How can you ascertain your ignorance?

I assume I'm ignorant in most cases.  One can not know what they do not know.  

We are all ignorant about something and ignorance is relative.  Sometimes you can tell when you are more ignorant than someone else.  But you can be so ignorant on a subject that you don't even know when you are being feed a lot of bullshit, from someone even more ignorant. 

I never comment on The conversations @Pioneer1 and @Chevdove have on the Bible, I don't know enough about the subject to even step foot into one of those conversations 🙂

• Like 3

Everybody is ignorant about something.

However when you're ignorant about something but THINK you actually know it....that's the compensatory definition of CONFUSION.

Most people are not only ignorant but also CONFUSED about the truth of this world.

• Like 1

When it comes to something I don't know, I'll admit it if asked a question that I either don't know and/or cannot find the answer. 

Otherwise, I enjoy a good discussion and will give my opinion regardless of my knowledge or ignorance especially if I can find humor in it. 😁😎

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Absolutely

If we ONLY spoke about that which we knew for sure and never guessed, estimated, or speculated.....things would get pretty boring real quick, lol.

Not to mention how SHORT and AKWARD conversations would be.

Getting to Know Us", LWV of Sussex County Virtual Social Event | MyLO

"Hello...how are you this morning?"

"I don't know yet.
Ask me after Noon after morning's been completed and I'll be able to answer your question!"

• Haha 1

Needless to say, i am very opinionated and hypercritical. And I didn't just gradually become this way over a period of time through extensive engagement with a broad range of people. It's simply an intrinsic part of who i am, and I have been argumentive since grade school, always posing the question "but, what if?".  

Fortunately, i don't take myself too seriously, and those who i take the most serious are, likewise, ones who can poke fun at themselves; these are usually the type who know the most. Knowledge is power, but modesty is endearing.

People are quick to call me negative, but i like to think of myself as being realistic, and chronic optimists bore me. Bottom line, there's always an element of mischief in my bantering. And believe it or not  - "i know that I know nothing."

Oh, and by the way, I'm old and world weary. But what do I know?

• Like 2

23 hours ago, Pioneer1 said:

Most people are not only ignorant but also CONFUSED about the truth of this world.

Confusion is just a special case of ignorance. Information may have been relayed to you, but if you are unable to comprehend it because you are not intelligent enough or it was poorly explained you are still ignorant.

21 hours ago, Pioneer1 said:

If we ONLY spoke about that which we knew for sure and never guessed, estimated, or speculated.....things would get pretty boring real quick, lol.

Can one speak about something they are completely ignorant about? I don't think so.  But speculation, pondering, and inquiry is what make life interesting.

21 hours ago, Cynique said:

I'm old and world weary.

Now that is an interesting topic.  You don't strike me a world weary as you still actively engage in the world.  Your rebuttals to Uncle Ruckus took time and thought to craft and I think we all were both informed and amused 🙂  A truly world weary person would have simply ignored UR, indeed they would even be on here reading this silliness 😉

Confusion requires some understanding of the situation. While ignorance does not. Further to the point, the definition of ignorance is lack of knowledge. If you have knowledge without understanding that is more likely to lead to confusion than ignorance.

Confusion is a state of agitation, ignorance is bliss.

Ignorance combined with arrogance is an unbeatable combination.

@Troy

Cynique

Fortunately, i don't take myself too seriously,

Neither do I.

FINALLY....we agree on something, lol.

Troy

Can one speak about something they are completely ignorant about? I don't think so.  But speculation, pondering, and inquiry is what make life interesting.

The key to having an interesting conversation about something you're ignorant about is to ACKNOWLEDGE your ignorance and admit you know little to nothing about that subject.  When you take that stance, you're usually careful not to let your emotions take you to a place you don't want to or shouldn't go.

The problem is, too many people are confused (based on the compensatory definition) and THINK they actually know what they're talking about and will get heated and hyper emotional at others.

Religion is an EXCELLENT example of this.

If you "know" beyond a shadow of a doubt that Jesus Christ is your lord and savior....that leaves no room for error or doubt.  So in your mind....anyone challenging those beliefs or threatening them is "clearly wrong" and quite possibly of the devil, lol.

Delano

When I used the word "confusion" I'm talking about the COMPENSATORY DEFINITION....not the commonly used definition.

What most people call "confused" is really BEWILDERMENT or DISORIENTATION.

IGNORANCE = lack of knowledge

CONFUSION = lack of knowledge WITH THE BELIEF of actually having knowledge.

On 7/2/2022 at 8:58 PM, Delano said:

Confusion is a state of agitation, ignorance is bliss.

I can get with that 🙂

On 7/3/2022 at 7:56 AM, Pioneer1 said:

CONFUSION = lack of knowledge WITH THE BELIEF of actually having knowledge.

this is not incompatible with with del’s statement. Though in your case one does not have to be agitated, they are just comfortable not knowing what they don’t know… until some one challenged them with greater knowledge, which can cause agitation especially if the new knowledge requires changing an existing belief.

religion is not really a good example, because it is based upon faith not “knowledge.” Knowledge exists beyond and is independent of what someone believes.

My belief in Santa Clause bringing me presents every year in sleigh from the North Pole is confusion but most of us accept the knowledge that our parents put the presents under the tree.