Does the case against James O’Neil need to go to the federal level, if possible?

The case needs to go to the federal level as a civil rights matter regardless of whether or not the state prosecutes the battery charges. Ben Crump might get a phone call.

It's amazing that videos capture these racist  incidents and yet we're told not to believe what we see and hear; let the investigation play out. 

Usually, these racist folks beat the charge and find a job elsewhere. It's ridiculous. 😎

@ProfD To be blunt, I find these cases very consistent with the true nature of the usa. I Admit I am not like you or pioneer or daniel or troy or most others in this forum. I don't see the usa in a positive light nor do I think it can go to a positive light. yes, any government can be manipulated and all governments do change, but the essence of the usa has always been the same and I see nothing to warrant that changing. IT's not ridiculous, its statian. its what the usa has always been about. I know people like you hope the usa changes to become something else, but I and many others like me, don't have or want such hopes. 

5 hours ago, richardmurray said:

IT's not ridiculous, its statian. its what the usa has always been about. I know people like you hope the usa changes to become something else, but I and many others like me, don't have or want such hopes. 

Understood. 

I am an AfroAmerican.  I was born and raised in the United States of America (USA).  The USA is the only *home* I know.  There is no other country on the planet that I'd rather go and become a citizen.   

Despite its warts and flaws, IMO, the USA is still the best country on the planet as a beacon of hope, freedom and opportunity. There's a reason people leave their home countries and seek citizenship in the USA.  Otherwise, they would roll up to Canada or down to Argentina.  

Most importantly, the USA will forever be indebted to AfroAmericans.  Regardless of whether or not the USA makes good on its debt (promissory note), AfroAmericans have every right to thrive and survive in their birthplace.

Today, AfroAmericans are not where they should be whether it's fully enjoying the freedoms and protections of citizenship to sharing in the wealth of this great nation.  But, that should not stop us from striving for it. 

This discussion forum is a microcosm of the conversations AfroAmericans should be having in order to make the USA a more perfect union.  I know that AfroAmericans are having similar discussions in other outlets too.

Non-AfroAmerican Black folks have a different history, experience and perspective when it comes to the USA.  I get it. To each their own.

But, as an AfroAmerican man, I can only do my part and use my voice to make the USA  a better place for my fellow man. 

The USA may not change in my lifetime but to co-opt 50 Cent...that won't stop me from trying to enrich AfroAmericans.😎