Racist CEO — Leave a Glassdoor review

This Trump supporting CEO wouldn't hire me because I am black and old. He called me a boomer and tried to talk like a brother. I passed very coding test, but in the end, he said there is no room for someone as experienced as me. He tried to bond with me calling me a broza and asking if Knicks are my favorite basketball team.  CEO is white and clueless.  We need to stop racism at work.
Please leave a review here: https://www.glassdoor.com/Reviews/Vowel-Reviews-E5492257.htm 

Black folks should not be applying for jobs with companies that are overtly  racist and discriminatory. 

The interview process contained enough red flags to warrant getting up and leaving immediately.  Imagine working there. 😎

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Marty1960 said:

in the end, he said there is no room for someone as experienced as me.

Very sorry to here this. What mockery, he interviewed you because you were obviously qualified and deserved the interview but then, did not hire you.

Even if he did not feel that you were a good fit, he could have referred you to another company or made other efforts to have you be gainfully employed. 

I know what that feels like.

Many AfroAmericans are qualified but have to take lesser paying jobs and are underemployed. 

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, ProfD said:

Black folks should not be applying for jobs with companies that are overtly  racist and discriminatory. 

The interview process contained enough red flags to warrant getting up and leaving immediately.  Imagine working there. 😎

I didn’t know from Glassdoor reviews they were racist and technical people were very nice to me.  It’s all about the racist CEO.  Would appreciate if you could help by leaving a review here to warn others.  The more reviews the better:

https://www.glassdoor.com/Reviews/Vowel-Reviews-E5492257.htm

14 minutes ago, Chevdove said:

Very sorry to here this. What mockery, he interviewed you because you were obviously qualified and deserved the interview but then, did not hire you.

Even if he did not feel that you were a good fit, he could have referred you to another company or made other efforts to have you be gainfully employed. 

I know what that feels like.

Many AfroAmericans are qualified but have to take lesser paying jobs and are underemployed. 

100%!  I passed all prior interviews and coding tests administered by the technical folks.  I firmly believe I was not hired because I’m 61 and black.  I didn’t their white and Asian under 35 employee base.  Would appreciate if you leave a review to warn others:

https://www.glassdoor.com/Reviews/Vowel-Reviews-E5492257.htm

This is one of the reasons the Honorable Elijah Muhammad told us over and over again to DO FOR SELF.

He said DO FOR SELF....or suffer the consequences.

In other words........

You stop sitting around waiting on White folks to give you things and do things for you and learn how to DO THEM YOURSELF...or end up dealing with the racism and humiliation that often comes along with working for or with White people.

Thanks for the welcome, Troy.

I completely understand your point.  I’m just angry that a racist gets to prosper while us, black folk, have no way to fight back.  Perhaps naively I thought if we leave enough negative reviews it will alert future applicants of color or, simply, of good conscience to not apply to the company.  Perhaps it would also alert the VCs investing in it, to deploy capital elsewhere.   Again many thanks for listening to my story.

marty

Boycotting and protesting only works up to a point. It's usually the point where Black folks get *tired* of boycotting and protesting and falling back in line to the status quo.😁

As @Pioneer1 mentioned above, the best way to *fight* racism and discrimination is for Black folks to create their own opportunities and become more self-sufficient. 

America owes AfroAmericans reparations but that's another kettle and a source of circular debate mainly to obfuscate the issue.

Individually, white folks don't owe us anything when it comes to who they choose to hire into their companies and businesses.  😎

Boycotts would work, but we don’t even try, let alone get tired.

Doing for stuff is great too, but if we constantly choose use our oppressors overselves that will not go very far either.

7 hours ago, Marty1960 said:

I’m just angry that a racist gets to prosper…

Welcome to america Marty 😉

Again we have the tools to fight, we simply don’t have the collective will and fortitude to use them.

Whether it's a strike or a boycott, instead of waiting for everyone to get onboard....sometimes it's best to just focus on a handful of "true" riders who will be down to support you and get things going.

I've been saying quite vocally over the past few years that we should focus less on collective Black unity and more on uniting intelligent and righteous Black people; Black people with like minds who have the same interests.  
Just focus on THAT group and let the zombies roam the streets.

