Something to consider

Black people are not monolithic.  There are political differences among us like anyone else. Moreover Conservative Black Republicans have become more visible and vocal since the Reagan Era in the 1980s. But I wonder if differences extend to dating and marriage among black people. Can two black people with very different political views have a relationship, and even be in love?  I know from reading this is rare among white people who tend to date, marry, and socialize with those holding similar political views. What about us ?

Edited by KENNETH

Just like religion, political views could have an impact on how two Black folks approach a relationship. 

The more interesting aspect of it is when two folks are already in a relationship and one of their political views changes. 😁😎

Kenneth

Can two black people with very different political views have a relationship, and even be in love? 

Absolutely.
Infact, some of the strongest attraction and passion comes out of couples with different religions or political affiliations.

Opposites tend to attract when it comes to the opposite sex.
What may turn OFF a person of the same sex may attract and turn on a member of the opposite sex who finds someone who thinks the way they do rather dull and boring.
A lot of women enjoy the challenge of trying to change a man to her way of thinking.

Personally, a lot of women find my views on religion and religious history quite attractive.
I've been involved with a number of women who started off arguing with me over religious differences.....lol.

ProfD

The more interesting aspect of it is when two folks are already in a relationship and one of their political views changes. 

Insightful pondering.....
It reminds me of that political couple who used to come on CNN from time to time.  I think James Carville was the husband but I forgot who the wife was and don't care to look her up at the moment.

1 hour ago, Pioneer1 said:

reminds me of that political couple who used to come on CNN from time to time. 

I think you may be referring to George Conway and his wife Kellyanne Conway. They're on opposite sides of the aisle politically.😎

The few cases I have observed when it comes to couples with opposing views have resulted in politics becoming an off limits subject between them, something they simply stopped discussing to keep the  peace.  I quit being friends with a women I'd known for years because she became a Trump supporter, a conspiracy theorist fanatic and a big fan of Fox news, and  i couldn't stand being around her. I do, however, try to be tolerant of open-minded people.

At this stage in my life. I'm set  in my ways. I'm not somebody attracted to opposites because it has also been my observation that an individual's personality influences his politics and the personalities of  people  whose poltical views are not aligned with mine, make them the type who turn me off.   Different strokes for different folks. 

Because they can be so divisive, politics and religion are off limit topics of discussion in workplace settings too.

The funny part is being able to tell which way folks lean both in politics and religion in an unspoken way.😁😎

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Cynique said:

At this stage in my life. I'm set  in my ways. I'm not somebody attracted to opposites because it has also been my observation that an individual's personality influences his politics and the personalities of  people  whose poltical views are not aligned with mine, make them the type who turn me off.   Different strokes for different folks. 

😏  Something tells me this lady was "set in her ways" looooooong before THIS stage in her life.

Infact....something tells me her "ways were set" probably before reaching adulthood, lol.

@KENNETH Why don't you post more often? I appreciate how succinct you are, something which makes your input even  more anticipated. I also like that you solicit rather than impose opinions and, like Del, don't feel the need to be a stifling omnipresence. Oh, well.  See ya when I see ya.   

• Like 1

Predictably, pioneer has to add his worthless 2 cents to what has already been said because not doing so would cause his festering gut to bust. He can never pass up a chance to prove what an unoriginal thinker he is. "Dank" is his favorite new word in his ludicrous attempts to be "creative".  🤣🤣🤣   Get a life, Loser.

On 7/25/2022 at 6:36 PM, Cynique said:

Predictably, pioneer has to add his worthless 2 cents to what has already been said because not doing so would cause his festering gut to bust. He can never pass up a chance to prove what an unoriginal thinker he is. "Dank" is his favorite new word in his ludicrous attempts to be "creative".  🤣🤣🤣   Get a life, Loser.

🤭  
If your ONLY friend is some part-time astrologist who lives  way down in Australia, you should be the LAST person to call somebody else a "loser"....LOL

37 minutes ago, Pioneer1 said:

If your ONLY friend is some part-time astrologist who lives  way down in Australia, you should be the LAST person to call somebody else a "loser"....LOL

@Pioneer1Oh, puleeze. With  5 kids, 8 grandkids, 8 great-grandkids, hundreds of FaceBook friends, and the luxurious option of solitude,  I'm a winner-  looking forward to celebrating my 89th birthday in August.   Not to mention that I consider all the regulars on this board my pals - with one dank exception.  👉🏽 💩.  Now, go back to doing what keeps your world from collapsing; believing that you are infallible.   😄 😁 🤣  

On 7/24/2022 at 8:38 PM, Pioneer1 said:

Infact, some of the strongest attraction and passion comes out of couples with different religions or political affiliations.

It is a cliché,  but I don't think opposites attract either.  I have the most fun with people who I commonality with. Some difference are tolerable but I doubt I could be involved with someone who is an active bumper-sticker-using, maga-hat-wearing, Trump supporter.  Now if there were a republican supporter because thet were fiscally conservative that is a different thing, and we could argue the relative benefits of that mind set...

On 7/24/2022 at 8:38 PM, Pioneer1 said:

Personally, a lot of women find my views on religion and religious history quite attractive.

That is probably because you have studied the subject and have thoughts about it.  It is not an arrow in my quiver, but I know chicks like that in man, if they are religiously inclined.

On 7/24/2022 at 3:45 PM, KENNETH said:

I know from reading this is rare among white people who tend to date, marry, and socialize with those holding similar political views. What about us ?

