There's no White Supremacy anymore, huh?

I remain flabbergasted by the comments of some on this forum. 

Despite the frenzied denials against all evidence, White Supremacy continues to exist. In fact, there are millions of Whites who would just love to return to the days when they could actually own, whip, rape or kill a person with impunity.

These are times when their desires were quickly met, their complaints always rectified and their violent rages repeatedly excused.

Ah, but don't take it from me. Read an opinion piece in The Black Wall Street Times written by its esteemed founder and editor-in-chief, Nehemiah D. Frank.

He's simply highlighting yet more proof that racist Whites are ramping up their siege of us. Our history means nothing to White Supremacists.

Mississippi Governor rejects inclusion, dives back into the Confederacy

• Like 2

Oh, lawdy, lawd, LAWD!

Some of these White Evangelical Christians are such a touchy lot. 

They are quick to get angry and fulminate at someone - which you know, is not what the Good Book wants folks to do. 

They explode even faster if the object of their ire is Black, a Woman and a Muslim.

Obama is not a woman. But he sure is Black. But for years, Obama was dragged through the mud because Evangelical Christians, (and those politicians who benefit from their hefty donations), considered him a card carrying Islamist. 

I actually had no idea that Islamists carried cards. Prayer rugs, for sure. But not cards

Minnesota Rep. Ilhan Omar ticks off White folks again

• Like 1

Yep.  It's unbelievable and sad that there are white supremacy proponents and sympathizers among black folks.

Then again, race traitors have always existed among us. Brother Nat Turner didn't get very far with his plan because he was sold out by a black man.

If there was going to be a black revolution, clowns like Larry Elder and Vernon Jones are among the 1st black folks who would be subjected to the drop squad.

The governor of MS is an idiot in chief who should have been cancelled.  Same goes for the clown running around down in FL.   

Yet, it would be meaningless to take down any of the folks I mentioned above because there are millions of people who think just like them. 😎

• Like 2

Well, here's more proof that White Supremacy is alive and well and that White hoods and nooses are no longer required. 

Florida Governor Ron DeSantis, hoping to ride of a rising wave of hate towards Black people, just banned 41% of new Math books for his state's schools alleging they contain Critical Race Theory.

The number comes out to 54 of 132 publications. submitted for review, according to Stacy M. Brown, senior writer for the woman-owned Washington Informer, a D.C.-based weekly that publishes content on Black issues and news. 

Some Florida Democrats voiced their opposition to the move on Twitter, said National Public Radio. "@EducationFL just announced they're banning dozens of math textbooks they claim 'indoctrinate' students with CRT," said State House Rep. Carlos Smith. "They won't tell us what they are or what they say b/c it's a lie. #DeSantis has turned our classrooms into political battlefields and this is just the beginning."

I don't make up stuff, so, here's a clickable link: ( https://www.npr.org/2022/04/18/1093277449/florida-mathematics-textbooks )

Stacy M. Brown is also senior national correspondent for the Black Press of America, a trade group representing 200 Black  newspapers.

Florida bans 41% of new Math books over alleged CRT 

1 hour ago, Stefan said:

Florida Governor Ron DeSantis, hoping to ride of a rising wave of hate towards Black people, just banned 41% of new Math books for his state's schools alleging they contain Critical Race Theory.

Totally ridiculous.  No way in h8ll does a math book promote CRT. 

Yet, there is no public outcry and/or protest over this book ban.  Why not? 

Unfortunately, the masses have been anesthetized with trinkets through consumerism that they do not  "care enough" about these issues. 😎

• Like 1

@Stefan It all boils down to a simple question. 

Is the Black Individual free to do as they want in the USA today? For many black people, I don't think most but I can be rong,  in the usa the answer is yes. I say this with offline conversations in mind side other Black folk in the usa. Sequentially, if you are Black in the usa and you feel the Black Individual is free to be in the usa, then you may view the power of the White collective is between nonexistent/mute/irrelevant. 

White power is not an individual force. It is collective, and thus the only way Black people can defend themselves from it is with Black power. but Black power requires a Black communalism/collectivism that by default is against how many Black people in the USA interpret being an individual in the USA. 

1 hour ago, richardmurray said:

Sequentially, if you are Black in the usa and you feel the Black Individual is free to be in the usa, then you may view the power of the White collective is between nonexistent/mute/irrelevant. 

White power is not an individual force. It is collective, and thus the only way Black people can defend themselves from it is with Black power. but Black power requires a Black communalism/collectivism that by default is against how many Black people in the USA interpret being an individual in the USA. 

IMO, black power (unity, communalism, collectivism, etc.)  in the US was essentially neutered with the assassination of Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. over 50 years ago.

The desire for black power was replaced with affirmative action and the illusion of inclusion. 

