Modern Media is Making People Crazy

There are definitely generational differences in how people view the world.  

I actually grew up in a dangerous neighborhood in a crime ridden city.  One could reasonably argue that carrying a weapon was warranted because there was a good chance you would be robbed.  But when I was a kid I was not being constantly fed a diet, to a handheld computer, of mass shooting from all over the country every minute of the day.

Today I live a a virtually crime free and safe neighborhood in Tampa Florida. but people are more afraid and concerned about security than I have ever been.  Packages can be left on my stoop for days and no one will steal them.  I can leave my garage door open for hours and no one will come by and steal something.  I can leave my doors unlooked and not one will come in.  There are very few crimes of opportunity. 

I live in a gated community, but no one here is rich.  One could also argue, that the fact anyone can buy a gun here discourages crime.  However that is easily disproven by the fact that crime is much higher in other nearby areas and elsewhere in the state.

I think the 24/7 news cycle which focuses so much on crime, and put on steroids by social media's emotion driven algorithms, gives people the false impression that crime is so much worse today and is making them unduly stressed.

If you consume a steady diet of social media you would understandably feel like you need a gun for the impending race war. That is a very sad notion, but again completely understandable.

Do yourself a favor, don't consume news on social media.  Slow things down and read a newspaper once a week, if you can find one :-)

@Troy, you're absolutely right about modern media and the 24/7/365 cycles of *news* folks are receiving constantly via handheld devices. 

While the algorithms work overtime feeding into fragile emotions, it will take a certain amount of re-education to  get folks to learn how to filter out the noise.

Otherwise, I know I'm in the minority around here when it comes to gun ownership.  But, I think it's absolutely necessary for black folks to legally obtain firearms and learn how to use them properly. 

I'm from a place where we believe that staying ready means you don't have get ready for whatever. 😎

35 minutes ago, ProfD said:

I know I'm in the minority around here when it comes to gun ownership. 

Well, it depends; here in the south you'd probably be in the majority. 

If you've every been robbed you know the robber generally uses the element of surprise where is gun is of little use.  Now you could of course shot the person in the back as he leaves.  But is killing someone over some personal items worth someone's life?

As far as having a gun for home invasions which rarely when you are actually at home.  The gun is more likely to be used by a kid to accidentally kill himself or someone else that stop a criminal who is breaking into you home.

Buy hey if keeping a gun under your pillow at night or on your person as you are out and about makes you feel safe -- by all means get a gun. I just think you'd be better off and safer spending  your money on a book.

As far as preparation for the race war. We don't manufacture or own guns shop in large numbers, so our supply would be quickly eliminated. We are also outnumbered and out gunned. ...why am I even entertaining this idea --  there ain't gonna be no race war y'all. 😉

• Like 1

@Troy and @Stefan make similar counter-arguments as it relates to guns. 

I understand  that unfortunately, some folks are victims of their own weaponry and/or folks get hurt or killed due to irresponsible storage, etc.

Despite the murder rate among black folks as reported by the media, most black folks are actually afraid of guns.  White folks know it too.

Again, I'm not only looking at gun ownership solely as a form of protection. 

If black folks start buying up firearms, it would be a deterrent to both criminals and race soldiers too.

Criminals are less likely to attack someone not knowing whether or not they are strapped. 

From personal experience, I know of far more instances where folks were able to avoid getting robbed and/or killed because they were able to brandish a firearm.

Situational awareness in order to avoid being the victim of a crime is another conversation.  But, it  aligns with legal and responsible firearm ownership too.

Amazingly, black folks will spend money putting alarm systems on their homes and vehicles.  But, the thought of having an alarm system on their hip and/or in a purse as a deterrent makes them nervous. 

Yet again, I'm not advocating wild west style vigilantism.  I'm suggesting personal protection as a deterrent and equalizer if necessary. 😎

17 minutes ago, ProfD said:

Situational awareness in order to avoid being the victim of a crime is another conversation.

Yes one can avoid being victimized by doing a great many things like not walking around flashing a lot of cash, not walking around inebriated, avoiding dark alleys in unfamiliar neighborhoods, etc.  The best protection perhaps is living in a decent neighborhood. All of which are more FAR effective than carrying around a deadly weapon. 

21 minutes ago, ProfD said:

Amazingly, black folks will spend money putting alarm systems on their homes and vehicles.  But, the thought of having an alarm system on their hip and/or in a purse as a deterrent makes them nervous. 

