Field & Track Women—Hairstyles

Field & Track Women—Hairstyles

I just want to reflect on something else today because I am weary of all of depressing media hype about mass shootings and killing Black people. So, I want to share something about spectator about spectator sports, and something that I like to watch that inspires me to be active and set goals for getting better physical, mental and emotional health.

The competition has begun! A few days ago, the recent track and field meets have showed up on my channel and I am amazed at these awesome and powerful beauties. And at first glance, it may not seem to be the main focus, however recently, what seems obvious to me would be the significant differences in the hairstyles displayed of some of the top Black female athletes from the recent past. Is this a brief trend? In the past few widely internationally broadcasted events, some athletes on the starting lineup were pictured with flamboyant and brightly colored or long, blonde, and bone-straight hairstyles. Obviously, it was done so to make a statement just as in the past some athletes donned unique and ‘signature’ uniforms and I am reminded of the late and incredible Flo Jo. But so far, in the few competitions that have occurred recently no one has started the line up as in the past events. My all-time favorite Track and field Olympian, Shelley-Ann Fraser-Pryce, whose other devotion, her hair salon back in Jamaica, stepped out recently with on the field with a lovely dark and braided hairstyle.

image.thumb.png.9b97d1399cbff6f640c8e23d8482103a.png

Shutterstock_12930297a.jpg

Shelley-Ann Frase-Pryce

No matter though, she looks adorable and so elegant in whatever style she has worn, IMO. Another ‘new’ world favorite athlete, Elaine Thompson-Herah has seemingly burst onto the world scene out of nowhere and now has become a household name for many. She steps onto the field with the most lovely and classy type hairstyles recently but, for me it’s her glow and her smile that shows her beauty.

Elaine_Thompson-Herah_2022-Puerto_Rico_A

Elaine Thompson-Herah

image.png.4eb7ff916d92aa37d6d64301b774ad58.png

USATSI_18381728-scaled-e1653852442266-76

And to my surprise, our own American athlete stepped out with a beautiful appearance, Sha’Carri Richardson. She already wins hands down on being a beauty anyway though, but she also came back on the field with a blast. Richardson came in second behind Thompson-Herah in one of her races.

eugene-or-usa-28th-may-2022-caption-corr

Sha'Carri Richardson 

GettyImages-1164449992-e1618083579493.jp

These recent and awesome women of the track and field today, have inspired me to contemplate and do more research history about how Black African women have had to deal with so much controversy over our hair. And what new stories I have found! But as for now, due to so much talent today and the new winners, it gives me great inspiration to add some more new favorites to my list and to share.

Some of these athletes have consistently dominated their race so well, that it can be expected that they will be celebrated for a long time. Like Shelley-Ann Fraser-Pryce who has become a legend of all times, however, there are some new wonders. Of course, my other all-time past favorite also competed recently, Allyson Felix, and it was said that this would be her last time. But now, there are a few more lovely superwomen to cheer on such as that pretty girl, Britain’s Dina Asher-Smith, the lovely Swiss’ Mujinga Kambundji, Jamaica’s doll Shericka Jackson, our lovely New Jersey lady Athing Mu and the smart beauty who just dominated her race, Gabby Thomas and more. Ironically for me too, would be that although the past hairstyles have been eye-catching, what seems more amazing would be the age of some of these athletes who have dominated and won the foot race. This has given me the most inspiration to believe that I can get up and do something healthier to combat my health problems today. In my middle age though, I sometimes look back in time when I was younger and imagine myself sprinting that fast, but at the end of my dream I always have this re-occurring imagery of me coming through the finish line with a complete horrendous falling to the ground with a horrible horse-like uncontrollable breathing and inevitably ankle-rolling into a blundering crash with my arms flinging wildly and  hitting the ground first with one knee and then enduring a complete earth-smacking, elbow-knee roll, covering a large area before finally coming to a miserable end. This fear sort of reminds me of a time when, as a gymnast, my coach believed that I was a sprinter and so, she one day abruptly surprised me and moved the springboard far away from the horse and told me to sprint into my vault. I panicked. I was so angry at her and imagined that I was going to crash into that horse and kill myself. I pulled if off successfully to my shock and surprise. But now, I have also considered being inspired by an older group of athletes who run the marathon too. Nevertheless, the older track and field stars deserves the glory that they have earned!