Individual achievement and accomplishment and consumerism have become the opiates that allow black folks to feel free.  😎

• Like 1

@richardmurray

Black people are free to do what they wish in this country, within reason.

For example, you can book a cruise, fly to another state, buy a home, write a book, become a parent, rent a car, change your religion, become a teacher, open a store, run for office or sit in a park. I have no idea why you questioned this.

What matters is do you have the funds, the permits, the education, the credentials, a place to raise a child, good policy ideas and patience? There are limitations to every move, every hope and every plan and not all are based on skin hue.

Some are based on lawful restrictions such as having a valid license to drive and proper insurance or approval to be in or someone's property.

For example, I became a professional portrait photographer, but had to file a different type of tax return. I also had to adhere to lawful restrictions. I could photograph anyone in public because they did not have an expectation of privacy.

You may think this is trite or ridiculous. But it could save me from folks who might have inadvertently stumbled  into my background and became angry their image was snapped.

But I could not photograph anyone through their windows, landscaping, or step onto their patio or porches to do so BECAUSE that could result in a civil or even a criminal violation of their expectation of privacy.

I rarely had a problem because so many people grinned and actually jumped into the backgrounds and later asked me for a copies, which I was happy to email them. I am talking about events such as ComicCons, RenFaires, warehouse and studio model shoots and parties.

But since of most of my work entailed shooting Baby Showers, private weddings, police retirement parties, and Children's parties at McDonald's, Chuck E Cheeses or at charity events, it was best to know the law. Cops love bars.

But that is not the point of this thread. The premise is that White Supremacy has not gone away. And I am offering proof.

And by the way, sequentially means in consecutive or chronological order.

"Confederate Heritage Month" wow!  I can't imagine this passing - especially in a state with a Black population approaching 40%.  But I've stopped underestimated our collective ignorance.

@StefanI can see why @richardmurray was not too anxious to proclaim that Black people are "free" in this country.  To be sure we enjoy more freedoms than we did 100 years ago, but are we completely free here?  I'm not so sure.

I know you are familiar with gerrymandering which has diminished the impact of our vote, so while we can vote, our vote is not equal to that of a white person's.

I know you understand what redlining is and how that systematically prevented Black people from buying real-estate.  The impact if this continues to this day in terms of lost generational wealth that give white families a substantial benefit over Black ones.

Obviously the hyper-incarceration and policing of Black people has created an unimaginable toll on Black people.  Sure we can buy a car and drive down the street, but we are far more likely to be pulled over, arrested, and even killed than a white people is.  I can't even tell you how many times I've been pulled over by the police.  This stands in stark contrast to the number of white women I've spoken with who have NEVER been pulled over -- or get off with a warning for the same infraction.

I can create a website, but white-owned companies monopolize search and marginalize Black-owned websites in favor of white-owned sites in search results. as a result, Black website's value is stripped away. what is the value of that freedom?

I could do this all day... and so could you.

I many ways our freedom is a farce.  Oprah, Obama and others are the exception not the rule.  The fight for freedom is a constant battle.  Otherwise we end up with Confederate Heritage Month.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Troy said:

"Confederate Heritage Month" wow!  I can't imagine this passing - especially in a state with a Black population approaching 40%.  But I've stopped underestimated our collective ignorance.

Ignorance would suggest that we're either unaware or don't know any better.  Yet, we live in a 24/7/365 media cycle.  This crap is happening right before our eyes and within our hearing but we do nothing about it.

I contend that our collective indifference allows these folks to get away with everything from killing black folks to changing laws that adversely affect us.   

That's why they are comfortable with re-enacting the Civil War, celebrating the confederacy and other vestiges of slavery. But, Critical Race Theory gives them heartburn. 😎

11 hours ago, ProfD said:

IMO, black power (unity, communalism, collectivism, etc.)  in the US was essentially neutered with the assassination of Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. over 50 years ago.

The desire for black power was replaced with affirmative action and the illusion of inclusion. 

Individual achievement and accomplishment and consumerism have become the opiates that allow black folks to feel free.  😎

If you are using MLK, there was never any black unity to begin with.

30 minutes ago, Dr Francis Welsin said:

If you are using MLK, there was never any black unity to begin with.

The  assassinations of Medgar Evers, Malcolm X, Fred Hampton and COINTELPRO dismantling the Black Panther Party chipped away at it.

The assassination of Dr. MLK Jr was the proverbial nail in the coffin and final blow. 

Regardless of how one feels about Dr. MLK Jr.s methods, motives or political stance, black folks have not had a leading voice in 50 years.😎

Troy,

Yes, I am well aware of gerrymandering. I've been politically astute since I heard the name John V. Lindsay, who was denounced as a Liberal Republican. 

