On second thought

@DelUpon ruminating about your assertion that "you  can only define what you  experience". and  that "you cannot  comprehend something without a frame of reference", my polemicist tendencies kicked in.

What if your frame of reference is "observation"? You can describe and subsequently define what you observe another entity experiencing. That's where imagination comes in.  Also, you can vicariously empathize with what someone else is experiencing and describe what you  feel. You can watch a scary movie seated within the confines of a safe theater and experience fear. That's what  escapism is; experiencing something new or different through the lens of observation, while  Imagination serves as your frame of reference.  Experience is fluid, and that's what makes it possible to tap into, especially if you're a 3-dimensional person.

So, in my opinion, you can describe and define without experiencing, - you can comprehend without a frame of reference. You just have to expand your consciousness.  The human mind is a wonderous, versatile thing. I would never place any limits on what it has the capacity to do, including adapting its emotions.

Finally, transforming what you experience into words, is what makes language magical.

And here we are. 🙃

1 hour ago, Cynique said:

The human mind is a wonderous, versatile thing. I would never place any limits on what it has the capacity to do...

Pardon me for butting into the conversation but I had to quote this for truth.

The human mind is extremely complex and capable as evidenced by our extraordinary accomplishments and failures.

It's the capacity and capability of the human mind that inspires my eternal optimism as it relates to human beings doing a better job of making the world a better place by taking care of each other.

So far, humanity is failing on several levels but there's always hope for the future. 

Back to your regularly scheduled program...😁😎

4 hours ago, Cynique said:

@Del

What if your frame of reference is "observation"? You can describe and subsequently define what you observe another entity experiencing. That's where imagination comes in.  Also, you can vicariously empathize with what someone else is experiencing and describe what you  feel. You can watch a scary movie seated within the confines of a safe theater and experience fear. 

So, in my opinion, you can describe and define without experiencing, - you can comprehend without a frame of reference. 🙃

Yes it could be possible to use empathy and observation to understand another person. The problem  is a lack of verified meaning and understanding.

Similar to what happens in all types of misunderstandings.

@Cynique I agree in theory. Although this isn't generally the way conversations unfold here and elsewhere.

• Like 1