Does the end of Abortion Matter to Blacks ?

Abortion is not a Constitutional right that's the ruling handed down by the Supreme Court in a 5 to 4 decision today.

Does it matter to black woman who bear the dual burdens of racism and sexism ?

Perhaps black people are more tradititraditionalist and concerned with taking care of their children in a confusing, conflicted, and unstable world.

Does this matter to us ? Or is this the white man's fight ? I have my own views, but I'm interested in others' thoughts.

Depends on the state in which one lives and how that state chooses to deal with it.

Thirteen (13) states have trigger laws that went into effect as soon as the SCOTUS decision came down.

It will be interesting to see how America plans to raise and take care of these children especially if the biological parents have no desire to do it. 😎

• Like 2

Roe vs Wade does NOT effect the Black community. Blacks do not really get abortions anyway. I dont condone abortion but Blacks do need to start being much more responsible when it comes to birth contol. After all, most planned parethoods are located in black neighborhoods so there are no excuses. Then again everyone has access to cheap condoms even blacks.

I wish the 'right-to-lifers" would be willing to exert the same energy and passion to preserving the lives of those who have actually been born.  Support for quality universal health care would be a good start.

To answer your question directly, anything that is bad for American people in general is almost always worse for Black people in particular.  That said, this decision transcends race.  It effects everyone.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

@KENNETH Abortion has always been a luke warm issue in the black community because  an unplanned pregnancy  that results in bringing a baby into an unstable environment is something that dates back to slavery days, and is an experience  imprinted on the black psyche, which instinctively adjusts to adverse situations. So having a baby is something many black females just take in their stride...  Society doesn't seem to care about this. Nor is there any concern emanating from the conservative ranks of latter day slave masters  masquerading as pro-lifers about the plight of such children. 

There is, however, a tendency among certain blacks to be lax in critical thinking when it comes to this issue.   The situation isn't exclusively about abortion; it's about control. Those with the authority to make a woman have a baby, can also force her to not have a baby. The only person who has the right to exercise control over a woman's body is the woman, herself! Black people should be very leery about laws that intrude on an individual's personal choices. These insidious bans can be a gateway to enforcing other restrictions.   

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

13 hours ago, ProfD said:

It will be interesting to see how America plans to raise and take care of these children especially if the biological parents have no desire to do it. 😎

Government work used to be an option now it's prison, the military or some other quasi plantation that pays less than market rates, for people that get less than market rates.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

16 hours ago, KENNETH said:

Does this matter to us ?

It should.  

Bodily Autonomy is guaranteed in the 14th amendment of the U.S. Constitution. SCOTUS, in a majority decision, says it’s a states’ right to make laws against someone’s body.   Today it’s a woman’s body. So, the question remains who’s next.  This was the final step before full-blow fascism.   Now we’re here. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

22 minutes ago, Greg said:

You clowns want to see fascism, read up on hitler. Liberals with no brains like to throw around the word fascism when they have no idea what it even means.

You're wrong on that point. The political right is pushing us towards authoritarianism. And with Trump and his followers Fascism comes next. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

20 hours ago, ProfD said:

The application of feudalism will be democratic among those without wealth.

Poor people provide entertainment. Will we see real life Hunger or Squid Game(s)?

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Cynique said:

Those with the authority to make a woman have a baby, can also force her to not have a baby

good point one i had never considered.

1 hour ago, Greg said:

You clowns want to see fascism, read up on hitler.

Someone without a historical perspective now telling people to read. Hitler did not pop up in a vacuum; he  emerged because of an environment you obviously know little about, so you are incapable of drawing parallels to today and comprehending Mel’s point.

• Like 2

Kenneth

Not only am I NOT "anti-abortion" but I'm FOR abortion in some cases, especially when the health/saftey of the mother is on the line.

If they make abortion illegal in certain states, I think it's going to generate MORE poverty and instability in those respective Black communities.

When you take away a woman's ability to abort a baby that she can't afford to take care of, you're going to state a snowball effect of all kinds of problems that will manifest themselves for years and years to come.

This ruling will definitely have a negative impact on certain segments of the AfroAmerican community....if it is allowed to stand.

Troy

I wish the 'right-to-lifers" would be willing to exert the same energy and passion to preserving the lives of those who have actually been born.  Support for quality universal health care would be a good start.

3 pointer from downtown!

The weird thing about these so-called "pro lifers" is that they are often pro DEATH PENALTY and PRO WAR !

Stefan

This is a woman's issue. Men need to stay out of it unless they can bring a fetus to full term. 

