Have anyone heard of a book called Coal by J.Jason Grant

anika99

Anika99, the most recent publication of Jason's book I could find a record of was from 1985 pubed by Holloway House the ISBN's are

Jason Grant's saga of a renegade cowboy named Coal, who went from slave to be called "El Diablo Negro" (The Black Devil). An unforgettable portrait of one of the many ex-slaves who became cowboys.

There are many sources with which you can use the information to find this book (many use the same data), but you can look around deeper in the search results and maybe you'll get lucky.

I'm curious why are you looking for THIS particular book?

If you are interested in similiar stories you might consider Leonce Gaither's I Dreamt I Was in Heaven - The Rampage of the Rufus Buck Gang: http://aalbc.com/authors/leonce_gaiter.html

Anika99, the most recent publication of Jason's book I could find a record of was from 1985 pubed by Holloway House the ISBN's are

Jason Grant's saga of a renegade cowboy named Coal, who went from slave to be called "El Diablo Negro" (The Black Devil). An unforgettable portrait of one of the many ex-slaves who became cowboys.

There are many sources with which you can use the information to find this book (many use the same data), but you can look around deeper in the search results and maybe you'll get lucky.

I'm curious why are you looking for THIS particular book?

If you are interested in similiar stories you might consider Leonce Gaither's I Dreamt I Was in Heaven - The Rampage of the Rufus Buck Gang: http://aalbc.com/authors/leonce_gaiter.html

From the reviews on amazon...this sounds like a special book and i was curious about the author.I have not read the book yet.I'm going to see if the library has it.I haven't been able to find anything on the author.I don't know if he's still alive but i'm definitely going to check this book out.Check out the reviews on amazon herehttp://www.amazon.com/Coal-Jason-Grant/dp/087067718

I heard about this book a little while back...usually i don't care for westerns but i feel this one maybe different.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Yes, my name is also Jason Grant...That's my Pops!

& Very unapologetically, it's the best work of Black Fiction ever written!

Ahhhhh....bless your heart for stopping by.I still haven't had a chance to read it though.The library here doesn't carry it and it was quite expensive to get else where due to it being out of print.

• 2 years later...

This book was written in the mid 1970's.I have heard it was awesome.The lead character is a black cowboy.I haven't been able to find any info on the author.Would appreciate any info or get someone's take on the book who have read it.Thanks

I know that this post is old, but this post is how I found this site. Anyway, I was in a bookstore and skimming through the Western section when it caught my eye. I have read this book several time and love it. I wish my copy wasn't so battered from my reading it. Sadly I don't think that Hollywood could ever capture the true greatness of this book if it was turned into a movie...

• Like 1

• 11 months later...
  • 1 month later...
Guest Made me proud to know he and your mom

Jason, is your mom Etta? She was my mentor and boss for many years. Etta gave me a copy of Coal when it was first published in the 70's and I read it. Coal was well written and kept me interested from beginning to end. You were in elementary school then. Coal made me proud to know your parents. I've been looking for a copy because mine was lost years ago.  Wanted to share it with my family. 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
On September 24, 2011 11:27:03 PM, anika99 said:

This book was written in the mid 1970's.I have heard it was awesome.The lead character is a black cowboy.I haven't been able to find any info on the author.Would appreciate any info or get someone's take on the book who have read it.Thanks

I read it about 20 years ago. and I couldn't

put it down.

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

I know that it is a very strong possibility that this will never be read,however I have been in LOVE with this book FOREVER. Sadly I can not find one under $379. If I could afford it I would have it, NO DOUBT. I've tried to hint about it being a nice birthday present. But with the economy as it is I don't think that will happen. Should anyone know where I can get a decent copy at a more reasonable price please email me at sajby55@gmail.com I know this may sound silly to some but I have always felt that it was one of the most beautiful LOVE STORIES that I ever read.  

• Like 1

• 6 months later...
Guest Coals #1 fan

Hello Coal is the best book I've ever read and also have long to find a company as mine is work out. Mr Grant I would love to get in touch with you and discuss somethings about your father's book

• 4 weeks later...
Guest tonyynot2433@gmail.com

The book is awesome, I mean the best cowboy book in the World no hold bars!!!!!!!! If I had my way, Quentin Tarantino and Spike Lee would sit in a room, with me there of course and create the movie together. Each of them bring there A+ game. Picture that combination, working with that story.

ideals from,

tonyynot2433@gmail.com

• 4 months later...
  • 4 months later...

With the number of other great books still in print, it is lost on me why anyone would consider paying hundreds or dollars to read this particular book, or to even obtain a physical copy of it.  If anyone disagrees I'm open to opposing opinions.

@Getemchip there seems to be an opportunity to make some money here.  Do you have a few copies of your dad's book laying around?

• 5 months later...
Guest Some Guy

Mannnn,

I read this book back in the early nineties, when I was in prison. I must say, for a young, incarcerated, uneducated kid, "Coal" was inspiring, crazy entertaining, and even educating. Solomon Pinkney was a bad guy, but he and Cole actually grew to love each other like family - and he taught Cole many of the things that later made him successful.

No doubt, this is one of the best, if not THE best book I have ever read.

If you know anyone in prison, they may be able to get their hands on a copy.

Another good, rare read is "Stack a Dollar", by Elroy Waters.

• 3 months later...
  • 5 months later...
Guest eviemac

Hello, my name is evie I've actually read Coal 3 times and I found it very interesting I loved it! The brother that wrote the book maybe out of commission I couldn't find any info on him either. The book was awesome and I still have it! 

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...
Guest DLowUnder

I'm a navy Vet. And at night after taps I would lie in my bunk and read Coal. And at muster each and every morning my fellow ship mates would gather around me so I could tell them about what i had read the previous night.. After`I had finished reading the book it was passed around my whole ship of over 30000 mean and women needless to say it was torn and battered when i got it back But my fellow sailors who did read it said it was one of the best books they had ever read in their lives. And as for me it truly  remains the best novel I have ever read; And I'm one who has read a lot of books having spent quite a lot of time at sea... I don't have it anymore.. I believe I loaned it to someone and it was never returned to me...I wish I could find it again to have my kids read it...The name is Charles Whitaker...

• 10 months later...
Guest Reggie SmithSr

Man let me tell you when I say there's not a better book out there... I love that book and BEEN telling people about it but didn't know the author and you say that's ya pops ✊🏾✊🏾✊🏾

On 9/25/2011 at 12:27 AM, anika99 said:

Yes.  I have the book.  I love black cowboys.  My husband bought the book for me many years ago.  I read it more than once.  It's that good.  I am sure you can get a copy at Amazon.com

• 7 months later...