Allyson Felix not only gave birth, but she stepped onto the field at the age of 36. And incredibly all of the women trailed far behind the Jamaican wonder Shelley-Ann Fraser-Pryce who stepped up to the challenge at the age of 35 and after she also gave birth recently. But now, I have a new favorite that stepped onto the field at the age of 29 and some sports experts believe that she stands to improve her time. This amazing PEARL recently came in close behind her American teammate, Sha’Carri Richardson and in another recent race, she stayed in second place behind Fraser-Pryce until the last moment, Jenna Frandini. When I think about this beauty, I think about Delano who also has some pearls in his life. Jenna Frandini replaced Richardson in the Tokyo 4X 100m relay and led our U.S. team to claim the silver.

image.thumb.png.30e6a30ca29a47a8f7d6be70d27777ef.png

Jenna_Prandini_US_track_and_field_in_201

Recently, Frandini clocked in at 10.75 in a 100m race. It’s impossible not to watch her run over and over and over again and not spring up as she approaches the finish line. Like Elaine Thompson-Herah, it seems as if Jenna Frandini might become another household name. So I would love to share some brief clips and videos of my inspirations.

At 35, Jamaica's Fraser-Pryce holds off deep field of Americans in Prefontaine 200m | NBC Sports

May 28, 2022

https://youtu.be/nfbJeOCU0pc

image.png.77379673767a4c2f1afac4f8c5ca3918.png

2015 Beijing Olympics—Allyson Felix, Jenna Frandini, Jasmine Todd and English Gardner take the Silver!

3YGTN5RTDZRNW4I3VC3IFQEO2Q.jpg

Jenna Frandini & Gabby Thomas in the Tokyo 4x 100 relay—Silver

June 4, 2022 – Jenna Frandini

Jenna Frandini 2015 100m

Shelly-Ann Fraser-Pryce Still Dominating At 35-Years-Old

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Repost videos -- edit 

14 minutes ago, Chevdove said:

This amazing PEARL recently came in close behind her American teammate, Sha’Carri Richardson and in another recent race, she stayed in second place behind Fraser-Pryce until the last moment, Jenna Frandini. When I think about this beauty, I think about @Delano who also has some pearls in his life. Jenna Frandini replaced Richardson in the Tokyo 4X 100m relay and led our U.S. team to claim the silver.

Jenna Prandini Finishes Behind Sha'Carri (10.75) in 100m at Star Athletics (June 4, 2022)

• Like 1

Black folks have always been naturally beautiful but that has never kept us from turning up by accessorizing  i.e. hair, nails, clothes, shoes, etc. 

I'm so very proud of our sisters who are not only beautiful in appearance and great physical shape but they're also smart and intelligent and savvy when it comes to handling their business too. 

As a counter to the negativity and stereotypes that come with obesity, it would be awesome if our athletes used their platforms to motivate black folks into becoming more physically fit too.  There is a  huge health benefit to being in great shape without training for the Olympics.

The accessories I cannot get with are tattoos and eyelashes.  I realize it's the thing among younger people.  I'm an old man.  Otherwise, I applaud their successes.😎

• Like 2

Man, is Pandini the fastest white girl ever? 

I think some of the sisters could shave a couple hundred of a second if their hair was less "big."

The sprints are one of my favorite events - thanks for sharing @Chevdove and providing a break from all the negative stuff algorithms like to shove in our faces.

