You're Wrong Cynique.....There ARE Illogical Questions!

If the premise the question is based on is illogical....then that makes the  question illogical.

Take Del's question for example..............

"What if you discovered that everything you believe is wrong"

First of all, if you "discovered" something....you obviously BELIEVE that which you claim to have discovered.
So that discovery is part of your BELIEFS.

Now if you're gonna claim that "everything" you believe is wrong....then you would HAVE to acknowledge that your recent "discovery" was wrong too since it's a part of your beliefs.
However that wouldn't make any sense because for that statement to be true.....you couldn't be correct about your recent "discovery/belief" either!

Like I said, illogical question..............

Pioneer consider the set of everything you believe. Lets say you are provided with additional, new information, outside your set of preexisting beliefs that says none of your set of beliefs are true.

I already know what you will do.  You will reject the new information and hold, even more firmly, onto you previous set of beliefs.  Consider your stance on multiple races and the genetic basis for it as an example. 

But lets dispense with with your argument for a moment; do you understand the spirit of Del's question, or do you reject that notion too?

• Like 1

Troy

Pioneer consider the set of everything you believe. Lets say you are provided with additional, new information, outside your set of preexisting beliefs that says none of your set of beliefs are true.

Hmmmm....ok. 

I already know what you will do.  You will reject the new information and hold, even more firmly, onto you previous set of beliefs.  Consider your stance on multiple races and the genetic basis for it as an example. 

MAN GET OUT OF HERE....lol.

But lets dispense with with your argument for a moment; do you understand the spirit of Del's question, or do you reject that notion too?

I absolutely comprehend his question and what he PROBABLY intended to mean by it.  However his WORDING of it makes it illogical regardless as to what he meant.

He said EVERYTHING YOU BELIEVE.

If he had said EVERYTHING YOU BELIEVED PRIOR TO your discovery..it would have been a more logical question.
But he didn't word it that way.

57 minutes ago, Troy said:

But lets dispense with with your argument for a moment; do you understand the spirit of Del's question, or do you reject that notion too?

I even went back and clarified what I wrote because I mistakenly thought Pioneer was right concerning the tense of the verb.

So good luck with that task. Troy

It should be stated that something cam be logical but be false or nonsense.

Knowing either philosophy, sets even conditional statements would be helpful.

5 hours ago, Delano said:

I even went back and clarified what I wrote because I mistakenly thought Pioneer was right concerning the tense of the verb.

So good luck with that task. Troy

If you were MISTAKEN about me being right....then why did you feel the need to "clafify" it?

Troy

OK Pioneer, given. my clarification, Del's correction, and your apparent understanding what he meant, why continue the rigmarole?  Just answer the question, if you care to

Troy, the answer to that REVISED version of the question is relatively easy.

If I had discovered that everything I had BELIEVED up until that point of revelation was wrong....I'd simply start believing the truth as I know it and modify my life accordingly.

But this is VERY hypothetical question because to discover that "everything" you believed up until that point was wrong would shake you to the very core and probably make you question Reality itself. 

2 hours ago, Pioneer1 said:

that point would shake you to the very core and probably make you question Reality itself.

I would question my ability or in this case inability to recognise the truth. Or my faulty powers of perception . There's at least one of the option...

If you question all assumptions you will most like see or understand more than people who never question that they could be wrong.

So even though I generally don't agree with you. I had to go back and check. Then I rechecked and thought about the sentence structure. So even though I posted two corrections you never went back and read my original quote.

The first correction you assumed that you were right and I was wrong.

In the second you didn't bother checking since you assumed I doubted myself and had been wrong twice. 

The first time I was wrong about being wrong.

It's a waste of time arguing with Pioneer.  As long as he states his own premise, he will always reach the                conclusion that supports what he is declaring to be true.   Which is why i reject his premise that - "if you "discovered" something....you obviously BELIEVE that which you claim to have discovered. So that discovery is part of your BELIEFS."  As is his tactic, he inserts the word "obvious" into his assertions, - a subliminal power-of-suggestion ploy. But it is not "obvious" that what you discover, you automatically believe.  You can discover an enigma that leaves you neutral .   

Furthermore, there are different schools of thought when it comes to what constitutes logic, and it depends on where you're coming from when you debate a question. 

That's my premise. and my conclusion is that Pioneer is full of himself, which is synonymous with being full of BS.                                                                                                                                                                              

Even though I addressed Pioneer. I had no hope of him thinking differently.

I can think of one instance where beliefs were shattered. Quantum Physics. I believe Einstein withdrew one of his theories because it didn't make sense but he was posthumously proven correct. I believe he called it his greatest error.

• Thanks 1

Delano

I would question my ability or in this case inability to recognise the truth.

I actually experienced this years ago and it lead me to re-arrange and re-evaluate the way I categorize the information I receive now.

So even though I posted two corrections you never went back and read my original quote.

The first correction you assumed that you were right and I was wrong. 

In the second you didn't bother checking since you assumed I doubted myself and had been wrong twice. 

I didn't notice any corrections you made because....

a) You didn't bring them to my attention and...

b) After  I decided not to be a distraction in your thread and exited it, I stopped keeping up with what was going on in it.

Regardless as to any corrections or revisions you may have made in your posts, the TITLE of the thread remains the same and that title is phrased as an illogical question.

18 minutes ago, Pioneer1 said:

When a person isn't willing to admit that they were wrong or mistaken.....that says something about their character

I am glad you have finally listened to what @Troy and @Cynique have been trying to tell you for years.

Naw just joking. I do find it amazing that you post this.

" The illogical and very theoretical (oxy moron) question... Is a thought experiment to improve your thinking. Your response is illuminating to everyone except you.

You are a concrete thinker. And so it ends.

The science of semantics and the mastery of the specious argument can turn reality into an illusion' and vice versa. Although i haven't discovered it, i believe truth is fluid. To me that is not an ending; it's a beginning.

Greg's input is conspicuously absent from this thread. Wonder why? LOL 

• Haha 1

On 7/11/2022 at 8:05 AM, Delano said:

You are a concrete thinker

6 hours ago, Pioneer1 said:

Concrete?
Or down to Earth

In the ocean of thought, you are concrete. 

Do you see the levity in that comment?

@Cynique when I respond to Pioneer I am not writing for him. I am writing to other members who I feel are open to thinking.

• Like 1