The Race for Africa

Yep.  She's definitely providing great information.  Still relevant even it's old news now.  

Again, I'm disappointed that despite Africa having over 1 billion people, it cannot keep itself from allowing foreigners to cut it up like a Thanksgiving turkey.

@Pioneer1, it's not a lack of intelligence among black people.  They are losing to greed and power. 😎

• Like 1

4 hours ago, ProfD said:

Yep.  She's definitely providing great information.  Still relevant even it's old news now.  

Again, I'm disappointed that despite Africa having over 1 billion people, it cannot keep itself from allowing foreigners to cut it up like a Thanksgiving turkey.

@Pioneer1, it's not a lack of intelligence among black people.  They are losing to greed and power. 😎

But an intelligent person would not only realize this but take the necessary steps to rectify their behavior.
There's an old Black saying: When you KNOW BETTER you DO BETTER.

If you see a group of people doing the same shit over and over again, obviously they don't know any better.
You and I may know better, but most of these niggaz clearly don't or they wouldn't do it.

They are greedy simply because they lack the intelligence to PRODUCE the products THEMSELVES, that they are robbing and killing each other for to get the money to give the West in exchange for these products or services.

They may have a nation full of gold and diamonds but don't have the intelligence to build equipment to mine them, refine them, and process them into fine jewelry.

It's a sad state of affairs bro, but I have to see it for what it is.

History proves that all geographic regions have days of being dominated by the outsider. Sometimes it is lethal. Most times it is merely modulating. 

At the end of the day, the history of scrambles by outsiders of Africa to the African continent are lessons to the people in Africa. They are learning and one day, they will see how to be free together in their own way, whether if greedy or sharing or knowledgable or crude.  

• Like 1

She is not a journalist, just an anchor. Or as they say overseas, a news reader.

One of the reasons she leans on China so much is because she is Indian and a few years ago, China and India nearly went to war over the Himalayas.

Curious, did she touch on the Russian "international conglomerate" stealing Sudan's gold to fund its invasion of Ukraine?

When are people going to learn it is not the individual African that allows this to happen?

It is national leaders, national finance ministers and headers of global corporations that come up with the idea for these deals and then find or bribe folks to get it done

https://www.cnn.com/2022/07/29/africa/sudan-russia-gold-investigation-cmd-intl/index.html

Here is a story most are not going to like:

https://www.busiweek.com/turning-off-congos-looting-machine/

Everybody rags on China. 99 percent of everything in a Dollar Store is made in China. I love dollar stores.  The only way Africa impacts my life is to be irritated by all of the Nigerians who haven't paid their dues come over here and reap what benefits native born descendants of slaves have fought and died for. The moral of this story is... Ka-Ching! 😑

About Nigerian emigres: Goes back to what some of us say about understanding, cooperation and unity. Some folks just think they are superior to others and act that way. 

Dollar Tree was forced recently to recall about 400 personal care products from their stories because the items were expired.

https://www.yahoo.com/lifestyle/family-dollar-recalled-over-400-160300440.html

14 hours ago, Cynique said:

Everybody rags on China. 99 percent of everything in a Dollar Store is made in China. I love dollar stores.

Yes, I love Dollar Store too.

I am indifferent though about the conflict between China and other countries competing over Africa.

As of  yet, I don't know what to believe.

15 hours ago, Cynique said:

Everybody rags on China. 99 percent of everything in a Dollar Store is made in China.

It seems like 92% of everything in the USA is made in China or another part of Asia.

15 hours ago, Cynique said:

And, yes, with "inflationary prices, dollar stores are now $1.25 stores. 

Yeah, the Dollar Store ain't the dollar store no more. 🤣

In fact, Wal-Mart is cheaper than the dollar store nowadays.  😁😎

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/10/2022 at 5:10 PM, Pioneer1 said:

They may have a nation full of gold and diamonds but don't have the intelligence to build equipment to mine them, refine them, and process them into fine jewelry.

The system is rigged. Plenty of Africans have the intelligence to see through the game, but there are always power-hungry individuals who'll act in their own interests over those of their people. The Euro colonialists did a great job of setting up Africa to fail. Some of this is explained by Chinua Achebe in "Things Fall Apart". The English found the more dubious individuals in Ibo society, and put them into the gatekeeper positions. The traditional power structure was ignored. So... you get people with influence who are beholden to the colonizer, who were already somewhat alienated from their own people, and who therefore are more likely to act in their own an in the colonizer's interests than those of their own country.

If the intelligent. and more to the point, ethical, people make too much progress, they are "dealt with"... Lumumba, Obote, etc.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Michel Montvert said:

The system is rigged....there are always power-hungry individuals who'll act in their own interests over those of their people.   So...you get people with influence who are beholden to the colonizer...

If the intelligent. and more to the point, ethical, people make too much progress, they are "dealt with"... Lumumba, Obote, etc.

You are 100% correct. 