I agree that it's a woman's issue for the most part.
But it takes a man to help make that baby.
Seems like we can have SOME input since those affected will be OUR offspring too...lol

Abortion isn't ended, each state in the union has the right to have its own abortion laws. a black woman in NY state is in the same situation before the supreme courts ruling as after.
So, for black women that live in states that outlaw abortion what does it matter? well , most of those states are southern or midwestern. 
Now, the black descended of enslaved populace in the USA's oldest regions of living are in the southern states. Does this ruling matter? no. what matters to black people in mississippi/louisian/alabama/texas/georgia <outside the affluent blacks>/carolinas is the same thing that has mattered to black people in those places before the war between the states.
How can we be free of the environment we are in that is controlled by whites? The answer is still the answer it was, for most, no way and the black populace offers no opportunity as a collective to help. Most Black individuals have to fend for themselves.

Richard, you seem to be confused. While you claim that Abortion is a woman's issue, you still believe you and other men should mouth off about it because male sperm can get a female pregnant.

Have you heard about in-vitro fertilization? A woman does not need a man to get pregnant, just sperm and a freaking turkey baster. So no one has to call Nick Cannon. Or you for your opinion.

There have been countless women of note who used in-vitro to get pregnant and declined to release details. Of if they could not get pregnant, adopted. Sometimes twice. They did not need our approval.

In-vitro has been around since the 1970's. 

Stefan, I never said abortion is a woman's issue, nor did I say men should mouth off,  please quote where I said any of that. I quote myself

Abortion isn't ended, each state in the union has the right to have its own abortion laws.

and technically your wrong. sperm has to still come from males. now I know the scientists are working on knowing how to make sperm in the lab for mass production but even in the future that will not be a common thing. so even with in vitro males are still needed. Not for fornication,  but still to make the sperm to procreate.

Richard, I already said a woman would need sperm. The sperm could come from any male no matter where he is, from or even if he's dead. As long as the sperm can be made fertile to impregnate a woman. Humans can freeze sperm and eggs.

I doubt very much scientists can duplicate male sperm in labs for mass procreation. One reason is due to embryonic cells not being found in adults. We're years away from something like this anyway. 

Pioneer1, all a woman would need to get pregnant is sperm and a turkey baster. Men will keep trying to control women and stumble often. Because females are perfectly capable of choosing their own hairstyles, apparel and companions.

The only way men can overcome women's reluctance to be ordered around unjustly is to use their old standby tactics -  restrictive rules and violence.

*If* scientists could easily and/or effectively reproduce human beings in a lab, there would be no reason to ban abortion. 

It it was possible, scientists would just *print* the number of children required to increase their population.  With carefully harvested sperm and eggs, they could *produce* the type* of child desired too. Nope.  It doesn't work that well in terms of percentage.

Therein lies the difference between the Supreme Being (universe) and man as a scientist.  There is only *one* way that human beings can reproduce with a higher percentage of certainty.  It isn't IVF (in vitro fertilization) or turkey basters. 🤣

Every mammal is designed to have sex and plenty of it as soon as they are physically capable and mature enough to do so.  That's the sure-fire way to sustain population growth. 

The interesting thing about most animals is that they will euthanize offspring that doesn't come out *perfect* and/or is incapable of survival on its own. 

Unless it has been injured, that's why there are no handicapped animals in the wild.  Definitely no mental retardation or other deviant behavior.  They would be killed and devoured quickly.

OK...back from the animal planet...human beings have to keep f8cking in order to avoid extinction and/or a reduced number of people.

Banning abortion in America is an attempt to breed more white folks.  Their population isn't growing fast enough. They don't like the idea of living in a country where the minority majority will be people of color (non-white)  in 2045.😎

yes @Troy but what do all of those issues have in common? 

pro lifers say that regardless of situation you have to have the baby, the raped woman has to have the baby. 

pro death penalty , regardless of the situation you have to lose your life for your crimes, the legal systems inefficacy is irrelevant if found guilty. 

pro war , regardless of the situation you have to fight, even if the reasoning or background of a war has nothing to do with protection or security, you must fight it to mark your territory.

All of these positions are disinterested with the preposition. Allowing a raped thirteen year old an abortion she wants shows concern for her being raped , maybe she will have a more positive home life not having to deal with being a mom with no possible preparation. Allowing imprisonment shows concern for the legal systems faults, maybe he gets out in thirty years as innocent. Allowing longer deliberation before the troops are sent shows concern for peace in the future, maybe the lives not killed or mangled will lead to a better peace in that land far away

It isn't wierd, it makes sense if you look at what unites these desires.