legislation. Answer the question (second time): How can Obama circumvent the House in order to address your and everyone else’s concerns? Again. I will wait for a realistic (hopefully) answer from you to my question…….

One more thing. I have to make something perfectly clear Troy. I am not an Obama worshipper or ideologue as you have suggested. You need to understand this. I am simply stating facts as to why he has been unsuccessful at addressing the concerns of the majority of Americans. It amazes me how people are blaming the economy and stagnant mass unemployment on him. It defies the facts and makes no sense. We live in a free market economy that is inextricably tied to global markets (have you been following the financial chaos in Europe and the affect it is having on the American market?). Do you listen to the daily stock exchange news? The president of the United States has no control over this. For example, I had a good friend tell me years ago, that Bush caused the housing market crash. She said he was directly responsible for it. WTF?? I was certainly not a George W. Bush fan by any means and I never voted for the man but I see no need to lie on him. I attempted to explain to her the wheels that were turning in the financial markets had nothing to do with him. But she (like you) was determined it was the presidents fault. But the reality was this: The crash of the housing market had nothing to do with the president. So, I’m calling you out Troy to explain and detail how and why the national economy and subsequent massive unemployment is President Obama’s fault.

You wail and moan about how President Obama is a disappointment, how he is a failure, how he seems to lack leadership, how he owes black people, how as a black man you voted for….blah..blah…blah…. I continually hear all these litigious Tavis Smiley style condemnations but I have yet to hear an intelligent and factual listing of what legislation or polices Obama has failed to address. You have tap danced around these questions while I have been very definitive in my responses to your questions and accusations. But again, given the rabid and hostile dominance of the House by Republicans –what do you realistically expect this man to do? Tell me why massive unemployment and failure to reduce the national debt is the result of his failed leadership. And I don’t mean to be redundant, but I have asked all the Obama detractors these same questions and not one has given a salient response. Can you? Ball in your court…….

Deep Xeon.

I have never known you to be so dense. You mentioned Obama death threats as if he was under great duress, more than any other president. However when I explained that there wre presidents that were actually shot or assissinated you tried to make it seem the threats -- even a great number of them -- was worse than an actual shooting or assassination. I'm not sure why that is so confusing. But I'll leave it alone.

Xeon you wrote:

what had President Obama done to merit such hatred and ferocious scorn? Simple: We don’t want a nigger in the White House making decisions about our country!
that combined with the rest of your diatribe would be cause enough for a reasonable person to draw the conclusion that you feel Obama's detractors are simply "haters and racist"

I'm not sure you know the meaning of the word "fact". Just because you say something or believe something does not make it a fact. Nonetheless I'll use the word and hope you understand my meaning.

Keep in mind the "nigger" statement in reference to Barack was yours not mine. When people express dissatisfaction with Obama you feel the reason is "Simple"

Simple: We don’t want a nigger in the White House making decisions about our country! End of subject…….
That is just what you think, that is not a fact. And I believe your opinion on this issue is false.

Speaking about facts; While the fact is the majority of white people did not vote for Barack, But Black people could not have gotten him into office alone. Those white people who voted for Obama, but are unhappy now, have not all of a sudden become racist. There were not enough racists and haters in the country to prevent him from becoming president -- don't you see that?

Another fact is I NEVER wrote that Obama was the cause of all of the problems our country is experiencing or facing. Indeed I don’t believe that he is. You are great a researching information on this board. Many times I've written our dysfunctional government is the cause. Obama has simply not proven himself to be the person who could change things despite his promise for change.

Finally would you and Carey please stop asking me what I would do to correct the problems? That is, and since we are not mincing words here, stupid. What would it demonstrate or prove since any idea I could image is purely hypothetical. And of course you could shoot it down without any way of proving that it would fail.

