What is a 613 Helmet!? Trip to the Black Owned Business

What is a 613 Helmet!? Trip to the Black Owned Business

Oh My God! Please help me to get some travel money so that I can go to the Turkey Hut!

This is on my bucket list.

I first heard of this Black owned business in Houston, Texas from a viral video posted by a black own vlog site called Pink Book Lessons of which she mentioned a disrespectful Black woman who went to the restaurant this past September 4, 2022, to make a publicity stunt to go against the dress code policy. So, she referred to this woman as wearing a 613 Helmet and also a 304. It took me a google moment to find out the meanings and so, 613 helmet refers to the blonde wig that this woman wore and 304 is an urban slang word which means ‘Whore’ [i.e., HOE]. Apparently, 304 stems from turning a calculator upside down and when the number 304 is read it spells hoe’! LOL. At any rate, this restaurant was opened and operated by a Black woman, and it has become so famous that many celebrities go there. People stand outside in two-hour lines to be able to experience the mouth-watering food! So as for me, I would have no problem with the dress code:

The Turkey Leg Hut dress code policy states:

*no excessively revealing clothing (shorts must cover your entire bottom)

*no obscene language or baggy clothing

*no house attire (including wave caps, du-rags, house shoes or shower caps)

*no exposed undergarments (including sports bras, bras, panties or garments resembling these items)

*no swimwear of any kind

Man! I remember when I had to take refuge a few years back and travelled all the way across America to St. Louis, Missouri and by happenstance, turned into the driveway of Sweetie Pie’s restaurant and learned how famous it was but now, This Turkey Leg Hut and piqued my interest even more! Sweetie Pie’s was also founded by a Black woman who was a backup singer for Tina Turner and like Turkey Leg Hut, her restaurant became so famous that people will travel from far away and stand in long lines just for the experience.

Now, at Turkey Leg Hut, people come from places all around the world to eat at this restaurant. Famous people like Snoop Dog and Kevin Hart and many more also visited and endorse it. Even the African Diaspora Channel featured this restaurant because the Gentrification type communities that sprung up in this once dominant Black community sued the owners due to the smoke that they claimed was a problem in the community! However, so many kinds of people patronize this establishment and so, because of the many kinds of people that come to it, the owners soon listed a dress code and so, these viral videos posted will show the true story of how this restaurant has become so famous. And the viral video by Pink Book Lessons, etc. will also explain more about this amazing restaurant and the kind of negativity that actually came from Black women.

Two strikes against this spot...1) I'm not a fan of turkey legs. 2) As an old man, I no longer wait in long lines to be seated in a restaurant.😁

If I cannot be seated within a few minutes of walking in, I'll take my business elsewhere. There are plenty places to eat.

I'm sure the Turkey Hut has something on the menu I could appreciate. If/when I visit H-Town I'll check into it. No waiting around though. 😁😎

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, ProfD said:

) I'm not a fan of turkey legs. 2) As an old man, I no longer wait in long lines to be seated in a restaurant.

exactly!

business sometimes create line to create the illusion of high demand discotheques issued to do this. 

23 hours ago, ProfD said:

I'm sure the Turkey Hut has something on the menu I could appreciate. If/when I visit H-Town I'll check into it. No waiting around though. 😁😎

LOL. Okay, @ProfD

Maybe by the time you go, the lines will not exist anymore and you can just walk right in!

Unfortunately for me, I LOVE turkey legs! I love turkey wings too, etc.

I can't imagine waiting in a 2 hour line though, but if I had the chance to visit Turkey Leg Hut, I would try to go and see if I could bring a 'tailigate stool' or something.

17 hours ago, Pioneer1 said:

I've heard about the great food and long lines in that Texas heat.

Well, I thought I might have heard of it before too.

12 hours ago, Chevdove said:

Unfortunately for me, I LOVE turkey legs! I love turkey wings too, etc.

There is something about turkey legs and wings that reminds me of this:

image.jpeg.c50975a35870bbee61f79acdf7168f7b.jpeg

Otherwise, if I didn't love that yard bird pimp aka chicken, I could almost be a vegetarian. 🤣

I don't care for chicken on steroids either. 

Don't know if it's just a local thing but some places sell chicken parts that look like turkey legs and wings.

Folks think they are getting more for their money buying and eating those over-sized wings.  None for me please. 😁😎

• Haha 1

I love turkey.
My Father didn't care too much for it though when our family ate it.
He said it looked too much like a buzzard....lol.

Actually, turkeys ARE out of the buzzard/vulture family.
If you ever see a wild one, it's bald and looks just like any other buzzard.

606 Wild Turkey Strutting Stock Photos, Pictures & Royalty-Free Images -  iStock

It simply doesn't look like something that should be eaten.

My only issue with The Turkey Leg Hut is the same as I have with Roscoe's Chicken-n-Waffles......
It's not enough of them.
They should go NATION WIDE.

The problem with a lot of soul food restaurants is that they don't want to expand and make soul food global like other groups.
Italians, Chinese, Mexicans....their food is global now.
Thanks to the United States actually.....
And now children of all races enjoy tacos and pizza and egg rolls when 100 years ago they probably wouldn't put their noses near it.

We need to do the same thing with AfroAmerican cuisine and make it a global phenomenon.

5 hours ago, Pioneer1 said:

My only issue with The Turkey Leg Hut is the same as I have with Roscoe's Chicken-n-Waffles......
It's not enough of them.
They should go NATION WIDE.

The problem with a lot of soul food restaurants is that they don't want to expand and make soul food global like other groups.

Going nationwide requires a huge capital investment.

If Black folks took every dime they spent eating in non-Black owned fast food joints and restaurants, they could franchise a Roscoe's Chicken & Waffles or

Turkey Leg  Hut in every major Black city in America. 😎

21 hours ago, ProfD said:

Going nationwide requires a huge capital investment.

If Black folks took every dime they spent eating in non-Black owned fast food joints and restaurants, they could franchise a Roscoe's Chicken & Waffles or

If......😏

But as the old saying goes, if "if" were a fifth..........lol.

• Haha 1

On 10/11/2022 at 5:29 PM, Pioneer1 said:

It simply doesn't look like something that should be eaten.

LOL @Pioneer1 True.

On 10/11/2022 at 5:29 PM, Pioneer1 said:

We need to do the same thing with AfroAmerican cuisine and make it a global phenomenon.

True again.

On 10/11/2022 at 11:13 PM, ProfD said:

True. I have loved a lot of soul food restaurants in local areas but when I moved away, that was it.