The late Mayor of New York City, who was also once a Congressman, was forced to deal with strikes by city workers, race riots and an unsympathetic police force. When Lindsay ran for President in 1972, he became a Dem, but was considered a traitor to so-called law-abiding White folks. His White House campaign floundered. He tried for the Senate as a Dem, too, in 1980, but lost the nomination.

Gerrymandering occurs all the dang time. Florida Governor Ron DeSantis recently demanded all Republicans in Florida acquiesce to his demands that only HE could design new state voting maps. His whole aim was to dilute Black voter strength in Florida. And he's been getting away with it.

The move by Mississippi's Governor happened this month of April 2022.

I watch for this type of stuff all of the time. But you notice, only a precious FEW on here push back on it.

Malcolm X on the Oppressed.jpg

On 4/21/2022 at 3:40 PM, ProfD said:

Ignorance would suggest that we're either unaware or don't know any better.  Yet, we live in a 24/7/365 media cycle. 

Yes ignorance is the right word.  Yes, we live in a 24/7/365 news cycle, but do you truly believe our population is better informed now, in a why that best serves us, than were were for the rise of the WWW?  Most of us live in filter bubbles anyway and simply are not exposed to useful information. 

Nice meme @Stefan  Sounds like something I've said.  You sure you did not grab that quote from one of my posts 😉   The only difference , since people consume news through the filer of social media and not printed newspapers, I would swap the word "media" for "Newspapers"  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Troy said:

Yes ignorance is the right word.  Yes, we live in a 24/7/365 news cycle, but do you truly believe our population is better informed now, in a why that best serves us, than were were for the rise of the WWW?  Most of us live in filter bubbles anyway and simply are not exposed to useful information. 

Agreed.  Ignorance is the  right word because even if folks see/hear legitimate news on social media or any other outlet, they still aren't doing anything with the information. 😎

@ProfD It think black power was redefined from collective action to individual achievement when the assassination of the 1960s era black leaders, highlighted in white media by MLK jr,  was followed by the leadership of black leaders afterward. Every community has leaders at all times and those leaders lead by example. The leadership of the late 1970s to modernity Black leadership gives one constant view. Integrate as a black person in white collectives. JEsse jackson trying to massage the party of andrew jackson. Clarence thomas as a supreme court justice for the pary of abraham lincoln. The billionairedom of Oprah winfrey. Absent these people saying anything, their lives give an example of a black person profiting away from the black community, not from within it. Fannie lou hamer rejected either party. but she was 1960s era. Black leaders exist today but they are telling black people to do for themselves, miscegenate into the white community. 

@Stefan if you could stomach reading my post you replied to , or figured how to decipher its language which may be to your extreme distaste, literally, you would had known I said what you said. I didn't offer the question to you, i stated the question as the issue. Your explanations to black individual freedom was not necessary based on how I comprehended my position. ... most don't push back because they need a collective apparatus to push back on. I think many black people want to do, but they know they can't do it alone and to be blunt, black people who have financial wealth or black people in government have to be a part. and  said black people are not interested. 

@Troy thank you, the problem is the difference between individual freedom next to collective freedom.  As I Said

if you are Black in the usa and you feel the Black Individual is free to be in the usa, then you may view the power of the White collective is between nonexistent/mute/irrelevant. 

I said may, not definitively. But that is the problem, that many black people miss. Black leaders do exists, barrack obama, oprah winfrey, clarence thomas, black athletes. but all these people represent a black person as an individual entering a white space or coveting a white space, white space defined as a population class that whites only had before, like the presidency,  or one that is controlled by whites, like sport sponsorships.  And, never with majority black support. When we ask black children do they want to be president, we all know fully well, being president of the usa is not based on the black vote. When we talk about anyone in big money media, we forget 99 percent of the producers are white so they have to be catered.  The Black exceptions to the rule is the goal, the goal that the young WEB DUbois pontificated, that the elder dubois hated. When we talk in black history about talented tenth/HBCU sororities or fraterniites/the black millionaire class or billionaire class, we are talking about a set of black people who as individuals have found personal success, but the black community hasn't. You know this as you said brilliantly and I thank you for your honesty , again. I know this. Stefan , profd, and all others in this post know this. And the problem is, the white power itself didn't come from white individuals. 

When whites in the lands that became the usa killed who indigenous peoples, enslaved many black people unconcerned for the many more dead in the ocean, that was white collective freedom. But it was through negativities. White people in the usa didn't take power from white people in europe through individual freedom. It wasn't meriting through europe's systems. So, history shows the way. 