Again, the surge in alarm installations has more to do with effective marketers taking advantage of a population made hyper-paranoid by the media. Technological advances have made home security devices more easily accessible; albeit largely unnecessary.

24 minutes ago, ProfD said:

I'm suggesting personal protection as a deterrent and equalizer if necessary.

Living in a country where walking around with a loaded gun is necessary is scary.  Fortunately, we do not inhabit such a country -- even though many of us have become convinced that we do.

59 minutes ago, Troy said:

Living in a country where walking around with a loaded gun is necessary is scary.  Fortunately, we do not inhabit such a country -- even though many of us have become convinced that we do.

Texas has open carry gun laws and people do not seem to be afraid to live there.

A loaded gun isn't the enemy.  We should be more concerned about who is strapped and their ideology and intentions.

Solve the problem of racism white supremacy and the number of firearms can be reduced.😎

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, ProfD said:

Texas has open carry gun laws and people do not seem to be afraid to live there.

You are obviously familiar with Uvalde Texas. I was actually thinking about Texans when I made my comments.  I've spent a lot of time in Texas over that past year including the past month in Houston.    Nonexistent gun control laws did not thwart the massacre in Uvalde.  Even Texans, afraid of more shootings, are calling for some controls.  I doubt they will happen ... it is Texas

21 minutes ago, Troy said:

You are obviously familiar with Uvalde Texas. I was actually thinking about Texans when I made my comments. 

Nonexistent gun control laws did not thwart the massacre in Uvalde.  Even Texans, afraid of more shootings, are calling for some controls.  I doubt they will happen ... it is Texas

Sure.  Soft targets are everywhere. 

Texans also cannot understand how or why they didn't take that sumab8tch down sooner.😎

So arming teachers or having armed guards won't end school shootings. 

The shooting in Buffalo had a armed security guard. Or am I mistaken.

The only thing army people does is promote vigilantism and perhaps minimise the number of casualities

"Guns aren't the problem. Bullets are," is a quip attributed to Chris Rock - before Will Smith introduced him to the damage an open palm to the cheek can inflict. Duh.

And what is all this talk about a race war???  In response I have 2 words.  Stefan. Nels Can you picture these 2 black men on the same side,   following orders from the same general in a battle  to defeat the white forces?  It would be the equivalent of what happens on this board with Nels firing the duds that hamper Stefan's sharp shooting. Their foe would win in no time because the black army would be in disarray. The common foe of racism is not enough to unite blacks into a cohesive force because black right wingers and black left wingers are not on the same page.  Poles apart.  Think Candance Owens and Stacey Abrams.  

The only  viable showdown between opposing forces would be a clash of ideologies because this is what is presently dividing the country.   And what birds of a feather flocking together amounts to are 2 tribes.  And what, pray tell, would we call these 2 tribes????  Hummm, let's see.  How about - Liberals and Conservatives?  Liberals and Conservatives as in Democrats and Republicans.  Which brings us full circle - as the world turns.

i don't anticipate a race war.  When America collapses, it will be a free-for-all.  And who knows? The great melting pot might simmer and give democracy another try.  But, what do i know? 

Back to my cynic's corner. 

• Haha 2

Troy

There's an old saying in the media "if it bleeds it leads".

Many people often enjoy looking at tragedies and traumatic events because subconsciously it gives them a sense of comfort knowing that someone else is having a worse time than them.

Cynique

And what is all this talk about a race war???  In response I have 2 words.  Stephan. Nels.   Can you picture these 2 black men on the same side,   following orders from the same general in a battle  to defeat the white forces?  It would be the equivalent of Nels firing the duds that  hamper Stephan's sharp shooting. Their foe would win in no time because the black army would be in disarray. The common foe of racism is not enough to unite blacks into a cohesive force because black right wingers and black left wingers are not on the same page.  Poles apart.  Think Candance Owens and Stacey Abrams.  

Excellent point

Black people in America aren't nearly united enough, despite often having the same problems from the same origin.

@Pioneer1

I would never trust Nels or even Delano for that matter. I'm still not convinced Nels is Black and Delano seems too friggin' envious to deal with.

And I don't care for guns. 

I do not believe there will much of a race war than there will be a complete Republican legislative assault on the poor, the disabled,  mothers with young children, the elderly, the hard to employ and immigrants. Hit and run attacks, mass shootings and even some bombings may occur.

