Contraception Ban , Anti-abortion vs Abortion Rights?

The Anti-Abortion group says their next step is a federal ban on contraception and abortion. 

This move criminalizes women and will also stomp over the right to privacy. 

When I first began visiting this forum in 2010, there was a lot of talk about the fall of the Black community because unmarried Black women were having babies with multiple men. I noticed, too - no one put the onus on men. I'll never understand that perspective, mainly since men cause 100 percent of unwanted pregnancies. 

But let's say women lose the right to choose abortion. And any attempt to abort, a woman becomes a felon. Felons lose their rights to participate in society, especially in the political system. Black women are the most consistent voting block, but we're no match to combat voter obstruction. 

So, what's next? The government subjugates and returns black women to breeder status? 

Speculation aside, if black women lose their rights to exercise agency in this society, what's next for the Black community? 

• Thanks 2

1 hour ago, ProfD said:

s I mentioned in another thread, the anti-abortion movement is about protecting the white population.  Non-white folks are collateral damage.  😎

Thank You for responding.  I can see how it may attempt to solve the white nationalists’ numbers problem.

But, I’m Black woman.  Therefore, I look at the harmful effects of any legislative proposal and how it can impact the future of the Black community. I don’t care about the white nationalist movement and their desires. I do care about Black people and other disenfranchised groups. We are always hammered by their laws and initiatives.  For example, Nixon earmarked funds for the Medicaid program  to sterilize Black and Brown women back in the 70s. There was a whole program to sterilize women in Puerto Rico that still some say still haunts them to this day. Yes, I’m sure that was a numbers game then too. But those women didn’t get a pass. I agree,  It is important to peep their game but it’s even more important to prepare the community. 

• Like 1

Sure. The trickle down effect of their laws and initiatives will always have a worse impact on Black people and other disenfranchised groups.

As black folks, we need to be even more vigilant in holding ourselves and each other  accountable and be more responsible in our actions and reactions.

Black folks cannot do everything they do and get away with it. We have to protect ourselves and our interests on all fronts.😎

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Abortion is a Women's Issue - Period. Men need to stay out of it.

The most sickening part of the Abortion debate in the U.S. is the claim by White Conservatives and Evangelicals and many ill-informed and misogynist Black men that curbing this oft-used medical procedure will help the Black Community. Which is hogwash. 

If Conservatives and Evangelicals want to assist the Black Community, then treat and fund Black Community Healthcare in the same manner as their own communities. 

1) Let Blacks vote without hesitation, the same way Whites can

2) Fund Women's HealthCare, from Gynecology, Pre-Natal, Pre-Birth, Post Birth, Pre-School and then actual Schooling. Do this with the same percentage of funding that is provided Whites and other ethnic groups.

3) Provide adequate money for Child Care, reasonable accommodations for the Disabled and those otherwise requiring assistance.

4) Teaching young men and young women proper Birth Control will help the Black Community. Again, this is a financing issue.

5) Make sure that Black Mental Health issues have adequate funding, support and resources. 

This is just a start. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

17 hours ago, Stefan said:

1 A) Abortion is a Women's Issue - Period. Men need to stay out of it. (EXCEPT FOR WHEN MEN VOTE FOR CANDIDATES THAT BELIEVE ITS A WOMAN'S RIGHT TO CHOOSE) (addendum - mh)

1) Let Blacks vote without hesitation, the same way Whites can

2) Fund Women's HealthCare, from Gynecology, Pre-Natal, Pre-Birth, Post Birth, Pre-School and then actual Schooling. Do this with the same percentage of funding that is provided Whites and other ethnic groups.

3) Provide adequate money for Child Care, reasonable accommodations for the Disabled and those otherwise requiring assistance.

4) Teaching young men and young women proper Birth Control will help the Black Community. Again, this is a financing issue.

5) Make sure that Black Mental Health issues have adequate funding, support and resources. 

This is just a start. 

A while back for a political platform for black people  - and after a billion years later someone finally answers!  Thank you @Stefan

WAIT... I lied! We did start to develop a black political platform thank you @Pioneer1!!! (I hope you're doing well!) 

Edited by Mel Hopkins
I lied We did begin to develop a platform.

@Mel Hopkins

We men have this insane, but unique, ability to sidestep and ignore the dilemma and problems of being a woman.

Mel Hopkins patiently explained that the loss of woman's Right to Choose what happens to her own body would entail. She mentioned the loss of privacy. Even I skipped over that and I apologize to Ms. Hopkins.

The power of these Right Wing wackos to peer into our private lives and possibly all our communications is something none of us should discount. 

So, it does not matter how you may feel personally about a Woman's Right to Choose. But you should be completely mesmerized about the threat to your privacy.

I hope Ms. Hopkins continues advising us about this. This is no joke, friends. 