@Dr Francis Welsin I wasn't at the million man march, i was a kid. but many male relatives were there. they all said one thing was clear. Black men were united at that event for one thing, looking for guidance. looking for a plan. Black unity has existed in these lands since the first black people of africa was forced out the boats. The unity isn't the problem. the problem is the planning. as Stefan says often, as we all know. The problem isn't that most black people on the boat don't have unity, but we don't have a plan. we are all chained, and we are all in the boat hold. Thus, how do we take over the boat? 

The problem is the planning by black leaders in the black community in the usa , for better or for worse, has not been good/efficient/results driven for the collective. 

To get back to the thread:

More evidence of underserved viciousness directed against Black people in the United States. This time, against an autistic Black teenager at a Clifton Park. N.Y., Target department store.

It is unconscionable what is being done to Black people in this country. But it is nothing compared with what may occur once Trump is back in the White House or Ron DeSantis becomes POTUS.

Police mishandle autistic Black boy in upstate New York store

On 4/23/2022 at 3:08 AM, Stefan said:

No, those are Malcolm's own words.  And they're coming true today.

"Coming true? Man those words were true before the words were uttered and are true now.  The issue to me is why, despite all our technology, this remains the case. 

I know the profit motive is the reason Malcolm's words are true.  It is just unfortunate that we, collectively, marginalize anyone who tries to do something about. but again if you go back to Malcolm's quote you understand why...

10 hours ago, richardmurray said:

Black leaders exist today but they are telling black people to do for themselves, miscegenate into the white community. 

As discussed, this only serves the individual not the Black community.  I would how much wealth the richest Black Americans hold as a percentage of total Black wealth.  My guess is that the Black American 1% hold a great deal more wealth of the Black community than the white American 1% holds of the white community. 

10 hours ago, richardmurray said:

I wasn't at the million man march, i was a kid..

I was old enough to have attended, but had no interest in doing so, because I was also old enough to know it was a show -- all about the optics.  By that point in my life I was already about supporting Black owned businesses, entrepreneurship, etc and would have embraced any strategies that came out of the MMM to benefit Black people.  I don't recall any...

8 hours ago, Stefan said:

It is unconscionable what is being done to Black people in this country. But it is nothing compared with what may occur once Trump is back in the White House or Ron DeSantis becomes POTUS.

Back to the subject to the thread...

@Stefan, despite the anecdotes you've shared to you believe white racism is on the rise in America?  I do believe it exists, but it is on the decline, in terms of white people who actually hold and act upon white racist views. 

People in my children's generation are far less racist than the ones in my parents generation.  Any young person who holds racist attitudes today are profoundly misinformed and/or stupid; neither is an insurmountable hurdle. 

Of course we also have to deal with the people who structural racism has, and continues to benefit.  These people are much harder to deal with as we are now talking about messing with their money. Whether they are a Black race hustler or a white capitalist profiting from predatory loans, the prison industrial complex, the the gig economy, social media, etc. These people need racism to persist in order to continue making money and have no incentive to see things change -- even if they are sophisticated enough to say otherwise

Black people can't allow either group of individuals to hold us back, and we must also realize we can not deal with them alone.  We need each other and any non-Black allies willing to help.

21 hours ago, Troy said:

Of course we also have to deal with the people who structural racism has, and continues to benefit. 

Structural i.e. systemic racism benefits whites regardless of whether or not they hold racist views. 😎

• Like 1

@Troy

I did not claim that racism is on the rise. I contended that White Supremacy still exists, despite the denials of some on here.

What actually is on the rise of the Lack of Respect for:

Human Life (increasing incidents of shootings)
Fair Play (support for discrimination and defense of hate)
Adherence to laws and rules (road rage, refusing to pay transit fares and wanton thefts from retail stores)

There will always be racism. And nation states quite willing to kill thousands of humans considered unworthy and troublesome.

Elon Musk's $44 billion takeover bid for Twitter was just approved. Musk, as you pointed out, is no fan of decency or equality. Despite attempts to link Musk to Apartheid (he was born in South Africa), from all accounts it looks like he inherited his wealth. His father, Errol Musk, was an engineer and no definitive proof has emerged that the senior Musk owned half an emerald mine in Zambia which made him a lot of money.

So under Elon Musk, we can expect Trump to be allowed back on Twitter. Since it's a private company, there is little anyone can do to stop Trump from resuming his hateful tirades against Blacks, immigrants and the disabled.

Man auto correct actually changes what you type all after you’ve moved on. My typos would be better than the corrections.

On 4/24/2022 at 6:15 PM, Troy said:

despite the anecdotes you've shared to you believe white racism is on the rise in America? 

@Stefan I meant to write  “Do you believe…” it was a question not a presumption. 

I don’t care about Twitter; what i do care about is Black people who use it to the point that there is a so-called “Black Twitter.” I wish there was a Black-owned platform(s) that we embraced with the same gusto. 