But front lines may not be static. 

BTW, "It it Bleeds, it Leads" was always true of local TV news. Not newspapers, which took time with their newsgathering. 

8 hours ago, Stefan said:

And I don't care for guns. 

I kinda figured as much based on your side swipes at my position on gun ownership.😁 

Again, it's all good.  Firearms are not for everyone.  Do whatever it takes to insure your own safety. 

Let me know how that shoe or frying pan works out when a shooter shows up.🤣😎

@Delano, yeah I did not understand the motivation behind @Stefan, but I chalked it up to being away for a couple of weeks an figured I missed something.

I actually thought the "If it bleeds it leads" came from the newspaper industry. In any event, it clearly applied to all media today, hence the outsized attention and coverage of mass shootings.  There was a shooing in Philly recently and I heard at least one outlet describe it as a "mass-shooting." 

In the old days I would not have even learned about this local Philly news story, but today it makes national news as yet another mass shooting motivating me to go buy an AR-15 to protect my family 😉

Mass shooting is misleading because it is defined as an event with 2 or more victims.

Of course, the media is going to sensationalize and spin it to gain more viewers and readers. 

I would like to believe most rationale people will not run out and buy AR-15s due to mass shooting reports. 

However, whenever the media sensationalizes a weather event or pandemic or potential food shortage, the same folks do run out and buy flashlights, duct tape, cases of bottled water, toilet paper and potted meat.  🤣😎

1 hour ago, ProfD said:

I would like to believe most rationale people will not run out and buy AR-15s due to mass shooting reports. 

Me too, but people are buying them.  Can you think of any good reasons why people are buying these weapons.

Yeah the media sensationalized every bad thing.  Man every time the media makes national news about a storm in Florida I get a text message from a well meaning friends and relatives asking how I'm doing -- even if the weather event if 100's of miles way from me. 

On 6/9/2022 at 10:10 AM, Troy said:

I think the 24/7 news cycle which focuses so much on crime, and put on steroids by social media's emotion driven algorithms, gives people the false impression that crime is so much worse today and is making them unduly stressed.

I do believe too, that the media is giving people a false impression and it sure is stressful, but I also feel that this is not just media hype. I think this is a deliberate act and the media is only part of the problem.

Just yesterday there was a new breaking story of a mass shooting near Camp David at some machine factory, but imo, it was NOT a mass shooting! Unfortunately, three people have died. But how can about three or so victims be considered 'a mass shooting'? I remember years ago, in Florida at a club called THE PULSE, about 50 people were victims of a shooting--NOW THAT WOULD BE A MASS SHOOTING, imo. 

On 6/9/2022 at 11:37 AM, Troy said:

...why am I even entertaining this idea --  there ain't gonna be no race war y'all. 😉

Well, it may not be 'a race war' but the way these issues are going, someone is trying to exploit the idea and because Black people are a minority, it seems like, if we jump and respond in a vengeful fashion, it won't be a race war, but a genocidal action against us. That's just how I feel.

We need to affectively rebut this exploitation against our humanity in some way though, but how? Should we just sit, wait and vote for the government leaders to come up with a solution to stop this craziness?

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Troy said:

Me too, but people are buying them.  Can you think of any good reasons why people are buying these weapons.

Many folks were already buying these weapons way before the media went into overdrive in their mass shooting reports. 

Now, I believe more folks are buying AR-15s and other firearms believing gun laws will change and make it harder for them to do so in the future. 

It's basically the same crackpots whose mentality is *their*  country is being taken away from them. 😎

3 hours ago, Chevdove said:

...but I also feel that this is not just media hype

Consider that the media hype is actually what makes you think that is more than media hype.  This is how our brains work.  For example, New York City used to had more than 2,000 murders a year when I was under.  In the last decade I doubt they went over 500, but people are under the impression that the city is as dangerous as it has even been when the opposite it true.  But when the subway gun man is repeated a bazillion times -- it makes you want to be strapped to ride the subway.

3 hours ago, Chevdove said:

We need to affectively rebut this exploitation against our humanity in some way though, but how? Should we just sit, wait and vote for the government leaders to come up with a solution to stop this craziness?

Good question.  But you must agree buying an AR-14 is not the answer either.

3 hours ago, ProfD said:

Many folks were already buying these weapons way before the media went into overdrive in their mass shooting reports. 

True, and not profits are up for gun manufactures every time there is a "mass" shooting.