1 hour ago, Troy said:

Boycotts would work, but we don’t even try, let alone get tired.

Doing for stuff is great too, but if we constantly choose use our oppressors overselves that will not go very far either.

Welcome to america Marty 😉

Again we have the tools to fight, we simply don’t have the collective will and fortitude to use them.

We can fight here!  If we all leave a negative Glassdoor review it will definitely have a big impact on his ability to attract talent.

3 hours ago, ProfD said:

Boycotting and protesting only works up to a point. It's usually the point where Black folks get *tired* of boycotting and protesting and falling back in line to the status quo.😁

As @Pioneer1 mentioned above, the best way to *fight* racism and discrimination is for Black folks to create their own opportunities and become more self-sufficient. 

America owes AfroAmericans reparations but that's another kettle and a source of circular debate mainly to obfuscate the issue.

Individually, white folks don't owe us anything when it comes to who they choose to hire into their companies and businesses.  😎

But not hiring me because I’m old and black is not right.  White folks shouldn’t be able to be racist and get away with it.

1 hour ago, Marty1960 said:

But not hiring me because I’m old and black is not right.  White folks shouldn’t be able to be racist and get away with it.

That's two strikes.  It affects many folks here in America. 

Companies can hire younger people and pay them less than they would someone with more experience and fewer years left to work. 😎

1 hour ago, ProfD said:

That's two strikes.  It affects many folks here in America. 

Companies can hire younger people and pay them less than they would someone with more experience and fewer years left to work. 😎

They listed the range as $140-$170K for this senior software developer position, I would have taken $150K-$160K, so I still think it was due to race and my age was just an excuse.

18 minutes ago, Marty1960 said:

Not one person posted a Glassdoor review.  I take it as message from God that I need to put this injustice to rest and accept that we will not fight back.  In God I trust.

As  @Troymentioned above, it would not make sense for *us* to leave a negative review based on *your* experience. 

This is not a case of "Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere."😁

However, I think you're doing the right thing in leaving a review.  Maybe others will read and heed it before applying for a job with that company. 

Now, let go and let God...won't He do it. 🤣😎

12 minutes ago, ProfD said:

As  @Troymentioned above, it would not make sense for *us* to leave a negative review based on *your* experience. 

This is not a case of "Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere."😁

However, I think you're doing the right thing in leaving a review.  Maybe others will read and heed it before applying for a job with that company. 

Now, let go and let God...won't He do it. 🤣😎

My review was rejected due to violating community standards as I used “white asshole racist” in it.   So unless someone from here posts, there is no other to warn others

Marty1960

I have a few questions for you.......

First of all you said you're "old" and a victim of age discrimination.

How old are you?

Is 1960 the year you were born?

Also, are there other Black people at your job?
I'm not talking about janitors or the security guard at the front desk but in professional positions?

3 hours ago, Pioneer1 said:

Marty1960

I have a few questions for you.......

First of all you said you're "old" and a victim of age discrimination.

How old are you?

Is 1960 the year you were born?

Also, are there other Black people at your job?
I'm not talking about janitors or the security guard at the front desk but in professional positions?

Correct.  Born in May 1960, turned 62 this year.  25 years in software development.  
Not 1 black person there among who I saw (about 35-40 people).  One or two Asian, a few Indian, mostly white…all looked under 35.

26 minutes ago, Marty1960 said:

Not 1 black person there among who I saw (about 35-40 people).  One or two Asian, a few Indian, mostly white…all looked under 35.

Human Resources must have told him to hire another person of color to meet a quota.

But, unless the application didn't ask for a date of birth, it doesn't make sense to interview someone over a certain age if the goal is to have a company full of younger folks. 

That interview was a sham. The CEO only conducted it for his entertainment. 😎

24 minutes ago, ProfD said:

Human Resources must have told him to hire another person of color to meet a quota.

But, unless the application didn't ask for a date of birth, it doesn't make sense to interview someone over a certain age if the goal is to have a company full of younger folks. 

That interview was a sham. The CEO only conducted it for his entertainment. 😎

And, no doubt, the white asshole was entertained.  Let me, please, ask one last time — brothers, please leave a negative review on Glassdoor for him.  I promise that’s my only and final ask.

