Black Women & Blonde Wigs; What About Black Men? The Origins of It

Black Women & Blonde Wigs; What About Black Men? The Origins of It

Wongel is fast becoming one of my favorite youtuber to watch. This recent video had me almost in tears from laughing. She revisited this topic because just recently, Kenya passed a new law in which their judges and lawyers are no longer required to wear the colonial wigs. Furthermore, Wongel did brief research of the origins of these ‘blonde’ wigs and powered white wigs that Black African men and women wore in their courtrooms in certain African countries. However, it should be obvious to most of us that the origins of it stems from the colonial movement from Europe due to the early portraits that are depicted in history books of European men that set up the Colonial Empire all over the world. But why blonde though?

mqdefault.jpg

190405090256-01-zimbabwe-judges-file-res

1*WHRw_0HQuFnmq-W27a_zow.png

1*IdoZ88lfSCEqQdbXLSSpQw.png

45137231-george-washington-200.1910x1000

Why did Black Africans choose blonde or white horsehair wigs? Yes, that right, I said ‘horsehair’; the wigs were made out of horsehair. But why not wear black wigs like some of the Colonial Frenchmen wore? From a scientific Point-of-View, and even though the world has become obsessed with European traits and therefore associate blond hair as such, ironically though, blond hair stems from a Black African origin. Nevertheless, many African people do not like these wigs and feel that the huge amount of money spent on getting them from Europe could be put to better use.

619a614988dd5daf5985629a81a3ce26.jpg

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Chevdove said:

This recent video had me almost in tears from laughing.

The video is hilarious on several levels especially to someone like myself who finds humor in d8mn near everything. 🤣

It's amazing that Black folks hold on to the goofiest BS left behind by their colonizers.  Those wigs have always looked ridiculous even back in the 1700s. 

Unfortunately, AfroAmericans are spending a sh8t ton of money or hair and wigs nowadays.  Many of them look just as ridiculous. 

In as much as some things change, a lot of it stays the same.  Thank goodness I'm totally comfortable in my baldness. 😁😎

• Like 2

6 hours ago, ProfD said:

Unfortunately, AfroAmericans are spending a sh8t ton of money or hair and wigs nowadays.  Many of them look just as ridiculous. 

It's the height of absurdity that black women call themselves embracing their natural roots by wearing these huge wigs made out of synthetic fabric in places like Taiwan. But that's what's trending, and if attention is what they are seeking, then  - mission accomplished!

8 hours ago, Chevdove said:

This recent video had me almost in tears from laughing.

You know what they used to say back in the day - "blondes have more fun!"

• Haha 1

On 8/17/2022 at 2:45 PM, ProfD said:

Many of them look just as ridiculous. 

@ProfD LOL

Keep going... Now I see HOT PINK hair, GREEN hair, Blue hair, etc.

In the past, I only saw these kinds of WIGS during the Halloween season and in specialty shops where halloween costumes were sold during the season.

Now, it is like, status quo style. People are going to work in office environments with these hair and wig styles.

For now, the hair styles are bone straight for the most part, and I wonder if people will start wearing hot pink afros or bright green afro wigs.

Times have changed. 

On 8/17/2022 at 11:44 PM, Delano said:

I saw a light skin black man with natural blonde hair.

He was striking.

Yes, I could imagine that is looked natural. That's why I posted the pics of Black children with naturally blonde hair. 

But the horse hair wigs do not look natural, imo.

@Delano

On 8/17/2022 at 4:32 PM, Pioneer1 said:

The only Black people I know with naturally blonde hair are Australian Aborigines.

@Pioneer1In Africa too!

1 hour ago, Chevdove said:

Keep going... Now I see HOT PINK hair, GREEN hair, Blue hair, etc.

In the past, I only saw these kinds of WIGS during the Halloween season and in specialty shops where halloween costumes were sold during the season.

Now, it is like, status quo style. People are going to work in office environments with these hair and wig styles.

Yep.  That's why I think it's beyond ridiculous.  it's not just wigs. 

Women and men are dying their natural hair different colors too.   

Round up these n8gglets and their heads will make them look like a bag of Skittles.  😎

• Haha 2

3 hours ago, Pioneer1 said:

ProfD

Remember Sisqo of Dru Hill?

We thought the nigga was just weird back in the 90s, but he'd fit right in today!

Yep. Clearly Sisqo was a head of his time. 😁

I blame him and O'Dell Beckham Jr. for inspiring these n8gglets to look like they're in a rainbow fraternity. 😎

• Haha 2

ProfD

Then you'll have to blame Prince and Michael Jackson too....lol.

They...and if you really want to go back in time Switch (with the DeBarges).... started Black America on the road of effeminizing men with their high pitched singing and hair straightening personas. 

Black folks aren't the only ones sporting rainbow hair which dates back to Rock and Heavy Metal groups and which has now gained popularity among whites and Hispanics, too. Just like high falsetto voices date waaay back past "Switch" and the DeBarges (who are bi-racial and do not have to "process" their hair).  The BeeGees were examples of white guys singing in high falsettos, and all the lead singers in the Doo-Wop quartets and later the MoTown male groups sang in high falsettos, one of the most prominent one being Eddie Kendricks of the Temptations.  And, of course, Prince, - and Phillip Bailey of Earth, Wind, & Fire, and the Isley Brothers. There was a famous male singing group back during the 1930s and '40s called the "Ink Spots" whose lead tenor sang in a high falsettos.  Men who are secure in their masculinity do not have a problem vocalizing in this style which probably originated in Italian operas.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Pioneer1 said:

They...and if you really want to go back in time...high pitched singing and hair straightening personas. 

As @Cynique mentioned above, it goes back further than the aforementioned artists. Black men have been singing high and straightening hair and wearing tight azz suits for a long time. 

However, the difference is a whole bunch of clowns, er, folks, men and women, weren't running around with Skittles colored wigs and dyed hair.

Only the *different* people (artists and musicians) were bold enough to wear green hair. Now, it's becoming normal. 😁😎

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Cynique said:

Black folks aren't the only ones sporting rainbow hair which dates back to Rock and Heavy Metal groups and which has now gained popularity among whites and Hispanics, too. Just like high falsetto voices date waaay back past "Switch" and the DeBarges (who are bi-racial and do not have to "process" their hair).  The BeeGees were examples of white guys singing in high falsettos, and all the lead singers in the Doo-Wop quartets and later the MoTown male groups sang in high falsettos, one of the most prominent one being Eddie Kendricks of the Temptations.  And, of course, Prince, - and Phillip Bailey of Earth, Wind, & Fire, and the Isley Brothers. There was a famous male singing group back during the 1930s and '40s called the "Ink Spots" whose lead tenor sang in a high falsettos.  Men who are secure in their masculinity do not have a problem vocalizing in this style which probably originated in Italian operas.

@Cynique Last night, I watched an old film, the Tempations!

It is one of the few films that I can actually get approved in the schools to show because a lot of 'black-centered' films I want to show to my predominantly Black school teens have too much subject matter that the schools will not approve. For my predominantly White and 'other students' I can choose a lot that will be approve though. Anyway, I'm digressing...

The Temptations, film is one of my favorites and I go back and forth of which actor is my favorite. The actor that plays Eddie Kendricks is awesome. And then I love Leon. 

And you're right too, about Philip Bailey, there is nothing odd about him having a high pitched musical voice! 

Switch too, is another of my favorites. Their straight hair is in their DNA! LOL. 

• Like 1