• Like 1

The perception that New York City is dangerous actually is true.

One could be anywhere in New York City, on a bus, a subway, in a park, on a street, in your bedroom or living room, in a store, a behind closed and locked door, in a fast food joint and get hit with a stray bullet. 

This reality is not funny nor should it be dismissed. 

8 hours ago, Stefan said:

The perception that New York City is dangerous actually is true.

True? Compared to what, Utopia?  

I've repeatedly written that NYC is a far safe city now than it was 30 years ago, when it was an objectively a dangerous city.  Today, compared to other major metro areas, it is one of the safest. 

Is NYC crime free? Far from it. Is it, or the country, as dangerous as you might be led to believe by the media? No.

There is far more good that takes place in places like NYC, and the country as a whole, than bad, it is just the media does not coverage it nearly as much. 

I'm actually sorry you think NYC is so dangerous, because you simply will not enjoy it as much.  Besides you'd save a ton of money on ammunition if you did not feel it was such a dangerous place.

murders-nyc.jpg

Murders in NYC is now under going a sharp rise, but as you can see it is still far lower than it has been.  I do believe crime will continue to increase in places like NYC because people are struggling and that drive crime.  In the most recent year, 2021, there were 485 murders an increase over 2020 😞

@Troy

That's the problem with most folks. They take their cues from statistics and then the pundits who quote the stats.

Stray bullets, random stabbings and crazed knuckleheads completely alter the thinking of individuals who must live and work in New York City. 

The numbers of murders is not the defining factor. It's whether a person feels safe. 

Anyone can quote crime statistics. What cannot be tabulated are the overwhelming fear and dread of being a crime victim most New Yorkers feel. That cannot be quantified. 

New York City does not feel safe to those who are not rich. 

How a person feels is my point. The city is relatively safe, but people feel unsafe. 

Facts don’t matter when people are manipulated and deceived by the media.

3 hours ago, Delano said:

…but it is more unstable.

why?

Because it has lost its magic. It's a hard city but you could have inexpensive fun. Now rents are so high there isn't much that is inexpensive.

I friend told me no Chinese people live in Chinatown. That was a few years ago.

It's like watching the strangling of the golden geese.

Do any informal poll and ask Folks if they feel hopeful. It are they considering leaving.

You left because it wasn't worth it to you to stay.

I left NYC because of both life style and cost. 

Many people with low rents, folks in the projects for example, are literally trapped — they can’t afford to go anywhere else even if they wanted. Which depresses people.

There are still plenty of Chinese people in Chinatown I was there last year for dim sum, but it is probably like Harlem where many white folks are moving in. For example I’ve been in restaurants in Harlem and all the patrons were white.

Emerging artists musician poets and others can’t can’t adored to live in the city, so the city has lost a lot culturally.

The city however is going down. in my old housing project i saw more drug addicts than i have EVER seen! It was terrible.

Yeah if crime reaches the levels of the 1980 the city’s poor will be FAR worse off.

@Troy

We had a discussion on the increasingly costly rents in New York City.

I explained how the working class are being squeezed, how families are forced to share apartments and why the numbers of homeless continues to increase.

Ah, but don't take it from me. I only talk to several people who comprise the working class of New York City. Folks can check the link.

Soaring rents in New York City

10 hours ago, Troy said:

There are still plenty of Chinese people in Chinatown I was there last year for dim sum,

Just because they are working in Chinatown doesn't mean they live in Chinatown. 

So even though crime isn't high there are other systemic problems. Part of why I mentioned stability as separate from crime.

@Stefan you won’t get an argument from me regarding NYC rents. I’ve rented three  apartments in the 90’s when things were reasonable and one from 2011 to 2017 — big difference between those decades. In the last apt my rent went from $2,900 to $3,700 and $300 for parking. I was sent an eviction notice and a $150 late fee for being 10 days late!

@Delano no i can’t tell where those Chinese people live.  I do know many live in Queens which has an even bigger Chinatown. 

I feel you on the “stability” thing, but unlike murders, that is impossible to quantify. 

@Pioneer1 so many people smoke weed today it is hard to believe. Weed smokers are as common as beer drinkers if not more so. Especially among millennials. For some it seems debilitating, some seem to really need it, and others seem to handle it — sort of like alcohol… hard alcohol is more physically damaging than weed.

Old school heroine users tell me one could function, hold a job, etc. the new stuff is what is turning people out into fiends.

