Why Blacks need to pay attention to the Ukraine-Russian War

There were 70,000 foreigners studying in Ukraine, according to various publications and Ukrainian government officials. About a quarter were Black Africans. There were about 20,000 Indians, according to 2020 government data.

They fled the war, just as anyone with a working brain would.

But many Blacks were mistreated as they tried to flee. They were beaten and blocked from boarding trains and buses scheduled to cross into Poland. Many had to walk miles to get to safe areas. Not all the Africans have made it home. When most managed to cross the border, some were tossed into detention camps. This is what I am chiefly concerned about. 

Massacres, rapes, home burnings and slaughters occur in many conflicts. And often, those who engage in such atrocities do not need to be forced. Ask the people of Bosnia, Ethiopia, Rwanda and the Rohingya in Malaysia. Soldiers, ordinary civilians and even a few religious leaders will take part willingly.

But the question is: Why did Putin invade Ukraine?

To teach the West a lesson. Stop expanding NATO eastward.

Because there is no way in hell that Poland, Austria, Hungary or the eastern portion of Germany are going to rejoin the Warsaw Pact. There is just no friggin’ way that is going to happen.

Putin knew Western Europe wants to avoid another war on their continent. And Putin recognized the U.S. is politically and racially divided and that he can count on Trump and the worst in the GOP to back his play. Trump called Putin "smart" for invading Ukraine and blamed President Biden. People claim the invasion would not have taken place if Trump was in the White House.

“I mean, he’s taking over a country for $2 worth of sanctions. I’d say that’s pretty smart," Trump said during a fundraiser at his Mar-a-Lago resort in Florida. This is according to a recording of the February event posted online, the Wall Street Journal reported.

I will post a link, but it is behind a paywall. ( https://www.wsj.com/livecoverage/russia-ukraine-latest-news/card/trump-calls-putin-s-invasion-of-ukraine-smart-blames-biden-for-not-doing-enough-JicGb9xT5GnCZpQdiBjN ) 

Yes, Russia would have invaded Ukraine with Trump in the White House with 45 issuing orders for the U.S. to stand down and not render assistance. Trump held up aid $400 million to Ukraine because Ukraine president Volodymyr Zelensky would not lie and accuse Joe Biden of corruption. This resulted in Trump's first impeachment.

Despite having cruise missiles, drones and of course nukes and submarines capable of firing missiles that could incinerate enemy cities, military bases and agricultural regions within a half hour, Putin is not looking for Armageddon.  

Those who don’t know history fail to understand that Russians still have a morbid fear of another Operation Barbarossa. So, Putin, his generals and strategists want hundreds of miles or even a thousand miles as a buffer from an invasion with conventional forces.

Still, hundreds or possibly thousands, of Russian civilians in Moscow and other cities protested the invasion. You don’t hear much from many of them anymore.

For all the endless talk about NATO being a bulwark against Russia, the alliance hasn’t done crap to liberate Donbas and simply allowed Ukrainian cities to be bombed into ruins.

Covertly or openly funneling supplies and drones to Ukraine after Russian tanks, missiles and helicopters have turned Ukrainian cities into modern bombed out versions of Dresden, Hamburg and Berlin, isn’t doing much.

And imposing a no-fly zone over Ukraine would entail a wider war, downed aircraft from all antagonists and endless prisoner-of-war videos. Not to mention the risks of nuclear annihilation if Putin is publicly humiliated again.

When Putin vowed to forcefully avenge the loss of his Black Sea flagship missile cruiser Moskva, he wasn’t kidding.

Russian invasion exposes Europe's racism against Africans

• Confused 1

57 minutes ago, Stefan said:

But the question is: Why did Putin invade Ukraine?

To teach the West a lesson. Stop expanding NATO eastward.

Despite having cruise missiles, drones and of course nukes and submarines capable of firing missiles that could incinerate enemy cities, military bases and agricultural regions within a half hour, Putin is not looking for Armageddon. 