Unfortunately, most people do not have the will, strength or desire to dismantle the system. 😎

On 8/10/2022 at 5:10 PM, Pioneer1 said:

But an intelligent person would not only realize this but take the necessary steps to rectify their behavior.
There's an old Black saying: When you KNOW BETTER you DO BETTER.

If you see a group of people doing the same shit over and over again, obviously they don't know any better.
You and I may know better, but most of these niggaz clearly don't or they wouldn't do it.

They are greedy simply because they lack the intelligence to PRODUCE the products THEMSELVES, that they are robbing and killing each other for to get the money to give the West in exchange for these products or services.

This syndrome is not only afflicting Africa. I am from West Virginia. WV has been ravaged by timber and coal companies for generations, reducing the people to poverty and severely abusing them. YET West Virginians elect COAL company owners and execs to office all the time! The current Gov Justice is a billionaire coal mine owner. How many times have they been suckered? How many times have these coal politicians screwed them? Doesn't matter... they'll still vote for them. And currently they think their problems were caused by Democrats! The same Democrats who used to support the coalminers union! The Democrats who at least pretend to have their interests in mind.

They can't see past their coalmining job. Likewise in Africa, if someone is receiving a paycheck from China, they're not going to complain about China. This is an unfortunate shortsightedness which is common among humans.

• Like 1

Delano

A couple of hundred years ago there was a race for America.

It still is.
And guess who's doing the racing to buy up America?
Asians.

By the way, this is a good example of what I'm talking about....

Cynique said:

I don't patronize Family Dollar because it's not a bona fide dollar store. Much of its merchandize is priced for more than a dollar. And, yes, with "inflationary prices, dollar stores are now $1.25 stores. 

And I agree 100%....with her STATEMENT.

I've made the same observation about Family Dollar and Dollar General.  They aren't true dollar stores like the Dollar Tree (used to be).

Oh, she says absolutely wonderful things from time to time.

Spot on!

My problem isn't with what she says....lol..it's with HER.

...thus the ad hominem attacks, lol.

ProfD

It seems like 92% of everything in the USA is made in China or another part of Asia.

Ofcourse.
Because China actually cares about it's ENTIRE nation (to a certain extent anyway) and designed and economy where they have enough jobs for over 90% of it's population to qualify for.

In the United States...especially after the Civil Rights Movement....they INTENTIONALLY demolished it's manufacturing base because too many Black men were making good money and living a good life from them.

In Detroit, Black men were moving up from Down South by the HUNDREDS of THOUSANDS getting those good paying factory jobs in Ford, GM, and Chrysler and buying nice houses, nice cars, even funding their own small businesses.  White men saw this and got ANGRY and JEALOUS and tried to break up the unions and just decided to ship those jobs overseas to Asia and Latin America.
Where most of them still remain.

In China the government designed an economy where BOTH the educated and uneducated can make a good living for themselves.
It used to be that way here....until racism got the better of them.

Michel Montvert

The current Gov Justice is a billionaire coal mine owner. How many times have they been suckered? How many times have these coal politicians screwed them? Doesn't matter... they'll still vote for them.

If they are like most White people in the United States then they aren't really being suckered.  They are SACRIFICING themselves to be exploited in order to maintain the system of racism.
They know what's happening is not only unethical and against their own self interests as poor and working class  citizens.  However as long as a Republican governor comes along and pushes the right-wing ideology that Reagan and Trump have become legendary for reviving....they'll get their support.

It's not about the money....or atleast it's not their highest priority.
It's about preserving the system of racism and protecting it from all threats.

Most White Americans will willingly sacrifice themselves as individuals to do this.

2 hours ago, Pioneer1 said:

Delano

It still is.
Asians.

By the way, this is a good example of what I'm talking about....

Cynique said:

And I agree 100%....with her STATEMENT.

I've made the same observation about Family Dollar and Dollar General.  They aren't true dollar stores like the Dollar Tree (used to be).

Oh, she says absolutely wonderful things from time to time.

Spot on!

ProfD

Ofcourse.
Because China actually cares about it's ENTIRE nation (to a certain extent anyway) and designed and economy where they have enough jobs for over 90% of it's population to qualify for.

In the United States...especially after the Civil Rights Movement....they INTENTIONALLY demolished it's manufacturing base because too many Black men were making good money and living a good life from them.

In Detroit, Black men were moving up from Down South by the HUNDREDS of THOUSANDS getting those good paying factory jobs in Ford, GM, and Chrysler and buying nice houses, nice cars, even funding their own small businesses.  White men saw this and got ANGRY and JEALOUS and tried to break up the unions and just decided to ship those jobs overseas to Asia and Latin America.
Where most of them still remain.

In China the government designed an economy where BOTH the educated and uneducated can make a good living for themselves.
It used to be that way here....until racism got the better of them.

Michel Montvert

The current Gov Justice is a billionaire coal mine owner. How many times have they been suckered? How many times have these coal politicians screwed them? Doesn't matter... they'll still vote for them.

