The Lena BAker Domestic Violence and Women's HEalth Summit

MY COMMENTS in a video of the series 

It is not always fear, sometimes it is desire. If a white man owns a business and has a sign,  no black people, is it fear? A person has the right to want to only serve a certain people. But , the problem is, in a country that invites or publicly states it is for all people, how do you have people who don't want to be around all types side people who do want to be around all types ?

circa 10:00 It is not always fear, sometimes it is desire. If a white man owns a business and has a sign,  no black people, is it fear? A person has the right to want to only serve a certain people. But , the problem is, in a country that invites or publicly states it is for all people, how do you have people who don't want to be around all types side people who do want to be around all types ? 
circa 18:00 I oppose the idea of focusing on the youth. I concur to Dr. Camelia Straughn that people do not change , I amend, specifically to being bullied or pushed or canceled. But, history proves negative bias is emitted by youth when people think the youth are enlightened from the elders. I think all need to be focused on. The problem is, and you see this with the cancel culture, the youth in the usa who are supposedly liberal are very constrictive or restrictive in what they can accept being said, which means they are replacing a rigid culture to another.
circa 21:00 I concur to Loretta Green that people in the usa do not acknowledge problems. The biggest is the native american. Most liberals in the usa  don't acknowledge the inability of liberalism to empower the most oppressed people in the USA or before it. Those people being the native american. But why? Like those who ancestors were enslaved, the scope of the problem is massive. So it is financially or organizationally easier to evade admitting a problem, then to admit a problem and then have to deal with healing from it. It is easier to say, all is good now.
circa 28:00 great point from Loretta, I add to her point that Black people in the USA itself are unwilling to accept the structural problem with descendents of enslaved people's having to wait later to get what other people of color: non european whites, have been able to have with an existence in the usa after 1965 
circa 31:00 yes, Curtis Mayfield comprehended the complexity of a country where the peoples in it are not on the same page. James Baldwin said it simply. The world is not white, and the world is not black either. I admit, I have never felt fear walking in harlem. ... I add that Baldwin suggested the key is flexibility. His father wasn't flexible. His father was a black man who hated whites, to the bone. But couldn't retaliate or injure whites, so the hate is deep inside, and anything that has involvement from whites which means the entire government of the usa, is hated by such a black person. 
circa 35:00 Maybe one day, the day a Black woman doesn't have to be strong no matter what in the USA, will be a great day
circa 41:00 great point about Loretta about the problem with speaking to doctors who are not as delicate to their role as guide. The scene in a film, as good as it gets, says it all. The female lead in the film is a mother with a child who is going to doctors constantly, but only when the male lead provides a private doctor is her son properly diagnosed. The point, doctors are business people, and if you don't have money, most will treat you as the lawyers do to the fiscal poor in a court room. 
circa 44:00 Important point by Bablak, the quality of advocacy , which doesn't mean from elected officials but from community agents, has changed since the legendary 1960s. It can be argued it is less than, fro a larger perspective. But her point that it needs to be stronger from the individual is functional. I think the affordable care act, never spoke to quality of care, and focused on accesible care. So everyone can afford healthcare theoretically but the quality of healthcare that most can afford is very low quality.But quality is expensive.
Circa 48:00 Straughn speaks that people carry trauma's in them but I argue that all children reflect the negativty from their parents. If your parents in a white town in appalachia or a black town in mississippi or a native american reservation in a western state are unhappy and full of negativity or doubts then the children will reflect that in various negative ways.
circa 51:00 I concur to loretta 100% , I feel black elders in the past were done a disservice by their children or grandchildren who could write, by not getting them to tell their stories. Zora Neale Hurston was right. 
IN CONCLUSION
The theme of the multiracial populace having problems handling itself in the USA is common as it was how the usa started. 
I think the youth may not be the answer some suggest. But I will say that all peoples in the usa need guidance to what the usa has never been, a country where all groups or individuals are empowered.

• Like 1

On 10/30/2022 at 8:29 PM, richardmurray said:

The point, doctors are business people, and if you don't have money, most will treat you as the lawyers do to the fiscal poor in a court room. 

On 10/30/2022 at 8:29 PM, richardmurray said:

I think the affordable care act, never spoke to quality of care, and focused on accesible care. So everyone can afford healthcare theoretically but the quality of healthcare that most can afford is very low quality.But quality is expensive.