Bingo.  As  I mentioned in another thread, Putin wants the USSR restored. 

Under no circumstances does Putin want NATO/US any closer to the Russian border.

I think it's disingenuous of the media to report that Ukraine is winning.   

Putin could have shock and awed that country into oblivion 3 weeks ago.  That's not the goal. 😎

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Stefan said:

Still, hundreds or possibly thousands, of Russian civilians in Moscow and other cities protested the invasion. You don’t hear much from many of them anymore.

That is news to me!

5 hours ago, Stefan said:

I have been reading about how the reporters have a double standard when it comes to reporting about the Ukrainians versus other ethnic peoples. 

I also just read that some Africans fled to Russia and were welcomed.

The Russian government fed them, clothed them, sheltered them and welcomed students into their college. 

• Like 1

@ProfD

You are definitely right!

The land buffer was Putin's main goal all along.

Putin may want to reconstitute his empire, but few of those former Russian satellite nations appear willing to rejoin the Warsaw Pact.

Once he conquered Ukraine, Putin thought he could use propaganda, his oil and gas reserves and a re-elected Trump to lean on the rest of Europe.  But Ukraine is resisting valiantly. This is why some analysts believe this war might drag on for years. 

A lot of people don't realize Israeli Prime Minister Naftali Bennett advised Volodymyr Zelensky to accept Putin's demands and forgo ever joining NATO. There are hundreds of thousands of Jews in Ukraine and Russia and Bennett wanted to make sure their lives will be spared. 

@Chevdove

What timeline are you taking about?

I know in the 1970's and 1980's Russia helped out with Black revolutionary movements in Angola, Rhodesia and South Africa. I know Cuba did, too.

Pretoria then demanded help from Tel Aviv. And Israel offered the Afrikaaners an atom bomb, but its supporters denied this ever happened.

The West dubbed these nations "Frontline States." I read "Africa" magazine diligently and worked with a fellow journalist whose family was close to Archbishop Desmond Tutu during his 1984 trip to New York and Washington, D.C.

But I have never seen a news report from a valid source that alluded to Russia  offering sanctuary to Black Africans who fled the invasion.

If you talking about right at this moment, It would seem fantastical because any flights from Africa heading for Russia would be noticed. NATO, the U.S. and likely Israel are tracking everything in the air, land and sea connected to this conflict now. 

And I doubt Black Africans who made it into Poland would be permitted to board flights to Russia. 

But I will try to check this out. 

• Thanks 1

• 4 weeks later...
On 4/22/2022 at 9:36 PM, Stefan said:

No one has heard of anything like this and the folks I checked keep a close eye on the Ukraine War as well as anything to do with U.S. national politics.

@Stefan Sorry for the late response.

I actually saw a video. And, it was about this conflict going on right now. 

I will try to see if I can locate that video and post it.

On 4/20/2022 at 6:00 AM, Stefan said:

But I have never seen a news report from a valid source that alluded to Russia  offering sanctuary to Black Africans who fled the invasion.

I found the video that I saw. I don't know if it a valid source in your opinion, but I believe what I read. 

On 4/20/2022 at 6:00 AM, Stefan said:

If you talking about right at this moment, It would seem fantastical because any flights from Africa heading for Russia would be noticed. NATO, the U.S. and likely Israel are tracking everything in the air, land and sea connected to this conflict now. 

And I doubt Black Africans who made it into Poland would be permitted to board flights to Russia. 

I believe you! I believe that any activity between Africa and Russia would be noticed and tracked and maybe that is why we over here would not get any kind of news on this wise. Any kind of news like this would probably have to come from a foreign source and that is just what happened. This video showed up on my channel. It was from an African girl's you tube channel:

Putin Gives Tanzanian Students A Place To Stay And Clothes To Change After Fleeing Ukraine

Mar 22, 2022

Putin Gives Tanzanian Students A Place To Stay And Clothes To Change After Fleeing Ukraine - YouTube

I am not questioning the video. Just the timing. Are we sure these Black Africans traveled to Russia POST invasion? Or were they already in the country and allowed to stay?