If they are like most White people in the United States then they aren't really being suckered.  They are SACRIFICING themselves to be exploited in order to maintain the system of racism.
They know what's happening is not only unethical and against their own self interests as poor and working class  citizens.  However as long as a Republican governor comes along and pushes the right-wing ideology that Reagan and Trump have become legendary for reviving....they'll get their support.

It's not about the money....or atleast it's not their highest priority.
It's about preserving the system of racism and protecting it from all threats.

Most White Americans will willingly sacrifice themselves as individuals to do this.

What you say is not untrue. They do sacrifice themselves for racism. Not consciously. That's not what they think they're doing. They're just being too stupid to notice that THAT is in fact the game being perpetrated on them.

I'm not saying this to defend them, though I'm "white". Frankly they annoy and piss me off infinitely.

But, to the point. still they are oppressed. They are exploited and abused. I've had conversations with poor whites and expecting them to go off on racist BS regarding black crime and instead they were saying mostly this: "Everyone pays attention to cops treating black people badly but they treat us badly also, as do the Courts. If you're white and POOR being white doesn't help you much." Ok, that's true from their perspective. I believe that being white still they are being treated less badly than blacks are treated, on the average. But the point stands. that they are being abused.

I think they may be more dulled-down than you realize. You perceive them as active and conscious participants in maintaining racism. I think that in many respects for many of them they are active but unconscious participants. Of course there are plenty of dedicated racists who are very conscious of what they're doing and they have very clearly bad intent and evil motives.

It's like in here people often complain that "black people don't stand up, won't unify, are asleep," etc. I'm saying the same thing about whites. Most workingclass whites do NOT see the privilege they have due to racism. They've been taught that whatever blacks are suffering is their own fault. When these whites are abused. then they complain, but if the abuse is economic they're also well brainwashed to believe that everything is great, the system is fine. it's all luck or the will of God or something. They're thoroughly befuddled. Bamboozled!

• Thanks 1

18 hours ago, Pioneer1 said:

@Pioneer1Who asked for, or really cares about an explanation for your "problem" with me. You're like Donald Trump  who can't accept the idea that he lost the election. 🙄 

On 8/23/2022 at 5:18 PM, Delano said:

How ironic!

Most of Europe was racing for America during the colonial days.

Now America has gotten fat with trade power, then eventually it has gotten a little lean, therefore... off to Africa... again!

It seems like America and many other countries have turned back and are now racing for Africa.

But it seems like Africa has endured this racing and competition for control over it before though.

On 8/24/2022 at 5:46 PM, Pioneer1 said:

It still is.
Asians.

Really!?

On 8/27/2022 at 7:44 AM, Chevdove said:

It seems like America and many other countries have turned back and are now racing for Africa.

But it seems like Africa has endured this racing and competition for control over it before though.

Africa has always been rich from human capital (slave trade) to natural resources including diamonds, gold, oil, natural gas, uranium, platinum, copper, cobalt, iron, bauxite and cocoa beans just to name a few things.

As a result, other countries waltz into and out of Africa taking whatever they want and leaving the African people with proverbial crumbs.  Sure, a handful of Africans become wealthy in the process but overall, the entire continent of Africa has been carved up by outsiders.  

Unfortunately, for a thousand years and counting, Africans haven't been overly interested in closing its borders to foreigners.😎

• Like 1

On 8/24/2022 at 8:15 PM, Michel Montvert said:

I think they may be more dulled-down than you realize. You perceive them as active and conscious participants in maintaining racism. I think that in many respects for many of them they are active but unconscious participants.

most of us, Black and white, are unconscious participants in racism. This is necessary to perpetuate the system, as we must remain easily manipulated into doing things that are not in our best interests.

Social media I’ve always asserted has become a tool in helping us to perpetuate our own oppression. That seems alarmist by some but they are many arguments one can make to support the idea.

4 hours ago, Troy said:

most of us, Black and white, are unconscious participants in racism. This is necessary to perpetuate the system, as we must remain easily manipulated into doing things that are not in our best interests.

Social media I’ve always asserted has become a tool in helping us to perpetuate our own oppression. That seems alarmist by some but they are many arguments one can make to support the idea.

Well I for one wholeheartedly agree with that last statement and the entire post.

Being unconscious, the unconsciousness of "the people", is the greatest asset the oppressors have.

All of us, by which I man all ethnic groups, genders, categories, are being manipulated. It is all very careful and deliberate. I could write a book on this, as i've been consciously observing it for a long time, and noticing how the "system" promotes certain behavior. And like sheep we all fall right into line. Very sad.

In order to accept and fear what so many people attribute America's turmoil to, one has to believe that there is an organized effort conceived and executed by a nucleus of individuals who are successfully manipulating the behavior of the population in collusion with the Government. Believing this means that you also accept the idea that if this was not the case, people would simply go about their lives, accommodating and interacting with their fellow citizens, practicing no racism, harboring no greed or desire for status, no hunger for power, and that the blame for this not being the case falls solely on the shoulders of the "they" who are routinely coordinating the actions of the many. You'd have to believe that human beings, if left to their own devices, would all get along and there would be no clash of values or culture, no dislike for the unlike. You'd have to admit that you resist taking the overview, or looking at the big picture, have to ignore that Earth's civilization is doing what it always does - mirroring the organized chaos of the Universe. You'd also have to ignore the idea that what you imagine sounds like the plot of a movie instead of the nature of this thing called Life. The Ancients experienced this, too.  That is why they created mythology and religion, - why the heroes of these tales were those who followed their own star. 

