High Intellect Forum?

I remember years ago when I first started posting on message boards there was this one British site I used to post on which was for the most part a typical message board where people posted their random thoughts, music, events, and ofcourse petty gripes and beefs back and forth.  However it had a VERY WIDE range of individuals from all backgrounds of society who used to post on it from attorneys to revolutionaries to college students to rappers.  The professional and academic people would often get tired of interacting with the general public of the forum and would go off to a secret spot where only they knew about and would "invite" who they wanted to participate.

This relatively secret spot wasn't like the general forum.
It was far more structured.....SELF structured and disciplined where members were meticulous about how they presented information and posted in proper grammar with links to everything.
Although I'd post in it from time to time I was more of a lurker but I was impressed by the professional almost "expert" like atmosphere of that section of the site.
It was almost like every post or thread was a college thesis.
Some guys would get in debates that would go on for WEEKS.
They'd take a break....post on other topics...and go right back at it with paragraphs of information in each post supporting their arguments and this would go for PAGES and PAGES.

Perhaps @Troy you could consider establishing a forum kind of like that here.

A forum strictly for "Intelligent discussion or debate".
The rules of posting would be much more strict not allowing too much cussing/vulgarity or personal insults.
Demanding links to certain assertions.

Ofcourse you can't really FORCE people to obey all of the rules like that and being banned would pretty much be the only recourse but it would operate on an "ethics" value system where a poster's integrity would be called into question for posting false material or making ridiculous claims.

I'm not sure how much participation it would get but it seems kinda classy to me.
It may even attract more intellectual types who don't care too much for the emotionalism and petty beefs of many open forums and social media.

I'm not sure if I articulated my idea clearly enough but perhaps some of you get the gist of my idea.

@Pioneer1, IMO, the participation on this discussion forum is already low.

A sub-forum will be even more lean and it will be the equivalent of one hand clapping. 

I'm enjoying the comfy chair here. Besides, I probably wouldn't qualify for a high intellect forum with my sense of humor. 😎

@Pioneer1

Dang! You surprised me with this thread. But I agree with ProfD that discussion participation is low.

This is why I always thought that certain trolls were invited here to boost the numbers of posts. If allowed to stay, trolls tend to push discussion forums into angry halls of rage. I ignore them because they exist to provoke outrage and distractions.

British managed news and discussion forums are much better moderated. If you say something dumb or ignorant, you will pay for it. This is one reason careful reading and wording of sentences are crucial in those. 

On other forums, you can create threads that call for uplifting and positive analysis. But there isn't much call for this in GOP dominated forums. Because the entire thrust of modern Republicans is to hate, to restrict and to hurt folks they simply don't like. They want unrestrained power and think they deserve it. 

Nope. I ain't shuffling like Herschel Walker. 

Stephan

Lol,....why are you surprised?

Actually, I briefly had you in mind when I considered a forum like that because you seem to constantly be going back and forth with Troy over certain material and you've also complained several times about not only the behavior of those who post here but the FORMAT in which some of us post our messages.

Well, in a "Professional Forum" or whatever you'd call it.....the rules would be sharper and clearer and stricter.
Based on more professional ethics where you would have to produce links for certain assertions and fully explain your argument.

Forums like this and the literature forums would remain as they are...but that particular forum would have different rules for posting.
Proven false information wouldn't be allowed.
Not that a member would be banned for it....but the info would be deleted if proven to be false.

Also another benefit of such a forum would be as a great place to challenge another poster to a DEBATE.

Again......
I remember debates that went on for weeks.....and some low intensity debates (similar to the one between Troy and Delano about climate change or something) that went on for MONTHS.  
I'm talking pages and pages of back and forth with nothing but words, graphs, ect.....and very few emojis.
It looked more like a scientific journal site than a message board but it was attractive to look at and stimulated the desire to improve one's knowledge on certain subject just to be able to participate.

The bandwidth of this forum can accommodate topics that lead to healthy discussion/debate.

The religion threads is an example of a topic that some of us do not post leaving it up to those with more knowledge, information and interest in it. 

I posted a humorous comment in one of the religion threads and sista @Chevdove piped up. 😁

A topic of high intellect discussion could automatically separate the chaff from the wheat. 😎

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ProfD said:

The religion threads is an example of a topic that some of us do not post leaving it up to those with more knowledge, information and interest in it. 

I posted a humorous comment in one of the religion threads and sista @Chevdove piped up. 😁

A topic of high intellect discussion could automatically separate the chaff from the wheat. 😎

I here you @ProfD and I so agree with @Pioneer1

2 hours ago, Pioneer1 said:

Indeed.
Self moderation and self discipline is a sign of maturity and high intellect in andof itself.

For me, I don't know where I'd place myself on the scale for intellect, but I do believe that this community that @Troystarted is so needed and if people try to come to the table and discuss topics, it can help us to gain better insights from others. 

I have learned a lot being in this community and hopefully it has improved my intellect and how to have better self discipline and mature in how I engage with others. 