Because they would have had to have already been in the eastern portion of Ukraine to make it into Russia.

Judging from everything I've read, Russian troops have been acting viciously in towns they've taken over and occupied, murdering Ukrainian civilians trying to escape, raping women, many times in front of their children and murdering their husbands. No Ukrainian men will admit to being raped, but I'm sure it has happened.

All one needs to do to make a video is have a decent video camera, an attractive talking head, a suitable background with carefully placed props and imitate your favorite on-camera person. Then, of course, a paid membership for YouTube. 

Why is anyone so quick to believe the woman in his video when it's quite apparent that a Black woman most want to come home from Russia is still being held there against her will?

WNBA star Brittney Griner.

On 4/19/2022 at 10:23 PM, Stefan said:

Ask the people of Bosnia, Ethiopia, Rwanda and the Rohingya in Malaysia. Soldiers, ordinary civilians and even a few religious leaders will take part willingly.

There's so much geopolitical ignorance in America - but it's not surprising since most of us don't even know how our own government works.  

I can't speak intelligently on the Ukraine war-invasion... I'm still heartbroken that I can't get unbiased information on what appears to be a civil war in "the land of the gods" Ethiopia.  Please continue to share your perspective and information  - I'm paying attention I just don't know where I should focus it across the pond.  (aside:  we are so isolated here in the americas)

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, Mel Hopkins said:

There's so much geopolitical ignorance...

I grew up in a time where the elders would tell us to "stay out of grown folks' business".😁

Well...whenever white folks have a dust up or skirmish among themselves...that's not black folks' business to get involved one way or another. 

However, black folks already under the persecution of racism white supremacy need to figure out to avoid the sh8t that rolls downhill when the dust settles between the white folks.

They won't call them immigrants so....wherever they choose to go, Ukrainian refugees will be able to find safe harbor in other countries around the world.

The US has already committed to taking 100k Ukrainians.  The Governor of Ohio has done a PSA (public service announcement)  extending an open invitation to them.

Black folks had better hope they are not relocated in order to make those accommodations.  😎

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, ProfD said:

However, black folks already under the persecution of racism white supremacy need to figure out to avoid the sh8t that rolls downhill when the dust settles between the white folks.

Absolutely!  This is exactly why I've been keeping a side-eye on this invasion-war  because eventually black people pay the price for not paying attention!

• Like 1

@Mel Hopkins

A lot of folks in the U.S. are relying on relatives or friends in Europe or can speak and read different languages so they peruse foreign news Websites.

Most in the U.S. who are closely following the Russo-Ukrainian war are using this Website:

https://www.understandingwar.org/backgrounder/ukraine-conflict-updates

The data from that Website is said to be the most current and its analysis is considered to be the most unbiased and accurate. 

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Stefan said:

The data from that Website is said to be the most current and its analysis is considered to be the most unbiased and accurate. 

Thank You @Stefan - I misspoke, well kinda.  I want news reports that tell the story from the Black American perspective.  We used to have Amsterdam News as a go-to, but I don’t think they have the budget to cover global stories let alone war.  I did look at the website  and at first glance, the content looks dense - and it’s kind of intimidating.  But I’ll see what I can get from it. 👍🏽

@Mel Hopkins

It's nice to know someone appreciates decent sourcing of information and good writing.

There does not appear to be many news sources inside of Russia that display some sort of focus on Black people, either from Africa, the Caribbean or the Americas. 

If any exist, what they offer would likely be self-serving towards Putin. He needs some positive news to toss to a skeptical global news media which seems to have already decided that his invasion of Ukraine is a failure.

I continue to worry about Brittney Griner and whether all the Black Africans who were studying or living in Ukraine made it home. 