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Stefan said:

Even I skipped over that and I apologize to Ms. Hopkins.

"skipped over" maybe, but it's obvious you didn't stop! Thank you. Old-school Journalists never lose their skills!  I can only imagine how your brain was working through the scenarios.  

People often think journalism is about telling other people's stories.  And yes, on the surface abortion does seem like a woman's problem...But that is exactly what "Right Wing Wackos" want the electorate to believe. Journalists may start with a subject but that's just the beginning of any story. 

Thank you so much for the follow up! 🙏🏽

• Thanks 1

I didn't skip over anything sista @Mel Hopkins brilliantly articulated.  Her salient points immediately led me to think about the rest of our *freedoms* these clowns will infringe upon if/when they're are successful in overturning one. 

This right-wing train has been barreling down the social tracks for a very long time. We've been able to see it coming from the election of 45 to SCOTUS nominations.

Yet, while they had *power* the liberals never put any safeguards in place  codifying these rights into law. 😎

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, ProfD said:

We've been able to see it coming from the election of 45 to SCOTUS nominations.

I would date it back to Rush Limbaugh on Fox News.

4 hours ago, Mel Hopkins said:

People often think journalism is about telling other people's stories

I feel the same way about writers, less so about people who write. 

A writer's voice as well as their ideas are informative. Technology has made many fields more open: music; writing; astrology, investing and others. This has also resulted in a lower signal to noise ratio.

• Like 2

On 5/15/2022 at 11:19 AM, ProfD said:

Yet, while they had *power* the liberals never put any safeguards in place  codifying these rights into law.

This is the one thing that makes me crazy about democrats and the independents that caucus with them. Write that ish into law when you have a (REAL) majority. When President Obama was elected in 2008 -the 110th Congress should have lined those legislatives proposals up and got them signed before 2010.  

If you resort to blaming Liberals, Democrats, Blacks, Jews and other groups, then you've already lost.

It is none of those groups.

It is obstructionist Republicans who have consistently refused to support Voting Rights, Women's Rights, Immigrants' Rights and adequate funding for the Disabled, Single Mothers, Children, Education and the Elderly.

When you pop your blame game rhetoric, make sure you truthfully admit what party and social issues you support.

@Stefan, as @Mel Hopkins pointed out above, it's not about blaming Democrats or other groups for failures. 

The fact of the matter is that Democrats could have codified these things into law when they were in majority over a decade ago.  Unfortunately, they are not aggressive enough when it comes to pushing legislation.  

OTOH, the obstructionists (Republicans) have been saying all along that they are going to overturn everything that benefits minorities.  When they do have power...they wield it from appointing SCOTUS nominees to enacting laws.

I have zero issue with calling balls and strikes as I see them regardless of political party.  From where I sit, both parties are total agreement when it comes to one thing...maintaining white supremacy. 😎

• Like 1

On 5/10/2022 at 12:54 PM, Mel Hopkins said:

if black women lose their rights to exercise agency

Once you take a look at horrific photos of aborted babies, you'll never unsee it. #BabyKillers

===

63,459,781 Babies Have Been Killed in Abortions Since Roe v. Wade in 1973
https://www.lifenews.com/2022/01/07/63459781-babies-have-been-killed-in-abortions-since-roe-v-wade-in-1973/
---
"More than 20 million Black babies have been aborted since the 1973 Roe v. Wade U.S. Supreme Court decision legalized abortion in our country."
https://rtl.org/multicultural-outreach/black-abortion-statistics/
---
Abortion's twisted logic of racism during Black History Month
https://www.washingtonexaminer.com/opinion/op-eds/since-roe-abortion-has-killed-more-black-babies-than-the-entire-black-population-of-the-u-s-in-1960
---
THE EFFECTS OF ABORTION ON THE BLACK COMMUNITY
https://docs.house.gov/meetings/JU/JU10/20171101/106562/HHRG-115-JU10-Wstate-ParkerS-20171101-SD001.pdf
---
Black Abortions: The Truth About Abortions and Black Genocide
https://medium.com/latagia-copeland-tyronces-tagi-s-world/black-abortions-the-truth-about-abortions-and-black-genocide-b063a10073de

===

This should make for some interesting reading. Everything has its perspective.

22 hours ago, Stefan said:

It is obstructionist Republicans who have consistently refused to support Voting Rights, Women's Rights, Immigrants' Rights and adequate funding for the Disabled, Single Mothers, Children, Education and the Elderly.

Absolutely, this too! I just hope when the democrats and independents gain control of congress again - they move quickly.

15 hours ago, nels said:

Everything has its perspective.

Exactly. So make sure you aren't responsible for any woman's decision to have an abortion.  

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, Mel Hopkins said:

So make sure you aren't responsible for any woman's decision to have an abortion.  

