Troy, where you at.......

Fortunately for me The storm passed far enough South of me that i was largely unaffected. There was rain and high winds but nothing coming close to what we have all seen on TV. Terrible.

At some point we will have to come to the realization that we can’t live right on the beach any more. 

Every new weather event is now the “worst ever.” 

closer to home St Pete, Clearwater, and Tampa bay dodged a bullet, but it seeming is only a matter of time. The same goes for places like NYC, Miami, Houston in fact all along the gulf coast from TX to FL. 

Side bar: people always say their prayers were answered because they avoided disaster, but they never think about the prayers of those not answered, people who lost their homes and even their lives…

• Like 4

11 hours ago, Troy said:

Side bar: people always say their prayers were answered because they avoided disaster, but they never think about the prayers of those not answered, people who lost their homes and even their lives…

Therein lie the paradox of faith and prayer; fate and reality.

The real question is why people choose to stick around when they've been told to evacuate.  No shortage of Darwinian candidates.  

@Troy, thankful that you're safe and sound. 😎

• Like 1

People stick around for a variety of reasons, but I think it is mostly laziness and denial. 

There is a class of people who really can't easily leave, or where the effort to leave is worth the risk of staying. The government issues a mandatory evacuation order and then says we will save you when you need help; that creates less of an incentive to leave too. 

If you rely on historical precedent you will always underestimate the risk. You don't have to tell people who have been through something like this once to heed evacuation orders.

2 hours ago, Troy said:

People stick around for a variety of reasons, but I think it is mostly laziness and denial. 

There is a class of people who really can't easily leave...

Yep. I was referring to the lazy and denial folks who are going to ride it out until alligators and snakes are swimming around outside. 🤣

There should be a contingency plan in place to evacuate those who cannot afford to leave for whatever reason.

One idea would be to build more shelters capable of withstanding hurricane force winds.

The talking heads are more concerned about the eroded beach and destroyed property (houses, piers, docks, yachts, etc.).

The wealthy people could afford to leave and they have enough money and insurance to weather natural disasters and rebuild.

Of course, there's little to no incentive to take care of the less fortunate.

However, they're doing a much better job with Floridians than they did with the folks in New Orleans and Puerto Rico. 😎

Troy

Well I'm glad my brother is around safe and sound...lol.

You might want to RE-consider your residence in Florida.

If the hurricanes don't get you....them damn gators will, lol.

etwas Ärmel Natur crocs alligaters names kinder Leben Mob Franse

"These niggaz think we playin' up in here....lol."

Yeah some people are stupid, foolish, lazy, ect....
But I would think the MAJORITY (atleast 60%) of those who don't evacuate their cities because of natural disasters despite government orders is because:

1. They don't have a personal vehicle to just pick up, pack their things in and leave in.

2. They don't have the money to afford to pay for themselves and their families to stay in motels.

3. They have disabilities that limit their ability to physically move.

4. A large portion of the population are HOMELESS and suffer from all 3 of the previous reasons.

Remember, you're talking about the REAL America...not the America they show on television and Fox News where everyone has cars, money, and own their own houses.

If this nation were governed like many of the nations in Europe and Korea, Florida would be lined with high-speed trains for mass and rapid evacuation to already established shelter areas stocked with food, medicine, and other emergency supplies.

I think THIS government is counting on natural disasters to help reduce the population.

44 minutes ago, Pioneer1 said:

...mass and rapid evacuation to already established shelter areas stocked with food, medicine, and other emergency supplies.

Agreed. That's along the lines of a contingency plan I was referring to above. 

Regardless of the financial or physical situation of the citizens, America can afford to provide the infrastructure for transportation and safe harbor and care under any circumstance whether it's a natural disaster or an attack or a war.

Unfortunately, the real America is motivated by money:

image.png.b3a15f815e5b39ed0892bd3d61138f8f.png

It's really the responsibility of government  to get these types of things done. Instead, they leave it up to capitalists. 😎

ProfD

Unfortunately, the real America is motivated by money:

Although it's a rare occasion....lol....I don't like disagreeing with you.
Especially after you've just agreed with me concerning the same subject.  However I have to step in and say.

WE (you, I, and the other tens of millions of AfroAmericans) are the REAL America and REAL Americans.