But we will continue enriching the worlds wealthiest people rather than supporting our own.

@richardmurray they wouldn’t even need to scarifce it, just continue some of it 🙂  Actually more of this is actually happening; for example there are many efforts today to support Black entrepreneurs. 

Racism will end one day. It is ending now. Racism is a relatively, short bump in the road In the evolution humanity. We just had the unfortunate experience of living through the tail end of it. It could have been worse; Imagine living in 1822 rather than 2022.

@Troy

There are millions of racist micro-aggressions which occur weekly in our country. They seem to be on the rise.

From store employees or owners treating Blacks differently than customers of other races, to nosy individuals calling the cops while some of us enter our own apartment buildings or becoming upset if we’re seated near them in a restaurant. Or they myriads of "Karens" who seek to control our movement, behavior and and recreation.

The increasing spate of vulgar language or messages on Zoom during lessons at major universities has finally caught the attention of administrators, if not some curious news reporters. But too many get tired of hearing about this crap day after day. 

Right Wing reporter Patrick Hawley whined recently about Blacks attending the Country Music Awards. I cannot imagine something so silly. But it happened. ( https://www.blackenterprise.com/white-reporter-throws-tantrum-due-to-black-turnout-at-2022-cmt-music-awards-its-not-wakanda/ )

Many of these micro-aggressions are racist, but not tabulated in FBI bias crime stats. Cops don’t always take our racism complaints seriously, while most of us don’t even bother grousing about it.

If this stuff does not happen to individuals, friends or family members, it’s easy to dismiss. Which is the main problem with those who deny reality.

I remain concerned for Brittney Griner and Cosley Green, 63, who was freed by a judge four years ago because prosecutors withheld notes leading to his conviction by an all-White jury. The man spent 32 years in prison for a crime he said he did not commit. But Florida officials appealed his release and want back him back behind bars.

3 hours ago, Stefan said:

There are millions of racist micro-aggressions which occur weekly in our country. They seem to be on the rise.

@Stefan, I dig that phrase because it rings true throughout our society. 

These people are bold too because despite everyone having a recording device (cell phone), the racist will do and say whatever they please.

Then, there's the blogs and comment sections of news articles.  No shortage of racist micro-aggresssion at every turn.

9 hours ago, Troy said:

Racism will end one day. It is ending now. Racism is a relatively, short bump in the road In the evolution humanity. We just had the unfortunate experience of living through the tail end of it. It could have been worse; Imagine living in 1822 rather than 2022.

@Troy, again, I admire your optimism in this regard but I find it hard to believe racism will end in our lifetime. 😎

On 4/26/2022 at 7:11 PM, ProfD said:

…again, I admire your optimism in this regard but I find it hard to believe racism will end in our lifetime. 😎

Oh, I can say with certainty that it will not end in our lifetime. But I do believe it will end.

On 4/26/2022 at 3:05 PM, Stefan said:

There are millions of racist micro-aggressions which occur weekly in our country. They seem to be on the rise

Maybe, maybe not, but i don’t know.

Do you think more white people are racist today than say 50 years ago?

• Like 1

White Supremacy is not just what is dished out to Black people, it also means what White people are not subjected to and what they can get away with.

Take Madison Cawthorn, for example. This wheelchair bound North Carolina Republican thinks speed limits, obeying license and registration rules and rules banning guns from restricted areas (such as airports) are merely suggestions.

No wonder he has a bevy of challengers for his 11th District seat.

I realize that no one could access this Charlotte Observer news story:

Here is the gist of it.  pretty long list of the Rep. Cawthorn's runs-ins with law and his light punishment. Think a Black man could so all of this and still walk this earth uninjured?

Cawthorn's lack of respect for the law:

TRAFFIC TICKETS

▪ Oct. 13, 2011 - Henderson County, NC: speeding. Case disposed.

▪ Jan. 25, 2012 - Pleaded guilty to a lesser speed and paid fine of $40.

▪ Feb. 27, 2016 - Henderson County, NC: speeding and expired registration card/tag. Case disposed.

▪ May 18, 2016 - Pleaded guilty to a lesser charge of failure to wear seat belt in rear seat and paid fine of $75. The expired registration card/tag charge was dismissed.

▪ April 21, 2016 - South Carolina: speeding ticket for going more than 25 mph over the speed limit. Pleaded down to a 10-miles-over violation in July 2016.

▪ Oct. 7, 2016 - Virginia: Ticket for following too close. Case resolved Jan. 27, 2017.

FIREARMS AND WEAPONS INCIDENTS

In addition to the traffic violations, Cawthorn has also been involved in several incidents related to weapons.