But what concerns me at this moment is the so-called Monkeypox Virus. It has been detected in the U.S. Because of international travel, this malady which is said to have originated in Black Africa, has the potential to morph into an epidemic. 

Full blown Monkeypox appears to make patients appear to have the once-dreaded smallpox. 

First, it was the achoo virus.  They still aren't trying to let that one and its variants fade to black.  Encouraging folks to get vaxxed and boosted a couple times despite cases spreading among them too.  Now, it's take comfort in being vaxxed and boosted because it will keep folks out of the hospital and the morgue.  Right.

On the heels of that *pandemic*, there are rumblings about smallpox 1.5. Monkeypox is a zoonotic illness but it can be spread from person to person under the right conditions.  It's not a major thing yet but CDC is keeping its eye on the ball.  Stay tuned.

There's a midtern election in November.  Immigration, Inflation, conflict, abortion and disease just to name a few are the ingredients for a political stew.  

As always, be reminded to watch their hands and follow the money. Politics is a dirty business.  They don't leave anything off the table. 😎

People forget that the Apostle Luke was a physician. Of course, his medical knowledge was rudimentary and in no way even close to the technological advancements of the medical industry these days.

But he was a physician.

And in his self-named Gospel account, (He probably also wrote the Book of Acts), Luke prophesied that just before the end there would pestilences in one place after another. (Luke 21:11).

He also predicted famines, which have always occurred. But the one predicted by global analysts because Ukraine cannot export its grain is supposed to be most horrendous, especially for Africa.

• 4 weeks later...

I'm hoping this conflict evolves into a NUCLEAR WAR.

Perhaps it will do something that needs to be done but AfroAmericans so far have shown an unwillingness to do as a community...which is END THIS UNJUST SYSTEM.

This world/society is very corrupt and diabolical and it should have ended many many years ago.
I'd go as far as to say that Black people in America are one of the main reasons it STILL exists because we had an opportunity to end it and use America to enforce justice around the planet, but instead many of our people decided to collaborate WITH the devil instead of ending his rule
So maybe a nuclear war is the solution at this point.

Perhaps when the population is reduced to a few million or a few hundred thousand.....they'll be too busy trying to rebuild and survive that they won't have time to sit around planning and plotting to raise hell, make up diseases, and conspire to exploit people.

For a long time, I didn't think Russia and the United States would even use the nukes on eachother.
I thought the so-called "Cold War" was just a game they were playing and they were really just saving them to use on the darker nations of the world just incase one of them got too powerful.

But now it appears there just might be a nuclear exchange between the two as this conflict escalates.
Unless it's all a big game.

• Sad 1

Actually. The Manhattan Project developed the atom bomb to bring about a quick end to the War in the Pacific during World War II.

Most people forget that Nazi Germany's Third Reich also had plans to create an atomic weapon. And People of Color were not the target.

Judging from the fanaticism shown by Imperial Japanese troops on Okinawa and Iwo Jima who fought to the death, Roosevelt and Truman knew any invasion of Japan's four home islands could result in a million casualties for Allied forces.

No U.S. general or admiral wanted that. The atomic bombs, who use remains controversial, basically forced Japan's Emperor to demand his subjects surrender and "endure the endurable," meaning Occupation.

There is no need to nuke Africa. Blacks in Africa couldn't even free Black Slaves held in Libya after the U.S. helped dethrone Moammar Ghadaffi. Africans are no threat to the World Order. 

• Like 1

The Japanese attacked the United States on a Sunday Morning sneak attack. The japanese were also incredibly cruel. Do you not know history? Have you ever read what the japanese did to the chinese or american prisoners of war? You sound ignorant. Japanese are now considered people pf color? Thats absurd! Ironically the japanese never complain about asian hate or racism. Why? They work hard, have strong family values and are very successful. They dont need to make excuses.

@Greg, I would encourage establishing yourself within the discussion community prior to throwing the word "ignorant" around. 

Asians are non-white therefore they are people of color. 