I don't think we are any different, Kelly Conways aside.

• Like 1

Cynique

Oh, puleeze. With  5 kids, 8 grandkids, 8 great-grandkids, hundreds of FaceBook friends, and the luxurious option of solitude,  I'm a winner-  looking forward to celebrating my 89th birthday in August.   Not to mention that I consider all the regulars on this board my pals - with one dank exception.  👉🏽 💩.  Now, go back to doing what keeps your world from collapsing; believing that you are infallible.

Yada, yada, yada....

Anyway......

Troy

I don't think opposites ALWAYS attract because every man and woman is different.  Hell some women don't even like MEN and are Lesbian.  So obviously these rules don't apply to everybody.

However MOST of the time opposite demeanors of behavior tend to attract the opposite sex.
Not grossly opposite but within the range of "normal"...they tend to attract the opposite sex because a contrasting attitude tends to compliment one's personality.

Also, many women like trying to "change" a man into her way of thinking.  They love the challenge.  So that's how it's often attractive.

@Forum Regulars: Not only is this pioneer turd 👉🏽💩 a loser but he's a weirdo who has a thing for flies - and ends a sentence with a preposition.  You're right, Del, it's useless to waste one's time on something not worth it.  The toilet needs to be flushed... Done. 

• Like 1

On 7/27/2022 at 6:37 PM, Cynique said:

@Forum Regulars: Not only is this pioneer turd 👉🏽💩 a loser but he's a weirdo who has a thing for flies - and ends a sentence with a preposition.  You're right, Del, it's useless to waste one's time on something not worth it.  The toilet needs to be flushed... Done. 

That's right.....go somewhere and sit down.

I know how sensitive you are so I try to handle you delicately, but if you keep playing with this grown man I'll mess around and hurt your feelings by accident, lol.

And I don't want to do that.....if I can help it, lol

5 hours ago, Pioneer1 said:

Gurgle, Gurgle, Gurgle.  Gasp, Gasp, Gasp. Glub, Glub, Glub.

I'll always remember the wanna-be pioneer whose logic failed him, making him incapable of figuring out why flies buzzed around him 👉🏽💩. smh  Sometimes you have to flush twice. Here it goes again... Done!  (Something tells me that this deluded loser also couldn't figure out that I haven't lived as long as I have by being  easily hurt  or intimidated by wimps. The motto of my alter-ego, Super Bitch, is "bring it on". ) 

Something tells me that this deluded loser also couldn't figure out that I haven't lived as long as I have by being  easily hurt  or intimidated by wimps. 

Something tells me  as long as she's lived, she apparently hasn't learned TOO much or she wouldn't continue talking shit, lol.
As long as she's lived, she should KNOW better by now...lol

But I guess some people never learn....lol.

Guess her and her "alter ego" gotta be put in their place.
...back in that dark dank closet.

Something tells me  as long as she's lived, she apparently hasn't learned TOO much or she wouldn't continue talking shit, lol.
As long as she's lived, she should KNOW better by now...lol

But I guess some people never learn....lol.

Guess her and her "alter ego" gotta be put in their place.
...back in that dark dank closet.

'Guess pioneer got bogged down in the dank septic tank.  At least this saves him the embarrassment of being exposed as chicken shit. 

"It is a cliché,  but I don't think opposites attract either.  I have the most fun with people who I commonality with. Some difference are tolerable but I doubt I could be involved with someone who is an active bumper-sticker-using, maga-hat-wearing, Trump supporter.  Now if there were a republican supporter because thet were fiscally conservative that is a different thing, and we could argue the relative benefits of that mind set..."

I agree. I could not have worded it better for myself. I am reasonably tolerant of different views. But one thing I will NOT tolerate is Trump apologists and supporters. If they are so-called conservative/Republicans...we can debate policy and politics. I don't have a problem with that. But if you support the toxic and destructive "BIG LIE" of Donald Trump...that's where I draw the line. My issues with him have nothing to do with politics...it is his shameless pathological lying...nauseating arrogance and stunning ignorance that I cannot tolerate. And I also agree with you comment about "opposites attract" as no more than a cliche. Why would someone who is deeply religious be attracted to atheists? Why would a person who has no interest in sports seek out a sports fanatic? Or why would a homebody type of person be attracted to someone who runs the streets and loves going to clubs, bars, street scenes, parties, etc? Makes no sense.....

• Like 1

You have two major groups of Trump supporters............

1. Those who sincerely believe in him and see him and his presidency as an answer to all of their problems

and

2. Those who KNOW better and know he's a demagogue but find his charisma useful to promote their nefarious agendas.

Hey thanks to everybody for your feedback and encouragement. It means a lot. On the lighter side of this topic. I would like to see a black romantic comedy about a left leaning black man and a conservative rightwing black woman who manage to stop fighting with each other long enough to fall in love. Maybe a movie for streaming on Tubi or Vudu. It might be a good vehicle for Taye Diggs and Nicole Parker. It might be lighthearted way to explore romance, intimacy, politics, and serious issues from a black male-female perspective. Just thinking out loud.

Edited by KENNETH
  • Thanks 1

Kenneth

I would like to see a black romantic comedy about a left leaning black man and a conservative rightwing black woman who manage to stop fighting with each other long enough to fall in love. 

Perhaps the closest we've come to something like that so far is the interview between Mark Lamont HIll and Candace Owens....lol.

I don't know if they fell "in love" with each other but based on the suppressed body language between the two...the chemistry was definitely there.