• Like 2

Sha-carri Richardson got the shaft when she was disqualified  last year for testing positive for marijuana. Glad to see she has made an impressive comeback. I love women's track. Especially the Relays.  Sistas really perform impressively in that event.  These ladies are all following in the tradition set by Flo-Jo who was the first female track star to bring style and glamour to the sport! 

Thanks, ChevDove.  Assembling those pictures and compiling the accompanying info must've taken a lot of time.

• Like 1

The sistaz have lovely faces, but I'm not feeling the muscular athletic bodies.
I'm glad they found success in track doing what they do, I'm just saying from a SEXUAL point of view I'd rather be with an obese sista than a slim hard-muscled one.

Another thing too is, our sistaz need to chill on so many of them damn tattoos.

We already have color in our skin. 
We were Divinely Graced with the gift of MELANIN....no need to add ink to it.
Let the pale people ink up all they want, but let us keep our skin pure and perfect.

Italians are Europe's honorary Black people. 

And the Gypsies are Europe's honorary Native Americans.
I didn't know much about them until I visited Europe and saw them roaming around living totally contradictory lives to the rest of the Europeans in their environment.

• Like 1

We need to respect all. Let's not fall into the habit of those who oppress us by mislabeling another ethnic group.

The Roma used to travel in horse drawn or camel led caravans. Once called Gypsies, they suffered the loss of millions during The Holocaust.

They now travel in modern recreational vehicles. They are known as the Roma. 

The Nazis killed close to six million Jews in their extermination camps. But the Nazis also murdered nine million Poles, Roma, religious war objectors, POWs, LGBT folks and those who helped Jews escape.

• Like 1

Stefan

The Nazis killed close to six million Jews in their extermination camps. But the Nazis also murdered nine million Poles, Roma, religious war objectors, POWs, LGBT folks and those who helped Jews escape.

These are Caucasian on Caucasian crimes.
A "family fued"...if you will.

It may be sad, but it doesn't apply to our people and we shouldn't lose too much sleep over what White folks do to eachother because they'll put their fighting and differences aside to oppress you.

Edgar Hoover was part of the LGBT community...but that didn't stop him from conspiring to destroy Black leaders.

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/10/2022 at 2:47 PM, Delano said:

So thanks @Chevdove. Keep on Keeping on

Thank you much @Delano!

On 6/10/2022 at 4:33 PM, Troy said:

Man, is Pandini the fastest white girl ever? 

Lol! I going to get me some Pumas asap! 

On 6/10/2022 at 5:26 PM, Cynique said:

Thanks, ChevDove.  Assembling those pictures and compiling the accompanying info must've taken a lot of time.

Thank you. @CyniqueIt took a while, but as you said, I love this sport. 

Lovely ladies but....those tattoos gotta go.

Black folks already have color in their skin, we don't need tattoos.

Don't just sit up and copy what White folks do without UNDERSTANDING WHY they do what they do.

Except for a few remote tribes around the planet, tattoos were originally designed as a way for Caucasians to get more color in their skin.  LITERALLY. 

What is the source of this assertion about the motivation of tattoos, and the dismissing of skin art as something to be stigmatized??? it's more accurate to recall that tattooing  gained prominence in the military, among sailors in particular, who would get tattoos of anchors and flags, and insignias of their battalions, something that gained popularity among all branches of the service during World War II, and was considered a very macho thing to do. Hearts encircling the word MOM, voluptuous scantily-clad ladies, and girlfriends' names were also common images back then. 

Nowadays, in the year 2022, people from all walks of life get tattoos for a multitude of reasons and sporting one or two of them is considered very trendy. Those who go to the extreme and get their bodies covered with tattoos are kooks who tend to overdo everything. 

All the women in my family and their friends have  one or 2 tattoos strategically located somewhere on their bodies.  I, myself, have 2 small ones decorating my right arm, floral designs honoring my late husband and one of my grandsons who was killed at the age of 22. That's the appeal of tattoos; they are symbolic of something or someone very special in one's life and are a permanent way of honoring whom or what ever that might be.