Chev

You'd also be an excellent fit for a forum like that because you like to post a wealth of information about the Bible and history that many if not most people EXCEPT for the intellectually inclined will not take time to read thoroughly.

It's a shame for a person to take so much time digging up, formatting, and posting information so dear to them only for it to get ignored and float down to the bottom of the page or disappear because the average viewer is more interested in participating in beefs and online feuds than gaining insightful information they otherwise wouldn't come across.

• Thanks 1

28 minutes ago, Pioneer1 said:

You'd also be an excellent fit for a forum like that because you like to post a wealth of information about the Bible and history that many if not most people EXCEPT for the intellectually inclined will not take time to read thoroughly.

It's a shame for a person to take so much time digging up, formatting, and posting information so dear to them only for it to get ignored and float down to the bottom of the page or disappear because the average viewer is more interested in participating in beefs and online feuds than gaining insightful information they otherwise wouldn't come across.

Thank you much @Pioneer1!!!

I remember @richardmurray's telling me I need to write a book and still, I have not gotten the courage to do that yet. However, one of the suggestions years back was that people should join a forum. 

8 hours ago, Stefan said:

This is why I always thought that certain trolls were invited here to boost the numbers of posts.

What?!

17 hours ago, Pioneer1 said:

I remember years ago...

Yes you can stop right there.  Times have changed the rise of social media has changed everything.  

I'd have to dedicate ALL of my resources to getting smart people to have intelligence conversations and even then it would be super difficult.

@Pioneer1 do some research find an existing platform that fits the bill and please share it with me 'cause I will help promote it. I seem to remember asking you this before but never got any forums from you.  This will also help you determine if your idea is feasible.

Five years ago someone posted a list of forums and listed AALBC among them: https://aalbc.com/tc/topic/4315-the-5-best-black-forums-on-the-net/

Around the same time I Iooked around and found a few I thought LipStick Alley was the best of what I found (though it was not intellectually oriented) .  Then I was told by several that it was not Black owned....

I've been advised more that once that discussion forums are played out, antiquated, and that my time could be better spent doing other things.  But like you I find value in these conversations and the format. 

Social media conversation were different on many levels and I won't bore you with those detail.

The decline of discussion forums is one of the things that have contributed to the decline of the web 😞

10 minutes ago, Troy said:

I've been advised more that once that discussion forums are played out, antiquated, and that my time could be better spent doing other things.  But like you I find value in these conversations and the format. 

Again, I'm thankful that you continue to support and provide this space for discussion.

I haven't been around here as long as everyone else but I do enjoy reading you all and I'd hate to see this discussion forum shrivel up completely and/or go away. 😎

• Like 4

@Pioneer1

Why, I thank you for keeping me in mind.

The problem is feelings. Some get mighty upset when their opinions are opposed. When their lies are exposed. Some don't care for clicking on links.  

My suggestion to some was always to gather their thoughts, get someone good at filming video, tape themselves talking about whatever they want to say and then send it on to a social media platform.

Of if they feel they can get their point across in words, write a couple of paragraphs, then join a community at a major news platform's Website and post it. Or they can send material to Black-owned or Black themed Websites. They can also ask Candace Owens how did she get so admired in Trump World?

Discussion groups are not going out of style. Some of the best ones have really good mods. 

18 hours ago, Stefan said:

This is why I always thought that certain trolls were invited here to boost the numbers of posts. If allowed to stay, trolls tend to push discussion forums into angry halls of rage. I ignore them because they exist to provoke outrage and distractions.

@Troy how come you didn't think of doing this?

• Haha 2

This forum already is head and shoulders above most of them. I mean... reading groups? Too good to be true!

2 big problems with forums:

1. they're oriented to an ideology and won't tolerate dissidence, and so are sounding boards. This is usually in evidence on the Right, of course. I've been banned from such places simply for offering a different point of view.

2. disruptor trolls have become a tactic for the Right. Many of them are Russian (I get my posts deleted in many places for mentioning this. I was accused of "hate speech" against Russians!). In addition to the St. Petersburg crowd, there are a lot of rightwing Trumpoid trolls who cruise tirelessly.

Well, this forum has a defined topic and purpose and so #1 is avoided. As for the disruptors, the key is simply to weed them out, and quickly. I'll engage a rightwinger in reasoned conversation about politics, but engaging the flame warriors is pointless.

Well I just got here and should shut up and listen for a while.

@Delano, sometimes the comments that come out that guy's keyboard kill me 🤣

3 minutes ago, Michel Montvert said:

Well I just got here and should shut up and listen for a while.

Most people who visit these forums lurk (read but, don't post).

The forum is under constant attract by trolls they are not extended invitations as some might believe.  Most of the accounts that are created here are banned after they are created.  I'm sure I've banned legitimate posters, but I find it is better be overly cautious rather than too lax.

I don't remember when I approved your account @Michel Montvert, but most of the accounts I do approve never post.

8 minutes ago, Michel Montvert said:

This forum already is head and shoulders above most of them.