▪ Jan. 6, 2021, Washington, D.C.: Cawthorn claimed he went to Congress armed, The Asheville Citizen-Times reported, on the day a violent mob attacked the U.S. Capitol building to attempt to overturn the results of the 2020 election.

▪ Feb. 13, 2021 – Asheville, N.C.: Airport security stopped Cawthorn for attempting to board a plane with a Glock 9 mm handgun and a loaded magazine, The News & Observer previously reported. Cawthorn was not charged, and security held onto the weapon for him to pick up when he got back from his flight.

▪ 2021 - Multiple incidents: As Cawthorn visited school facilities around the state, he was accused of bringing a knife to at least four of those visits.

There are several state laws with various levels of crimes related to knives on school property, the Citizen-Times reported, but Cawthorn has not been charged with any crimes for the incidents.

▪ April 26, 2022 - Charlotte: Cawthorn was again accused of trying to go through airport security with a loaded gun, this time at Charlotte-Douglas International Airport.

Charlotte-Mecklenburg Police officers took away his gun and issued him a citation, The Charlotte Observer reported, since it’s a violation of city ordinances to have a loaded gun at the airport.

Read more at: https://www.newsobserver.com/news/politics-government/state-politics/article260599597.html#storylink=cpy

There's no more White Supremacy?

Here, read this bullcrap and learn how these Republican dildo heads are slowly strangling our initiatives, individuals and overall advancement. 

Our young people can't even wear their hair the way they want anymore because it bothers some Conservatives. 

Black teen banned from school because his hair is braided

Hopefully, the CROWN Act--H.R.2116 - Creating a Respectful and Open World for Natural Hair Act of 2022, will resolve this issue of racial discrimination.

There's no shortage of racist issues in this country.  Folks are becoming more bold in expressing and/or enforcing their racist beliefs. 😎

With Congress ignoring the concerns of Blacks, the poor and the struggling, there's no guarantee the Crown Bill will pass.

We no longer have a guaranteed Right to Vote. That was taken away from us in September 2013.

I am well aware there are continuing racist incidents in the U.S. And I am also mindful that so many don't want to acknowledge this.

Here is the latest eyebrow raising dumbness:

A Brooklyn, N.Y., principal, dubbed a hero by students and the news media, had to resign in 2021 because of a serious illness. She kept in touch with a few folks at the school which she founded. 

When she went back to visit recently, she was treated as a leper. 

Black principal banned from school she founded

@Stefan, coming from New York City, I have to tell you (perhaps again), the New York Post is not known for its journalistic excellence.  It is a classic tabloid biased to sensationalism over accuracy.  I would not cite it as a source of racism, or anything else, for that reason. 

I did however read the article as it was possible I knew the principal, as I got to know a lot of educators in NYC, a couple of whom founded schools.  The City started many new schools sometimes taking an existing school and breaking it up into 4 difference schools with all the reductant overhead and additional cost--paying 4 principals where previously one was paid. I always though this was a bad idea... but I digress.

I read the article and it only told one side of the story.  Did the Post even try to get the current principal's side of the story?  The other side of the story was all hearsay, so we don't really know why the former principal was not welcomed with open arms--maybe she deserved to be treated the way she was treated.  To jump to the conclusion that it is racism is a real stretch.

Troy,

If you grew up in New York City, then you would know that this paper, founded by Alexander Hamilton, was not always Right Wing. It was pretty Left Wing in 60's and 70's. 

It became decidedly pro-Republican after Rupert Murdoch bought it in the late 1970's. Since Obama's election and now, Biden, it has cemented itself as a constant source of celebrity drivel and anti-Black crime stories. 

I actually edited a couple of reporters who ended up there. 

The news story about former principal Nadia Lopez is true. I don't post bullchit. A similar news story on her travails made the content of Black Enterprise. 

If the account is "true," then tell me why she was treated like a "leper" and "banned."  Surely there must be a reason, or some form of justification, whether we agree with it or not.  What is it?

Black Enterprise covered the story.  Please share a link I'd like to read the article. 

Black Enterprise, unfortunately, is no longer what it once was. What do y'all think of the trajectory of the publication over the past two decades?  That said I'll support the business as long as it exists.

3 hours ago, Troy said:

Black Enterprise, unfortunately, is no longer what it once was. What do y'all think of the trajectory of the publication over the past two decades? 

As you know all too well, it's very hard for our publications and institutions to remain relevant.

IMO, it's mainly because black folks are not encouraged to support their own religiously.😎

On 5/3/2022 at 4:24 PM, Troy said:

If the account is "true," then tell me why she was treated like a "leper" and "banned."  Surely there must be a reason, or some form of justification, whether we agree with it or not.  What is it?

Black Enterprise covered the story.  Please share a link I'd like to read the article. 