IMO, tattoos are more aesthetic that the bushy, straggly, frizzy beards that are now so popular, particularly among balding men. Neatly-trimmed facial hair is OK but, those who outgrown their chins and jaws, or whose efforts just don't "make the cut", need to let their moustaches make the impression.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Cynique said:

What is the source of this assertion about the motivation of tattoos, and the dismissing of skin art as something to be stigmatized??? it's more accurate to recall that tattooing  gained prominence in the military, among sailors in particular, who would get tattoos of anchors and flags, and insignias of their battalions, something that gained popularity among all branches of the service during World War II, and was considered a very macho thing to do. Hearts encircling the word MOM, voluptuous scantily-clad ladies, and girlfriends' names were also common images back then. 

Nowadays, in the year 2022, people from all walks of life get tattoos for a multitude of reasons and sporting one or two of them is considered very trendy. Those who go to the extreme and get their bodies covered with tattoos are kooks who tend to overdo everything. 

All the women in my family and their friends have  one or 2 tattoos strategically located somewhere on their bodies.  I, myself, have 2 small ones decorating my right arm, floral designs honoring my late husband and one of my grandsons who was killed at the age of 22. That's the appeal of tattoos; they are symbolic of something or someone very special in one's life and are a permanent way of honoring whom or what ever that might be.

IMO, tattoos are more aesthetic that the bushy, straggly, frizzy beards that are now so popular, particularly among balding men. Neatly-trimmed facial hair is OK but, those who outgrown their chins and jaws, or whose efforts just don't "make the cut", need to let their moustaches make the impression.

1.  People from all walks of life worship a White Jesus too.
That doesn't mean it's proper or healthy.  It simply means they were CONDITIONED into accepting and practicing something that is not healthy or natural to their culture or very being.

2. Unlike tattoos.....beards are NATURAL.
And if you don't like them or they become a problem, they can easily be shaved off.
You're not going to "shave off" a tattoo.
So they are not analogous.

7 hours ago, Delano said:

I had two different mystics tell me they have to be balanced. Also if you have a sigil it also has to be balanced. 

@Cynique is the area tattooed more sensitive. 

@DelHummm. Interesting. I don't know if they would be considered balanced. I can  only describe them as  being perpendicular to each other because one is horizontal and the other is vertical so that together they resemble the letter "T". And strange that you should ask if the area where they are located is sensitive because, now that you mention it, it is sensitive and has always tingled especially at night in bed when it feels like someone is holding my hand, which the tattoos are located right above around the wrist area.  I've had these tattoos for about 15 years and they've always drawn positive attention. Last time I went to renew my driver's license, the tester passed me - because he had ones too, and said he felt a kinship with me.    

4 hours ago, Pioneer1 said:

1.  People from all walks of life worship a White Jesus too.
That doesn't mean it's proper or healthy.  It simply means they were CONDITIONED into accepting and practicing something that is not healthy or natural to their culture or very being.

@Pioneer1 nor does  it mean that that having a tattoo is improper or unhealthy or that people are conditioned to accept them, - except within the confines of your irrelevant opinion and personal prejudices. Not to mention that painting and decorating the body quite possibly originated with Africans and Native Americans. 

4 hours ago, Pioneer1 said:

2. Unlike tattoos.....beards are NATURAL.
And if you don't like them or they become a problem, they can easily be shaved off.
You're not going to "shave off" a tattoo.
So they are not analogous.

@Pioneer1They are analogous in that they are both trends in today's pop culture. Whether you can shave off a beard which is natural and not a tattoo which is artificial, has nothing to do with the subject; just another of your false equivalencies

3 hours ago, Cynique said:

@Pioneer1 nor does  it mean that that having a tattoo is improper or unhealthy or that people are conditioned to accept them, - except within the confines of your irrelevant opinion and personal prejudices. Not to mention that painting and decorating the body quite possibly originated with Africans and Native Americans. 