Rather I'd say the White racists IN America are motivated by money....just like the ones in every other nation they are found in are motivated by money.
Makes no difference where you find these racist devils or what nation they claim or reside in....they all think and behave similarly.

If WE (as Black Americans) decide we want to shift the federal funds from going to Ukraine or some redneck corn kicker in Iowa and redirect them towards building solid and sound infrastructures in Louisiana, Florida, and all along the Gulf Coast in the communities OUR people are living..who's gonna stop us?

There's no way on this green Earth they would be able to stop and stand in our way if we as AfroAmericans MADE UP OUR MINDS to take advantage of the wealth and resources of this nation to better ourselves and condition.  

Maybe a little resistance from some dumb ones, but the smartest White folks would just stand to the side the hell out of the way and shrug their shoulders while we're building and hope and wait for the bickering and infighting among our people to start.

5 hours ago, Pioneer1 said:

Although it's a rare occasion....lol....I don't like disagreeing with you.

It's all good bro, disagreement can lead to constructive dialog instead of an argument.😁

It will take a whole lot for AfroAmericans to dictate how federal funds are spent especially when we make up a small percentage of the population.

The 1st thing we'd have to do is convince middle- and working class and poor white folks that whatever we propose to do is within their best interests too.

Considering the love some of those white folks have for the GOP and their European ancestry and believing they are better off than Black folks...getting through to them will be a tough hill to climb.😎

ProfD

I think we'd be wasting our time trying to convince White people of any socio-economic class to do the right thing and allow fellow Americans to receive help using their tax dollars.
I think when a Black man/woman gets in office and is in a position to do so....they should just USE the money to build the necessary infrastructure and help those who need help and let the consequences come.
Racists are our enemies.
You'll never convince them to use their money to help Black and Brown people.

They hate you because you're Black but the mistreat you because they CAN.

In other words, the goal shouldn't be to appeal to the conscience and morality of White people anymore.
Those days dies with Martin Luther King.
Today it's about grabbing power and then EXERTING that power once you've acquired it.

John Amos GIF - John Amos Good - Discover & Share GIFs

"I'm in charge now sucka.
We're gonna use the money the way I see fit."

2 hours ago, Pioneer1 said:

Today it's about grabbing power and then EXERTING that power once you've acquired it.

I like it but democracy doesn't work that way.

Last POTUS found out the hard way with his azz in the seat. He couldn't get that wall half way built. 😁

Otherwise, one would have to be a dictator in order to exert that kind of power.😎

Side bar: Interestingly i posted that alligator video, from my phone, on YouTube just to allow it to be easily shared here.

In the 8 hours it has been up it has been viewed over 26,600 times! I never posted a video that has been viewed that many times in such a short period of time. Those views don’t even count the ones here (YouTube only counts the ones on their site).

Now I’ve posted professionally produced videos that I have worked to promote, but this throw away video beat them all.

Let’s see what happens on TikTok 🙂

Will these videos drive traffic to the site? Will the 31 new subscribers be interested The the videos i normally post?

1B110846-084F-4401-BFA7-AF58BCFC21BC.jpeg

1 hour ago, Pioneer1 said:

I'm inclined to say that democracy doesn't work AT ALL....lol.....but......

It seems to be keeping all h8ll from breaking loose in this country with a population of 345 million people. 😁

As mentioned jn another thread, America is such a melting that democracy is the only system that will work. Well, at least until a dictator rises up.

On a positive, it would be great for American leader(s) to emerge appealing to citizens regardless of their party affiliation and pulling both sides together.😎

ProfD

It seems to be keeping all h8ll from breaking loose in this country with a population of 345 million people. 

Perhaps that might be part of the problem!

The system is keeping things together that SHOULDN'T be together.

Perhaps this society of racism and injustice should have collapsed a long time ago but a system is put in place to keep it on life support and keep it sputtering along....as it ruins more lives.

During the Pandemic.....so many were in a hurry for things to get back "to normal"....but I wasn't.

I even saw a homeless dude on television talking about "we need to get back to normal in this society".

Looking Past Parking Lots: Socially Just Interventions for Our Homeless  Neighbors During COVID-19 - SocialWorker.com

"Boy I wish things would open back up  so we can hurry up and get back to normal"

For that man, "normal" is being broke and homeless!
Now why in the HELL would a fool be in a hurry to get back to that??????