Lupita Nyongo truth and more

Lupita Nyongo also said no to Natalie Portman so Nyongo wants to guide her career a certain way. No black on black hate.
Free film, the black dragon's revenge
Is Kanye West Cancelled - from Bad Faith , with Olayemi Olurin
Art Block and Burnout from Chrissabug
Twenty eight stories free to read online from Black authors

All content free to view on the following link
https://aalbc.com/tc/profile/6477-richardmurray/?status=2120&type=status

11 hours ago, richardmurray said:

Happy to read this article on Lupita.

She did not bash the film, she pretty much said that the role was not right for her.

she wrote

“I think to be culturally prosperous, to be artistically prosperous as a people, is to have options.

I personally love a good Marvel movie, but it doesn’t take me away from really wanting the little

character-driven film,” the Us actress shared. “I believe in the fight for those things to be kept alive

because the one thing we always want, the ultimate privilege, is choice.”

https://shadowandact.com/lupita-nyongo-on-why-she-decided-not-to-star-in-the-woman-king

Lupita Nyongo also said no to Natalie Portman so Nyongo wants to guide her career a certain way. No black on black hate.

Love it! 

@Chevdoveexactly, the role wasn't right for where she wants her career to go, she wants to do smaller films, independent films. And she is right, as I know, from personal experience, the entertainment world has become very hard for new things. The entertainment world makes it very hard for writers/artists/musicians who are not doing the big budget work. I respect lupita for wanting to be part of those projects. and offering the chance for unknowns to get high profile opportunities next to viola davis or natalie portman.

@ProfDyour word choice is dangerous. Lupita wasn't suggesting what she is doing is better or worse than anybody else, she said she is using the ability to choose what she wants to do. She didn't suggest it will yield betterment, she wants it to but she didn't say her choices must.

and to any, can we get an apology for Viola Davis... people used the false claim that lupita nyongo had some negative personal issue to viola davis connecting to some inherent black on black crime in the woman king, all false, all lies, and spread so much ahhh

20 minutes ago, richardmurray said:

your word choice is dangerous. Lupita wasn't suggesting what she is doing is better or worse than anybody else, she said she is using the ability to choose what she wants to do. She didn't suggest it will yield betterment, she wants it to but she didn't say her choices must.

My word choice isn't dangerous unless you read something different into it.

There's nothing inherently wrong with whatever Lupita *chooses* to do.

Sista Viola Davis doesn't need an apology either.  She's a smart woman who was well aware of any potential backlash when she took on the project. 

There is no smoke or fire here.😎

@ProfD

yes, I am not suggesting you are blowing smoke or making fires.

I said dangerous as in the danger of misinterpretation. which happens to everyone online, no matter what anyone say. 

I just feel Lupita's point is ...nothing is inherently wrong with whatever anyone chooses to do, that everyone wants to make a proud body of work or be successful.

22 hours ago, richardmurray said:

I said dangerous as in the danger of misinterpretation. which happens to everyone online, no matter what anyone say.

The potential for misinterpretation is high on a public forum where we rely on written words.

We do not have the benefit of being able to hear or see body language. But, we get through it by clarification if necessary.

If anyone misunderstands anything I write, upon request, I'm willing to clarify my position within reason.

Otherwise, I think we fundamentally agree on Lupita's  position.😎

Not sure what Lupita's position is, but that is one of the most beautiful women in Hollywood today.

That is such an attractive young lady and she's all Black.
Not mixed up and of questionable racial origin, but clearly a dark skinned Black woman of radiant beauty.
As is Viola Davis.

Lupita Nyong'o is Writing a Children's Book About Self Love | Office of  Equity, Diversity and Inclusion

Women like her and Lauryn Hill give us a hint of how beautiful our people were when in their original state.

1 hour ago, Pioneer1 said:

Not sure what Lupita's position is, but that is one of the most beautiful women in Hollywood today.

Women like her and Lauryn Hill give us a hint of how beautiful our people were when in their original state.

Yes indeed.

Natural Black beauty is a welcomed sight as opposed to the eyelashes, hair weave, silicone and heavily made-up sistas running around out in these streets.😁😎

• Haha 1

On 10/21/2022 at 3:01 PM, richardmurray said:

The entertainment world makes it very hard for writers/artists/musicians who are not doing the big budget work.

Yes, @richardmurray I believe this too. IMO, producers have to put out a lot of money, probably their own money, in order to produce films that are not big budgent. 

I saw the credits on the documentary that Lupita filmed about the Dahomy, and she produced it! 

It's amazing to me though, in that some Black people are angry about others who don't like this new film, however, Lupita said that she, herself, did the movie Black Panther, and at the time she did not know much about the Warrior women, and that was her reason for researching. She learned about the history only after she went to Africa and filmed and it did surprise her!  