I have mixed feelings about situations like these.....

On the one hand I support Elijah Muhammad's advice for us to do for self and establish our own businesses and employ ourselves so we don't have to deal with the racism and other forms of discrimination as well as the THEIVERY that goes on in many White corporations where a Black man may come up with a great idea but White people will PRETEND to dismiss it only to steal it and use it later on.....we were told not to work for them but to work for ourselves.

However on the other hand, as long as we're living in the United States in a multi-racial society we need to figure out a way to not only get along with other races but force them to recognize and respect our contribution and ability to manage and progress the work place.
I don't like the idea of Asians and Latinos being able to just dance right into this nation and into jobs that AFRO-AMERICANS had to fight to open up!

Our ForeFathers and ForeMothers fought for those jobs and the opportunity to get them!
So WE should be the ones who get first dibs at those jobs, not Latinos, Arabs, Asians, and other immigrants.

I think the brother should fight it all the way and even take them to court if he has to because those jobs don't "belong" to the managers.
They belong either to the owners or the shareholders....that's who literally OWNS the company.
So they don't have a moral or legal right to sit up and deny people opportunities that they didn't give themselves.

@Pioneer1, it's a waste of time and energy trying to *force* someone else to provide an opportunity.

Then, as we've seen historically, if/when white folks do provide opportunities to Black folks, they throw shade and do whatever it takes to make it uncomfortable.

James Brown said it right, "I don't want nobody to give me nothin, just open up the door and I'll get it myself." Needless to type, Soul Brotha #1 was a very shrewd businessman.

It's better to *create* opportunities and become self-sufficient. Folks are more inclined to want to work with those who bring more to the table than their hands out and lip service.  😎

• Thanks 1

ProfD

I wouldn't consider it a COMPLETE waste of time and energy to force yourself into positions of power and wealth inside White owned establishments from an INDIVIDUAL perspective.

Now as a community ofcourse, our time would be much better spent uniting like minds and building our own; however as I'm reminded constantly....although this is highly possible and will be done some day...it's still wishful and hopeful thinking.  
So as an INDIVIDUAL you do what you have to do or want to do to get what you want in this life while you're living.

If I'm a Black man who wants to live the "good life" of corporate America enjoying the wealth and all of the other amenities that come with wealth and high positions, it would benefit me more to just go ahead and fight (or beg if necessary) my way into the ranks of the elite than wait on niggas to get it together, lol.

Skeleton waiting Blank Template - Imgflip

"I refuse to sell out!
I'm still waiting on niggas to unite and build something."

I suspect that's why the sell-out rate is so high.
Some of our people are tired of waiting on niggas to get it together and unite and build their own collectively and see their best bet is to just grin up in them White folks faces and get as much as they can WHILE they can, lol.

I don't know what the brother's (Marty) true aim is in dropping this thread and asking us to participate in his battle, however.....

This subject is a little dear to me because both on jobs and in local politics I've often found myself being the only person initially fighting back against racism in the area.

I notice a problem.
And it seems like I'm usually the FIRST one to notice the problem!

Whether it's on a job or in a city, you have Negroes who've been there for YEARS grinning and talking trash with toothpicks in their mouths and gold chains on their necks totally oblivious to the blatantly racist situation going on around them that I IMMEDIATELY pick up on and have a problem with.  

I ask some of these fools do they see what I'm seeing and they deny it....until they're a victim of it either by getting fired, put in jail, or humiliated by a White "superior".
Then all of a sudden they notice a problem and want to cry racism and slob at the mouth looking for help.

crying black man | Meme Generator

"Why dey do me like dat???
Man...dat's some racist bullshit!"

It's all good as long as THEY aren't a victim of racism personally.
Fuck what some other Black person is going through....it's all about them and what THEY experience.
If THEY didn't go through it....it can't be true.

Usually there are a few riders with me or I'll be with them if they were the first to notice something and speak out, but often times you're by yourself trying to weigh your options.  

Fighting racism alone is one thing.
Fighting racism alone with a bunch of niggas standing around with their eyes bucked looking at you and wondering what "your" problem is instead of helping you is another level though.

