JASMIN GUY, A Different World, on The Breakfast Club

JASMIN GUY, A Different World, on The Breakfast Club

This showed up on my channel a few weeks ago. I loved this sitcom! And, I wondered what happened to it. 

I did not keep up with it back in the 90s because I was too busy with my family, however, it's nice to hear now, from Jasmine and Kadeem, and hear their assessment.

This is a brief video of the interview, but it was actually much longer. 

In the longer video too, both Jasmine and Kadeem mentioned that, even though the sitcom was based around HBCU's however, they did not go to any! I found that to be 'head scratching!" I think that if they had actually enrolled and went to one, it would be a huge plus for the whole endeavor. IMO, that should have been stressed in that they should have put some kind of effort towards doing just that. Anyway, I was surprised to also hear that some people actually chose to go to a HBCU do to this show!

I had already been going to college by the time I saw this show, I think[?] but I feel that it did a good job of depicting some aspects of it. I actually started out in another college but transferred. 

My experience at college, yes, an HBCU, was incredible. It was one of the best experiences of my life. 

• Like 1

Despite Bill Cosby being the Executive Producer of the show, NBC was able to pull those shenanigans.  The folks in control of the money always get the last word.

HBCUs are great.  While AfroAmericans have made strides in terms of education, we are still lagging behind other minorities and need to shore up our economic infrastructure. 

The future won't be as bright for a bunch of young AfroAmericans wielding a worthless piece of paper when white supremacists stop offering  job opportunities. 

Right now, there's an  effort underway to rollback Affirmative Action.  When that shoe drops, doors will close. 😎

When the smoke clears from the showdown between the white political right and the white political left, black folks may be faced with a dilemma when it comes to the aftermath  of what might end up being an out and out civil war.  If the right wingers prevail, which they may very well do, then their dismantling of democracy will call for a whole new approach by minority ethnicities.   The Millennials and GenZers might decide if they can't whip 'em , to join 'em,  compete as individuals, participate in equal opportunity exploitation, and let the chips fall where they may...  🤑

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Cynique said:

Maybe.  Maybe not. Depends on if they have the potential to generate profit. The coming generations have a different mind-set. 

Sure.  As long as they either 1) start businesses and/or 2) have something of value to offer. 

The hand out looking for a job from far Right white supremacists won't work in that hypothetical situation.😎

18 hours ago, ProfD said:

The folks in control of the money always get the last word.

That's pretty much what Jasmine said too. I remember too, in that show was sandwiched between Simpson's and another popular sitcom, and as she said, they could have arranged it differently. They had high rankings but after the powers that be, rearranged the placement of the show, they dropped. 

18 hours ago, ProfD said:

HBCUs are great.  While AfroAmericans have made strides in terms of education, we are still lagging behind other minorities and need to shore up our economic infrastructure. 

Absoltutely, but the question is how can we get ahead when it comes to economic infrastructure. You know, I remember reading about some professional ball players who started schools and such, and I wonder if this is making an impact. 

Also, in order to make improvements on how we do as far as education, we also need top rate educators as well, especially in the STEM programs. 

When it comes to measuring our intelligence, we don't do too well, statiscally too. 

29 minutes ago, Chevdove said:

the question is how can we get ahead when it comes to economic infrastructure.

AfroAmericans need to pool their resources to create businesses and spend money among ourselves instead of giving it back to White folks. 

As I've mentioned before, $1 should exchange hands between AfroAmericans 7-8 times before it leaves our community.😎

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Cynique said:

Maybe.  Maybe not. Depends on if they have the potential to generate profit. The coming generations have a different mind-set. 

Black people are the incubator for other people's wealth.

Black people are cultural prostitutes.

Blacks are not endangered.As long as enough whites want to see the souls of Black Folks 

• Like 1

• 5 months later...
On 11/3/2022 at 11:21 AM, Chevdove said:

This is a brief video of the interview, but it was actually much longer. 

The video I posted has been deleted so, I am posting another brief video about this show. There is a longer version of this interview as well.

On 11/3/2022 at 1:47 PM, ProfD said:

The future won't be as bright for a bunch of young AfroAmericans wielding a worthless piece of paper when white supremacists stop offering  job opportunities. 

Right now, there's an  effort underway to rollback Affirmative Action.  When that shoe drops, doors will close. 😎

I thought this comment was interesting. I am divided a little though about this subject but still do not know how to frame my words completely about how I feel completely. Sometimes, I wonder if Affirmative Action was given to 'handpicked' Blacks to fill a quota. Sometimes I wonder if it was given out to certain Blacks that did not use this to benefit the Black communities. And sometimes I wonder if it was given out to certain Blacks that were handpicked because the 'powers that be' expected them to fail and then, in turn, use this outcome to suggest that it was wrong to offer Affirmative Action to Blacks in the first place. At any rate, I came across this brief video and thought it was interesting. Recently, I have been listening to Amy Chen and have posted some of her content and again, I think she has made an interesting point:

Whaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaat......lol...is that brutha Kadeem "Dwayen Wayne" Hardison up there???

Brutha looks so different than he did 30 years ago, lol.
One of those examples of people's physiques changing that Troy was talking about.

I'd like to see Charlene Brown and Cree Summer now.

• Haha 1