When it comes to social media, I have always contended that its critics take it so much more seriously than they do and that, by now, its participants know enough to consider the source when it comes to the output of these outlets. FaceBook is not considered an authority on anything.  Twitter is recognized as being politicized. These 2 and all of the others are forms of escapism. All but the most nave realize this and that they convey subliminal messages and can't be trusted.  

• Like 1

Troy

Social media I’ve always asserted has become a tool in helping us to perpetuate our own oppression.

This is true for two reasons:

1. Social media tends to give one a sense of anonymity and make them feel that they can post all types of vile and offensive material they wouldn't ordinarily say in public for fear of the consequences.

2. Social media platforms tend to be echo chambers where people settle into groups that share THEIR values, morals, politics, ect..So any offensive or even erroneous and outlandish beliefs they have about life or other groups of people are NOT likely to be challenged or corrected.

On 8/24/2022 at 8:15 PM, Michel Montvert said:

"Everyone pays attention to cops treating black people badly but they treat us badly also, as do the Courts. If you're white and POOR being white doesn't help you much." Ok, that's true from their perspective. I believe that being white still they are being treated less badly than blacks are treated, on the average. But the point stands. that they are being abused.

so true @Michel Montvert This system definitely benefitted from setting up caste system however, it amazes me how the prisons are also filled with White people and sometimes, I think their issues are silenced. Just recently a video went viral and all over the world about a police beating and it was a White man.

It is so bad, that I cannot watch it. but this is one video:

10 minutes ago, Chevdove said:

so true @Michel Montvert This system definitely benefitted from setting up caste system however, it amazes me how the prisons are also filled with White people and sometimes, I think their issues are silenced. Just recently a video went viral and all over the world about a police beating and it was a White man.

It is so bad, that I cannot watch it. but this is one video:

Yes. In many areas, cops treat white people badly. I used to live in L.A. I learned that if I needed to talk to an LAPD cop, find a black one, because the white and Mexican ones were obnoxious and hostile. I mentioned this to a black friend, and he said, "Oh sure, you're white! The black cops are nice to you! They treat other blacks like dogs!" I came to find out that this was true, that often the black cops were brutalizing black people to impress their white colleagues.

If they split the stats for "whites" by socioeconomic level, they would find that the poorer strata have a LOT in common with oppressed non-white groups. In Albuquerque a while back there was a syndrome of cops shooting white homeless people.

Very often it is no picnic being white. However, it is in most ways even worse for non-whites, which is why we pale-butts don't get much attention, and why those of us who are aware of this stuff don't push the issue, because we know that blacks, chicanos, etc., have bigger problems to worry about than abused white people. Of course, as always, my opinion is that we ought to all unite around all of this injustice. Many fingers, one fist, and all that... but I'm a naive idealist, apparently.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Michel Montvert said:

If they split the stats for "whites" by socioeconomic level, they would find that the poorer strata have a LOT in common with oppressed non-white groups.

Of course, as always, my opinion is that we ought to all unite around all of this injustice. Many fingers, one fist, and all that... but I'm a naive idealist, apparently.

I wonder why White folks aren't complaining about their socioeconomic conditions instead of trying to overturn elections and worrying non-white folks stealing their stolen country.

The system is designed to keep the poor, disenfranchised and marginalized separate. If all of these folks realized they shared similar interests and struggles and united, they could be a major force.

Instead, the majority of poor and/or  disenfranchised White people will gladly accept their station in life because they're still better off than non-whites.

A homeless white person  could clean up tonight and have a job, food, clothing and shelter in less than 72 hours. 

There was a video around here a couple months ago showing what it meant to be White in America.

One unemployed White couple got a $100k line of credit. They told the bank about their situation and inability to pay the bill. Didn't matter to the bank. They were good for it.

Meanwhile, a credit score of less than 750, an outstanding student loan and one jaywalking ticket will keep a Black couple bringing in $250k per year from being able to buy a condo because a bank won't give them a mortgage. 

Otherwise, I think it would be awesome if people united and started a movement to truly make America great...for the first time.😎

• Like 1

On 8/30/2022 at 12:19 PM, ProfD said:

Unfortunately, for a thousand years and counting, Africans haven't been overly interested in closing its borders to foreigners.😎

This seems true, but I just don't understand why. Why don't African people unify and close their borders or at least regulate them and be more conservative.

But then too, I am pessimistic.

I don't believe that even for the few that I believe do try to unify and stop foreign domination, I don't believe that they will ever succeed as a whole.