@Pioneer1They are analogous in that they are both trends in today's pop culture. Whether you can shave off a beard which is natural and not a tattoo which is artificial, has nothing to do with the subject; just another of your false equivalencies

1.  A person of color getting a tattoo is EVIDENCE that their minds have been conditioned by White culture because you do NOT see them tattooing themselves in traditional African culture.  So where did it come from if NOT from outside of our own culture?

Decorative scarring?  YES

Pin on Tribal Reference

Tattooing?  NO

2. It's NOT a "false equivalency".  What YOU offered was a false equivalency by trying to equate someone growing a beard which occurs naturally with someone deliberately injecting dye into their body to permanently alter the image of their body.

12 minutes ago, Pioneer1 said:

. It's NOT a "false equivalency".  What YOU offered was a false equivalency by trying to equate someone growing a beard which occurs naturally with someone deliberately injecting dye into their body to permanently alter the image of their body.

That's your feeble strawman argument. I said, "IMO", that tattoos were more aesthetic than fuzzy straggly beards. All that other verbiage is you rebutting what you said, not what i said.   I repeat: what's natural and what's artificial  have no bearing on the subject!    

And, of course, as is your nature, you proceed to cherry pick and choose to ignore the multitude of pictures  of Africans covered in body paint. 

th?id=OIP.MfSlBnnO5iF18CiN45V-XwHaE6&pid=Api&P=0&w=252&h=168

Cynique

Honey child, your "opinion" ain't worth two rusty nickels rubbed together....lol.
You said what you said and TRIED to present it as viable argument before I pointed out how ridiculous that analogy was.

Furthermore...
BODY PAINT isn't the same as TATTOOS either because it's not permanent.
Just like you can SHAVE OFF a beard, you can WASH OFF body paint.

@ pieonear:The only thing you're anywhere near being outstanding at is, trying to divert attention from getting your ass handed to you. Your pathetic attempts to give your opinions some merit have failed. If you were half as formidable as think you are , you'd still be second rate.  BTW, did you ever find a new job or are you reduced to sellin bean pies. 🤣 

@Cyniqueit makes sense because it stimulates the energy meridians.  

Apparently pirates wore earrings because it stimulates the eye. Which they learner from Asian accupuncture. The foundation is following 5he move of Chi or energy throughout the body. India calls Chi Prana.

Which I have found relates to Sidereal time. One of the definitions is the four seconds it takes for the sun to move, life force.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Cynique said:

@Pioneer1 Hell, no. No reason in the world to think a dufus 🙄  like you would be good at managing women. 

That's why I'd hire YOU as the "Madam" to keep the other women in line.

Josh Denny on Twitter: "In the 80's, Della Reese was in Harlem Nights with  Richard Pryor, Eddie and Charlie Murphy, Arsenio Hall, and Red Fox - and  absolutely stole the show. The

"Pioneer, I TOLD you the girls are having a busy night tonight!
They already made you over $25,000!
Now leave me alone and let me get back to work!!!!"

On 7/3/2022 at 1:32 AM, Cynique said:

it's more accurate to recall that tattooing  gained prominence in the military, among sailors in particular, who would get tattoos of anchors and flags, and insignias of their battalions, something that gained popularity among all branches of the service during World War II, and was considered a very macho thing to do. Hearts encircling the word MOM, voluptuous scantily-clad ladies, and girlfriends' names were also common images back then. 

@Cynique Great point! 

This gives me more appreciation of the track women sporting tattoos. 

On 7/3/2022 at 12:14 PM, Greg said:

You have a wonderful sense of humor.

On 7/2/2022 at 10:15 AM, ProfD said:

Black folks have a sense of style and beauty that is often copied and/or admired throughout the world. 😎

Sense of humor!?

I just watch a classic old film and was reminded of the hairstyles worn that show Black women hairstyles were copied especially during the 1950 and 60s. 

Hairspray was used to old the hairstyles in place.