This has been my observations as well, but that is not to say that there is not much more potential.  These forums were superior 10 to 15 years ago, but again social media has sucked all the air out of the room.  My competition is not from other forums, but from social media, when has tremendous advantages.  

Perhaps that will change.  

I believe it will people thought email was dead too, but today it is one of the most effective way to get your message out readers.  No Microsoft and Google can decide to push my messages into the spam folder and make email less effective.  This is the power of monopoly.

This is why 90% of websites can't get traffic from google search and why 2/3 of searches on Google never led to a website.  This is why most people who are looking to buy something on the web start with Amazon.

All discussion forums have to content with these obstacles.

So to everyone, if you find any value here YOU have to help spread the word.  We are our best and, in many cases only, advocates 🙂

And I'm talking about any indie website you think is valuable.

• Like 1

"The forum is under constant attract by trolls they are not extended invitations as some might believe.  Most of the accounts that are created here are banned after they are created.  I'm sure I've banned legitimate posters, but I find it is better be overly cautious rather than too lax.

I don't remember when I approved your account @Michel Montvert, but most of the accounts I do approve never post."

You just approved my account in the last 2 days. Yes what you're saying about the internet---sad but true.

Oh I'm no troll. I'm just an old guy frustrated with the way the world is going looking for intelligent discourse. You are fighting an uphill battle, I say that not to discourage you but to say HOORAY for you for putting in all this effort.

In my experience, ANY forum or chatroom labelled as "African-American" will attract Kluxers and other assorted racist scum. A Jewish forum attracts Nazis. Native American forums are crawling with white racists. It's sickening.

This is not a Golden Age of civilization. sadly...

• Like 3

On 8/14/2022 at 11:46 AM, Pioneer1 said:

@Pioneer1 This is an afterthought. I love your comment and it has been resurfacing in my mind. 

One of the reasons why I love sharing my research in this community that revolves around BLACK BOOKS and forum though is because my research is not received in the White Supremacist environment of our western civilization!

So even though I agree with you in that my research will float down to the bottom of the page and disappear due to a lack of understanding my many Black people, however, I strongly believe that my research will resurface eventually because OF THE SOURCE. This kind of hidden history has been deliberately suppressed and I can see that it is drawing some 'secret hostility' especially on the subject of THE SLAVE SHIP ERA. Many White Supremacist loathe this issue and try to white wash this horrible period by saying that White people too have been slaves. OH BUT NO!!! LOL. THEY CAN'T SAY THAT ABOUT THE SLAVE SHIP TRADE--at least NOT NOW! 

LOL

Imagine seeing a movie with White men in chains being forced into slave ships,

lying closely packed, naked, in the bottom of the ships.

Imagine seeing actors like Charleston Heston [late],

Richard Gere, Johnny Depp, playing those roles as being Toby,

or Kunta Kinte, Fiddler. One day, this may happen in order to 

stop Black people from seeing how unique this horror really has been.

One day you will hear that, it doesn't matter what 'race' the slave ship victims were

because we've all been enslaved on slave ships, Irish, Scots, Germans, we've all been through it.

On 8/14/2022 at 11:46 AM, Pioneer1 said:

you like to post a wealth of information about the Bible and history that many if not most people EXCEPT for the intellectually inclined will not take time to read thoroughly.

Again, thank you so much for your observation!

I feel at times that I don't write enough or share enough about my research. It's my passion!

Recently, I tried to dig up a bit I researched on ancient Egypt, and now, I am so frustrated because i cannot find it.

I wrote the first draft last year and now, I want to edit and post it but cannot find it. It is not easy digging up valid references.

But perhaps one day, I hope that our future generation will benefit from it and no matter how this kind of information goes 'unread', I

strongly believe that it will resurface one day.

Edited by Chevdove
spelling
  • Like 1

Chev

But perhaps one day, I hope that our future generation will benefit from it and no matter how this kind of information goes 'unread', I strongly believe that it will resurface one day.

But I'd like YOU to get the credit for it instead of someone else who discovers it and brings it back into general circulation as "their own" ideas and perspectives.

So much in the world was really invented by Black people but the credit was stolen by White people who like ProfD says "codify" it after stealing it so they can legally claim YOUR discoveries as their own.

Del

It is also important to set the rules of engagement: no ad hominem attacks; agreed upon definitions of key terms of subject being discussed; rational arguments especially for highly subjective topics. 

I agree.
But I think there should be a clear separation between a more liberal free-for-all forum such as this one and one where the standards are higher and the rules are more strict.

First of all those rules should be clearly posted for everyone who would like to engage in that forum to read and abide by.

5 hours ago, Pioneer1 said:

But I'd like YOU to get the credit for it instead of someone else who discovers it and brings it back into general circulation as "their own" ideas and perspectives.

@Pioneer1 Me too!

It would be great to get credit during my lifetime, however, I believe that the primary source of which I love to research has been perfected that my research doesn't even compare. No matter what I write, I feel that the hidden truth scripted in the past is bound to surface sooner or later, and I just hope to be recognized as being a positive part of the whole.