They will always be outnumbered by the Africans that are obssessed with non-African countries and have a lot of self-hate. 

For the few that are grateful to exist as they are, African, they will have to wait on a higher power. Don't misunderstand me @ProfDI strongly believe as you do, that Black people should defend and fight back, but I also believe that we should accept the reality that more Blacks are obssessed with White people and will fight you back harder than White people to be submissive under White Supremacy.

14 hours ago, Michel Montvert said:

Of course, as always, my opinion is that we ought to all unite around all of this injustice. Many fingers, one fist, and all that... but I'm a naive idealist, apparently.

Yes, I too believe in this too @Michel Montvertbut I am a little pessimistic that it will happen anytime soon, to the point that it will be affective. 

I think it is too much dissention in the midst and those of us who want to bond togehter and stop the top government from oppressing us as masses will always be undercutted by someone who will sellout. This really frustrates me. 

And then, when it comes to Black people, we have always been the security to be on the bottom, no matter what and opportunist can join our fight and then when things start to improve, it seems Black people get left behind. As I mention to you in another thread, my late father-in-law is Native American, and although I love him dearly and I knew he loved me and his son, my husband, however, the fashion in which he exploited Black people is unbelievable. The American Indians were not able to organize AIM until AFTER AAM. 

But evenstill, I am not usually the kind of person that worries about sellouts, if I feel a cause is just, I don't care who jumps, in, imo, they are in. if they sellout, I will roll with the punches... until humanity gets better or I die with that hope.

Now, I don't believe things will change without help from a higher power, but I'm all in on doing my part until that kind of help comes. 

9 hours ago, ProfD said:

I wonder why White folks aren't complaining about their socioeconomic conditions instead of trying to overturn elections and worrying non-white folks stealing their stolen country.

LOL. True!

10 hours ago, ProfD said:

The system is designed to keep the poor, disenfranchised and marginalized separate. If all of these folks realized they shared similar interests and struggles and united, they could be a major force.

Instead, the majority of poor and/or  disenfranchised White people will gladly accept their station in life because they're still better off than non-whites.

A homeless white person  could clean up tonight and have a job, food, clothing and shelter in less than 72 hours. 

There was a video around here a couple months ago showing what it meant to be White in America.

One unemployed White couple got a $100k line of credit. They told the bank about their situation and inability to pay the bill. Didn't matter to the bank. They were good for it.

Meanwhile, a credit score of less than 750, an outstanding student loan and one jaywalking ticket will keep a Black couple bringing in $250k per year from being able to buy a condo because a bank won't give them a mortgage. 

Otherwise, I think it would be awesome if people united and started a movement to truly make America great...for the first time.😎

Amen to that. It is true and well proven that discrimination occurs in housing, employment and lending, not to mention in the behavior of Police. However the picture you paint of how easy whites have it is not the norm. Banks will not give loans without collatoral. And don't forget that many homeless are mentally ill or drug addicts. They need help, not just a job offer.

Certainly the wool is being pulled over everyone's eyes, and whites the most, likely. Yes, I also wonder why they don't blame the corporations ravaging the communities, the employers who don't pay enough, and so on. This is why there is nonstop nonsense in the media feeding their fear and ignorance. Listen to Faux News all day and you'll be convinced your problems are caused by 1) immigrants; 2) liberals trying to make your kids trans; 3) black people for existing. They have been well brainwashed NOT to look at the real source of their problems.

Some of us (whites) see through the game. Most do not. It is very frustrating, for the non-whites wondering DAMN why don't these fools wake up, they're screwing themselves as they enable the screwing of others, and for the whites who think ourselves smarter than that, WHY won't the others listen? I've got a whole family full of them, virtually all have drunk the Koolaid and never notice that the things they complain about are NOT caused by those they blame for it! Makes me wanna scream.

1 hour ago, Chevdove said:

Now, I don't believe things will change without help from a higher power, but I'm all in on doing my part until that kind of help comes. 

Well I may be a leftist and all that, but I agree with you here. Making reference to the Maya, from whom I learned some things, they believe in cycles (similar to what Hindus believe) and they believe there are higher powers... and obviously so do I or I'd not have been able to relate at all to what the chimán was telling me. The view is that the deities AND the humans must be involved. Higher power is motivating things, and is opening peoples' eyes, but humans can't just sit around waiting for Jesus to come. We have to act on what we know is right.

I think without a doubt Dr. King was accessed by such power(s). He took seriously the notion that "I am crucified with Christ". He died for our freedom, and I mean all of us. In my opinion we all have the obligation Dr. King had, which he felt and articulated, which can be traced to Martin Buber's philosophy that we are obligated by our desire to please God to help our fellows... which of course is precisely what Jesus also said. The "glorious community" Dr. King mentions is this... the community of humans who understand that it is a higher calling to help the unfortunate than to accumulate wealth for ourselves.

I say you are doing precisely the right thing by "doing your part until that kind of help comes." That help has come, it is with us now. We can only hope that enough of humanity perceives the imperative and acts accordingly so that we're WORTH saving as a species. Sometimes I wonder...