Black Enterprise, unfortunately, is no longer what it once was. What do y'all think of the trajectory of the publication over the past two decades?  That said I'll support the business as long as it exists.

You want answers to your questions, get your ace contributors on the case:

Nels, richardmurray, daniellefgny and whoever else thinks Republicans are super great. Because I don't.

I simply punched in the former principal's name in a Google search box and clicked "news." 

Those insulting terms in the NY Post story terms are not pejoratives I would ever employ in a news story that the news buying customers would see. But if you notice, the header on the Post story referred to Nina Lopez as being a "Hero Principal."

The state of Journalism at some organizations these days is a joke. Few follow up questions. No explanations. Just needless rubbish and accusations with little confirmation. And worse, one source news stories or none at all.

Most of the best news reportage is behind pay walls and I refuse to pay real dollars to obtain it. 

Since some on here actually believe I am always lying and phonying up chit, here is your link to the Black Enterprise piece on the principal in question. I told you a long time ago, I am a fluid writer and damn good editor.

I also included two other news links. Unlike some on here, there is no need for me to craft untruths or attempt to deceive.

https://www.blackenterprise.com/tag/nadia-lopez/

https://www.yahoo.com/lifestyle/ex-principal-nadia-lopez-asked-181537347.html

https://madamenoire.com/1313779/ex-principal-nadia-lopez-asked-to-leave-school-she-founded-for-making-unauthorized-visits/

23 hours ago, Stefan said:

Most of the best news reportage is behind pay walls and I refuse to pay real dollars to obtain it. 

Why do you refuse to play real dollars to obtain it?  It cost real dollars to generate "the best news reportage."   This is the crux of the problem.  People have been programmed to think journalism is free.  

On 5/3/2022 at 6:59 PM, ProfD said:

As you know all too well, it's very hard for our publications and institutions to remain relevant.

Stefan's stance helps explain why.   The situation is much worse for Black publications simply because they have FAR less support to begin with.

23 hours ago, Stefan said:

...there is no need for me to craft untruths or attempt to deceive.

I not saying that YOU are lying.  What I am saying is that the NY Post's coverage was once sided and, as a result, a poor source to understand what actually happened an why.

@Stefan I read the Black Enterprise article.  The NY Post was a better.  The BE article was a rehashing of the NY Post article with images taking from Twitter.  They did not add any additional incite or information.

As a side bar: I thought the Google ads here were intrusive, but the ad situation at Black Enterprise is intolerable!  I could barely read the article.  That coupled with the fact that the article was cobbled from the NY Post's article, gives me pause for concern regarding BE's content.  What do the rest of y'all think?

Wikipedia is another problem. People volunteer to update it, but companies like Google monetize it. 

if i monetize Wikipedia the way Google does, Google would bury me in their search results.

Again, as with journalism, people expect encyclopedias, like Wikipedia, to be “free.”  It is not rational. As a result we have a sub par product.

i won’t even get into how Wikipedia citations are exploited by marketers.

1 hour ago, Troy said:

Again, as with journalism, people expect encyclopedias, like Wikipedia, to be “free.”  It is not rational. As a result we have a sub par product.

The Wal-Mart mentality has permeated society in such a way that many people want something for little or nothing. 

Money makes this whole thing spin.  The 1% of the population controlling 97% of the wealth knows how to play it. 😎

3 hours ago, ProfD said:

The 1% of the population controlling 97% of the wealth knows how to play it

Absolutely.

Unfortunately, Black people get played the most and we do very little about it.  Whether it is through ignorance, apathy, helplessness, or greed, collectively we don't very much to change our situation.  ...and that is entirely understandable.

@Troy

The reason I don't waste money on news websites is because I am retired and use my funds for other items I need. But you notice, I still manage to find information.

I didn't bother reading your entire response. It seems you still think I make chit up. Which is hilarious.

You admire Wikipedia? 

Any student of mine who cited Wikipedia as source got a "F" for that assignment. Until they rewrote it within two weeks. I always offered alternative research Websites beforehand, such as britannica dot com and grolier dot com. I think Grolier morphed into encyclopedia dot com.

I exposed grimy Wikipedia on Facebook as perennial plagiarizers and racist phonies when Naomi Osaka won the U.S. Open in 2018, defeating Serena Williams. 

Not only did that crappy Website tried to mislead the world by publishing a bio that made it seem that Naomi was purely Japanese by dropping her Haitian heritage, it used a photo that was taken with either a close up flash or lightened with photography software to make her resemble a Japanese woman.

I am still emailing dumb writers who refuse to acknowledge Naomi is part of our people. Even though she was born in Japan, she she was raised in the U.S. does not hide the fact she is half-Haitian.