Yes, reading this really cuts deep for me. Before the affordable care act, I was able to pay for my insurance and get 'better care' than I do now. But after the affordable care act, it seems to me that REGULAR INSURANCE is completely out of range for me, and so, I have to settle for 'cheap insurance' and the doctor's are so cold and impersonal, imo now. I hate getting to the point that I know I should be seen by a doctor, because, they do not do much today, except to run stupid test that don't really give a complete diagnosis. It seems they only rely on these routine test and if nothing shows up that matches their books, then, they say you are going to okay. Go home. Take some ibuprofen. smh.

I remember a few years back, they sent me home twice, even though I went to two different clinics, but then, only when A LITTLE, and I stress, A LITTE blood showed up in my urine sample, did the doctor send me for an MRI. However, by that time, guess what!?

NOTHNG SHOWED UP in the MRI! 

So the summary on the report for me coming in and having A LITTLE BLOOD show up in my urine sample, was that I must have had a kidney stone and by the time that I went through the MRI, I MUST HAVE PAST THE DARN STONE! smh. 

Anyway, that was the last time, I ate brussel sprouts, back-to-back, for days! 

I figured that out myself, after the horor, and no doctor offered me any advice as to why I had tha experience. 

Just giving these doctors income to submit to whatever the government tells them. 

I guess I should have tried to be a doctor. ... 

FOUND IT!

I never heard of this story!!!

The Lena Baker Story! 

I see that the summit is already over. 

This year's Lena Baker Women's Health & Domestic Violence Summit will explore the mental health affects of continuous physical and physiological traumas that plague American descendants of the slavocratic system (ADOSS) through the music of Curtis Mayfield (Jun 03, 1942 - Dec 26, 1999). ... 

OCT. 27-12 noon, est: Series One: "We the People Who Are Darker Than Blue" When Colorism Destroy the Heart"

Based on the lyrics this conversation will consider the difficulties of addressing skin hue among women of color. 

https://www.eventbrite.com/e/we-the-people-who-are-darker-than-blue-mental-health-series-tickets-314560447767

I also never heard of the term ADOSS!

And I just recently heard of the term FBA, Foundational Black American, due to reading something that @Pioneer1 had posted in another thread.

You know, it's articles like this that I am so happy I have found this community that was started by @Troy.

I've never heard of Lena Baker and in fact, a film about her life. What a horrible predicament. 

It was stated by the coach of Ms. Griner, when the news came about her appeal that she lost. The coach said, it was a GUT PUNCH.

And, that's how I feel when I read about Lena Baker.

As a Black female, these stories hit me in a painfully personal way. 

I also feel the slap when you wrote this, 

"circa 51:00 I concur to loretta 100% , I feel black elders in the past were done a disservice by their

children or grandchildren who could write, by not getting them to tell their stories. Zora Neale Hurston was right."

Yes, that hurts, because I have been dealing with this issue for years. I want to write but, then it's not as easily as people may think. The feeling of rejection and wasting my time, is a continual feeling that holds me back.  

And speaking of the author Zora Neale Hurston, I bought a book from AALBC a few years back written by her called BARRACOON and in this book, a in depth description of the women warriors of Dahomey was written about! Man! It's horrible. I think the affects of slavery has a long reaching affect on us ADOSS, ADOS, and FBA and etc. Amercan Indians too. 

@Chevdove your story joins quite a few others offline from my offline friends about healthcare challenges. 

YEs, glad you found loretta green, she is cool. 

yes, foundational black americans is a term gaining traction in use.

glad you have been aided or informed:) 

and keep trying, all anyone can do it try, if you keep trying the writing will come

• Like 1

On 11/4/2022 at 7:43 AM, Chevdove said:

I remember a few years back, they sent me home twice, even though I went to two different clinics, but then, only when A LITTLE, and I stress, A LITTE blood showed up in my urine sample, did the doctor send me for an MRI. However, by that time, guess what!?

NOTHNG SHOWED UP in the MRI! 

So the summary on the report for me coming in and having A LITTLE BLOOD show up in my urine sample, was that I must have had a kidney stone and by the time that I went through the MRI, I MUST HAVE PAST THE DARN STONE! smh. 

Anyway, that was the last time, I ate brussel sprouts, back-to-back, for days! 

I figured that out myself, after the horor, and no doctor offered me any advice as to why I had tha experience. 

Just giving these doctors income to submit to whatever the government tells them. 

I guess I should have tried to be a doctor. ... 

Oh no.....
Were you in a lot of pain???

They say kidney stones are the most painful things you can ever experience.

On 11/7/2022 at 5:20 AM, Pioneer1 said:

Oh no.....
Were you in a lot of pain???

They say kidney stones are the most painful things you can ever experience.

Yes, it was a very painful experience! But the emergency room doctor that sent me for the MRI said that I must have passed it before the MRI.