What black and white people really think about one another | Hugh Muir |  The Guardian

"What's wrong with THAT nigga?"
"Why he in the office yelling and pointing his fingers embarassing  us????"
"Yeah but he right though....some racist shit be happening around here"
"Man, he need to go on somewhere and just find another job because...."
"Man, I need this job and he go fuck it up for everybody with all that race shit!"

It feels so good when you finally do win and get your trophy but the road along the way......shit.

@Pioneer1, Black folks can be successful both individually and collectively.

Unfortunately, 1) like-minded folks have been dispersed and 2) the Black community no longer has charismatic, intelligent leadership and 3) God hasn't appeared yet.

While all Black people didn't agree with Marcus Garvey or Malcolm X or Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. or Fred Hampton or Minister Louis Farrakhan, etc., those angels could get n8gglets to listen and some would take action in it. 

I attended the Million Man March both times. It was awesome to see that many Black men unified in that moment.

Those marches let me know it's possible. It just takes a strong Black man (God) to make it happen.

For whatever reason, He isn't ready to show up and out yet. You and I may not see Him in our lifetime. But, that's what it's gonna take to right our sh8t, er, ship.😎

• Thanks 1

ProfD

This is why I said a lot of our people are tired of waiting and figure their best bet it to just sell out and join the other team for whatever it's worth, rather than continue to wait.

Atleast when it comes to serving White folks and kissing up to them, you usually get SOMETHING...lol.
It may not be everything you asked for.
It may be everything you asked for ALONG WITH a whole lot of shit you DIDN'T ask for and didn't expect.
But usually you'll get SOME goodies if you're a flunky for the White folks.

What do you get fighting for and being loyal to most Black folks?
....besides a hard time?
....or chased down the street if the WRONG nigga sees you and think you got something on you.

In MY past experiences I've gotten a LOT of benefits for fighting racism and fighting on behalf of Black people....but most of those benefits I got didn't COME FROM Black people.  They came from The Divine.
In many cases the Black folks I was fighting for directly didn't give me shit.
But I still fought for them knowing this.

But I can't expect all Black people to do this.
Fighting for my people is a passion of mine and has been since I was a child and my Faith has been strengthened a lot from past experiences.
They help push me forward and keep me going.
It's a Life Purpose so I can't stop doing it.

However from that sister or brother who isn't cut like that and looks at things from not just a logical and selfish point of view but even an emotional point of view....I can see how simply getting with the White folks and trying their best to forget about their own would be a more attractive option.

3 hours ago, Pioneer1 said:

I don't know what the brother's (Marty) true aim is in dropping this thread and asking us to participate in his battle, however.....

This subject is a little dear to me because both on jobs and in local politics I've often found myself being the only person initially fighting back against racism in the area.

I notice a problem.
And it seems like I'm usually the FIRST one to notice the problem!

Whether it's on a job or in a city, you have Negroes who've been there for YEARS grinning and talking trash with toothpicks in their mouths and gold chains on their necks totally oblivious to the blatantly racist situation going on around them that I IMMEDIATELY pick up on and have a problem with.  

I ask some of these fools do they see what I'm seeing and they deny it....until they're a victim of it either by getting fired, put in jail, or humiliated by a White "superior".
Then all of a sudden they notice a problem and want to cry racism and slob at the mouth looking for help.

crying black man | Meme Generator

"Why dey do me like dat???
Man...dat's some racist bullshit!"

It's all good as long as THEY aren't a victim of racism personally.
Fuck what some other Black person is going through....it's all about them and what THEY experience.
If THEY didn't go through it....it can't be true.

Usually there are a few riders with me or I'll be with them if they were the first to notice something and speak out, but often times you're by yourself trying to weigh your options.  

Fighting racism alone is one thing.
Fighting racism alone with a bunch of niggas standing around with their eyes bucked looking at you and wondering what "your" problem is instead of helping you is another level though.

What black and white people really think about one another | Hugh Muir |  The Guardian

"What's wrong with THAT nigga?"
"Why he in the office yelling and pointing his fingers embarassing  us????"
"Yeah but he right though....some racist shit be happening around here"
"Man, he need to go on somewhere and just find another job because...."
"Man, I need this job and he go fuck it up for everybody with all that race shit!"