Anybody who uses Wikipedia is a lazy as Republicans are cruel. 

And while I'm on the subject of GOP cruelty, I trust everyone realizes that Texas Governor Greg Abbott is now pushing for the elimination of public schooling. He claims this will eliminate the possibility of undocumented Mexicans from attending school and perhaps, learning English, Math, Science, Digital Talents and other subjects.

I find Abbott's reasoning disingenuous. What the GOP really wants is a return to 1820 when Blacks were denied the right to a full education, pay for farm work and of course, full citizenship.

Abbott's move is a trial balloon. I am curious how many who support Abbott, DeSantis, Trump, et al, will support it. 

18 hours ago, Stefan said:

I didn't bother reading your entire response. It seems you still think I make chit up. Which is hilarious.

That is a problem, for it would have revealed that your conclusion is baseless. I suspect that is not the only response of mine you have not read. Do you think it is better to  ignore my thoughts and superimpose yours?

I agree; Wikipedia can be very biased. Check out how they portrayed a couple of Black  writers in an unnecessarily overly negative light: “What is Wrong with Goodreads and Wikipedia?”

1 hour ago, Stefan said:

Your disdain for Goodreads and Wikipedia seems motivated by self-interest.

Of course my distain for how Wikipedia is used is motivated by my self interest and that of my people. 

@Stefan, did you not see a problem with how biased the editors were for promoting the most scandalous aspects of the lives of Zane and Terry McMillian?  Do you also not see how corporations like Goodreads, Google, and Facebooks copying of that scandalous of information helps that negative information propagate more quickly and more widely cross the web.

I appreciate most people don't get it (which is why I wrote the article) or if they do get it they may not care. 

Yes, as a book seller, I am more aware of the accomplishments of writers like Zane and McMillan, so when I saw their lives described as it they are no more than tax cheats and  victims of cat fishing.  I did not like it.  Corporations marginalize Black people is ways we can not full appreciate.  

So, if you want to sing Wikipedia's praises go ahead, but based upon what I know I will not.

@Troy

I am aware of the growing hatred against Black people and I am unafraid to post about it.

But disdain against Black writers is only part of the tsunami of hate and disrespect Black people are contending with.

I'd rather not focus on only one part of it and choose to tackle this issue head on because this abuse effects our entire Race. Except for those with dark skin who heartily endorse it.

I’m going to stay on topic. White Supremacy is real and it’s getting much worse, week by week.

Georgia sheriff deputies pulled over a bus carrying a mostly Black Women's Lacrosse team from Delaware State University. They subjected the bus occupants to a search for illegal drugs. The deputies claimed they were looking for weed. 

But what they were really looking for is another incident that racist Whites could highlight as to why none of us should ever be trusted. This deputies even rifled through personal items.

Think this happens to mostly White female Lacrosse teams?

Black Women's Lacrosse team pulled over and searched for drugs

12 hours ago, Stefan said:

I’m going to stay on topic. White Supremacy is real and it’s getting much worse, week by week.

Yes white supremacy is real.  I doubt any Black person over 25 will dispute that.  The link you provided of the bus being tossed for weed is a good example. 

My point of contention is that it is "getting much worse, week by week."  I don't agree with the statement.  Perhaps I need to better understand what you mean...

Are you comparing the racism today with the racism of the 19th century, or the racism of the Jim Crow era?  Surely you can't believe racism today is worse that those periods.

Are you asserting that racism is worse today than last year or the year before?  If so, I think you are just reading more accounts of racism and are getting the impression it is worse.  It todays algorithmically driven social media world I suspect you are simply seeing more incidents and more frequently and it is making you believe racism is worse today.  

A generation ago thet story you shared would have been a local story -- it if made the news at all.  There would have been no video footage and you would have not known about it at all.   As a result it is not possible to use these stories to draw the conclusion that racism is getting worse. 

The are however much easier ways to quantify racism and in ways that we can you'll conclude that racism is decreasing. That does not mean that it does not exist.  you and I will not see and send of racism.

Are biggest problem is that stories of racism make the news and stories of racial unity do not, as a result people get the false impression that racism is getting worse.

The degree of racism in inconsequential.   It should not be happening at all.

As long as racism exists, incidents of it should be put on full blast so that people are aware that racism is still alive and kicking. 

Otherwise, it's easy for folks to fall into a false sense of harmony and walk around thinking racism isn't that bad or hasn't gotten any worse. 

Then, we have white folks feeling good about themselves for having *black friends* until they learn that one of them has been arrested or choked out by a racist. 

On the flip side, n8gglets like Uncle Clarence Thomas drinks the colorblind Kool-Aid like it's a Big Gulp.  

Racism needs to be called out at every instance and should be an ongoing conversation in America. 😎

• Thanks 1