Do you know how you sound? Instead of insulting your response which makes absolutely no sense, I'll give you all the room you need to dwell on it because it's a typical reaction that is given by people who simply can't answer to the truth about abortion.

• Haha 2

17 hours ago, nels said:

63,459,781 Babies Have Been Killed in Abortions Since Roe v. Wade in 1973

There's a whole lot of white folks in that number too.

In 2045, there will be 200 million white folks and 240 million non-white folks in America.  That  is a problem for white folks. 

With a stagnant population growth, white folks are tired of white women aborting the future of their race. 

Again, the anti-abortion folks do not give a d8mn about non-white folks. 😎

• Like 1

Either one can wallow in the past, which cannot be changed, or look to the future.

This is a nation where the White Man was supreme for two centuries and where women were necessary for entertainment, sexual pleasure and child bearing. 

So, of course, Democrats and Republicans and even Independents, all bear blame for how this country evolved politically.

But let's deal with NOW.

What major political party poses the greatest threat to women? And should men decide what women want to do with their bodies?

And to go further, men should also keep quiet about how women should wear their hair, clothes, what careers they should have, whom they should date and how they should think. 

Should women really be forced to carry a rapists' child to term? How do you think their husbands, boyfriends, mothers, fathers, friends and other relatives would be feel about that? 

Men can take their time to put on a condom. If they are mature, patient and conscious that their decisions will alter the lives of others.

Because birth control regimens may not be healthy, suitable or acceptable for all women of child bearing age. 

• Like 1

On 5/17/2022 at 10:38 AM, Mel Hopkins said:

obstructionist Republicans

Sounds like Stefan is a Leftist...

https://grandmageri422.me/2017/10/25/karl-marx-accuse-your-enemy-of-what-you-are-doing-as-you-are-doing-it-to-create-confusion/

https://townhall.com/columnists/kurtschlichter/2017/03/06/you-can-tell-what-leftists-are-doing-by-what-they-accuse-conservatives-of-doing-n2294209

On 5/17/2022 at 12:31 PM, ProfD said:

anti-abortion folks do not give a d8mn about non-white

On what logic?

22 hours ago, Stefan said:

And should men decide what women want to do with their bodies?

God has already said that you're not going to win this argument. #ProChoiice = #BabyKiller

• Haha 2

On 5/16/2022 at 4:52 PM, ProfD said:

I have zero issue with calling balls and strikes as I see them regardless of political party.  From where I sit, both parties are total agreement when it comes to one thing...maintaining white supremacy. 😎

Agreed.

In terms of how this law would play out for White women, I have a difficult time thinking that they would be criminalized if the goal is to foster more births. But, when it comes to Black women, it will definitely criminalize them! This government does not want more Black births. 

This law would be dividing, imo. And, it makes me think about the issue with laws such as the use of marijuana in the past. I sometimes wonder how many Black people have been cited for breaking this law and criminalized but on the other hand, how many White people guilty of the same offense were able to get lawyers to avoid being cited.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Chevdove said:

This law would be dividing, imo. And, it makes me think about the issue with laws such as the use of marijuana in the past. I sometimes wonder how many Black people have been cited for breaking this law and criminalized but on the other hand, how many White people guilty of the same offense were able to get lawyers to avoid being cited.

Don't stop there, Sis! Keep thinking it through. Laws are never divisive. It is the application of the law that divides the people. You brought up marijuana laws - look at the 2022 map, determine where marijuana is illegal, then look at incarcerated people based on the laws written for possession and distribution of marijuana. If you feel inspired, look at the record of the prosecuting attorneys involved in those cases - and law enforcement. Next, look at the states where marijuana is legal - or a misdemeanor- to see how those states seek to offer retribution to those tried and convicted under all laws. Once you gather that information - see if there's any relation to proposed criminality for terminating an unwanted pregnancy. Legislators who protect your freedoms separate themselves from those who don't. Vote for the ones who create legislation to protect you. 

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Couple points:

1. The entire anti-abortion movement is being fueled by White racists who are against WHITE WOMEN getting abortions (unless the baby is by a man of color) because their agenda is to increase the White popuplation.
They don't give a damn if Black or Brown women get abortions....which is why you don't see them protesting, kneeling to Mary, and burning candles infront of abortion clinics in Black neighborhoods.

2. I'm not necessarily anti-abortion nor do I consider it murder.
It's killing...but not murder.....and I think it should be totally up to the woman and the father, not the public.

When it comes to the AfroAmerican population and abortion.....
I personally prefer QUALITY over QUANTITY.

We don't need to produce more Black babies who will just just to grow up and add to the population dope smoking, fighting, and going to jail niggaz.
We have enough of them already.
I believe we should produce more Black babies who grow up in favorable conditions that will produce positive productive Black men and women.
So if a woman is in a fucked up situation and is having a baby by a fucked up man.....perhaps she shouldn't have a child in the first damn place.

• Sad 1