It feels so good when you finally do win and get your trophy but the road along the way......shit.

My aim was to get my fellow brothers to leave negative reviews for white racist CEO at Vowel so never gets to embarrass another brother like me.  None have done so.  I have failed.  

I was also dreaming that if we leave enough negative reviews we may force his investors to notice and perhaps stop funding his start up, leading to eventual bankruptcy.  Now that’s fighting back!  Let the racing white guy lose his company!

It is ironic that my father, who was active in civil right movement, might have marched with this whitey’s Jewish grandpa (CEO is Jewish) in the 1950s and 1960s.  Of course, Jews have done better than us since then.  In any event, I appreciate the dialogue but am saddened we have not fought back on Glassdoor.

I am also tired of us, bright brothers, talking.  Or not taking action because it’s “ not above board”.  He is a racist and that’s not evolve board.  So we should feel free to fight this injustice by leaving reviews even though I experienced this racism and not you.  We don’t need to play by the rules, we need to drive racists out of business, one racist at a time.

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Marty1960 said:

We don’t need to play by the rules, we need to drive racists out of business, one racist at a time.

PREACH!!!!! 

We actually need to play by OUR OWN rules instead of theirs.

In some ways things were better for our people in the 50s and 60s than they are today.

Atleast we all could CLEARLY see who the enemy is and had more unity since most of us were in the same boat.

• Thanks 1

First, I'll restate that it doesn't make sense for us to leave negative reviews without 1st hand knowledge that this CEO is a racist. 

1 hour ago, Pioneer1 said:

Atleast we all could CLEARLY see who the enemy is and had more unity since most of us were in the same boat.

Facts.

The system made a few course corrections to give the illusion of inclusion. Black folks have been given just enough to be satisfied.

Every now and then, overt racism will make an appearance to ruffle a few feathers. White supremacists know the playbook.

Black folks will cuss, cry, march, protest, grumble and complain for a month or so. Al Sharpton and Ben Crump might show up.

Once the t-shirts are printed up, things go back to normal until the next episode. 😎

1 hour ago, ProfD said:

First, I'll restate that it doesn't make sense for us to leave negative reviews without 1st hand knowledge that this CEO is a racist. 

Facts.

The system made a few course corrections to give the illusion of inclusion. Black folks have been given just enough to be satisfied.

Every now and then, overt racism will make an appearance to ruffle a few feathers. White supremacists know the playbook.

Black folks will cuss, cry, march, protest, grumble and complain for a month or so. Al Sharpton and Ben Crump might show up.

Once the t-shirts are printed up, things go back to normal until the next episode. 😎

My bad!  Next time a white racist interviews me, I’ll be sure to invite a few of my brothers from this forum so they can experience the racism first hand.  I’m disappointed, but not surprised.  Until we start taking matters into our own hands, and bending the rules — nothing will change.  Here, we had a great opportunity to hurt a racist’s business, yet we couldn’t go forward cause “technically it was only we that experienced the racism first hand”.  If this Jewish CEO experienced anti-Semitism, 100 of his Jewish friends would have left Glassdoor.  It’s a shame.  Especially because my dad might have marched with his grandpa in the 1950s and 1960s

2 hours ago, ProfD said:

Another way of taking matters into one's own hands is to start a software company. Become an independent contractor. Sell services instead of labor.  No need to work directly for a racist. 😎

I am sure white racists are lining up to purchase contract services from a 62 year old black male.  I can’t even influence my fellow brothers to leave a Glassdoor review, I won’t succeed as a business owner at this age 😥

8 hours ago, Marty1960 said:

I am sure white racists are lining up to purchase contract services from a 62 year old black male.  I can’t even influence my fellow brothers to leave a Glassdoor review, I won’t succeed as a business owner at this age 😥

I'm surprised you've made it this far in life with that attitude.  Good luck bro. 😎

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ProfD said:

I'm surprised you've made it this far in life with that attitude.  Good luck bro. 😎

I think I am more hurt by the indifference and refusal to post a negative Glassdoor review as much as I am hurt by the original racist CEO…I’ll get over it.  