@Chevdove yes and all to often independent film makers don't list the money they borrowed for a film. Which can be done against their name. When whoopie goldberg did mom's mabely film she needed crowdsourcing and people were surprised. what they didn't realize is that even though she was the executive producer she needed loan money she couldn't get for a mom's mabley  film. I don't imagine many bank executives knew of mom's mabley.

right and lupita is from east africa, not west africa. she has a more regional connection to the slavery activities around zanzibar or other muslim states in or around east africa.  Which most black people in the usa are very unfamiliar with. 

On 10/23/2022 at 4:47 AM, richardmurray said:

I don't imagine many bank executives knew of mom's mabley.

@richardmurray Yes, I agree. But I've heard of her and did not know, though that Whoopie invested in a film about her. 

On 10/23/2022 at 4:47 AM, richardmurray said:

right and lupita is from east africa, not west africa. she has a more regional connection to the slavery activities around zanzibar or other muslim states in or around east africa.  Which most black people in the usa are very unfamiliar with. 

So true. I too am connected to what happened in the East Africa aspect of the Trans atlantic slave trade and the muslim involvement from that region on my maternal side as Lupita. My son ancestry test showed a lot of that in his blood and also, Kenya, India, etc. But I also know about the West African aspect too as my maternal grandfather came from that side.

However, the muslim involvement hit Africa globally, the West African experience and the East African experience of the slave trade and with the Arab involvement as well. Based on my research, in East Africa, a lot of the victims were stolen and so, they were forced into the slave ships with no one getting paid for the victims, as is the oral story of what happened to my ancestor. Once she ended up in America, she was bought and so, at this time, I guess, the thieves were paid at this time.

However, in West Africa, it was other Africans that were stealing other Africans in other villages and then they were paid byway of the Europeans in exchange for guns, gun powder and etc.

What Lupita did in doing the research and producing her film was very responsible and all of African seems to be dealing with this subject and should no matter if it was east or west or south, etc. What happened in the Dark continent for hundreds of years IMO, will impact humanity for a long time to come. It was wrong.

I believe that before films are featured, research should be done initially and especially when it comes to the slave ship trade.

I just cannot wrap my head around lying and making a movie about women heroes that were themselves, seemingly enslaved and engaged in the selling of millions of other slaves. Human sacrifice is evil and should never be downplayed or excused away as a theme to change and make more money.

@Chevdove oh, well glad I informed:) it was a great documentary film. was fair to mom's mabley. For those who love comedians it is a gem. 

In my assessment of history , east africa  or west africa had black people involved in stealing other black people. 

For me, I don't find insult in the dahomey female warriors. I have known about them since I was a kid. I knew they served the king of dahomey, who legends say, was presented as a boogeyman to the children of west africa. This is again an ancient thing, common throughout all humanity, usually unbounded.   Anyone can be enslaved in dahomey, just like in the roman empire, just like in qin, just like in tenochtichlan. The American continent post 1492 was the first place that made slavery bounded. All of a sudden, a white man , no money , illiterate, alone, can not be enslaved. In the roman empire, he would be enslaved. Someone would catch him. 

If any group that dealt with high volumes of enslaving other individuals can not have a movie made about them then, no movie should be made concerning any history before the 1900s. And then the question is, why should the black communities old or ancient slavers be undepicted while everyone else's is? 

But comprehend Chevdone , I know your thinking. I am not saying I concur to your thinking but I comprehend it. 

Al sharpton who I strategically oppose, said a simple truth, about Black people committing violence in the USA,

if you are going to preach nonviolence you have to be nonviolent yourself. it is lead by example. It means black non violent leaders chastise black people committing violence.  It doesn't mean other communities follow yours or follow the black community. It means you don't just talk the talk, you walk the walk, and demand others in your community do the same, no matter the outcome. 

Black statians from Frederick douglass onward has always upheld the idea that government protected universal individual rights is more important than black advantages. It isn't that they hate Black collective or communal activity, but their idea is, even if Black groups are poor , if all Black individuals have a platform to positive, that can make everybody in the black community positive even if the black community collective management is poor. 

I comprehend why this beautiful film, in art or production,  in my view, is insulting to you. It isn't just slavery, it is black people involved in it, like an everyday. You like quite a few others in this forum champion government protected universal individual rights, by default slavery allowed under any government means that government does not protected universal individual rights, and I comprehend why you have such negativity to that. 

• Like 1

On 10/24/2022 at 5:45 PM, richardmurray said:

You like quite a few others in this forum champion government protected universal individual rights, by default slavery allowed under any government means that government does not protected universal individual rights, and I comprehend why you have such negativity to that. 

@richardmurray yes, thank you. You write so well. Thank you so much for this. 

• Like 1