14 hours ago, Stefan said:

I do not know how the average working person can pay their rent without taking in boarders or doing something illegal. 

Well a of of people are doing just that air BNB'ing spare bedrooms or entire apartments (which also puts upward pressure on rents).  The are a lot of tiny  (<900 sq ft) three bedroom apartments on the market where owners are $3,300/month or more.  People are splitting the rent three ways or more with no amenities and you still have to pay utilities and deal with rodents...

@Delano I don't know what goes into measuring consumer confidence, but I have to believe it is better now, for NYC, than in 1982.  what has been the trend of "index of consumer confidence" for NYC over the past four decades (or even the past few years)? 

13 minutes ago, Troy said:

The are a lot of tiny  (<900 sq ft) three bedroom apartments on the market where owners are $3,300/month or more.  People are splitting the rent three ways or more with no amenities and you still have to pay utilities and deal with rodents...

Multiple occupancy and incomes and shared expenses is a way of life for many folks living in expensive major cities throughout America. 

This especially seems to be the case for folks who want the conveniences of city life instead of moving out to less expensive suburban areas and commuting into the city for work and play.  

Unfortunately, the state of New Jersey serves as the suburb of NYC.  🤣😎

11 hours ago, Troy said:

@Delano I don't know what goes into measuring consumer confidence, but I have to believe it is better now, for NYC, than in 1982.  what has been the trend of "index of consumer confidence" for NYC over the past four decades (or even the past few years)? 

https://www.timesunion.com/business/article/Siena-survey-finds-consumers-not-thrilled-to-17067611.php

@Troy I said it years ago, and I repeat, the problem with crime <actions to harm another whether legal or not> is the goal from most people. if the goal of people is to have 100% no violent actions, no thefts, no illegalities  <meaning actions against the law>or crimes whatsoever, then kill yourself, cause a country of 300 million people, the usa or a humanity of billions, i think six billion, will have crimes/thefts/illegalities/violence. 

Most in this community have said or will say, we all know this. But the problem isn't ignorance , again it is the goal. 

I know it is a broken record from me, but again, the black populace in the usa is complicit in this. Before the internet, in the 1970s, whether black people want to admit ir or not, many black people joined in on white media and started this modern media criminalization. 

Every crime is a symbol of rampant violence, rampant illegal action is a symbol of deterioration. This problem stems before the internet. NEws papers and cable networks in the 1970s were already doing what the internet amplifies. 

So, modern media continuing with more vigor the media approach of the past is a problem, but the approach started in the past. 

I repeat, My bloodline has been in nyc for near over 100 years before my birth and what I gather from my elders is NYC was never the dangerous place movies/newspapers/cable network/ and the internet media venues have always suggested. 

Yes, babies get killed, mothers get raped, elders get exploited. But if you think about it, this has always been a very small percentage. NYC was at its most violent in the heyday of the prohibition. Ever since then nyc has never been as bad. 

But, when you have the religious communities who make every action seem like the rapture. when you have the media parading mourners whose sadness is deemed common in media, you get this narrative. the modern internet merely gives no respite, but the problem is long before the internet. 

Yes, yellow journalism, if it bleeds it leads, is nothing new. What is new however is the commercialization of the WWW.

The WWW put all the problems of the past on steroids and the impact on people is far worse as a result. People are far more scared, depressed, and anxious than is warranted. They are relatively safe — safer than ever, but are more afraid than ever.

Even white men are depressed, becoming addicted, committing suicide, stockpiling weapons, and voting for Trump. 

For money, Modern media is throwing gasoline and fanning the flames on all of society’s fears. 

• Like 1

Troy, I do think a lot of white americans voted for president trump due to the “ rubber band theory”.  When you have the media and many democrats advocating for open borders with no vetting, making excuses for violent criminals, creating new victims , and preaching socialism rather than hard work, you are going to get a lot of angry americans. I remember Obama preaching about why we need strong border security and how we cannot have illegal immigrants invading our country. Then he changed his narrative when president trump was elected. Americans really were angered by obama’s about face based soley on politics and not his true personal ideaology. That angers people !

one last note, people on cnn and msnbc get paid a lot of money to “ act” much more liberal than they actually are. They also get paid a lot of money to act outraged over issues they secretly arent outraged about. Trust me, what they say kn cnn and msnbc is a lot different than what they say behind closed doors.