1 minute ago, Marty1960 said:

I’ll get over it.  

Good.

It is lost on me why you can't understand why we did not post negative reviews on your word -- a stranger on a discussion forum.

If you are 62-year-old software developer, one would think this would be obvious,  Have you considered that fact that you might be a white racist trying to get us to slam a Black manager?  How can we tell? 

It seems to me with your age and experience you would have been able to navigate this experience better.  Have you considered calling a hiring manager a "white racist asshole" on a public review forum might hurt you employment chances elsewhere?  Doing that shows questionable judgement at best.

As @ProfD suggested, you can become an independent contractor, there are plenty of people who do this; why you think you can't is also lost on me.

• Like 1

Vowel CEO, Andrew Berman, is white:

https://www.crunchbase.com/person/andrew-berman-4

Andrew is the one who interviewed me and screwed me because of my race and age.

1 hour ago, Troy said:

Good.

It is lost on me why you can't understand why we did not post negative reviews on your word -- a stranger on a discussion forum.

If you are 62-year-old software developer, one would think this would be obvious,  Have you considered that fact that you might be a white racist trying to get us to slam a Black manager?  How can we tell? 

It seems to me with your age and experience you would have been able to navigate this experience better.  Have you considered calling a hiring manager a "white racist asshole" on a public review forum might hurt you employment chances elsewhere?  Doing that shows questionable judgement at best.

As @ProfD suggested, you can become an independent contractor, there are plenty of people who do this; why you think you can't is also lost on me.

I do agree that I showed very poor judgement by saying “white racists asshole” even though Andy is certainly one.  That review was very true and also very ananynous so I didn’t think twice.  Clearly I was wrong

Asians, Latinos, and Jews are doing better than us because they support each other.  There would be 10s of negative reviews on Glassdoor by now if I was an Asian and posted on an Asian forum.  And things will not get better from Workplace Diversity programs, see below from latest issue of Economist:

https://www.economist.com/graphic-detail/2022/08/25/workplace-diversity-programmes-often-fail-or-backfire

• 2 weeks later...

Got a job offer for Principal Engineer role 💪.  This racist prick Andrew Berman, CEO of Vowel, didn’t offer me Sr. Software Engineer role cause I’m a boomer brother.  Well, a non-racist company offered me a role that’s even higher.   Perhaps that was God’s plan all along.  I ain’t even mad at all you pussies for not leaving negative Glassdoor reviews.  The white nigga did me a favor!

3 hours ago, Marty1960 said:

Got a job offer for Principal Engineer role 💪.  This racist prick Andrew Berman, CEO of Vowel, didn’t offer me Sr. Software Engineer role cause I’m a boomer brother.  Well, a non-racist company offered me a role that’s even higher.   Perhaps that was God’s plan all along.  I ain’t even mad at all you pussies for not leaving negative Glassdoor reviews.  The white nigga did me a favor!

😉  Thanks for telling on yourself and letting us know how you REALLY feel.

You only confirmed what I suspected anyway, lol.

• Like 1

Not sure I follow.  I clearly said multiple times how disappointed I was you fellow brothers refused to post a negative Glassdoor reviews.  Water under the bridge, I am better off racist white dude didn’t hire me.  God helped guide me.  I channeled my anger and got an amazing offer.  I go to sleep a happy and satisfied man today.  The good has prevailed over white evil.  Hallelujah!

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 11/15/2022 at 11:45 PM, Marty1960 said:

Wonder if that racist CEO of Vowel already sent his $$$ check to Trump campaign.  

Hilarious! But I hope not. He's a contradiction for sure. Ye is a contradiction. 

I remember watching a Spike Lee documentary about hurricane Katrina and Kanye, 'Ye' completely ignored the CUE card and turned to the camera and said, "Trump don't like Black people" Oops! I meant that he said "Bush don't care about Black people". Now, he has a republican viewpoint aligned with Trump. Go figure. 

Chev

It was George W. Bush he said that about back in 2005......not Trump.

I remember he said it and one of the White actors he was sharing the camera with stood their staring and looking like a deer caught in headlights...lol.

That was back when Kanye's mother was still alive and he had a little more sense and stability.

• 2 weeks later...