• Thanks 1

On 8/31/2022 at 4:05 PM, Cynique said:

When it comes to social media, I have always contended that its critics take it so much more seriously than they do and that, by now, its participants know enough to consider the source when it comes to the output of these outlets. FaceBook is not considered an authority on anything.  Twitter is recognized as being politicized.

We will always disagree on this point.  Today most people get their "news" from social media.  Their feed is curated by a sophisticated and powerful algorithm. whose power is not taken seriously enough.

On 8/31/2022 at 6:25 PM, Chevdove said:

recently a video went viral and all over the world

Wow, they beat this guy like he was a run-away slave. I had not seen this video until you posted it.  Where did you first see it? 

It is interesting to consider that if the victim were Black it would probably have initiated riots, as in the case of Rodney King. How would Americans react if white folks took to the streets in reaction of a brutal beating like this?  

• Like 1

On 9/1/2022 at 9:36 AM, Michel Montvert said:

Some of us (whites) see through the game. Most do not.

Therein lies the stalemate. It's like any other fight, cause or bad accident. Folks are just glad it isn't their problem. 

As long as people do not see a problem, there's nothing to solve and/or fix in their eyes. Most often it has to punch them squarely in the face.🤣😎

• Like 2

19 hours ago, Troy said:

Wow, they beat this guy like he was a run-away slave. I had not seen this video until you posted it.  Where did you first see it? 

@Troy Yes they did! What in the world is wrong with our system.

Believe it or not, I first saw this video on WION, no other site showed any evidence of this. After I saw it, I googled and then found sites showing this from our country. But again, it first showed up on my channel from a foreign organization. 

19 hours ago, Troy said:

It is interesting to consider that if the victim were Black it would probably have initiated riots, as in the case of Rodney King. How would Americans react if white folks took to the streets in reaction of a brutal beating like this?  

I do think as in places like Oregon, White people will riot, but in this case, I wonder if our country tried to suppress it?

I think the masses on the bottom of America need to realize that power is the hand of a few and we are being thrown together and pushed down no matter what we look like. 

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Troy said:

We will always disagree on this point.  Today most people get their "news" from social media.  Their feed is curated by a sophisticated and powerful algorithm. whose power is not taken seriously enough.

@TroyDo you consider YouTube social media? You don't seem to have a problem watching and posting videos that appear there. 😁

@Cynique No, I don't consider YouTube "social media," but like social media I have problems with YouTube as well.

Still, I think you miss my main point. I use many of the platforms I have serious issues with from Amazon to Google to Facebook. You and I may be less effected by these platforms, but we are not typical,  We were adults when all of these platforms were introduced, so relate to them in different ways as we know how to move in a world were these powerful companies did not exist.  However, this is not the case for most people--they, I agure are more easily manipulated.

I actively avoid consuming information that is pushed to me.  I ignore my social media feed because I refuse to subject myself to the algorithm, as I know I'm not above being manipulated by it myself. 

On 9/5/2022 at 9:42 AM, Chevdove said:

I think the masses on the bottom of America need to realize that power is the hand of a few and we are being thrown together and pushed down no matter what we look like. 

That is precisely the big TRUTH which needs to be spread, widely realized. Dumb rednecks who think they're in control because of their white face... they actually will become angry and fearful if it is suggested to them that in fact they are oppressed and used. They'll divert to blaming "immigrants! Muslims! blacks on welfare! Democratic far-left extremists!" and other such nonsense. Nope, their oppressor is precisely the billionaire white parasite whom they stupidly ADMIRE!!! unbelievable

On 9/6/2022 at 10:54 AM, Troy said:

I think you miss my main point. I use many of the platforms I have serious issues with from am*zon to Google to Facebook. You and I may be less effected by these platforms, but we are not typical,  We were adults when all of these platforms were introduced, so relate to them in different ways as we know how to move in a world were these powerful companies did not exist.  However, this is not the case for most people--they, I agure are more easily manipulated.

I actively avoid consuming information that is pushed to me.  I ignore my social media feed because I refuse to subject myself to the algorithm, as I know I'm not above being manipulated by it myself. 

@TroyYou don't immerse yourself in FaceBook, but you seem to consider yourself an authority on it, convinced that in a nation rife with suspicion and mistrust, Facebook posters are the naive exception, - unlike the chronically vigilant folks to whom, algorithms are the latest Boogie Man. A Boogie Man that only naive people think can be avoided, done so at the cost of giving up one freedom to protect another. Ultimately, boycotting social media is a way for folks to feel good about themselves, assured that they are too aware to be taken advantage of. But pop culture is an important dynamic when it comes to the zeitgeist of any era and it is not some sinister realm to be villainized. It's all about keeping things in perspective. Manipulation exists everywhere.

Speaking of which, to me FaceBook and Twitter are microcosms of modern society, and are instrumental in delivering the world to your finger tips. Their political forums attract highly opinionate people who consider themselves "in the know" about how social media manipulates and about the clandestine forces at work to control people. You'd be right at home among them. As a source of news, however, they are no more influential than local network news stations ABC, NBC,CBS &FOX. (Everybody thinks where they get their news is the most accurate and reliable station.) 