The reason most non-white people do not complain about racism is because they have accepted the system of white supremacy.  

Most of the hardest working people on the planet are poor

The least hard working people on the planet control 97% of the wealth. 😎

• Like 2

You are full of it !!!! . Why are asians so successful? Why dont asians commit crimes? Because they work hard and dont make excuses thats why. They also dont pump out babies they cant take care of.  Give me a break.

I work with plenty of asians amd not one ever mentions white supremacy. Guess what they are afraid of? Black thugs!

23 hours ago, ProfD said:

Sure.  The atomic bomb was developed to halt the threat of world domination by the Germans but it was tested on the Japanese (people of color). 😎

The atomic bomb was tested in the Nevada desert. It was first used on two Japanese cities in 1945 when the island nation was a vicious and intractable foe of the United States and freedom loving people all across the Pacific and in Asia. 

I still have mixed feelings about the bombs' use. But there is no denying the bombs' use had their desired effect. The Japanese agreed to end the war and the U.S. and its allies avoided what would have a tortuous invasion of Japan's home islands.

Most people had no idea that those invasions were slated for 1946. 

In those days, no one used People of Color. And the Japanese were not referred to by that term. They were called Nips or Japs to strip any semblance of humanity from them. 

Their soldiers, sailors and airmen didn't think much of their U.S. counterparts either.

U.S. marines and soldiers did the same thing to the North Vietnamese and the Viet Cong. There were called "Gooks." 

18 minutes ago, Stefan said:

The atomic bomb was tested in the Nevada desert. It was first used on two Japanese cities in 1945 when the island nation was a vicious and intractable foe of the United States and freedom loving people all across the Pacific and in Asia. 

I'm keenly aware of US history on many fronts.

I used the word tested figuratively during the time when it was actually used to kill people. 

Sure, Japan awakened the US and forced us to enter WWII. IMO, the Japanese weren't powerful enough to conquer the Pacific and/or Asia. 

@Stefan...relax mayne.  Also, It might be helpful to read what *I* write with a grain of humor too.  There is no need to read everything so literally and/or hold folks accountable for what they write.  We know your background and experience but we're not your students.  Enjoy retirement and the discussions.  Relax.😎

6 hours ago, Stefan said:

I am hoping for a return to discussions about Life After Death, Space Fantasy, Interesting Movies and some good natured humor. 

Wait a minute...you've gone from one extreme to another my brotha🤣:

1) There is no Life After Death...just ask Biggie Smalls

2) Space Fantasy...It only applies to the folks who want to escape the Earth i.e. get away from people of color.

3) Interesting movies---Seem to be fewer and far between as I get older.  However, while cable TV is kinda stale when it comes to movies, streaming services Netflix, Hulu, etc. come up with decent content sometimes.  I haven't gone to a theater since before the pandemic.

4) Good natured humor--I'm always here it.

IOW, there's no limit to the variety of discussion topics we can open up. 

Of course, it's a double-edged sword because other topics either reinforce or distract from the bigger issue of tackling the system of racism.  

But, I'm confident that we can walk and chew at the same time.😁😎

While we are conjuring up racism, pumping out babies out of wedlock, commiting violent crimes, Asian are focused on raising their children responsibly and becoming successful. Us blacks- we take the easy way out and make excuses while NO ONE takes the black culture seriously. We are a laughing stock.

AfroAmericans already know the Russian/Ukrainian conflict is a dust up among white folks.  Also, we would love for Britney Griner to make it back home too. 

But, AfroAmericans have bigger issues to deal with right here in America.   Our folks can't buy a bag of groceries or worship in peace without fearing an AR-15 toting, hate-filled white boy is going to show up and start spraying the place like he's playing a video game.  😎

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

@ProfD

And who's to blame for the unease of Black people going about their lives? Republicans!

They refuse to agree to pass a sensible gun control legislation, many of them still claim there was massive vote fraud in the 2020 election and they'd rather blame the victims of mass shootings for their own demise and injuries. 