But since you pressed: I'll go from the mundane to the major. I think Obama demonstrated level of naïveté by inserting himself in the “Beergate” nonsense. I also think he should have let “too big to fail” fail -- no taxpayer financed bailout. Sure a global depression may have ensued, but if we are going to let the markets work -- then let them work. Our corrupt banking system did what was supposed to do; it failed. Perhaps a global calamity is what it would take for us to do things the right way.

Clearly, many people, are misdirecting their anger at President Obama, and sure some of those folks are racist. But most people want things to “change” for the better. They voted for Obama, despite his having an African father,, because they believed in his message.

That message does not have the same impact now. Some people believe a republican can fix things, some people believe Palin can. I seriously doubt it.

Also I know is whoever is in office will need to do things that are radically different that what we have been doing – the kind of things that would make them unable to raise enough money to run and cerainly unelectable if they talked radical change,

Our system is flawed and skewed to support the ultra powerful and rich. No Obama is not the cause he is a symptom of a very profound problem that is our political process. Obama I'm afraid has become (perhaps always was) part of the problem not the solution.

No, "breathbooks", Colin Powell's image is what we need. We've had enough of everybody's politics. In a time of crises, people feel more reassured when their leader brings to mind a calm confident, father figure rather than a brother or a son. Image is the operative word here. The consensus is that Obama does not project strength and toughness.

I may have to dust of my old copy of My American Journey. This unimpressive autobiography of General Colin Powell (CP) was not the most compelling or exciting ever written. Would CP implement the Powell Doctrine? CP has been known to compromise and negotiate with opponents. For what it is worth, CP does inspire confidence during public appearances, but the sausage making process is done primarily behind closed doors. And it is political by nature.

CP originally financially supported John McCain for President. And CP was being touted as a running mate for McCain. Shortly before the election CP changed his mind and announced his endorsement for candidate Obama. At the time, CP publicly regretted disappointing McCain. CP has offered criticisms of the President Obama. And Mrs. CP does not want 74 year old CP to ever run for president.

I said nothing about "political" reform per se. But any reform comes about via of the governing body enacting it.

IDGI?

Obviously there are Obama supporters who resent those who criticize him. Their solution to the problems seems to be for everybody to just shut up.

I resent birthers and the "I want him to fail" crowd (Limbaugh, McConnell). And I'm disappointed with the people who everyday act as if today is opposite day, that game children play. Everything the president says, oppose it, say the opposite or simply say no or disgree with it. It is Frank Luntz word doctoring in full manifestation.

Ok, breathbooks. Thanks for your input. I would just remind you again that I didn't say I would've preferred Colin Powell, himself, for president. I meant a Colin Powell-type, - someone who was older and projected an image of having wisdom and being in charge. I further maintained that a layman coming up with solutions to the country's problems would be an exercise in futility because, as the law-making branch of the government, Congress is who has to enact reform since this is what its members were elected to do.

Or did I bring up the subject of Obama's performance. This thread has gone silent for a long while before Dee got it going again after which others chimed in and had their say. Opinions were exchanged and insults hurled, and so it went. But that's what a discussion forum is all about. So be it.

• Like 1

Ok, breathbooks. Thanks for your input. I would just remind you again that I didn't say I would've preferred Colin Powell, himself, for president. I meant a Colin Powell-type, - someone who was older and projected an image of having wisdom and being in charge. I further maintained that a layman coming up with solutions to the country's problems would be an exercise in futility because, as the law-making branch of the government, Congress is who has to enact reform since this is what its members were elected to do.

Or did I bring up the subject of Obama's performance. This thread has gone silent for a long while before Dee got it going again after which others chimed in and had their say. Opinions were exchanged and insults hurled, and so it went. But that's what a discussion forum is all about. So be it.

A McCain/Powell duo may have provided some of what you would have preferred. And maybe a Hillary/? dou would have as well.

A McCain/Powell duo may have provided some of what you would have preferred. And maybe a Hillary/? dou would have as well.

Yes, in times of trouble, looking like the personification of the idea that "wisdom comes with age" can be an asset to the POTUS. IMO

• 2 weeks later...