Social media can also be a conduit to an organic spectrum of life in general, an online experience that can assist in broadening one's exposure, making  for a well-rounded, interesting individual conversant on a variety of subjects; not just serious ones.

So, our difference of opinion persists. 

On 9/7/2022 at 6:26 PM, Cynique said:

@TroyYou don't immerse yourself in FaceBook, but you seem to consider yourself an authority on it, convinced that in a nation rife with suspicion and mistrust, Facebook posters are the naive exception, - unlike the chronically vigilant folks to whom, algorithms are the latest Boogie Man. A Boogie Man that only naive people think can be avoided, done so at the cost of giving up one freedom to protect another. Ultimately, boycotting social media is a way for folks to feel good about themselves, assured that they are too aware to be taken advantage of. But pop culture is an important dynamic when it comes to the zeitgeist of any era and it is not some sinister realm to be villainized. It's all about keeping things in perspective. Manipulation exists everywhere.

Speaking of which, to me FaceBook and Twitter are microcosms of modern society, and are instrumental in delivering the world to your finger tips. Their political forums attract highly opinionate people who consider themselves "in the know" about how social media manipulates and about the clandestine forces at work to control people. You'd be right at home among them. As a source of news, however, they are no more influential than local network news stations ABC, NBC,CBS &FOX. (Everybody thinks where they get their news is the most accurate and reliable station.) 

Social media can also be a conduit to an organic spectrum of life in general, an online experience that can assist in broadening one's exposure, making  for a well-rounded, interesting individual conversant on a variety of subjects; not just serious ones.

So, our difference of opinion persists. 

It's like TV... a force for good, to inform us about the world, yet it ended up broadcasting mostly insipid nonsense.

The internet is repeating that pattern. Yes, you get to meet people from all over the world and broaden your horizons, but also nefarious forces are in there manipulating what info you see, what is allowed, and so on, and the big ones like Facebook are already notorious for these manipulations. I hate Facebook because they allow Russian propaganda, antisemitism, and other filth to be propagated freely but will attack anyone who confronts those things! I'm convinced that Zuckerberg, to use Prof. Snape's phrase, is "up to something".

On 9/6/2022 at 11:54 AM, Troy said:

Manipulation exists everywhere.

On 9/4/2022 at 2:02 PM, Troy said:

Today most people get their "news" from social media.  Their feed is curated by a sophisticated and powerful algorithm. whose power is not taken seriously enough.

On that note, I watched WION, an outside source on this very topic about a month ago, and for some reason, I've been thinking about these comment in relation to what she said. The spokesperson (of which is the same group at the beginning of this thread) spoke about how the western world has put out a lot of information on these very sites mentioned and she says that their propaganda is powerful. 

Whatever people don't agree with is "propaganda" to them . Every subject discussed on this board in regard to the ubiquitous subject of racism says the very same thing I read on FaceBook.  Everything bad anybody says about Trump and right wing conservatives here, is in agreement with what's said on Facebook, as is every positive thing said here about Democrats and Liberals. That's why all of the marathon redundant threads  on these subjects are ho-hum to me. Because I've heard them all before - on social media. Propaganda is a catch-all term.  Whatever. I don't do politics on FaceBook anymore because it's a waste of time. I scroll through a lot of articles and trivia and memes but the only people i engage with are my friends who keep me posted on what's going  with events and mutual acquaintances from "the old neighborhood". E also interact with the members of the 2 groups I belong to, one on Quantum Physics and another on Practical Existentialism.  (There are, incidentally, a lot special interest groups and fan clubs you can join on  FaceBook.) When a subject i happen to  mention  or show interest in,  results in my being spammed with a lot of ads, I just delete them. Simple as that.

I'm not trying to convert anyone to being a Facebook devotee, and I'm not claiming that social media isn't politicized or doesn't pose privacy issues.  What i am declaring is that I merely refuse to deny myself pass-times and amusements in favor of withdrawing from the public arena  to lead a sheltered life of chronic suspicion about everything and everyone. Screw it.  Different strokes for different folks.

You don't immerse yourself in FaceBook, but you seem to consider yourself an authority on it,

Cynique, you and I both know you don't have to immerse yourself in something to know about it.  I was never enslaved but I know it was horrible.  Still I've been a user of Facebook since it was invented and I've read a great deal about it and social media in general.  So while I won't say I'm an "authority." I know enough to recognize that it is not good for you.

But if you like facebook enjoy yourself; I won't think less of you. I'm just glad you have the spare time to comment here from time to time. 🙂

Speaking of which, to me FaceBook and Twitter are microcosms of modern society, and are instrumental in delivering the world to your finger tips.

Again NO! Twitter is absolutely NOT a microcosm of modern society.  You can't possibly believe that.  As far as delivering the world to your fingertips, whose world are you talking about?  My world is woefully underrepresented on Twitter -- it is the reason very little on the platform engages me (same for facebook).

