How to Be Open-Minded

Open-mindedness involves being receptive to a wide variety of ideas, arguments, and information. Being open-minded is generally considered a positive quality. It is a necessary ability in order to think critically and rationally.

This doesn’t mean that being open-minded is necessarily easy. Being open to new ideas and experiences can sometimes lead to confusion and cognitive dissonance when we learn new things that conflict with existing beliefs. Being able to change and revise outdated or incorrect beliefs is an important part of learning and personal growth.

https://www.verywellmind.com/be-more-open-minded-4690673

This quote from the article reflects a sentiment I often feel and expressed here:

“Dogmatism is sometimes an attempt to keep things simpler and easier to understand. By rejecting alternative ideas that might challenge the status quo, people are able to minimize uncertainty and risk —or at least their perception of risk.“

The article also referenced 5 personality traits, one being “openness.” If someone is low on the openness scale and they are dogmatic you will never change their minds. Whether the subject is a political belief, a religious one, or a racial stereotype, these people hold onto beliefs very firmly. 

• Like 1

We should give a slight nod to those who have the courage of their convictions. Being open minded can also include wishy washy fence sitters who just shrug their shoulders when it comes to issues.  Open mindedness is best practiced when it proceeds taking a position. 

i am not always open minded, but i am aware of the fact that emotions influence my biases.  When it comes to liberals and conservatives, i admit that I usually side with Liberals because I like them. They're cooler and more personable and compassionate and humorous than conservative stiffs who are square and corny and sappy.

• Like 2

I was about to say you need to be curious to have an open mind - and then I looked at the article and curiosity was number 1!  I used to believe critical thinking was key to intelligence - but now I’m leaning towards curiosity and creativity. In fact, if it’s true we only use 10 percent of the brain’s capacity -then 90 percent is iMAGInation. 🪄

• Like 3

14 hours ago, Delano said:

I feel that curiosity and creativity are crucial. However without critical thinking how can you revaluate your options?

Note: this is a theory - something I'd been thinking about recently. 

Consider this: 

Critical thinking may be a sculpting tool of 90 percent - creativity and imagination—the beyond reality, quixotic that makes up our intelligence. 

Critical thinking, inductive and deductive reasoning, allows us to use the information for solutions in the current paradigm. 

Maybe this is why 

"the species that survives is the one that is able best to adapt and adjust to the changing environment in which it finds itself." ~Leon C. Megginson 

I think a closed mind will communicate to manipulate. Still, an open mind will relate (commune) with others and adjust their perspective to the other's wavelength.

BTW, I love how we've been (consciously/subconsciously) exploring communing vs. communication. Thank you for the initial observation! 

Critical thinking is absolutely necessary when it comes to solving problems especially in environments filled with them. 

IMO, curiosity and creativity brings balance and peace.  That's what makes art and music so important to humanity. It calms and soothes the soul. 😎

• Like 1

I make a distinction among the following a person that is not open minded, intolerant, or non conceptual. It is the last two that I find difficult.

I have had conversations with racists and felt heard. I have also had interactions with with people who consider themselves open minded. So it's not important what category  a person is or group the belong to it's about their ability to listen to a different perspective without arrogance .

4 hours ago, Mel Hopkins said:

(consciously/subconsciously) exploring communing vs. communication. Thank you for the initial observation! 

In the last two years I have been looking very deeply at communication. And situations where it works and those that it doesn't. 

I now have a meta conversation to see if we can have a conversation.

I have noticed the following interactions or reactions: receptivity; combative; resistance; revelatory. So a conversation cam start one way and end in any of the other ways. However I decide early on how much effort I want to expend.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, ProfD said:

Critical thinking is absolutely necessary when it comes to solving problems especially in environments filled with them. 

I put a premium on critical thinking as at the end of the process that starts with curiosity and creativity.

Imagination. Is more important than knowledge.

Albert Einstein

• Like 1

On 6/22/2022 at 3:21 AM, Cynique said:

We should give a slight nod to those who have the courage of their convictions. Being open minded can also include wishy washy fence sitters who just shrug their shoulders when it comes to issues.  Open mindedness is best practiced when it proceeds taking a position. 

One of my goals is to be so open minded that I don't have a position that I  feel the need to defend.

On 6/22/2022 at 3:21 AM, Cynique said:

One of my goals is to be so open minded that I don't have a position that I  feel the need to defend.

13 minutes ago, Delano said:

@DelanoA liberating endeavor! I'm on a similar path, very close to reaching the point where I don't give a damn about anything. 😁

• Like 1

@DelAs you know, yesterday was the summer solstice, so I just took it all in.  Here, it was a beautiful, blue-skied, warm, balmy day. I went for a slow leisurely walk, and that evening i went back out to stare at the sky. Awesome. Now we are headed for the darkness of the winter solstice.  i don't know what lies ahead, but whatever will be will be...

We had the Winter Solstice so now the light of the world is coming back. Jesus was dead for three days and then he was risen. The light came back to the world. So on the winter sostice the sun appears to be stationary and then it starts moving. Which signals that the days are getting longer.

image.thumb.png.f076382197f852cd469000b1f18ed672.png