Black Excellence and genius

1 hour ago, Greg said:

A black genius? Where ?  I have’nt heard anything.

Well then why not go back to Creativity in Hip Hop. First we'll start with the Pulitzer, then we'll move in to the MacArthur Fellows Program or the Genius Grant. Then if you want to hear more we can look at all the Black people who have one a Nobel Peace Prize. Which is ironic because one of the Nobel brothers was killed in the production of dynamite.

By the way,the question you want to ask is more appropriately q "Who" rather than  "Where" Further to you poorly expressed point it requires you 5o look further than your verdant veranda. The green that I an alluding to is not lush growth but rather your inexperience with said topic. However you may not be interested in viewing other vistas. No matter the topic is more important than expanding your  views of said topic.

• Like 1

@DelanoDon't forget Toni Morrison who won a Nobel prize for literature. Also Ralph Bunch who won A Nobel prize for peace. Duke Ellington was also considered a genius in the field of jazz as were Charlie Parker, Errol Garner, Herbie Hancock, among many others too numerous to mention. Jazz is a bona fide American music genre. Greg is a not a well-informed, well rounded person.  He's a bore. 😴

• Like 1

@Delano, great thread bro.👍🏿

Dr. Gladys West helped to develop GPS technology. 

Ralph Gilles was the lead designer of the award-winning Chrysler 300C which only  became one of their best selling cars. 

Dr. Kizzmekia Corbett is one of the key scientists in development of the COVID-19 vaccine. 

AfroAmerican billionaire Robert Smith donated $34 million to pay off student loan debt for Morehouse College graduates. 

There's no shortage of black excellence and genius if one is willing to acknowledge it. 

No problem. Keep pulling those clay targets. I can shoot all day. 😎

• Like 3

@Greg your comments  have been of service to the community .  You out have made post that have United this community against an outsider. That is the solution to most problems. Class racial and sexual warfare is also won by divide and conquer. So you have indirectly provided the solution.

• Thanks 1

When we talk about a geniuses.....we're talking about people who are exceptionally intelligent or exceptionally talented.
I think the strictest definition focuses on exceptional intelligence with an IQ of over 150.
(Mine is frequently between 114 and 120 btw)

I work for a young Black man who I believe is a genius or near genius but like most people today I don't think his IQ has been tested.

IMO, measuring IQ is an exercise in futility.  It doesn't take a whole lot to figure out who's most intelligent and vice versa.

The real work lies in getting intelligent folks to solve problems and come up with ideas to make our lives better. 

There's no shortage of human labor.  It just needs to be harnessed and used to produce constructive results.   

The benefit is that folks would feel better about themselves and have less time to indulge in destructive behaviors.  

Unfortunately, this would lead to a better society.  The current system thrives on a certain amount of chaos and confusion.

The *smart* people are playing every aspect of human dysfunction like a fiddle.  😎

• Like 3

ProfD

Smarts and intelligence is measured in different ways, but IQ tests have a measure of reliability when they are repeated over and over again.
The controversy comes in when people don't like the RESULTS of those tests.

Many of them tend to be bias, but then again....a lot of people labled as stupid really ARE low in intelligence and they just don't want to hear it. 
Or we don't want to hear it about someone else.

There are reasons for EVERYTHING.

There's a reason why some of the people we know drop out of school (and didn't get good grades while they were in), can't seem to stay out of jail, can't hold a job, never read a book, can't hold a decent conversation, ect....
I put my money on low intelligence as the MAJOR reason although certainly not the only reason.

@Pioneer1, IQ tests definitely serve a purpose in this *system*.😁

I believe part of the disservice in our educational system is that it tries to fit everyone in the same box.

IMO, beyond basic reading, writing and arithmetic, young people should be educated according to their aptitude and interests. 

A higher emphasis should be placed on schools for science/math/technology and liberal arts and trade schools. People should be placed accordingly.

There are several reasons people under-perform and/or drop out of school. 

However, I believe if people are placed in an educational environment conducive to their interests and aptitude among similar peers, they will do better. 

There will always be varying levels of intelligence. A highly functional society can accommodate it too.😎

ProfD

I believe part of the disservice in our educational system is that it tries to fit everyone in the same box.

IMO, beyond basic reading, writing and arithmetic, young people should be educated according to their aptitude and interests. 

I believe this is the main purpose behind many of the Montessori Schools that are sprinkled around the nation.

They are favored by wealthy parents because unlike traditional public schools that teach children how to fit in and be good subservients and workers.....Montessori schools claim to allow children to develop the best of themselves and follow their natural path.

There will always be varying levels of intelligence. A highly functional society can accommodate it too

Absolutely.
This is why I've constantly said that this society should focus on building more manufacturing and agricultural jobs that pay well.

Not everyone is built for office work or communications and customer service.  Some people work better with their hands and being physical and this society should acknowledge this and foster it.

• 3 weeks later...

I actually had a conversation with Suzan Lori Parks a winner of the McArthur Genius grant, a Pulitzer prize winner among other accolades. I was at the Judson Church listening to a playwright read his work. I was the only one laughing. She asked me if I was a writer. I said no but , this writing is out there.

I also had the priviledge to hear Kelli Jones speak, she also later won a MacArthur Genius grant. She is the sister of Lisa Jones who colloborated with Spike Lee in his early days. The Jones girls are the daughters Leroi Jones aka  Amiri Baraka and Hettie Jones

In college, Parks studied fiction-writing under acclaimed writer James Baldwin. He encouraged her talent, calling Parks, “an utterly astounding and beautiful creature who may become one of the most valuable artists of our time.” He steered her toward writing plays, due to her tendency to act out all the voices when she read her short stories aloud. Parks graduated Phi Beta Kappa from Mount Holyoke in 1985. 

• Like 1