And the many GOP defenders ignore truthful and provable pushbacks, instead resorting to childish name calling and juvenile putdowns and steady defense of greed, hate and illogical solutions. 

Your position is morally indefensible if all you do is savage an entire ethnic group for their present struggles while ignoring the centuries of hatred, discrimination and duplicity which keep them there. 

13 hours ago, Stefan said:

And who's to blame for the unease of Black people going about their lives?

I blame white supremacists and those who help them maintain it by any means necessary. 

Recently, a two-faced n8gglet down in Georgia, Vernon Jones got trounced in his bid for the 10th congressional district. 

Turncoat Jones was a Democrat who switched sides and was endorsed by the former POTUS.  

The agents of white supremacy aren't all white.  😎

Stefan

Gun control won't help the AfroAmerican community or Black people in general.

For one thing...like MOST laws, as long as most of those MAKING and ENFORCING the laws are racist CAucasians....then the main ones they'll be enforced on are Black folks.

Laws are only as good as those charged with enforcing them.

That boy who shot up all of those people in Buffalo had SEVERAL complaints on him and was still able to purchase guns at 18 years old.
What happened to the "red flag" laws?

White men literally get away with murder while they play stupid or like they didn't see it coming.
Meanwhile in New York they're stopping Black men and women left and right hoping to find anything on them.

I say LESS LAWS are more beneficial because they provide less weapons for racists in law enforcement to use against our people.

20 minutes ago, Stefan said:

@ProfD

How many times have I noted that we have so many turncoats in our midst? And they will never stop trying to undermine us. 

We've never been in disagreement in that regard.

Nat Turner was undermined by a turncoat.

Boot-licking n8gglets have been around forever.😎

There are so many more of them now. And they dismiss rational debate, preferring juvenile put downs as a response or outright ignoring links to legitimate news. 

They are imitating the man whom they hold in high esteem, Donald Trump. When did Trump ever sound sensible detailing a complicated world issue? You ever listen to Herschel Walker give an answer? He's kinda comical. 

But that is what the Republican Party offers as viable conversation. 

It's enuff to make one want to make contact with Gen. Melvin Meteor of Nel's Asteroid Army. I always wondered what happened to that wayward space rock. Not a dang thing is on time these days. People just don't wanna do their danged jobs. 

Handkerchief head n8gglets like Herschel Walker, Vernon Jones, Larry Elders, etc., have always been around.

A few laughs, white women and pats on the back will be just enough to sway some folks. The white man's colder ice lures many too. 

The blessing and curse of mass media allows us to see and hear more of them. They are hiding in plain sight. 😎

This post was originally a response to ProfD whom I value considerably as a contributor of needed knowledge about issues which affect the Black Community. I copied it from a Black Agenda thread created by Mel Hopkins because by placing it there, I actually hijacked her thread.

And I apologize for doing so.

(Now let me delete the text from that other post).

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I am not sure that most who are cognizant of current world affairs will truly understand the real reason Putin decided to invade Ukraine. Definitely stopping Ukraine from joining NATO had to be a major rationale. 

If Putin thought his invasion would propel Russia back into the ranks of major world powers, then he was dead wrong. Because the invasion exposed Russian military incompetence, poor leadership and a steady willingness to slaughter civilians to depopulate areas Moscow wanted to control. 

I don't presume to be an expert on the Russian economy. But this conflict has led to a shortage of foreign cash reserves for Moscow as some nations try to decrease Russian petroleum imports. The war could also possibly propel the most ingenious of nations to seek non-petroleum alternatives for energy. I think the best bet is to invest in wind and solar energy. But I think full blown investment and development are still years away. 

I will simply agree with some Pentagon and global military analysts who believe that World War III is closer than ever. Abd that's depressing because of the billions of deaths a conflict like this would entail. 

I used to always joke that "I'm waiting for the Mother Ship."

But shoot, these days, I'll take a Ferengi Shuttle Craft.