Oprah’s Book Club Announces “Nightcrawling” by Debut Author Leila Mottley as Next Selection

Oprah To Host Interactive Book Club Conversation with the Author and Oprah Daily Insiders on June 30 only on OprahDaily.com

Oprah-Winfrey-Holding-Nightcrawling-book.webpLos Angeles - Oprah’s Book Club today announced the latest selection is “Nightcrawling,” the debut novel from Leila Mottley. “Nightcrawling,” published by Knopf, is available now wherever books are sold. Oprah will sit down with the author alongside Oprah Daily Insiders for an interactive book club gathering on Thursday, June 30, in addition to immersive editorial content being available for readers on OprahDaily.com, the online hub of Oprah’s Book Club.

Oprah announced the selection on CBS Mornings, as Mottley then joined the hosts in-studio to discuss the latest Oprah’s Book Club selection and the surprising way she found out her novel was being chosen. You can view the CBS Mornings segment HERE.

“It brings me great joy to introduce readers to new authors, and this young poet Leila Mottley wrote a soul-searching portrait of survival and hope,” said Oprah Winfrey.  

“I was absolutely floored when Ms. Winfrey popped up in what I thought was going to be a regular meeting,” said Leila Mottley. “It was the surprise of a lifetime! I am beyond grateful to be able to share my debut novel with the passionate readers of Oprah’s Book Club.”

“Nightcrawling” tells the story of Kiara and her brother, Marcus, who are scraping by in an East Oakland apartment complex optimistically called the Regal-Hi. Both have dropped out of high school, their family fractured by death and prison. But while Marcus clings to his dream of rap stardom, Kiara hunts for work to pay their rent—which has more than doubled—and to keep the nine-year-old boy next door, abandoned by his mother, safe and fed. One night, what begins as a drunken misunderstanding with a stranger turns into the job Kiara never imagined wanting but now desperately needs: nightcrawling. Her world breaks open even further when her name surfaces in an investigation that exposes her as a key witness in a massive scandal within the Oakland Police Department. 

About Oprah’s Book Club

Oprah’s Book Club connects a worldwide community of readers to stories that truly matter by today’s most thought-provoking authors. Readers around the world can join the conversation on Oprah’s Book Club across social media using @OprahsBookClub and on OprahDaily.com. All selections are available now on Apple Books in both ebook and audiobook at apple.co/OprahsBookClub, and wherever books are sold.

About Oprah Daily

In 2021, building on the mission and legacy of O, The Oprah Magazine, Oprah Winfrey and Hearst Magazines introduced Oprah Daily, a new multi-platform lifestyle venture offering audiences the content and tools to make living their best lives a daily practice. The brand features digital destination OprahDaily.com, offering the latest in wellness, culture, personal growth, style, beauty and more—including Oprah Daily Insiders, a special membership-only community where Insiders connect live with Oprah and each other in her monthly livestream The Life You Want Class; as well as with Editor-at-Large Gayle King, Creative Director Adam Glassman and other O personalities for exclusive events, videos, lives and more. The brand also publishes O Quarterly, a premium print edition published four times a year, available on newsstands and included with every Insider membership. Follow Oprah Daily on InstagramTwitterFacebook, and Pinterest.

# # #

• Like 1