I think the difference between you and I regarding social media @Cynique is that you dismiss all of social media media's negatives and extol only it's positives. 

I use social media, so I see some benefits.  I just believe, net-net, the world would be better off without it.  I firmly believe Trump's presidency would not have been possible without social media -- Twitter in particular.  What do you think about the @Cynique (anybody)

There is nothing that modern social media platforms provide that could not be provided without the powerful algorithms used to manipulate people.  Yeah, I know you think the algorithm is just an over-hyped boogey man, but I take it seriously.

On 9/9/2022 at 10:16 AM, Michel Montvert said:

It's like TV... a force for good, to inform us about the world, yet it ended up broadcasting mostly insipid nonsense.

I agree with this, but social media is FAR more powerful than TV could ever be.  Social media pushes content to you 24/7.  Social media is with you all the time.  reading our social media feed is something many of us do with every spare moment; before we get out of bed and before we go to sleep. I can't tell you how many guys I see standing at a urinal scrolling through their phones.  People seeming don't even take the time to reflect anymore, to be alone with their thoughts.

8 hours ago, Cynique said:

You are a more sober no nonsense person than I am.

Hmm… I wouldn’t describe myself as “sober no nonsense,” i need to think about that — even relative to you. 

@Delano what do you think about that?

Life itself can provide interaction and loneliness. Life like the phone, it all depends on what you do with it.

My phone does not have social media on it.

@Cynique i am curious whether or not you believe social media had any impact on getting Trump into office.

16 hours ago, Troy said:

Hmm… I wouldn’t describe myself as “sober no nonsense,” i need to think about that — even relative to you.

@TroyWe never see ourselves as others see us. I based my opinion on how impatient you are with what you consider frivolous or trivial things.  That's  why you hardly watch anything on TV except NET channels or documentaries. You aren't a fan of  sit-coms or even dramatic series.  You seem to despise  pop culture and have no curiosity about celebrities. You distrust the internet, particularly social media. Your first impulse is to be wary of anything that smacks of racism or the powers that be.  i'm not saying anything is wrong with this. This descsribes a lot of people.  To me, that's just how you roll. and  I consider that as beingno-nonsense and serious.  I don't regard you a "laid-back guy".

17 hours ago, Troy said:

i am curious whether or not you believe social media had any impact on getting Trump into office.

@Troy i don't know. Do people who claim this have ulterior motives?  Hillary did win the popular vote so she probably drew a lot of support from social media. Bernie die-hards who deserted her, along with suburban white women voting with their husbands, and the foibles of the electoral college were among the many factors that influenced the outcome of the 2016 election.

2 hours ago, Cynique said:

That's  why you hardly watch anything on TV except NET channels or documentaries.

I watched everything called labeled star trek, star wars, marvel, DC, game of thrones, marvel, Chappelle, boondocks, etc etc.  

No, I'm not a fan of sitcoms. I used to be, but not anymore.  I do like family guy and south park, but rarely watch them in favor of the stuff above (there are only so many hours in a day).  

I feel like I'm more laid back than "No Nonsense."  I'm pretty easy to get along with, I don't create drama or cause scenes, in public, I don't try to draw attention to myself.  

I give my unsolicited opinions here I find challenging my ideas or those of others fun and interesting.  In the real world, I don't get much of an opportunity to have a protracted debate with others without making someone mad or hurting someone's feelings.  Maybe that is why I run the forums and participate in them. 

Truth is non-nonsense is not incompatible with laid back... I guess I'm a laid-back, non-nonsense, Brother -- that is Gin without the Juice @Delano but still laaaid back 😉 

Do people who claim this have ulterior motives?

The people who claim this have the evidence. 

Hillary did win the popular vote so she probably drew a lot of support from social media.

It is common knowledge that Trump got more coverage, driven by social media, than all the other republican candidates combined. 

Sure there were "many factors" that influenced the outcome of the campaign but most of them can point back to social media -- even how the flaws in the electoral college were exploited. 

How else did people learn about trump and what he had to say?  The media mined Trump's tweets like they were gold, because they were!  Free coverage for Trump

7 hours ago, Delano said:

In the last 16 years I had a TV for a year and a half, but watched very little. Nine years before that I think I had a TV for maybe a year or two.

@DelSo?  My TV is always on. It is the background of my daily routine. I watch whatever captures my attention, grateful for my remote control, glad that that so many programs are provided for me to either look at or bypass.  it is also the source of any type of music i want to hear. For senior citizens like me, it is our "window to the world", along with the smart phones everyone else is so attached to. Best of all,  these devices can be instantly silenced by the press of my thumb.

23 hours ago, Cynique said:

based my opinion on how impatient you are with what you consider frivolous or trivial things.  That's  why you hardly watch anything on TV except NET channels or documentaries

3 hours ago, Cynique said:

So?

I was just referring to your statement about Troy's viewing habits.

• Like 1